Author Topic: Nadal vs. Federer at Wimbledon  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Somil

• Tennis God
Re: Nadal vs. Federer at Wimbledon
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 05:26:28 AM »
Also, I agree, even as a Federer fan, the Wimbledon match was the best match I've ever seen (1981 was 12 years before I was born!). I still don't think either player played great tennis consistently in the match or played to the best of their ability, I think their Rome 2006 match was the best in that aspect, but I certainly think this match was the best for drama and entertainment.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2008, 08:20:42 AM »
That final was quite dreadful for me because I expected Nadal to close out the match in four. When it moved over to the 5th, I turned my TV off although I was taping, I just could't bare to watch it anymore. But I kept telling myself, "Rafa is way better than this. He's mentally much stronger than Roger and he really wants it. This is his and so he will win". That was my only hope. And I wasn't even a die-hard Rafa fan but I wanted him to win so badly just like I used to when Pete would be in a similar situation. Then I thought, "It's crazy. I am not getting involved this much ever again." I didn't have to since then.
You are everything I am not.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2008, 08:56:19 AM »
That final was quite dreadful for me because I expected Nadal to close out the match in four. When it moved over to the 5th, I turned my TV off although I was taping, I just could't bare to watch it anymore. But I kept telling myself, "Rafa is way better than this. He's mentally much stronger than Roger and he really wants it. This is his and so he will win". That was my only hope. And I wasn't even a die-hard Rafa fan but I wanted him to win so badly just like I used to when Pete would be in a similar situation. Then I thought, "It's crazy. I am not getting involved this much ever again." I didn't have to since then.

let me tell you one thing emma as you have brought this point...........no one, just no one else could have snatched that final set from federer(who fought remarkably well to his credit) under such pressure serving behind and after choking off sets 3 and 4...........goes to show the limitless will of nadal..........i knew that this title was simply his because he was simply the better man out there both physically and mentally..........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2008, 09:10:32 AM »

let me tell you one thing emma as you have brought this point...........no one, just no one else could have snatched that final set from federer(who fought remarkably well to his credit) under such pressure serving behind and after choking off sets 3 and 4...........goes to show the limitless will of nadal..........i knew that this title was simply his because he was simply the better man out there both physically and mentally..........

Fed did fight remarkably well. What a comeback in the 3rd! I did feel a lot sorry for Roger. It's sometimes feels wrong to have only one winner when both played so well.

The winner takes it all.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2008, 09:24:14 AM »

Fed did fight remarkably well. What a comeback in the 3rd! I did feel a lot sorry for Roger. It's sometimes feels wrong to have only one winner when both played so well.

The winner takes it all.

Hallajuhah!  At least SOMEONE is giving Roger a little credit for that match!  :whistle:

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2008, 09:26:19 AM »

The winner takes it all.

it was a good match and an entertaining match but the clay monster did not play all that well. you all know that he could have won that match in straight sets. he also had it in 4.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2008, 09:37:13 AM »

The winner takes it all.

Hallajuhah!  At least SOMEONE is giving Roger a little credit for that match!  :whistle:

Oh, I think we all did. Much of the tension arose from the fact that, right until the last minutes, it could have gone either way and that even so, there was a chance that darkness would intervene and completely upset the chess board.
Again, my main point is that this match was great for TENNIS.

On the other side, I think that other matches, such as the one referred to above:
If that's the Roddick-Djokovic one, BGT, I still think Andy would have won it if he had not goaded Nole earlier with his remarks about injury down-time. The hurt went deep as was shown after the match. Advice to both players. Sometimes it's best to just shut up :zipped: .
were not good for tennis and brought out its nasty side.  :mad1:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 09:44:48 AM by euroka1 »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2008, 09:42:53 AM »

The winner takes it all.

Oh, I think we all did. Much of the tension arose from the fact that, right until the last minutes, it could have gone either way and that even so, there was a chance that darkness would intervene and completely upset the chess board.
Again, my main point is that this match was great for TENNIS.

Not everyone.  I agree with you that it really could have gone either way, but reading some of the post from some of the Nadal fans...the only reason Roger was even in a 5th set was that Nadal choked.  They give no credit to Roger for getting it to the 5th set.  And then in the 5th really, it was anyone's game, but they don't see it that way.  Now, according to some - Nadal has a 'lock' on winning the next 4 or 5 Wimbledons and no one else has a chance (according to them... :whistle:).

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2008, 09:51:13 AM »
Under no circumstances was Nadal going to win in straight. It would be like Roger winning RG in straight. So whatever happened didn't surprise me to the least. I was hoping for a quicker ending simply because I was too desperate to see Nadal win it all.

