Author Topic: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!  (Read 835033 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
The 26yo Russian is playing in his first grand slam main draw. You think he's going to be nervous?  :rofl_2:

Or...he might go out and say "I have nothing to lose" and play the match of his life.  (I hope not...but it could happen).

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Roger Federer 16.01.12
Home > News & Photos > Interviews > Roger Federer 16.01.12
Monday, 16 January, 2012

Start of Player Photo

Roger Federer bio
Transcribed Interview

Start of Transcribed Interview
Q.  Everything fine, moving okay, twingefree?

ROGER FEDERER:  Twinge means pain? 

Q.  Yes.  Everything good? 

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah.  I mean, I expected  otherwise honestly I would've been worried and I would have mentioned something.  I'm not keeping secrets about that stuff. 

But I've been feeling fine for three, four days now.  Been able to practice full out.  Today was fine.  It was just tough against a guy who hits big and flat from both sides and takes a lot of chances. 

In some ways, for the first match, it was a bit more  how do you say  intense, where I felt a lot of pressure.  Because in Abu Dhabi they were exhibitions, and then in Doha, the first match with Davydenko was somewhat straightforward. 

Then after that I got injured.  So everything was a bit on a relaxeder [sic] mode maybe, or then trying to come through with injury or the matches were too easy, you know. 

Here I really tried to put in an effort to every point play as hard as I could first to see how the back felt, try to get into it, hopefully win, and then see how I feel tomorrow. 

I'll get a lot more information tomorrow, but I'm sure I'll be fine. 

Q.  Good day to play at night probably because of the heat. 

ROGER FEDERER:  No, I mean, I don't mind the heat.  Actually, I would have liked to play in the heat.  It's been a tricky week in terms of practice because there's been a lot of rain.  I practiced twice indoors. 

This has definitely been the hottest since we've been here.  When I was warming up, the ball was definitely flying much more than, again, tonight, because conditions get significantly slower in these types of conditions. 

Look, I'm just happy to be on Rod Laver Arena.  Sure, nights is always quite something.  It's electric and it's nice to be out there. 

Q.  I'm sure you would have been made aware of some of the things that Rafael Nadal said in here yesterday.  You could call it criticism of you, perhaps.  Certainly the comments were quite outspoken.  In those circumstances, do you have any response to what I'm sure you've been told he said?

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I mean, I kind of heard it, you know.  I saw him after he said the comments  Sunday was it, I guess?  I saw him Sunday afternoon.  I asked him how the press went.  I didn't know he spoke to the press. 

He said, Yeah, it was fine.  Mentioned a few things here and there.  I was, Okay, whatever.  Then I read the comments.  So things are fine between us, you know.  I have no hard feelings towards him. 

It's been a difficult last few months in terms of politics within the ATP, I guess, trying to find a new CEO and chairman.  That can get frustrating sometimes. 

He's mentioned many times how he gets a bit tired and frustrated through the whole process, and I shared that with him.  It's normal.  But for me, obviously nothing changes in terms of our relationship.  I'm completely cool and relaxed about it.  He seemed the same way  or at least I hope so. 

Q.  It's fair to say you have differing views in terms of what should happen. 

ROGER FEDERER:  You want to know the issues or? 

Q.  He said you've got one view and the others have got something else. 

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I think that's normal.  We can't always agree on everything.  So far it's always been no problem really.  Back in the day he used to say, Whatever Roger decides, I'm fine with. 

Today he's much more grown up.  He has a strong opinion himself, which I think is great.  It's what we need, especially on the council.  It's been nice working with him. 

That he has a strong opinion also creates sometimes good arguments about where you want to move the sport forward to. 

You know, we talked about that in London after we played at midnight before, I don't know, my semifinal match.  We called each other after Davis Cup, and then we met again here. 

So we're always constantly trying to get on the same page, or at least talking about it, so we can do the best for the sport.  That's at the end of the day both our goals.

