Author Topic: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!  (Read 820196 times)

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
I'm glad Roger is through.. Ivo can play and Federer has done well to progress to the 4th round.. Tomic awaits him there.. Having played two 5-setters in the last 3 rounds, I know Bernard could be tired, but the press suggests he is excited by the upcoming match with Roger. Tomic is the next big thing in Aussie tennis and it will be interesting to see how he does against Roger, on the biggest tennis stage in the Asia-Pacific!!

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Ironic that match #1000 is against the future great Tomic. A sort of "passing of the torch" moment perhaps?
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Ironic that match #1000 is against the future great Tomic. A sort of "passing of the torch" moment perhaps?

I hope not.  I want Roger to keep the 'torch' a little while longer. :innocent:

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God

Haha, all these useless stats and superstitious macaroni.

Bla bla bla.

Be realistic. Tomic has nothing to hurt Federer; he is basically a Federer in progress (FIP).
I bet Federer loves to play the likes of Dolgopolov and Tomic.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Be realistic. Tomic has nothing to hurt Federer; he is basically a Federer in progress (FIP).
I bet Federer loves to play the likes of Dolgopolov and Tomic.

True enough. Federer fears players who can pound his backhand relentlessly and don't fear him. Meaning Nadal, Djokovic and Murray.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
R. FEDERER/B. Tomic

6‑4, 6‑2, 6‑2

Q.  What do you think you gained most out of that match tonight?

BERNARD TOMIC:  Just another experience of playing Roger, and, you know, tough expectations to win.

You know, I had a few chances in the first set, and, you know, it's good to play a player like that and a player who is as good as he is and for me one of the best who has played.  You learn a lot when you play him, and, you know, you just improve and see what he does and improve in your game.

Q.  What was your game plan tonight to try and overcome him?

BERNARD TOMIC:  To play a little bit aggressive, more aggressive.  But, you know, I think the last few matches that I played I was a little bit more patient, and started to turn around and started playing aggressive all of a sudden.

I think I played pretty good in the first, you know, three, four games.  Had a little bit of a bad game at 4‑All, and I think that's what cost me.

Q.  How do you sort of say what you learnt most out of it then?

BERNARD TOMIC:  It's very good experience to play a player like that.  You know, I don't think there will ever be as good of a player as him.  I think you can only learn what he does and take in what you learned.  Last time I learned a lot of things when I played him, and this time I learned even more.

For me, it's a great pleasure and honor to play him.  I think you learn a lot over the period when you play these top guys, top three or four guys.  You can just only get better if you lose against him.

Q.  Can you put it into specific areas sort of where it tells you where you need to get better as you get older to play these best players?

BERNARD TOMIC:  Yeah, it's not something like that.  I think the top four guys are at a different level.  From five, six on they're all beatable, but the top four guys have something special.  That's why they've all won slams, and that's why Murray plays so consistent.

I think the rest, they are all beatable for me at my level.  But the top four guys have something special, and Roger, for me, is very hard to beat.

I think I learnt a lot.  It's good.

Q.  What was different about tonight that you learned compared to Sydney?

BERNARD TOMIC:  Ah, grass I have more chance against him, you know, my slices I can use a little bit more and the ball stays lower.  Hard courts he's always in balance.  The harder I hit it, you know, the ball comes back in a different corner and ends up always being a winner.

It's very strange.  Never did experience my balls that I hit that hard to come back and to be a winner.  It's good to watch, you know.  (Laughter.)  Even for me, you know, playing, I enjoy watching it.

Q.  Seems like after a couple of his dropshots you shook your head and said, Wow.

BERNARD TOMIC:  I don't know how he does it in that situation.  I mean, the ball happens so fast, and to think to do a dropshot in that moment, too good, because I ain't running.  (Laughing.)

Q.  Do you feel like just playing Roger made you more tense in the game, or do you feel like you're playing your best?  How did it feel out there against someone like Roger?

BERNARD TOMIC:  It's tough to play your best against someone like that.  He's not going to let you play good.  Obviously he does something that ‑‑ you know, with a lot of players I can use my game.  It's tough.  I can't use my shots I way I need them against him.  I can get over with a few, but it's tough to use it against him because he knows ‑‑ he's a little bit smarter and he understands where I'm going to go with.

