Author Topic: Is Clijsters really back?  (Read 3111 times)

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
Is Clijsters really back?
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2005, 12:43:38 PM »
I don't know I think Cliisjters might have a good shot against Sharapova. I remember watching a Fed cup match where clisjters was playing the hard hitting Sprem. Clisjters had just come back from injury after a month or two off with her left hand in a cast, she went on to defeat Sprem something like 6-2 6-3. After seeing that match I realized just how good she really was. Sprem, Imo has a game very similiar to Sharapova, I think technique wise is better then Sharapova.  Clisjters was good on grass but Sharapova, Venus,Serena and Lindsay are made for grass. For her to ever win Wimbledon those four would have to be knocked out of the Tournament or having a off day. Clisjters is going to get allot of balls back against Sharpova which would probably force Maria to go for more and make some errors. She's powerful she can belt it out from the baseline with anybody. She's has better technique than Maria, I think she will be able to exploit Maria's lack of quickness which I don't think anyone has really done, Serena I feel started to do it at the YEC. Clisjters exploited Davenports lack of speed so well, which is not as easy as it may seem.

I do belive that it's all in her approach to the match up with Maria. I think when she played Venus, Serena and Justine she saw herself as the under dog. She didnt' play to win she played not to loose. So no matter what kind of lead she had her mind set was always that she was playing not to loose. I've seen her really take it to other players but with those three she approached the match feeling she was the under dog. If she approaches the match with Maria like she knows she should win it then she will if not then she will loose. But when I see players like Msykina winning a major and Dementivia geting to two major finals I think Kim is long over do.
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2005, 12:50:18 PM »
It's really weird that Myskina and Kuznetsova have won a slam each, where as Clijsters has none.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2005, 11:07:22 AM »
Quote from: "Pacer92110"
I don't know I think Cliisjters might have a good shot against Sharapova. I remember watching a Fed cup match where clisjters was playing the hard hitting Sprem. Clisjters had just come back from injury after a month or two off with her left hand in a cast, she went on to defeat Sprem something like 6-2 6-3. After seeing that match I realized just how good she really was. Sprem, Imo has a game very similiar to Sharapova, I think technique wise is better then Sharapova.  Clisjters was good on grass but Sharapova, Venus,Serena and Lindsay are made for grass. For her to ever win Wimbledon those four would have to be knocked out of the Tournament or having a off day. Clisjters is going to get allot of balls back against Sharpova which would probably force Maria to go for more and make some errors. She's powerful she can belt it out from the baseline with anybody. She's has better technique than Maria, I think she will be able to exploit Maria's lack of quickness which I don't think anyone has really done, Serena I feel started to do it at the YEC. Clisjters exploited Davenports lack of speed so well, which is not as easy as it may seem.

I do belive that it's all in her approach to the match up with Maria. I think when she played Venus, Serena and Justine she saw herself as the under dog. She didnt' play to win she played not to loose. So no matter what kind of lead she had her mind set was always that she was playing not to loose. I've seen her really take it to other players but with those three she approached the match feeling she was the under dog. If she approaches the match with Maria like she knows she should win it then she will if not then she will loose. But when I see players like Msykina winning a major and Dementivia geting to two major finals I think Kim is long over do.

I dont agree at all on your comparision between Sprem and Sharapova.    She is not just a Sharapova with better technique.   Sharapova is the reigning Wimbledon Champion, year-end champion, world 3, and Australian Open semifinalist.   Sprem has never come close to cracking the top 10, has a win over Venus as her only big win so far, and one slam quarter her only noteable slam result.   Sharapova is just as powerful off the ground and return, but far more on both first and second serve; far more consistent, and infinitely more intelligent on court than Sprem.   She creates better angles, has more variety, and is a much better competitor than Sprem as well.  I also dont agree Sprem has better technique, and even if she did, the best technique is not always the most effective.   Hingis has better technique than the Williams but it sure did was not more effective on her shots, the most effective shots are the best ones.

Myskina winning a slam and Dementieva reaching two slam finals you WILL NOT see again this year, I gaurantee it.

