Author Topic: Another newbie  (Read 5928 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: Another newbie
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2007, 09:52:39 AM »
Thanks D!
I thought gut also lost it's tension after a few weeks. :Confused:  Thanks for the info.
Must be time for me to look into USRSA membership/certification......again. :whistle:

Everything looses tension over time and use. But there is no synthetic string that comes close to gut when it comes to, well, anything. Playabilty, power, and significantly tension loss.
Think of it this way. What is gut? It's usually made from sheep or cow intestine fiber (the greener the grass the better the gut ;-()). Intestines are designed by nature, or God, or whomever, to expand and contract over and over over the life of whatever beast it is in. Food comes in, it expands, food gets digested it contracts to it's orignal form. That's what the fiber is designed for and no synthetic fiber comes close to it when it comes to expanding and contracting to its original form.

Well, that sure makes sense!!!  Is there a particular gut you prefer and what is the average play time per string job?

I haven't enough experience to have a preference, I talk to a master stringer and let him decide, I wanted to try ALU rough to get more spin, but he told me the strings won't effect the amount of spin, it's all in the technique, and save my money. Right now I get tremendous spin by changing my technique, I only have to work on moving my body as one unit. Like a great bagua zhang grandmaster told me, when one thing moves everything moves.
 I play 1 or 2 times a week, each one is 2.5 to 3.5 hours. I've had the current strings in there for 3 months and haven't noticed any change in the racquet so I'm happy, maybe next year I'll try another combination with my own input. The racquet may be changing but so is my game and technique so it's hard to tell.
What on earth is a "great bagua zhang grandmaster"? :Confused:

It's called circle walking, kind of hard to describe. google "bagua zhang".

ie.

The practice of circle walking, or 'Turning the Circle', as it is sometimes called, is baguazhang's characteristic method of stance and movement training. Practitioners walk around the edge of a circle in various stances, facing the center, and periodically change direction as they execute forms.   :)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2007, 09:57:16 AM »
I was under the impression that most tension loss happens fairly soon after the string job and then only minor tension loss over the rest of the following weeks and more.  Also does it help to hit sooner than later after a string job as far as tension loss is concerned? 

That's what I heard also, i believe some pros have all thier rackets restrung after each match.

I see osu won over perdue 23-7, and now stand 6-0. Maybe this is thier year!  :)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2007, 10:51:13 AM »
I was under the impression that most tension loss happens fairly soon after the string job and then only minor tension loss over the rest of the following weeks and more.  Also does it help to hit sooner than later after a string job as far as tension loss is concerned? 

That's what I heard also, i believe some pros have all thier rackets restrung after each match.

I see osu won over perdue 23-7, and now stand 6-0. Maybe this is thier year:)

I thought last year was their year but I will settle for it happening this year!  That would be sweet!   :cool:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2007, 05:37:23 PM »

Most of the tension loss occurs right after stringing, but synthetics will continue to lose tension over time, while natural gut will maintain it's tension after the initial drop. And the inital drop in tension isn't as steep either.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2007, 05:39:09 PM »

I see osu won over perdue 23-7, and now stand 6-0. Maybe this is thier year!  :)

Most pros will have at least 8 racquets strung every day they will be playing or practice, regardless of whether they hit with it or not.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2007, 10:02:08 PM »
Thanks D!
I thought gut also lost it's tension after a few weeks. :Confused:  Thanks for the info.
Must be time for me to look into USRSA membership/certification......again. :whistle:

Everything looses tension over time and use. But there is no synthetic string that comes close to gut when it comes to, well, anything. Playabilty, power, and significantly tension loss.
Think of it this way. What is gut? It's usually made from sheep or cow intestine fiber (the greener the grass the better the gut ;-()). Intestines are designed by nature, or God, or whomever, to expand and contract over and over over the life of whatever beast it is in. Food comes in, it expands, food gets digested it contracts to it's orignal form. That's what the fiber is designed for and no synthetic fiber comes close to it when it comes to expanding and contracting to its original form.

Well, that sure makes sense!!!  Is there a particular gut you prefer and what is the average play time per string job?

I haven't enough experience to have a preference, I talk to a master stringer and let him decide, I wanted to try ALU rough to get more spin, but he told me the strings won't effect the amount of spin, it's all in the technique, and save my money. Right now I get tremendous spin by changing my technique, I only have to work on moving my body as one unit. Like a great bagua zhang grandmaster told me, when one thing moves everything moves.
 I play 1 or 2 times a week, each one is 2.5 to 3.5 hours. I've had the current strings in there for 3 months and haven't noticed any change in the racquet so I'm happy, maybe next year I'll try another combination with my own input. The racquet may be changing but so is my game and technique so it's hard to tell.
What on earth is a "great bagua zhang grandmaster"? :Confused:

It's called circle walking, kind of hard to describe. google "bagua zhang".

ie.

The practice of circle walking, or 'Turning the Circle', as it is sometimes called, is baguazhang's characteristic method of stance and movement training. Practitioners walk around the edge of a circle in various stances, facing the center, and periodically change direction as they execute forms.   :)

Cool, similar to Tai Chi but different.
Caught a few quick vids on UTube, really liked the constant movement and flow compared to other more static martial arts.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2007, 10:24:28 PM »
I took it for a few months, it gets booooring.
I have a question, I tried to put my picture up but it doesn't work, any ideas?

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2007, 10:44:20 PM »
I post mine on imagecave.com then link to here.
Am sure most of the other folks are more tech savvy than I am and can provide further/better assistance.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2007, 10:46:16 PM »
I tried Tai Chi for a bit but didn't stick with it either.
Not sure why.  Certainly wasn't boredom for me.  Obviously plenty of forms and techniques that would take many lifetimes to perfect. ..-)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2007, 11:08:22 PM »
I tried Tai Chi for a bit but didn't stick with it either.
Not sure why.  Certainly wasn't boredom for me.  Obviously plenty of forms and techniques that would take many lifetimes to perfect. ..-)

So true, so many small corrections, but I guess it matters, though at the time it seems insignificant. I had a great teacher, Wai lun choi from china.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2007, 11:45:51 PM »
I post mine on imagecave.com then link to here.
Am sure most of the other folks are more tech savvy than I am and can provide further/better assistance.

Or you can use imageshack which the forum used to use to post pics straight to the forum. The admin is trying to that option back with this format back. For now we have to take that extra step of going to the 3rd party site and loading the picture and then linking to it.

An ambition fulfilled