Q.  Specifically are you willing to talk about the point that possibly you sometimes stand outside the process, maybe not getting behind some of the top 100 players, or does that come back to the differences in points of view, for example, pushing for changes to prize money, things like that?

ROGER FEDERER:  I was in the meeting, you know.  I completely understand and support the players' opinions.  I just have a different way of going at it.  I'm not discussing it with you guys in the press room.  It creates unfortunately sometimes negative stories. 

I think we've done really well over the years now since me and Rafa in particular have joined the council, and also Novak in the past.  And when Adam led the ATP, I think we had a really calm relationship about politics and about, you know, dealing with you guys. 

So I choose not to talk about those issues with you guys.  That doesn't mean I don't support the players.  I think of the players first.  Usually when I take decisions, I think of the lowerranked players first.  I hope they know that. 

Otherwise I wouldn't be sitting on the council, just trying to do what's best for the top guys.  I mean, I've been around for too long to just say, Okay, we need more stuff for the top guys.  I'm very happy if the lowerranked players are doing better, too.

Q.  Do you disagree with the concept of a strike in principle, or do you just think it wouldn't work?

ROGER FEDERER:  You know, it's such a dangerous word to use.  That's why I always say, Let's try to avoid it as much as we can, right?  I think that would be the best for all of us:  you guys, fans, tournaments, players.  It's not good for anyone really.  We've seen it in other sports happening in the States.  That's why I'm always very careful about it. 

If there's no avoiding it, I'll support the rest of the players.  But I just think we have to think it through how we do it, if we do it, can we do it, whatever it is, instead of just going out and screaming about it.  That's not how I think you're going to get results. 

There's been too many tries and too many things done in the past that haven't worked.  That's where I just think we're on the right track and things are under control, I think.  I'm confident we'll get to a good solution in the near future.

Q.  There seemed to be so many mentions of so many different issues, bits of this issue here, that issue there, prize money, Davis Cup, whatever.  How important is it that there is one argument from the players' point of view?

ROGER FEDERER:  One argument? 

Q.  Just one, a consistent view.  Is that important, in your opinion? 

ROGER FEDERER:  I don't quite understand.  I just want to make sure I understand you. 

Q.  You ask 10 players, you might get 10 different issues raised. 

ROGER FEDERER:  Well, it's not normally that bad, but...

It's usually two or three.  Well, there are more, many more, but they're smaller problems. 

Sometimes do you want to play white balls or yellow balls.  Is that going to be a big issue?  Sometimes yes; sometimes no.  It depends on how big the issue is and how it impacts every layer of the tour.  That's sometimes how you go at it. 

Obviously within the system, you can't ask every single opinion, but you try to represent every opinion that you have and you try to work on all those issues. 

I thought we're going in a good direction.  I thought the game was healthy.  We're in a golden era right now.  Everybody is happy, talking positive.  We've been able to sign sponsors.  We've been playing well.  Al those things. 

But I understand we can always try to do better.  It shouldn't be just saying like, Things are great.  Let's not change anything.  I think as a perfectionist, professional, whatever you do in the business or as a tennis player, I think you should always try to become as good as you can be or try to just, you know, change things to as good as they can be for everyone. 

Q.  Is it perhaps taking it too far to say this could be potentially a defining year in the relationship between the players, the tournaments, the Grand Slams? 

ROGER FEDERER:  Potentially.  I don't know.  I really don't have the crystal ball with me.  I wish I knew.  But, like I said before, I'm confident that we'll manage the year in a good way and we'll come to good terms with whatever it is. 

Right now I don't know what it is, but I'm sure it's going to be okay. 

Q.  Do you feel extra pressure coming to this tournament since it's been a while since you won a Grand Slam, almost two years?

ROGER FEDERER:  Not really.  I mean, I feel pressure coming out and seeing my girls on the other side of the court, seeing me walk on court.  Maybe that makes me nervous, which was the case today. 