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2005, 12:06:54 PM »
Quote from: "kittens25"
Quote from: "Pacer92110"

I dont agree at all on your comparision between Sprem and Sharapova.    She is not just a Sharapova with better technique.   Sharapova is the reigning Wimbledon Champion, year-end champion, world 3, and Australian Open semifinalist.   Sprem has never come close to cracking the top 10, has a win over Venus as her only big win so far, and one slam quarter her only noteable slam result.   Sharapova is just as powerful off the ground and return, but far more on both first and second serve; far more consistent, and infinitely more intelligent on court than Sprem.   She creates better angles, has more variety, and is a much better competitor than Sprem as well.  I also dont agree Sprem has better technique, and even if she did, the best technique is not always the most effective.   Hingis has better technique than the Williams but it sure did was not more effective on her shots, the most effective shots are the best ones.

Myskina winning a slam and Dementieva reaching two slam finals you WILL NOT see again this year, I gaurantee it.

Being a competitive player myself maybe I have alittle more insight on what goes on in the mind of a competitive player.  I can see that you are a fan of Sharapova and that's great, but to say that Sharapova plays a more intelligent style of tennis then anyone is false. Sharapova has a supreme indiffrence to any kind of strategy or tactical play. She plays balls out and goes for winners.You may not likes Sprem but that fact is that they play the same style of tennis, balls out and go for winners every chance they get.  Because Sharapova won wimbledon doesn't mean the she and Sprem don't have the same style of play. The diffrence is that Sprem doesn't have the mental game of Sharapova at this point. You have to understand that once your in the top 50 or even top 100 everyone is so closely matched in skill that the one's with a better mental game are the ones who break through. Sharapova's mental game is stronger that's the diffrence. Also Sprem hasn't been around that long so top 10 is not out of the question for her.
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Anonymous

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2005, 01:15:53 PM »
I agree I think Karolina has allot of talent, she's young so she has time on her side. She'll make the top 10 some of the people there shouldn't be there anyway.

Anonymous

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2005, 09:17:48 AM »
Being a competitive player myself maybe I have alittle more insight on what goes on in the mind of a competitive player.  I can see that you are a fan of Sharapova and that's great, but to say that Sharapova plays a more intelligent style of tennis then anyone is false. Sharapova has a supreme indiffrence to any kind of strategy or tactical play. She plays balls out and goes for winners.You may not likes Sprem but that fact is that they play the same style of tennis, balls out and go for winners every chance they get.  Because Sharapova won wimbledon doesn't mean the she and Sprem don't have the same style of play. The diffrence is that Sprem doesn't have the mental game of Sharapova at this point. You have to understand that once your in the top 50 or even top 100 everyone is so closely matched in skill that the one's with a better mental game are the ones who break through. Sharapova's mental game is stronger that's the diffrence. Also Sprem hasn't been around that long so top 10 is not out of the question for her.

Ummm, I am sorry but being a competitive player does not give you the right to flaunt your self-righteousness on me.   I am just as able to give my opinion as you are.   Anyway you dont know if I am a competitive player or not, you dont even know me.  I am a overly partial fan of Sharapova because I notice her obvious superiority to Sprem, which you choose to be oblivious to, and because I believe she would beat Clijsters comfortably right now on most surfaces, which move side with me on interestingly.   So I am a biased Sharapova fan?   I think not, I could just as easily have said you are the anti-Sharapova, that makes alot more sense to me.    I did not say Sharapova was smarter than anybody out there, I said she was far more tactically aware on the court than Sprem, there is a big difference than being smarter than Sprem on court, and smarter than anybody.    Come back to me when Sprem gets anywhere near Sharapova in the rankings.   I wont hold my breath.

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2005, 11:32:40 AM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"

Ummm, I am sorry but being a competitive player does not give you the right to flaunt your self-righteousness on me.   I am just as able to give my opinion as you are.   Anyway you dont know if I am a competitive player or not, you dont even know me.  I am a overly partial fan of Sharapova because I notice her obvious superiority to Sprem, which you choose to be oblivious to, and because I believe she would beat Clijsters comfortably right now on most surfaces, which move side with me on interestingly.   So I am a biased Sharapova fan?   I think not, I could just as easily have said you are the anti-Sharapova, that makes alot more sense to me.    I did not say Sharapova was smarter than anybody out there, I said she was far more tactically aware on the court than Sprem, there is a big difference than being smarter than Sprem on court, and smarter than anybody.    Come back to me when Sprem gets anywhere near Sharapova in the rankings.   I wont hold my breath.

