Author Topic: Is Clijsters really back?  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
Is Clijsters really back?
« on: March 04, 2005, 07:01:44 PM »
Do you guys think that Kim Clisjters will be able to work her way up to the top of the game again? Will she ever win a Major? How do you think she'll handle some of the newer players that have really develop during her absence?
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline Betsmoyo

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 07:09:55 PM »
yes she will.
Its all good...

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 07:15:12 PM »
She was probably at her life's best in 02-03 and she failed to win a major then. Coming back from an injury, I'm thinking she'll be like a Seles -- making quarters maybe semis but never putting it together enough to win a major. I'm gonna say NO -- I think she'll linger around latter top 10...never breaking through again like she did before. She's still got talent but I dont htink she'll ever be the same again.

Offline trente-quinze

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 10:34:35 AM »
A few players like Sharapova or even Molik have improved a lot during Clijsters' time off but I don't see why people like Myskina, Kuznetsova or Mauresmo for instance should necessarily have the edge over an healthy Kim.

It's a bit early to write her off as a potential slam winner when she has played only one tournament.

I think Serena, Maria and Lindsay are the 3 players that stand out at the moment but Kim and Justine have as much chance as anybody else to challenge them even if it probably won't happen straight away.
the froggy chick formerly known as arnod

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 10:39:05 AM »
I do not write her off totally.  I think she has the ability to be in the top 6-8 again.  She seems to have problems finishing off the big matches.  

Lost in 2 finals of slams, and in the semis of another that she clearly should have won against Serena.  (Pros to Serena for being a fighter)

I think Kim has mad game.  But I also think she is not as mentally strong as some of the others.  I do not think that Davenport would have an edge if Clijsters was healthy, and I do not think Davenport will be around much longer.  Her AO final loss has to get her thinking a little, regardless if she is #1 in the world.

I think Kim is pretty quiet, determined and is fun to watch.  I would like to see her win a slam before she retires.  I think she will have to be back at full swing to pull that off though.

Yet another reason to be pumped about the coming slams!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 10:57:49 AM »
The most boring live tennis match I've watched was when Clijsters defeated Mauresmo in the finals of the WTA Championship 2 yrs ago.
Speaking of live tennis, I just got 4 free tickets to see Davis Cup dubs and I'm not sure I can make it. I'm doing OT at work because we're closing this week. Sucks!
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Offline SerenasBiggestFan

• Tennis God
  • "Oh Eddy, is it, is it a bee?" Patsy Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 11:18:52 AM »
with Kim and Justine for that matter, I dont think that either one will win a slam now that they have returned from injury. I think Kim has had her chances to win a slam, and she failed at all of them--minus the RG final against Jennifer.

I think Kim will be a solid top 10 player but I don't see her winning a slam.

As for Justine well I think that she's ready to leave tennis and be a wife and a mother. She's been gone for so long, that she will struggle when she does return, and I dont see her winning any slams either once she returns

"I was so caught up in the moment... now your just a memory burning in my mind..."

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 11:28:28 AM »
I have to disagree, if Henin comes back and player her tennis, I think she can take home some more slams.  She is tough as nails.
Scott Baker

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 12:00:41 PM »
Lost in 2 finals of slams, and in the semis of another that she clearly should have won against Serena. (Pros to Serena for being a fighter)

Actually, she lost in four finals: 04 Australian Open (to Justine), 03 U.S. Open (to Justine), 03 French Open (to Justine), and the 01 French Open (to Jennifer). When she was playing well, she still didn't win, so I think it will be even harder returning from injury.

Quote from: "Tennis4you"
I have to disagree, if Henin comes back and player her tennis, I think she can take home some more slams.  She is tough as nails.

She has decent chances at other slams and she has great chances at the French, but either Serena or Sharapova could eat her alive on other surfaces. But I'm eager to see her comeback, because I'd like to see how she matches up with today's crop of top players.

[/quote]

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2005, 12:15:09 PM »
Good call BBB, I missed 2 friggin slams, whoops!
Scott Baker

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2005, 02:50:11 PM »
Quote from: "trente-quinze"
A few players like Sharapova or even Molik have improved a lot during Clijsters' time off but I don't see why people like Myskina, Kuznetsova or Mauresmo for instance should necessarily have the edge over an healthy Kim.

It's a bit early to write her off as a potential slam winner when she has played only one tournament.

I think Serena, Maria and Lindsay are the 3 players that stand out at the moment but Kim and Justine have as much chance as anybody else to challenge them even if it probably won't happen straight away.