He's such a good mover.  He gets there and can move me, start moving me early.  That's when I get a bit tentative and go for my shots.

Q.  Did he say anything to you at all after the game?

BERNARD TOMIC:  Yeah, he said, you know, Great tournament, again, and work hard.

Q.  How far away are you from the top 4 group?  You mentioned there is that gap.  Obviously to improve yourself you're going to have to beat them.  How far away do you think you are?

BERNARD TOMIC:  Well, that's a good question.  I think, you know, it could be very soon.  The next, you know, year, year and a half, if I improve my body and get stronger, I think I've done a great job of getting this physical.

I think I can get a lot more out of my body and, you know, I think it's about a year and a half I'm away from that group.  But I think until then I can play great tennis this year and have a good year, and I think, you know, take my ranking to a good spot this year.

Q.  Is it conceivable for you that one day you can be in that special group that you talk about?

BERNARD TOMIC:  Absolutely.  I think, you know, I having played all the top four guys now and Roger twice, I think there is a lot for me in the future.

Yeah, you know, I'm always going to get better and better.  You know, looking back a year I was not as good as now.  And, you know, now looking back to next year, I'll probably be even better.

That's a scary part for me because I know I can improve a lot.

Q.  How do you put this tournament in perspective for how it sets up your year?

BERNARD TOMIC:  Yeah, very good.  The last three weeks have been very good.  Played with a lot of confidence, and I don't have any points to defend for six months.

If I play well, I think I can do a great job and push my ranking really good.

Q.  You were ranked 37 coming here.  Where do you think you stand at the moment?

BERNARD TOMIC:  I'm just happy I don't have to defend any points for six months.  I can play tournaments and play relaxed and know I'm just going to go up.  Every match I win I go up.

So it's a great feeling knowing till Wimbledon I have no points.  You can be seeded at the Grand Slam like the French and Wimbledon, and becomes a bit easier then for rounds to get through and not play the big names.

Once you do that, I'm ‑‑ you know, I think I'm now, you know, 50, 60 points away being seeded at Grand Slams.  That's almost ‑‑ it's a great thing, I think.

Q.  You said earlier in the tournament that fitness was something you can improve on.  Is that something you will look at over the next couple of months?

BERNARD TOMIC:  Yeah.  I think I was pretty fit for this tournament.  I played a lot of matches the last three weeks, and I've got a lot of confidence.  You know, that first‑round win was huge for me.  I never thought I could win that.

You just get a confidence and you learn.  I think I'm doing a good job.  I think I'm gonna play a lot of good matches this year and learn more.  That's the way I think I'm gonna improve.

Q.  Would it be fair to say, with all respect, did you feel like a teenager out there tonight?  Was it sort of like man versus boy to an extent?

BERNARD TOMIC:  Well, now I know when I'm sitting at home and he makes Davydenko look like it's nothing.  You know, you see these players lose 6‑2, 6‑1 to him, and, yeah, there's nothing you can do.

Like I said, I played pretty decent at times, but when I played well at times, he just played better and there was nothing I could do.  He broke my confidence down.

Q.  It has been a very exciting week for the Australians, both yourself and Lleyton.  Now it is just down to Lleyton.  How would you describe the run that he's been on and the challenge now that lies ahead tomorrow night?

BERNARD TOMIC:  Yeah.  Well, we have done a good job to get to the fourth round.  It's good for Lleyton that he finally played a good tournament in so long.  He's feeling confident now, and he's playing the best player in the world.

He got to step out there giving it a go like I did.  And, you know, who knows?  It's tough for him to win that match against Novak, but, you know, he will have the crowd on his side.  You know, he will try his heart out, and we all know that.

Q.  Can you talk about your partnership with Qantas?  Will you be announcing anything in the next couple of days?

BERNARD TOMIC:  What, with Qantas?

Q.  Yeah.

BERNARD TOMIC:  About what?  (Laughter.)