But otherwise I feel not particularly more pressure.  I'm always excited.  I felt it, you know, actually walking down that Walk of Champions, getting out on court and feeling like, you know what, I have good intensity and I am really excited to see the Aussie crowd.  Just go after another victory here hopefully in the first round, and then take it from there. 

So I was anxious to find out how I was going to play, how my opponent was going to play me.  So, yeah, I was really excited and a little nervous actually going into it, which was a good feeling to have.  I'm looking forward to the other matches. 

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Roger's 'girls' were watching daddy play tennis last night:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Some highlights:

Australian Open 2012, 1st Round - Federer vs Kudryavtsev Match Highlights
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 07:10:25 PM by Dallas »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Roger's next opponent:

Offline Bubles

• Tennis Player
Roger's next opponent:

Andreas Beck

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
Federer gets a walkover..into R3 !!:)
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Roger Federer 18.01.12
Home > News & Photos > Interviews > Roger Federer 18.01.12
Wednesday, 18 January, 2012

Start of Player Photo

Roger Federer bio
Transcribed Interview

Start of Transcribed Interview
           Q.  What are your thoughts?

ROGER FEDERER:  Surprising.  I didn't know anything about it.  I saw him in the locker room, and he came up to me.  I was like, Hey, what's going on?  Good to see you again, because he's a good friend.  I've practiced with him in the past in Switzerland.

He said, I'm not so good actually.  I have a bad back.  It came as a surprise.  He said he had a lot painkillers and pain during the last match.  I think it happened four, five days ago.  He doesn't want to risk it early in the season, best five sets against me.  Nothing he could have done, even though he would love to play against me.  I guess it's the only smart decision for him to take.

Q.  What does it do for your rhythm for the week?

ROGER FEDERER:  Look, I would have loved to play.  Feel sorry for the fans, you know, who were excited to see me on Hisense today.  I was ready to go.

I was just coming for my warmup hit, so I was completely focusing on the match, saying, Okay, I'll probably have two, three hours to go.  So from that standpoint, the energy was there.

Now I'll just take it easy this afternoon and come out tomorrow and hit intensely tomorrow, and then I'll be ready for the next match.

Q.  It was quite ironic, because a lot has been made of the fact that you played your last 52 matches here on Rod Laver, and I think you were put outside, so to speak.  Now the match isn't going to take place at all.  Were you aware that you had such a record of length of service on the main court here?

ROGER FEDERER:  Well, I knew it's been a long time since I've been on ‑‑ back then it was Vodafone still.

So, yeah, but I mean, at Wimbledon and at the French we always go at the second court.  It's just here and at the US Open where with the night sessions they have more night sessions and more space for men's matches on the center court that it's really difficult for you to be moved out.

But when the draws are such that me and Rafa are in the same section, and you have Tomic, I guess, I expect it to happen.  Especially when I saw that Rafa played an Hisense the first day, I expected my second‑round match was going to be there, too.

Yeah, I mean, I was excited.  I wasn't disappointed to hear that I was going to play there, to be quite honest.

Q.  They have played men's matches here first in the evening the first three nights.  Is that something that the players wanted to have, as if they felt as though they should play first, or is it that it just seems to have happened so far this year?

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I don't know.

Q.  I didn't know whether it was something perhaps you've said, We always seem to play second.  Could we perhaps play first?

ROGER FEDERER:  I think it's nice that the guys get to play first once in a while or 50% of the time.  Yeah, I mean, of course then it's tricky.

If the men's match goes four hours, then it gets late for the women.  You know, the women's match is not usually going to last potentially six hours; whereas a men's match could.

So you have ‑‑ I mean, I think it's fair.  I don't think it's good that they always had the women's match first.  I think it's good to mix it up.  I like it that they do how they think it's right.

If it happens that three women's matches are first again in the night, it's no problem.  I just think that's important that the tournament has flexibility.