I agree it's to early to write her off. I think her best chance to win a slam will come at the French or the AO, But Henin hardenes best chances to win another slam will be at the French and AO as well. Henin pretty much had Kims number when they were both healthy. I think her chances on grass are very slim, Sharapova, Serena, Venus and Lindsay are just to good on grass. With Serana being capable of wining on any surface, Henin-hardene pretty much having her number and the up and coming players that can really play this game, I think that Kims chances are growing slimmer and slimmer. I hope she proves me wrong though.
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 01:50:53 PM »
People we have to remember one thing.   Even when Clijsters was at her peak she was completely "owned" by the big three-Serena Williams, Venus Williams, and Justine Henin-Hardenne in big matches.  She lost three straight times to Henin-Hardenne in slam finals, once a French Open final that would have been tough for her to win but she played far below her potential and lost a snoozer, one a U.S open final Henin needed IVs to even play and she choked away a chance, another an erratic Aussie Open final that Henin choked twice in and still Clijsters goofed up her chances in.    She lost an Aussie Open semifinal to Serena, where she choked away a 5-1, match point in the 3rd with timid, scared looking tennis to lose 6 straight games.    She lost a Wimbledon semi against to a badly injured Venus Williams after being up a set, and twice a break in the second by the then very sore Venus.

So how is she going to win a slam now that there are 7 or 8 contenders, when she couldnt when there were 3, even if none are as peaked, together, and imposing as Venus, Serena, and Henin all were during that span of one year(in my opinion nobody is playing as well as any of those three were during their span of success)?   It is clear she gets nervous anytime she plays a key match against somebody she knows can beat her.   I cant see her winning a slam personally.

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 02:45:05 AM »
You guys have it all wrong. Kim will prove you all wrong, she's going to come back better then ever. She's one of the most athletic and talented players on tour. And she's going to prove just how athletic and talented she is. Justine won't stand a chance anymore.

Ilovetennis

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 02:54:01 AM »
I think she's only 22 so atleast times on her side but that might be the only thing.imo

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2005, 04:26:19 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
People we have to remember one thing.   Even when Clijsters was at her peak she was completely "owned" by the big three-Serena Williams, Venus Williams, and Justine Henin-Hardenne in big matches.  She lost three straight times to Henin-Hardenne in slam finals, once a French Open final that would have been tough for her to win but she played far below her potential and lost a snoozer, one a U.S open final Henin needed IVs to even play and she choked away a chance, another an erratic Aussie Open final that Henin choked twice in and still Clijsters goofed up her chances in.    She lost an Aussie Open semifinal to Serena, where she choked away a 5-1, match point in the 3rd with timid, scared looking tennis to lose 6 straight games.    She lost a Wimbledon semi against to a badly injured Venus Williams after being up a set, and twice a break in the second by the then very sore Venus.

So how is she going to win a slam now that there are 7 or 8 contenders, when she couldnt when there were 3, even if none are as peaked, together, and imposing as Venus, Serena, and Henin all were during that span of one year(in my opinion nobody is playing as well as any of those three were during their span of success)?   It is clear she gets nervous anytime she plays a key match against somebody she knows can beat her.   I cant see her winning a slam personally.

Amen.

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2005, 05:16:17 PM »
Wow, It seems like most of you guys don't have allot of faith in Clisjters. Allot fo you guys made some good points. If she's going to win one she's going to have to get past those mental deamons that have been haunting her. There have been some players that have improved greatly during her absence. For instance Sharapova, How do you think those two will match up?

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2005, 08:22:33 AM »
I think Sharapova would probably overpower Clijsters.   Maria has shown she has the power to slug it out with a Serena Williams with regularity, which would have been something of a stretch to say for Clijsters, who played that same style.    Her ability to play it with such consistency(apart from her nervous breakdowns)is what give her a fighting chance under the right circumstances.    Ok true Serena was more dominating and imposing then than now to be sure, but my view still stands.    

I think Clijsters had a nice window of opportunity where she played some great tennis, circumstancs in many cases fell her way, facing Serena on an off day in the Aussie semis, facing an injured Venus in the Wimbledon semis, facing a depleted Henin in the U.S open final, facing a Henin feeling the pressure of now being the dominant #1 in the Aussie final, she failed to convert any of those.    I somewhat doubt what she can do without such vacant gaps, when she had a buffet of them which she puked away in a stretch of a year.    Womens tennis may not have the dominant figure that Venus, Serena, and to an extent Henin, all had periods of being, but it has even more contenders now than before, all who probably will believe they can beat Clijsters after her layoff to be sure.   As I said regarding Venus as well tennis is alot about momentum.   Just as Venus lost alot with the layoff and opponents establishing new positions, the same will be true in Clijsters return.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2005, 08:44:25 AM »
If they were on clay or a slower hardcourt I think Clijsters would do just fine, probably win on clay.  Grass on the other hand...
Scott Baker

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2005, 08:48:21 AM »
It's difficult to see her getting back to where she was, 'cause she has been gone for so long, but with hardwork it is possible. Only problem is, she didn't get a slam even when she was at her best, so it's hard to see it happening now after so much time.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2005, 08:50:44 AM »
Well I would strongly favor Sharapova on a hard court, even a slow hard court.    On clay Clijsters would win, if she were her old self though, until Maria matures on clay.    Grass would be a spanking probably.   Those are just my opinions though.   This is my accessment assuming the Clijsters of old.   There is no gaurantee she will ever get back there.   Maria is also likely to keep improving more in the short-term anyway.    No the rivalry doesnt look good for Kim if it happens.