Q.  Your dad's wearing the cap and you're in their ads wearing a Qantas shirt.

BERNARD TOMIC:  I'm an ambassador now for Qantas, and I guess it's the role for the next two years.  I'm proud to be with them.  They're a great company, so what more can I say?

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
R. FEDERER/B. Tomic

6‑4, 6‑2, 6‑2

Q.  Was it much easier than you expected or different or what?

ROGER FEDERER:  No, pretty much as expected.  I mean, I played him before, so it wasn't like I played him for the very first time.

But obviously I knew that points were going to be played differently than the match he played with Dolgopolov.  So I figured he was going to play a bit for aggressive, that it was going to be a tough match, which it was, I thought.

Maybe the score suggested differently, but I thought we had a lot of long games, tough points, and I thought he did actually really well.

Q.  Do you think that the first set was going to be an imperative?  Most objective people thought that perhaps if he won the first set it might be a very tight match.  But as it turned out, you winning the first ‑ just to lift the nervous a little bit?

ROGER FEDERER:  I mean, I guess you always say that in a best‑of‑five set match has sort of that cushion, right?  But then again, he's come through a lot of the matches where he lost the first set and ended up winning them.

So it doesn't always tell the whole story, but you figure against the top guys usually it's really important.  I didn't see it that way, to be honest, because I've seen him come back too many times.

For me it was just important to play point for point, you know, be very consistent of what I tried to do out there, and, you know, just play my game really, which I was able to do.

At the end, you know, he might have let go a little bit, but I was really able to always keep the pressure on him and kept serving well and kept him on the run.

So it was a good match for me.

Q.  Do you feel like your game lifted after the first set, or do you feel like Tomic kind of...

ROGER FEDERER:  I thought I started to play better.  I started to return better for sure.  In the beginning I was getting a few free points here and there.  I was still looking for the rhythm a bit, because I guess I didn't have sort of rhythm matches up until now.

The first match the guy just went for it every single time, forehand, backhand, or serve.  Second round I didn't play.  Third round I played Karlovic who keeps on coming, you know, has one of the biggest serves in the game.

So it was obviously going to be a completely different matchup with longer rallies.  That's why I'm really pleased to have come through, because it wasn't easy.  That's where maybe in the beginning I was still, you know, trying to find sort of the right balance between when to slice, when to play aggressive.

As the match went on, I started to understand when and how I wanted to do it.  You know, then I was able to pull the trigger and actually then I start to play really well as the match went on.

Q.  Are you playing well enough to win this thing again?

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I mean, this was my first match, real match sort of from the baseline where I had to work extremely hard where it wasn't just reacting.  I could act, as well, because, you know, Tomic kind of lets you play a little bit.

I'm happy with how I'm feeling, so it's important to rest up well and then, you know, attack again in the court.  It's going to be tough against Del Potro.  I don't look beyond that because he's coming up strong.  He had a good has year and he played all the top guys again in the last year and pushed us all.

So I figure six months later since I played him in Cincinnati he's going to be a better player.  He's got massive potential, and he'll be part of the top 10 for probably a long time.

Q.  In what you've seen of Bernard in two matches, how do you rate his potential for the future?

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, very good.  I think he's proved his point.  Obviously now it's about keeping that up time and time again, day in, day out, you know, when he's not only just maybe playing on center court, but also on the smaller courts.  You have to go through those times, as well.

Yeah, and then find your way on center court, and then when everybody expects it again from you that you deliver.  So far he's handled it really well.  He's improved a lot since last year, he's, improved a lot since Davis Cup in Sydney.

It can only be expected in some ways, but sometimes people want too much too soon.  But I think he's really had a really difficult draw here, and he's made the most of it, in my opinion.

I think he's had a wonderful tournament, and I think there's much more that's gonna come the Australian way, I would say.

Q.  On that same theme, it has been a very exciting week for the Australians, both with Tomic and Hewitt.  The new hope is gone now it's just Lleyton.  How would you describe the run he's one, particularly at this tournament with all the injuries and challenges, and now the big challenge that lies ahead of him for tomorrow night.

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I was happy for Lleyton.  I fist pumped when he won yesterday.  I was very happy for him.