First the reason I even mentioned that I was a competitive player so that you could have some understanding of why I see things from my perspective. Maybe it's just me I like to know why people think the way they do. So you can understand why I believe it doesn't take allot of strategy or tactics  to play Sharapova's style of play, and why I beileve she and Sprem play the same style. Or why I think Sprem has better technique than Maria particularly on the forehand. What you call being more tactically aware I call being Mental tougher, having the will and belief, Playing the elite players more often then Sprem, better coaching. When Sharapova walks on the court she feels she should win no matter who it is, I've only seen this from Sprem maybe all of 3 matches. When Sharapova walks on the court with Daveport she see's herself as the one to beat, Sprem see's herself as the underdog. Sharapova is a force but it is my belief that when she learns to use strategy more effectively she will be even more of a force.

In most of my post I've had nothing but good things to say about Sharapova so for you to classify me as a anti-Sharapova fan is not fair. I'm not ant-anyone, I know how hard these athletes work so I don't put any of them down. As far as your opinion, everyone has one, how is my trying to give you why I see things from my perspective trying to keep you from expressing your opinion? As far is me not knowing you, as hostile as you seem in your post I'm not interested. I came to this board to discuss tennis with people from diffrent backgrounds and perspectives and I thought that is what was going on here but maybe I'm wrong. If your unclear about what I meant by something I've posted why don't you ask me to clarify instead of attacking me. My whole point was to say that Sprem plays a similar style to Sharapova and Clisjters played well agaisnt that style so I felt she'd match up well agaisnt Sharapova. That's my opinion from my perspective. If I've said something to offend you I apologize, sometimes things don't come out the way I really mean them. But to be honest I'm not interested in engaging in anymore conversations with you, you just seem to hostile and I dont want things like that in my life, I try to be as positive as possible. I'm only interested in friendly tennis conversation not hostile arguments.

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2005, 12:37:36 PM »
Pacer92110, just take these posts for what it is, nothing more. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. If you think Kitten is hostile toward you, you should read some posts between her and BBB  :))
It's a cat fight...tooth, claws, whips, shackles...sometimes they even throw in a kitchen sink just to get their point accross :whistle:
Then a few posts later, they agreed on something  ://
So don't take anything personal, we'd be crazy if we did.
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2005, 12:44:20 PM »
LOL, compared to the ESPN Boards that was like a happy hand shake. : )
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2005, 12:48:35 PM »
Quote from: "timd818"
Pacer92110, just take these posts for what it is, nothing more. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. If you think Kitten is hostile toward you, you should read some posts between her and BBB  :))
It's a cat fight...tooth, claws, whips, shackles...sometimes they even throw in a kitchen sink just to get their point accross :whistle:
Then a few posts later, they agreed on something  ://
So don't take anything personal, we'd be crazy if we did.

Ok, Thanks for that. :)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2005, 01:00:32 PM »
U are both awesome posters and I appreciate all of your insights.  It is nice to have a friendly board like we do, but I think some debate is nice here and there too.  Besides, we all have differing opinions.  It is always tough to read people through the internet.  I read Kittens post and it didn't seem hostile, but Kittens and I have been e-mails and getting to know each other better so I can read into it a little better knowing a little more about Kittens and how Kittens thinks.