Q.  Playing at night, Serena complained about the bugs and said she didn't want to be out there at night again in in this tournament.  Did you notice that on the first night?

ROGER FEDERER:  Not that much, actually.  I saw like one.  (Laughter.)  Maybe they come out at 1:00.  I don't know.  We had a couple in Qatar, I believe.  The ball boy destroyed one.  I just wanted to get it moved.  He didn't want to take it in his hand like the girl did yesterday.

So, no, it wasn't so bad for me, anyway.  I don't know.  I don't remember.

Q.  You had a walkover.  Can you recall if you had one in a slam before?

ROGER FEDERER:  I do.  I had Tommy Haas at Wimbledon; Andrei Pavel somewhere; maybe US Open.  Not sure.

Q.  That's it.

ROGER FEDERER:  That's it apparently.  Good memory.

Q.  Anything different you do now?  Chill out a bit?

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah.  Relax this afternoon and just go for an intense, bigger hit tomorrow.  Yeah.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
            Q.  You had a walkover.  Can you recall if you had one in a slam before?

ROGER FEDERER:  I do.  I had Tommy Haas at Wimbledon; Andrei Pavel somewhere; maybe US Open.  Not sure.

Q.  That's it.

ROGER FEDERER:  That's it apparently.  Good memory.

Q.  Anything different you do now?  Chill out a bit?

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah.  Relax this afternoon and just go for an intense, bigger hit tomorrow.  Yeah.

Wow - Roger was sharp on his trivia moment!  :rofl_2: :rofl_2:
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Another Roger vs Ivo:  10 matches and 13 Tiebreaks! :bang-head: :bang-head: :bang-head: :bang-head: :bang-head: :bang-head: :bang-head:

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Dallas - I expect Roger to show something special today.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Dallas - I expect Roger to show something special today.

I hope so!

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Dallas - I was just checking the temps in Melbourne Park and it's 64F right now. It won't be more then 74F by the time Roger's match begins which is concerning for his back. That's what happened in Doha, cold temps brought on back spasms.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
He came through ok.  I thought for sure we had lost the first set...but he came back and I'm just glad he won it in 3 to get off the court with Ivo!  I HATE when they play each other, but last night was ok. :))

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
R. FEDERER/I. Karlovic

7‑6, 7‑5, 6‑3

Q.  How important do you think your acrobatics on that set point in the first set might have been?  It was an amazing get really in the circumstances.

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I mean, it was a tough breaker for me, just the way it all turned out to be, and him then having the chance to serve it out at 6‑5 definitely made it difficult.

Thank God, you know, he gave me a second serve and gave me a slight chance.  Might have had a little bit of a lucky volley, but quick reflexes at the net so that can happen.

Then running up there, I didn't know what to do anymore.  Probably left and right, going to go too slow and he's going to slam it home.  Let me try the lob, even though that's not what you're supposed to do against him.  I got sort of the angle right and was able maybe to surprise him, we're that close to each other, so it's hard to kind of react quick maybe up. I don't know.  It kind of worked, and then I had a great return after that.  I was almost home.  So it was a good turn of events for me then.

Then after that, I maybe relaxed a bit.  I got a bit of a better read on his serve potentially and just, you know, also knew what I wanted to do also on my own service games.

It was a big first set, clearly.

Q.  How important was it have a tough workout after the walkover last round?

ROGER FEDERER:  I think it was important to face throughout the whole three sets just the pressure of facing a guy like Ivo who can serve his way out of trouble, keeps you on your heels the whole time.  You're not quite sure what's going to happen.

If you miss one or two minutes of the game, down break point, he plays one good point or whatever happens, and the next thing you know, you're stuck in a fifth set maybe against him where you're down with more pressure.

So I think that was a good thing.  Now obviously it was not much baseline tennis out there.  That's why it's hard to judge where my game is at, but I was in control, I was making many errors.  But that's kind of to be expected from him from the baseline just because I have the athletic upper hand.