Look, I've had too many tough battles with him, so in some ways you're happy that you don't have to face him but you can watch him battle and know for the other guy how it feels and how he can make you feel.

I was really happy for him, because he hasn't gotten a fair chance to prove still how good he is.  Some judge him on his ranking, which is obviously not telling the truth.

I think he's been playing really well still the last two years.  Just didn't get enough matches and never really got on a roll because he was always interrupted the whole time.

So I was really happy, because like Tomic as well, he's had a really difficult draw.  The first guy, Stebe, played amazing as well, and I thought Lleyton did so well to come through.

I was just really happy from then on that he's won another two matches in a great way.  Now, you know, there's nothing to lose, which is nice for him, as well.  I'm sure he's going to do well against Djokovic.

Q.  Will you be watching?

ROGER FEDERER:  I assume they're playing tomorrow night.  Yeah, I hope I can watch it, yes.

Q.  Could you reflect a little on when you were 19?  I think that was the year you beat Pete at Wimbledon.  Just being at the levels perhaps that Switzerland didn't expect but you expected, and when we saw you, the world expected.  How have you coped with that and how you plotted your course from there on?

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I mean, it's funny.  When you're 19 you have nothing to lose, you feel like.  But then you feel an immense pressure, just the constant pounding of knocking on the door from everybody saying, When are you going to make the breakthrough?

Well, not everybody is Michael Chang or Boris Becker or Lleyton Hewitt who just breaks through at 16, 17, and then you're done with the breakthrough and now you're established.  It's just not so simple.

Some need to work harder.  Some need to work longer.  I think I was one of those guys who kind of had to understand my own game, and then eventually when my fitness and my mind was all sort of coming together, this was when I was able to play my best.

That 2001 period against Pete was exactly that time.  I took a major decision a few months earlier to be quiet on the court, and it worked well for me.  I played the quarters at the he French and then quarters at Wimbledon beating Pete.  And then I finished the year 23, I think.

So I had a really good year, and, you know, breakpoints, nothing to lose, just go for it.  And then at times you get super frustrated and you can't play your ball into the court just because I was very still up and down mentally, you know.

I think all the youngsters we're seeing today are much more solid.  I'm amazed actually how strong Rafa and Murray and Djokovic and Tomic and all these guys are.  Also Raonic.  It's pretty impressive, I have to say.

Q.  14 years ago you played your first match in Gstaad, and next match will be your No. 1000.

ROGER FEDERER:  That's what I'm hearing.

Q.  Do you mind to tell us something about all those 1000 matches now?  (Laughter.)

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I don't think so.  I want to go back.

But I don't know.  It's been a lot of matches, and I remember some very vividly.  Some I've started to forget, which I guess is a good sign.  I'm taking it that way.

Yeah, I have had some tough losses over the years, but I've also had some of the most incredible feelings out there.  I never thought as a kid I would ever cry after I won matches, because I always used to cry after I lost every single match when I was sort of from 8 to basically 15.

It was always emotional because I always tried my best, and whenever I lost for me it was tragic.  So the first time I was able to sort of ‑‑ I cried after I have won a match, I was like, What the hell is happening to me?  I can't believe I care so much about this sport which I love so much.  It came as a surprise.

But then I had so much success and I could relive those memories.  It was really nice, and that I'm still fit and healthy and eager to play and hungry.  It's great.

Obviously for me it's just another match, but I know it's special in some ways.  I will try to make the best of it, I guess.

Q.  What has been the worst moment of all?

ROGER FEDERER:  I don't know.  I don't see as one standing out.  I went through some tough moments as well where I was frustrated and I didn't like it as much.  But, I don't know.  I always stay positive.  I'm a very positive person.

I found a way, and sure, sometimes you're extremely sad, you know, like when I lost here against Lleyton in Davis Cup or whatever it is.  You know, where I just feel like, God, I should have won and you end up losing.

It was tough moments maybe for, you know, an hour or a couple of days potentially, but life goes on and you get a second chance, which is good in tennis.

Q.  What do you remember of your first title in Milan?  Won your first ATP title in Milan.  What do you remember of that?

