Author Topic: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!  (Read 840505 times)

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
Re: Quotes on Roger Federer
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2007, 01:28:36 PM »
What was funny to me was prior to Madrid and Paris, he'd only made it to 1 quarterfinal all year.

That's why I think it will be hard for him to keep that form up for most of 2008.  If it were just based on talent along, Safin would be right there each year... but tennis involves more than just talent.  A lot has to do with what's between the ears and that is where Safin and Nalby fall short.

That's exactly why Safin and Nalbandian could never ever stay at the very top of the game. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nalbandian go out of the Australian Open before the last 8 and then go through the majority of the year with just pretty average results.

and then come back and win like two back to back tournaments at the end of the year (finish in top 10 again) and give everybody something to talk about.  :rofl_2:

I hoe he does well though, makes tennis more interesting and exciting :H

« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 01:29:43 PM by tennisfan78 »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2007, 01:56:49 PM »
What was funny to me was prior to Madrid and Paris, he'd only made it to 1 quarterfinal all year.

That's why I think it will be hard for him to keep that form up for most of 2008.  If it were just based on talent along, Safin would be right there each year... but tennis involves more than just talent.  A lot has to do with what's between the ears and that is where Safin and Nalby fall short.

That's exactly why Safin and Nalbandian could never ever stay at the very top of the game. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nalbandian go out of the Australian Open before the last 8 and then go through the majority of the year with just pretty average results.

and then come back and win like two back to back tournaments at the end of the year (finish in top 10 again) and give everybody something to talk about.  :rofl_2:

Haha yeah that could be the case, and then we'll all talk him up again going into the 2009 Aussie Open  :) It would be great to have a fully fit and motivated Nalbandian at the top of the game because we've seen the game he's got and what he can do, so now its the year for Nalbandian to really step it up and show us all he's at the top end of the game for the foreseable future and not just a short stint.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2007, 02:18:57 PM »

Haha yeah that could be the case, and then we'll all talk him up again going into the 2009 Aussie Open  :) It would be great to have a fully fit and motivated Nalbandian at the top of the game because we've seen the game he's got and what he can do, so now its the year for Nalbandian to really step it up and show us all he's at the top end of the game for the foreseable future and not just a short stint.

No matter what Nalby does he has to beat Fed in 5 sets, and Fed knows this and will be prepared. Those last 2 losses to Nalby was a wake up call.
I still expect Nalby to be at the top of his game and making some serious tennis at the AO.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2007, 02:34:22 PM »

No matter what Nalby does he has to beat Fed in 5 sets, and Fed knows this and will be prepared. Those last 2 losses to Nalby was a wake up call.
I still expect Nalby to be at the top of his game and making some serious tennis at the AO.

Too right Swish beating Fed in 5 sets is a whole different ball game, especially when you add in the fact that it'll be at a Grand Slam and Fed will be refreshed after a break from the game. I hope you're right and Nalby does make a good impression in Melbourne in a few weeks time, the Tour will be a lot better if thats the case.

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2007, 02:42:38 PM »

Too right Swish beating Fed in 5 sets is a whole different ball game, especially when you add in the fact that it'll be at a Grand Slam and Fed will be refreshed after a break from the game. I hope you're right and Nalby does make a good impression in Melbourne in a few weeks time, the Tour will be a lot better if thats the case.

It sure will, and it'll give the top players something to worry about besides Nadal and Fed. Not to mention how it will give some more action at the top, we already have Djoker making some statements too. Just good for the game all around.
This coming year seems to have quite a few angles that we haven't had in some time.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2007, 02:47:30 PM »

It sure will, and it'll give the top players something to worry about besides Nadal and Fed. Not to mention how it will give some more action at the top, we already have Djoker making some statements too. Just good for the game all around.
This coming year seems to have quite a few angles that we haven't had in some time.

2008 is already shaping up to have many challenges looking to raise their games on both the ATP and WTA Tours, as you say much more so than in the recent years. Lets just hope that both Tours live upto all the big talk we've been giving them!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2007, 03:55:29 PM »

2008 is already shaping up to have many challenges looking to raise their games on both the ATP and WTA Tours, as you say much more so than in the recent years. Lets just hope that both Tours live upto all the big talk we've been giving them!

all kinds of plots and subplots this year chris:

1. can nadal stop fed again from getting the much coveted french open crown
2. can djokovic sustain what he achieved in 2007
3. can nadal tie borg at the french open with 4 titles in a row which is history making stuff
4. can nalby prove to be a factor at slam
5. can fed make it 6 in a row at wimbledon and break borg`s record of 5 straight
6. can anybody stop justine
7. can maria make a resurgence of her own and take a slam or 2

and on and on. it clould also be the very last year of fed`s dominance. very difficult to maintain the pace he has established going into 2009.

i believe that 2008 is going to be one of the most exciting years in recent memory for all of us.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2007, 04:08:13 PM »

3. can nadal tie borg at the french open with 4 titles in a row which is history making stuff
5. can fed make it 6 in a row at wimbledon and break borg`s record of 5 straight

and on and on. it clould also be the very last year of fed`s dominance. very difficult to maintain the pace he has established going into 2009.

i believe that 2008 is going to be one of the most exciting years in recent memory for all of us.