But overall I feel good, you know.  It's been a good match for me and a good last week or so.  No back issues at all today.  I didn't even think about it, to be honest.  So it was a good day at the office.

Q.  Do you enjoy watching other players play Karlovic just to see what they do?

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I do.  Yeah, I mean, I watched Lleyton and Andy last night.  Just, yeah, I like seeing them sort of battle it out and see how well they're playing.

Q.  I mean see other players play against Karlovic, the approach they take.

ROGER FEDERER:  No, I mean, he doesn't always play on center court.  If the TVs are no good, you know, you're not going to watch court 15.

I remember the match he played with Rafa at Indian Wells and it was really close.  I watched a bit of that.

Yeah, I mean, I do like to see how they play him or how he plays them.  He's an interesting type of player.

Q.  There is a difference to play Isner or Karlovic?

ROGER FEDERER:  A little bit.

Q.  Which one?

ROGER FEDERER:  I don't know how distinctive.  Obviously the way the trajectory comes in, it's obviously similar.  But then again, it's just a way ‑‑ I guess Ivo plays with his one hand, slice.  He maneuvers the ball differently than John does.  He steps in and takes it with a two‑hander so the point starts differently on your serve.

Maybe Ivo has the upper hand just in terms of how he serves.  Overall he's very accurate with his serving, and he's got all corners covered easily.  I think John has also improved, so that's why he's ahead of him in the rankings, I guess.

Q.  Do you think it would be better for tennis to have more one‑handed backhands and less two‑handed?

ROGER FEDERER:  I think it would be nice to have a bit of both, because double handed can be really nice as some of the greats showed us, Borg, Wilander, and Agassi and so forth.

It's still a nice shot.  I prefer the one hand just because it's how the game has all started.  But I think it's good to mix even though the double handers are taking the upper hand throughout the years.  That's clear now.

Q.  I don't know if you saw the Nalbandian/Isner match the other night and the contentious way it came to a close.  Would you like to see there be a more uniform way of deciding if a player has taken enough time to challenge?  It seems to be a gray area.  I know you've got controversial views on Hawk‑Eye, anyway.

ROGER FEDERER:  Isn't is great, Hawk‑Eye, what happened, right?  That's why we have it, right, to talk about it because we don't use it?

Q.  Do you think there should be a time limit?

ROGER FEDERER:  I guess the circumstances, it was just crazy and there was misunderstandings and the crowd was loud.  You can't shout across the court and talk to the umpire.

You have to go up to him and the umpire could maybe understand that as stalling, right, and not to give it to him anymore?  I have had issues in the past where I think my opponents take crazy amount of time and then they decide to challenge.

I think it's both ways.  Umpires need to be super flexible and firm, but also the players need to be the same and help the cause that something like this doesn't happen.

You wish that you talk about how great they were serving and returning and playing instead of talking about this one stupid call.  Unfortunately it might have changed the outcome of the match potentially.

We all knew that this is exactly the type of point that needs to be challenged either from John or from David or from the umpire.  We need to see the call.  It can't be that there is no call.

So it was just so unfortunate.  I felt bad for David, but it was still a great match.  I guess the players and the umpires need to get it right in terms of helping each other.

Q.  Do you tend to be one who if you challenge they know instantly you're going to because you just go and challenge?

ROGER FEDERER:  Exactly.  I don't think we're on clay where you walk up to the mark and you're like, Hmm, that's an interesting mark.  Let's wait it out and challenge and then put the umpire in a bad spot.  The umpire can go, Three, two, one, no more.

He won't do that.  It's part of process I guess.  They need to figure it out.

Q.  Talking about one‑handed backhand, did you realize in the first set in 5‑2 you hit a two‑handed backhand?

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I did.  I lost the point.  That's why I play one handed.  And I won't play double handed for a long, long time, I can tell you that.