ROGER FEDERER:  Well, I didn't come in thinking I was going to win the title, but I knew I was playing well indoors.  I was really close against Rosset earlier I think in Marseilles.  I lost 7‑6 in the third, which is obviously very, again, emotional, because it was against a fellow Swiss.  He was like my bigger brother.  He kind of taught me how things worked on tour besides my coach and so forth.

So it was very awkward in a way playing him in the finals.  Back then everybody was serving and volleying indoors.  There was not much you could do sometimes.  Almost won and then ended up losing.

I think my second finals was in Basel.  I played amazing against Enqvist and ended up losing that, too.

So I though, Oh, God.  Here we go.  I'm never going to win a tournament.

And then when I won Milan, obviously I was extremely relieved and just very happy.  I played great.  I think I beat Kafelnikov in the semis and Boutter in the finals.  It was a big moment for me.

My family drove down from Switzerland.  I don't remember if we celebrated or not, because I think they left right away afterwards.  But my closest friends and family were very happy for me.

Q.  Two years ago you played Del Potro.  It was 6‑3, 6‑3, 6‑Love.

ROGER FEDERER:  Three years ago.

Q.  What do you foresee now?  Do you think you won't repeat that score?

ROGER FEDERER:  No, I won't.  I can guarantee you that.  I think it's going to be a good match.  Look, I think he's coming back awfully strong again.

I was sad to see that he was out for so long after his amazing year in 2009, I guess it was, and I thought he had a chance in 2010 to sort of make a run for world No. 1.  Injury came and things obviously changed, and now he's had to have a great year to get back in the top 15, I think, and now he's making his move to the top 10.

It's nice is to see him back.  He's a good guy.  I'm looking forward to the match.  I think it's going to be a tough one.  He really came through convincingly in the last two especially.  And, yeah, we know the firepower.

I played him in Cincinnati six months ago.  It was super fast.  It's going to be different.  We'll have many more rallies, so for me, a chance to mix it up, but I have to stay aggressive myself, as well.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
. FEDERER/J. Del Potro

6‑4, 6‑3, 6‑2

Q.  How important was it at the early part of the match to kind of put a marker down and show that you weren't going to be intimidated by him in those early exchanges?

ROGER FEDERER:  I guess for me it was more trying to get used to the day conditions again, make sure the ball doesn't fly on me, and sort of get used to his pace and make sure I don't have any hiccups in my own sort of service games, really.

Because I mean, how Juan Martin plays.  He knows how I play.  We have played some big matches against each other.  So just knowing how well he's been playing as of late, I was just hoping that I would get off a good start.  But I was able to mix it up well and control the ball, and right away sort of felt confident, which then sort of helped me to use all aspects of my game.

Then it got tough with the shadow creeping in, and I knew that was going to happen rather sooner than later just because the matches before me took some time.  I knew it was going to happen eventually.  That's why the second set, serving out the second set was key for me.  You know, get through that tough patch, and then in the third it was a bit more free swinging for me.

Him, maybe, as well, and I took advantage of that.

Q.  It felt pretty airless out there.  Were the conditions quite brutal?

ROGER FEDERER:  You mean the heat?

Q.  Yeah.

ROGER FEDERER:  No, no problem for me, anyway.  It was dry heat.  Sure, because there was no wind it increased, you know, the feeling of it being a bit warmer, but I had no problem at all.

I have played in much tougher conditions.  I have no issues.

Q.  When you saved the fourth break point on 5‑3 in the second set after a long, long rally, you made one of the loudest roars I have ever heard from you.

ROGER FEDERER:  That's why I didn't celebrate when I won the set, just to make it up, you know.

But, no, it was a couple of big moments for me.  I really knew how important that game was for me.  Particularly in the one rally actually ‑ I think it was before that ‑‑ where I hit a backhand down the line and I hit it on the line long.

It was so hard to see the ball, really I didn't know where the backhand was going to go.  If it would have gone two meters out, I wouldn't have been surprised.  It ended up on the line.  It was very important for me.

Then the next point I was sort of trying dictate, but I was a bit, honestly, a bit scared to hit through it just because it was tough to see the ball, you know, out there with the sun coming in from the side.