Just looking at those 7 initial scenorios fills us with so much excitment and anticipation, they really do suggest that 2008 should shape upto be one of the most intersting years we've had for a long time. I'm going to put my neck on the line on this one and say the answer to scenorios 1,2,3,5 will be yes because I think Rafa will continue his dominance on clay if he is fully fit and I think Roger will again just about come out on top at Wimbledon, although Rafa will make further improvements there. Djokovic was very impressive and i think he's here to stay. I'm going to say that Nalby will again let us down with our expectations of him being a huge contender at the Slams, and then the final 2 I'm going to say that Justine will take a few defeats next year, hopefully a few at Slams so she will do well to claim 10 titles again, and then my real hope is number 7 for Maria to be injury free and carry on her resurgence and take a Slam or 2, that will make the year a true year to remember whatever else happens  :)
2008 has great potential and if Fed can keep his number 1 ranking and his dominance going it'll be very intersting to see if your theory comes right Herc that it will possibly be his last year dominating and that 2009 will be different.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2007, 04:42:33 PM »

You know, I know Roger's dominance has to end eventually, but that statement has been made for the last 3 years.  I don't think Roger is ready to give up his dominance just yet.  Maybe one day...but let's just say for me, I hope not next year - or at least until he breaks Pete's record.

Offline mogdesai

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2007, 07:17:40 PM »

You know, I know Roger's dominance has to end eventually, but that statement has been made for the last 3 years.  I don't think Roger is ready to give up his dominance just yet.  Maybe one day...but let's just say for me, I hope not next year - or at least until he breaks Pete's record.

It is a fact that Roger's dominance  will end one day and his decline will start one day. But we will have to wait longer for that.
And some of our top players will also have to wait little longer to win or add GSs to their files.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2007, 07:27:59 PM »

3 years ago he was not staring 28 in the face like he will be next year. around 27-28 is when the inevitable decline begins in tennis specific athletic ability for a tennis player. nobody has ever been able to escape that.

keep in mind that he is a baseliner and to a considerable extent, his dominance is a function of his ability to move. slightest decline leads to greater than proportional decline in effectiveness in his ability to dominate from the backcourt.

its a fact. his vast experience will compensate to some extent but eventually, you cant hit what you cant reach.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 07:33:27 PM by hercules »

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2007, 10:36:43 PM »
3 years ago he was not staring 28 in the face like he will be next year. around 27-28 is when the inevitable decline begins in tennis specific athletic ability for a tennis player. nobody has ever been able to escape that.

keep in mind that he is a baseliner and to a considerable extent, his dominance is a function of his ability to move. slightest decline leads to greater than proportional decline in effectiveness in his ability to dominate from the backcourt.

its a fact. his vast experience will compensate to some extent but eventually, you cant hit what you cant reach.

True, loss of movement is deadly. everything comes from the legs and when they start going the whole game is affected. In Fed's case he has a big gap on the competition so he still has some time.
How much time is the question.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2007, 11:05:48 PM »

True, loss of movement is deadly. everything comes from the legs and when they start going the whole game is affected. In Fed's case he has a big gap on the competition so he still has some time.

both ferrero and hewitt are around 27 now and have lost a tiny bit of that court specific athletic ability and it is affecting their performance big time. they are struggling to win matches.

like you said, with fed, at least he has some weapons and he can do the damage if he is there to hit it. he also has a very big serve which never lets him down.

you can compensate some by vast experience you have and you can increase your endurance but you can do nothing about some decline in court specific athletic ability as you get up in years in tennis.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2007, 12:48:15 AM »

both ferrero and hewitt are around 27 now and have lost a tiny bit of that court specific athletic ability and it is affecting their performance big time. they are struggling to win matches.

like you said, with fed, at least he has some weapons and he can do the damage if he is there to hit it. he also has a very big serve which never lets him down.

you can compensate some by vast experience you have and you can increase your endurance but you can do nothing about some decline in court specific athletic ability as you get up in years in tennis.