Q.  Thank you.

ROGER FEDERER:  No problem.

Q.  Any thoughts on Hewitt and Raonic tomorrow night?

ROGER FEDERER:  Hmm, are they playing night session tomorrow?

Q.  I think so.

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I mean, doesn't matter really.  It's going to be a good match.  Obviously Raonic is on the rise, and Lleyton such an established player and playing with home crowd advantage, definitely you want to hope to see.

I haven't seen Raonic play in a while now because of injury or whatever happened.  I practiced once with him in Wimbledon, so I got a chance to hit some with him there.

Yeah, I think it's going to be an open match, because Lleyton doesn't give away anything, you know.  I've seen that happen so many times that I'll just pick Lleyton because he's playing well and he's playing at home.

Q.  You have attended probably 2000 press conferences in your life.  Have you never been worried about facing any of them in certain specific situations?

ROGER FEDERER:  I would be sad if I weren't facing you guys.  Is that the question?  (Laughter.)

Q.  I was just asking if you always come here relaxed, even after defeat, or sometimes you worry about questions that can be asked?

ROGER FEDERER:  No, no.  I mean, no.  It's just part of the job, I guess, is to face questions, tough questions, sometimes.  I think the worst thing you can do is go hide somewhere and hope you're not going to be asked any questions.

I think you guys have the right to ask tough questions sometimes.  Then also I guess sometimes you need to accept if I don't want to answer any questions on a particular subject.  I think it's only fair.  But I don't think I've ever tried to escape any press conference.  I remember getting fined not showing up. I did try to get out of the press conference in my last match because I didn't play.  They still said I have to come to press because it's a scheduled match.  I was like, A scheduled match?  If the guy would have pulled out yesterday, the day before, I wouldn't have had to come.  There was better stories than me telling you about a nonmatch, so...

But anyway, look, as long as you guys are happy, that's all that counts, right?  (Laughter.)

Q.  Can you tell us what you think about your potential opponents in the fourth round?

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I mean, I'll follow it as much as I can, because both are quite particular.  I've only played Bernard and Alexandr once each, I think, so I don't know them that well.

Tomic obviously being young makes him still somewhat of a mystery maybe just because he's changing his game as he's progressing along the way.

Also Dolgopolov is making his move up the rankings.  He's already in the top 15 and playing very solid already since some time now.  Still he's discovering his best game and his weakest game.

It's going to be a good match to watch.  Either player is gonna be a challenge for me.  I've just played Tomic on a tough grass court in Sydney a few months ago, and Dolgopolov was the first in Basel some time ago.

Q.  What did you think of Tomic in the Davis Cup?

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I mean, look, like I said, conditions were tough.  It was windy.  There was a lot of bad bounces.  We were slicing a lot.  I was extremely tired from playing my game Lleyton the first day, then the doubles and coming from New York, so I don't remember that much.

It was all just a blur for me, the whole Australia sort of Davis Cup tie.  It was a good tie for us which we ended up winning with the great win from Stan over Lleyton.  But I do remember it was tough and tricky.

Q.  Did you see Marcos Baghdatis smash four racquets the other night?  What's your view on that?  Do you do it?

ROGER FEDERER:  If I do it?

Q.  Yeah.

ROGER FEDERER:  Have you seen me do it?

Q.  I don't think so.

ROGER FEDERER:  It's been a while.  (Laughter.)  I did see the highlights.  I was watching some of the match, but I missed that part, unfortunately.  I thought it was funny.  You know, he strings with the same guys I string with, you know, so I felt bad for them for stringing three, four racquets that weren't used afterwards, you know.

But, look, he was frustrated and it was a great match they were playing.  He could have been in the lead but was down.  It's just normal to get frustrated at times.  Some show it differently.

Q.  Do you get that agitated now or are you just better at hiding it?  Are there moments you want to do something like that, like McEnroe hitting some flowers out of...