I was struggling, as well, with the serve just a little bit.  I mean, photographs were having a blast.  Every time I was tossing up the ball I heard about a hundred clicks, you know, so it was quite something out there.

But I was able to come through and it was big.

Q.  There are endless milestones you have been passing on the way.  What does it actually mean to you to rack up 1000 and do it in such style, as well?

ROGER FEDERER:  Well, 1000 matches, not 1000 wins.  Big difference.  (Laughter.)

I wish it was 1000 wins, but I'm happy with 1000 matches in total, too.  It's nice to win this one.  I mean, eventually I will forget which was one was my 1000th match and someone will remind me again.

I do not remember my 500, and that was the US Open final against Agassi.  No bigger matches than those ones.

It's a big milestone, I agree.  It's a lot of matches and a lot tennis.  Either I have been around for a long time or I'm extremely fit.  You decide which way you want to describe it.  I don't know.  But I'm happy.

Q.  You didn't win your 1000th match, but you won 2000 sets in those 1000.

ROGER FEDERER:  Today?

Q.  Yes, today.  With first with the first set, that was your No. 2000.

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, a lot of milestones.  A roadrunner.

Q.  Do you think the semifinal lineup will now be the top four players in the world?

ROGER FEDERER:  I think there's a good chance, yeah.  I think all the top guys are playing really well at the moment.

But I think all of us ‑‑ I mean, I was the first to play the quarters, I guess.  We were all staring down at tough opponents, you know, in the quarters, and then knowing what potentially could happen in the semis and the finals.

We know it's going to be a tough end to the tournament if you get there.  But it could well be, you know.  I wouldn't be surprised if it were to happen, but the matches aren't easy.

Q.  Do you feel like you're striking the ball as well as you ever have and in comparison to the top 2, or is the perfectionist in you still a bit dissatisfied?

ROGER FEDERER:  In comparison to the top 2?  You mean my game compared to them?

Q.  Yeah.

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I mean, well, I don't know.  I'm watching them for entertainment really at the moment.  Tonight will be maybe the first time it will change a bit.  I will watch Rafa's match with maybe more of a purpose, Berdych's match, too, just to see how it's really going.

So far they have been extremely solid.  I said before, all of them are playing really well.  I'm really happy with my game.  That's what I'm most concerned with, to be quite honest.

I'm moving well.  I'm serving well.  I'm hitting the ball clean.  Today I thought, you know, in a very hot day with, you know, fast conditions, I was able to control the ball.

From now on basically it's only night sessions, so it's going to change now.  It's going to be an even easier sort of to get a better feel for the ball; then again, it's going to be more athletic and tougher.  I'm ready for that.

Q.  Those Rafa comments before the start of the tournament are probably forgotten for you, but does this make a difference if you play against him in the semifinal?  Does it change something?

ROGER FEDERER:  No.  No.  Honestly, no.  It was here for one day and then gone again.  I'm happy about that, because it didn't deserve more attention than it did.

Yeah, so for me it's another great match with Rafa potentially, but he's got a tough task with Berdych first.

But obviously I'd like to play Rafa because of our great epic match earlier in the finals here a few years ago.  I'd like to get a chance to play him again here.

Q.  Does it feel different being on the same side of the draw as him for the first time a long time?  You met him several Grand Slam finals.  Obviously first time in a semi potentially since '05.

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, it's been a long time.  I don't know when the last time has been when we played in the semis of a slam.  Maybe back in 2005 maybe at the French potentially, I don't know.

But it's true, we have been, you know, on opposite sides of the draw many times.  I didn't even play Murray last year, you know, because we were ranked I guess 3 and 4, so we always ran into Novak or ‑‑ I basically always ran into Novak.

I guess it's a nice changeup.  Okay, it doesn't allow a rematch for the Australian Open final here, you know, if Murray were to play Novak.  But I think it's good for tennis that it changes up a bit.  Like I said, I'd love to play Rafa in the semis if it happens.