There's so many weapons that he has it's going to take awhile for him to decline.
When will he win his last slam is the question. And the last tournament.
It depends on how he ages, he wants to play till he's in his thirties, that might change if he no longer dominates.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2007, 12:59:03 AM »

There's so many weapons that he has it's going to take awhile for him to decline.
It depends on how he ages, he wants to play till he's in his thirties, that might change if he no longer dominates.

after 15-16 slams and $300 million in the bank, the mental side may cave in. you never know. physically pete and edberg and even wilander felt fine when they retired. they said the mental strain was too much. living out airplanes, hotel rooms, locker rooms, even waiting for matches and the travel all have a massive cumulative effect on the mind.

what more will be left to achieve after all that anyway. also you make a good point. his legacy as somebody who totally dominated the sport will be at stake if he starts losing more frequently after a couple of years. he looks like the kind of person who will exit as close to the top as possible. that is just my guess.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2007, 03:07:04 AM »

after 15-16 slams and $300 million in the bank, the mental side may cave in. you never know. physically pete and edberg and even wilander felt fine when they retired. they said the mental strain was too much. living out airplanes, hotel rooms, locker rooms, even waiting for matches and the travel all have a massive cumulative effect on the mind.

what more will be left to achieve after all that anyway. also you make a good point. his legacy as somebody who totally dominated the sport will be at stake if he starts losing more frequently after a couple of years. he looks like the kind of person who will exit as close to the top as possible. that is just my guess.

I hope that doesn't happen because Fed has a real chance to get to the 20 Slam mark and basically put that record well out of reach for anybody else for probably longer than any of us on here live. It would be great if he does that because we can all say we watched the man with 20 Grand Slam titles right through his career.
Fed was talking about going on until he was about 35 at the Masters Cup in Shanghai last month, but if all the records have come, he has at least one Roland Garros title and he's got a Gold medal at Wimbledon in 2012 then he might feel it is time to go out on a high rather than as you say lose matches more often and have his legacy just take a little dint.

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2007, 08:09:49 AM »

I hope that doesn't happen because Fed has a real chance to get to the 20 Slam mark and basically put that record well out of reach for anybody else for probably longer than any of us on here live. It would be great if he does that because we can all say we watched the man with 20 Grand Slam titles right through his career.
Fed was talking about going on until he was about 35 at the Masters Cup in Shanghai last month, but if all the records have come, he has at least one Roland Garros title and he's got a Gold medal at Wimbledon in 2012 then he might feel it is time to go out on a high rather than as you say lose matches more often and have his legacy just take a little dint.

I agree. I hope he does keep his motivation up and stays healthy as he has a real chance to create records that will last for a looong time, if not forever.

Sometimes, when I just take a moment and think about the fact that Fed has won 3 out of 4 grandslams for 3 years (2 straight years), it just amazes me. We are witnessing some of the greatest years in tennis history.  :worthy:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2007, 10:48:27 AM »

I agree. I hope he does keep his motivation up and stays healthy as he has a real chance to create records that will last for a looong time, if not forever.

Sometimes, when I just take a moment and think about the fact that Fed has won 3 out of 4 grandslams for 3 years (2 straight years), it just amazes me. We are witnessing some of the greatest years in tennis history.  :worthy:

True, were so used to seeing him win it's easy to forget what were witnessing.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2007, 09:29:56 PM »
Federer wins Swiss sports award for fourth time

By Mark Ledsom

BERNE, Switzerland, Dec 15 (Reuters) - The world's number one tennis player Roger Federer has been named Switzerland's top sports personality for a record-equalling fourth time.

Federer, who also won the Sportsman of the Year award in 2003, 2004 and 2006, was up against world time trial cycling champion Fabian Cancellara and marathon runner Viktor Roethlin.

"It's always an incredible feeling to win these awards from my home country, even if people always say I'm the big favourite," the 12-time Grand Slam champion said in a live video link from his training camp in Dubai on Saturday.

Federer, who follows former cyclist Tony Rominger as a four-time winner of the award, said he was close to tears after being congratulated in video messages from former champions Bjorn Borg, Roy Emerson and Pete Sampras.

Sampras, who still holds the record of 14 Grand Slam singles titles, told Federer to "have fun" breaking that record.

"It's amazing to hear messages like that," Federer said, "and of course breaking Pete's record would be a dream for me.

"Everyone says I'm just two wins away and it will happen this year. Well, that would be nice, but I'm just concentrating on staying fully fit and fully motivated."

Borg, whose record of five straight Wimbledon victories was equalled by Federer this year, said he was sure the Swiss would go on to become the sport's greatest ever player. (Editing by Ken Ferris)

Updated on Saturday, Dec 15

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #119 on: December 17, 2007, 12:50:54 AM »
Well done Roger on yet another award, the list is simply just endless!