I guess the important thing is that we do not get too hostile.  I like a friendly place to chat tennis.  This forum seems to be getting more popular too, so we will see more and more people and of course more and more differing opinions.  Both of you have helped to build this place whether you have 40 posts or 200 posts.  I enjoy all of your posts.  :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

WTA Star

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2005, 01:16:26 PM »
Hey PACER:

Go check out ESPN man and you'll get cursed out every which way but up trust me it's happen to me. I like allot of your post personally and I understood what you were trying to say. So don't worrie about man, some people can be alittle pissed off for what ever reason. Keep on posting buddy :H

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2005, 01:31:40 PM »
Yeah, save the hostilities for the court and you can cut loose on your unexpecting victim :))
While on the subject, I totally NUKED a player on the Pierce tennis team last night. That's after having surgery done on Tuesday. It's a good way for me to release my pent up stress, and it felt good  :)
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2005, 05:38:24 PM »
First the reason I even mentioned that I was a competitive player so that you could have some understanding of why I see things from my perspective. Maybe it's just me I like to know why people think the way they do. So you can understand why I believe it doesn't take allot of strategy or tactics  to play Sharapova's style of play, and why I beileve she and Sprem play the same style. Or why I think Sprem has better technique than Maria particularly on the forehand. What you call being more tactically aware I call being Mental tougher, having the will and belief, Playing the elite players more often then Sprem, better coaching. When Sharapova walks on the court she feels she should win no matter who it is, I've only seen this from Sprem maybe all of 3 matches. When Sharapova walks on the court with Daveport she see's herself as the one to beat, Sprem see's herself as the underdog. Sharapova is a force but it is my belief that when she learns to use strategy more effectively she will be even more of a force.

In most of my post I've had nothing but good things to say about Sharapova so for you to classify me as a anti-Sharapova fan is not fair. I'm not ant-anyone, I know how hard these athletes work so I don't put any of them down. As far as your opinion, everyone has one, how is my trying to give you why I see things from my perspective trying to keep you from expressing your opinion? As far is me not knowing you, as hostile as you seem in your post I'm not interested. I came to this board to discuss tennis with people from diffrent backgrounds and perspectives and I thought that is what was going on here but maybe I'm wrong. If your unclear about what I meant by something I've posted why don't you ask me to clarify instead of attacking me. My whole point was to say that Sprem plays a similar style to Sharapova and Clisjters played well agaisnt that style so I felt she'd match up well agaisnt Sharapova. That's my opinion from my perspective. If I've said something to offend you I apologize, sometimes things don't come out the way I really mean them. But to be honest I'm not interested in engaging in anymore conversations with you, you just seem to hostile and I dont want things like that in my life, I try to be as positive as possible. I'm only interested in friendly tennis conversation not hostile arguments.

Well I dont consider you any more qualifed to say I am pro-Sharapova than I am to say I feel you are anti-Sharapova.    I have spoken highly of Sharapova, but I was not aware I showed myself to be so oriented on her, and admiring of her, to appear to be an obvious fan.   It is only natural to speak very highly of a player already ranked 2 or 3 in the world, winning a Wimbledon and year-end title, at only age 17, and being one of the most powerful hitters off every part of the court, with renowned mental strength at such a young age.   Truth be told I do not consider myself a defined Sharapova fan, nor opposed to her, I am more or less neutral as far as the fan regard goes.    As for my assumption on your dislike for Sharapova, most of your messages seem to dismiss or reduce her chances of doing something, along with some views on certain players prospects versus her, players far outside the upper elechon of the game, that make me suspect you might have a certain opposition to her.   It wasnt meant as criticsm, since I openly dislike certain players and root against them, Roddick, the Williams sisters, Mauresmo, Phillipousis.    It was just indicating there was as much reason to believe you might be biased as I, based on any prior comments.

If I misread your being a player comments, it was not my intent.   However it seems natural to me to assume those followed by an I can see you are a Sharapova fan comment, to be somewhat condescending.    I was actually not bothered, I like a hardcore debate, I admit to being a feisty person online.

I am aware the difference in tactics, and mental toughness.   I believe Sharapova to be superior to Sprem by a long ways in both.    The only area they are close, in my eyes, are power minus serve, and movement(where both are well below power).    I was simply stating I never claimed Sharapova to be the best tactically, just clearly better than Sprem, and sufficient enough to contend to win big matches and big titles.   That is all.

If you can live avoiding me, that is fine.   The feeling is mutual.

Anonymous

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2005, 05:15:37 PM »
Sure does look back to me! Davenport would probably second that.