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I don't know as extreme as Marcos now or maybe John in the past, but definitely you feel like you would like to do something crazy.  Then again, what?  Everybody is going to go, Oh, my God, did he just do that?

Especially now people with what don't think of me.  People don't remember me from ten, twelve years ago.  They only remember me from sort of seven, eight years ago where I never threw a racquet.

So that's also why I just know how to keep my act together, and, I don't know, guess be a good role model and just keep it calm.

Works well.

Q.  Back on Ivo, you and he have played many, many tiebreakers.  Is it something you expect every time you play him and it's going to be a matter of just getting a handful of points off his serve to win?

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I guess so.  I mean, yeah.  I thought it was going to be at least one tiebreak, if not two.  So one is good.  It's okay.

He's a tough man to play against really.  He creates a lot of pressure by the way he serves and the way he plays from the baseline.  He always runs around your second serves.  He always tries to chip and come in.  You know, no point is ever the same.

He fights with what he has, and makes it really complicated, to be honest.  You can never really play relaxed points.  You can sometimes just serve and get into a decent rally, and then you kind of react.  Here you can't do that against Ivo.

I'm happy I found a way today.  First set was crucial, like I said.  Happy to be through in straight sets.

Q.  You are very close to 1000 matches on tour?  Does it feel like that?  How does it feel?

ROGER FEDERER:  I don't know how it feels to play 1000 matches.  I'm only at 999, right?  I played a lot of doubles and juniors and qualifying which all don't count.  Obviously these are all the tour matches I probably would think so.

Yeah, it's a lot matches.  How do I feel?  I feel good.  I feel healthy.  I don't know if I can play another 1000, but I feel like it's a lot of tennis.  I would like to play a lot more, but it's quite a number.  I'm aware of that.

Q.  Does one stand out in the 1000?

ROGER FEDERER:  No.  Many, thank God, good and bad.  I've had my share of tough losses and also my great wins, so a bit of both.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
R. FEDERER/I. Karlovic

7‑6, 7‑5, 6‑3

Q.  Obviously crucial point was the first set when you had a set point.  Talk me through the Federer lob.  Was it a good shot?  Did you mistime the shot?

IVO KARLOVIC:  Well, I don't know.  It is like one in, I don't know, hundred that I'm going to lose that point.  I don't know.  It was really unlucky, you know.

I didn't really expect him to do that, but I was there.  You know, I just, how you say, miscalculate how much on his jump.  It was really unlucky.

Then, you know, if I would have won that, everything would have been different.  But that is life, you know.  Tennis, that's how it is.

Q.  What was difference between you winning and losing?  Can you sum up the game?

IVO KARLOVIC:  He won the match point.  (Smiling.)  That's a joke.  Nobody is laughing.  All right.

I don't know.  I don't know.  I would know if I would have won, but I didn't know.  That's one more joke.  (Smiling.)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
R. FEDERER/I. Karlovic

7‑6, 7‑5, 6‑3

Q.  Obviously crucial point was the first set when you had a set point.  Talk me through the Federer lob.  Was it a good shot?  Did you mistime the shot?

IVO KARLOVIC:  Well, I don't know.  It is like one in, I don't know, hundred that I'm going to lose that point.  I don't know.  It was really unlucky, you know.

I didn't really expect him to do that, but I was there.  You know, I just, how you say, miscalculate how much on his jump.  It was really unlucky.

Then, you know, if I would have won that, everything would have been different.  But that is life, you know.  Tennis, that's how it is.

Q.  What was difference between you winning and losing?  Can you sum up the game?

IVO KARLOVIC:  He won the match point.  (Smiling.)  That's a joke.  Nobody is laughing.  All right.

I don't know.  I don't know.  I would know if I would have won, but I didn't know.  That's one more joke.  (Smiling.)

Dr. Ivo has  a sense of humour too!! Karlovic continues to surprise me.. The dry wit makes me so happy cuz I know I am not so lonely in the world any more.. :))