Offline The Comeback Kid

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2008, 11:11:01 AM »
A lot of people maintain that Nadal should have won this match in straights and it only went to the 5th because Nadal choked in the TBs of the 3rd and 4th. But didn't Federer choke in the first couple of sets? The FO mauling was fresh in his mind and Nadal's brilliantly consistent level made Federer quiver with fear and miss all the opportunities he was presented with in those first 2 sets.

For example, in the first set, Nadal had broken first and was serving for the set. Federer got a chance to break back and stay alive in the set. I think he had 2 BPs in that game but he missed converting both. In the past, Federer would have taken his chances in such a big match..but it wasn't to be.

Then in the 2nd set, Federer broke first and was up 4-1. Surely the 5 time champion would make it 1-1. But no..the Monte Carlo and Hamburg finals came back to haunt him as he failed to win another game in the set. At 5-4 with Nadal serving, again Federer got to BP to level the set. But again..no luck for him as Nadal fended off 
any signs of danger.

Throwing away a 4-1 lead was a big choke, I mean with his serve on grass, and the confidence of a five time winner, he should have held two more service games to level the match..but he didn't. I could hardly believe Federer lost that second set the way he did. That was his chance to get back in the match and maybe even win it in 4. I dont know what happened, maybe the nerves got to him, maybe Nadal was not to be denied, but after the second set the match was all but over. Federer looked shaken and Nadal looked too strong for him on the day.

The fact that Federer came back from that 2-0 deficit to within two points of completing the greatest comeback of recent times means nothing. All that effort he put in the last three sets was too little too late. That second set should have never slipped away from his grasp.

Nadal deserved the win for his superior tennis that day. He didn't choke in the first two sets..and that was critical, as once Federer takes the lead it's hard to come back. And he deserved the win for his excellent serving..Federer tried and tried but could not break after the 2nd set. It was Nadal's serve in the end that proved to be the decisive factor. He held on in the 5th where Federer could not.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2008, 11:19:54 AM »
@@@A lot of people maintain that Nadal should have won this match in straights and it only went to the 5th because Nadal choked in the TBs of the 3rd and 4th. But didn't Federer choke in the first couple of sets?

the reason why many feel nadal choked is, it's very rare to see nadal gifting points to anyone out of pressure.........where as it's not that uncommon for federer..........he couldn't convert 17 break points in the french final 07, he couldn't convert 2 match points in rome final 06..........he couldn't convert big advantages into leads both at montecarlo and hamburg this year.........there are several other such incidents where he let many opportunities go........but it's uncommon with nadal..........he had a few break points in the wim 07 final in the last set but were snatched off by fed with some great serving..........when was the last time nadal choked off a 3-3 0-40 lead in a slam at such a critical moment? it's definitely a choke.........i remember he missed a couple of dolly forehands in that game..........and again at 5-2 in the 4th set TB, he double faults.........when did we see such a high level of choke from nadal before, having the match right in his grasp? 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 11:27:23 AM by shankar21 »
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline The Comeback Kid

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2008, 11:27:26 AM »
the reason why many feel nadal choked is, it's very rare to see nadal gifting points to anyone out of pressure.........where as it's not that uncommon for federer..........he couldn't convert 17 break points in the french final 07, he couldn't convert 2 match points in rome final 06..........he couldn't convert big advantages into leads both at montecarlo and hamburg this year.........there are several other such incidents where he let many opportunities go........but it's uncommon with nadal..........he had a few break points in the wim 07 final in the last set but were snatched off by fed with some great serving..........when was the last time nadal choked off a 3-3 0-40 lead in a slam at such a critical moment? it's definitely a choke.........i remember he missed a couple of dolly forehands in that game..........and again at 5-2 in the 4th set TB, he double faults.........when did we see such a high level of choke from nadal before, having the match right in his grasp? 

Well you saw Nadal choking in this match. As for Federer choking more often than Nadal, there's no doubt about that. Nadal is almost not human the way he holds his nerve. Everybody chokes more often than Nadal.

Also, one small point to remember, we have seen 5-6 years more of tennis from Roger than from Nadal so obviously you will be able to think of more instances where he choked.

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2008, 12:45:19 PM »
@@@A lot of people maintain that Nadal should have won this match in straights and it only went to the 5th because Nadal choked in the TBs of the 3rd and 4th. But didn't Federer choke in the first couple of sets?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkZmfZU-CiE&feature=related[/youtube]

3-3 0-40...........two second serves sitting in Nadal's strike zone.......I guess Roger still had that Aura of supremacy on grass and it ws very hard for Nadal seeing himself winning at that point!