Q.  This is the other side of the game, but did you feel a little bit of sympathy with Caroline Wozniacki who has had to put up with a lot of, not criticism necessarily, but a lot of investigation into the fact that she's been the No. 1 player of the world without winning a slam.  Been taking quite a bit of schtick for what she's done.  Do you feel a little bit of sympathy for her in that situation?

ROGER FEDERER:  Well, I mean, I haven't followed in detail what's been written in the press about her or how she's been handling her press conferences or how tough you guys have been on her.

But I can imagine it could be tricky because it's been like this for a while now.  Many world No. 1s in the past have not won slams.  I have been aware of that, so it makes it difficult out there on the court, I guess.  I see many women's players being extremely sort of tense and fist pumping after every single point.  It's to me pretty surprising to see that, I guess.

I have fist pumped maybe five times at the most, and they do that in one game.  It's incredible to see how intense they are.  But then again, I think she's done really well.  There has been many players coming in and out of the game on the women's side.

But it's not her problem, really.  She did her work, and I think she deserves to be world No. 1.  There is no free pass to world No. 1, you know.  I think she's done very well.  She wasn't just there for a week, either.  You have to credit her for taking advantage of it and doing the best of it.

It's not all about the slams anyway.  They're big tournaments, you know, but it's not only about that.

Q.  You hear on TV they talk about statement wins, which they said about you tonight.  Does that concept even exist?  Are there results during a tournament that other players make that echo with you?

ROGER FEDERER:  Maybe a little bit.  I didn't look at this one as a statement win.  I mean, I knew the danger of playing Juan Martin, so potentially it was my big test.

But I kind of look looked at the Tomic match as a big test for me, you know, seeing where my rhythm was, how I was playing, because the first three rounds I didn't get much rhythm.  For me it was maybe that match.

Today I was much more relaxed about playing Juan Martin for some reason, even though he's got the much bigger record as a player.  Yeah, so I don't think players are going to read into this performance much.  I'm just happy I'm moving on and I'm in the semis already.

I feel like it's been a quick week for me, and I feel great.  So it's all about that right now.  Sure, when you see the other top guys, you know, always going straight sets, you know, never any issues, yeah, I mean, it does ring a bell.

You know, you say, Okay, the other guys are playing really well, too.  That's why I wouldn't be surprised if we're all in the semis.

Q.  Are you able to compare those matches against Del Potro?  You had some tough ones and that was so easy.  Does that mean you are a little better?  Is he a little worse?

ROGER FEDERER:  Ah, I don't know.  Look, it's just day form as well, exists as well.  Sometimes I'm just playing well and he's maybe not, and then all of a sudden, you know, there is a combination of many things happening that you end up winning in straight sets.

But I didn't really struggle too much on his serve today for some reason.  I was able to return great, and I think that was a big key.  Then I think I was serving the right way, even though I didn't have the highest first serve percentage.

I think things really went well for me tonight, or today, I think.  I still believe he's right there, you know, in the group behind the top 4.  If that means 5 or 11, I don't think it matters much.  He's right there.  He's going to make another move and another push this year, I think.

I will definitely see him in the top 8 at the end of the year.  He'll get many more chances this year.  It's a long year and it's only the beginning.

So for me, I'm happy I'm playing well, but I also see that he's actually in good shape, too.

Q.  Worried at all about keeping the momentum you had at the end of last season, because there is that break.  You can't really...

ROGER FEDERER:  A little bit.  I mean, I guess you're always a little worried that when you come back you're like not going to play as good and conditions are going to be different.

This was all indoors at the end of the season.  This is clearly slow outdoor hard courts, so you're never quite sure if you're going to adjust and are you going to be moving as well or is it going to be completely different movement just because it is slower‑paced courts.

Then again, I have been there so many times and I have finished the seasons six times on an absolute high.  Probably the times I didn't win I still finished great.  There's probably eight or nine times I came in with a lot of confidence into the new season, and most of the times I always played a good Australian Open.

I never lost here I think in the first round or before the third round, so I've always played really well here.  So you are worried it's always going to happen for the first time, so I'm relieved I'm going to be in the semis, to be honest.

Q.  Do you ever lose sleep before a big game or big match?

ROGER FEDERER:  A little bit.  Sometimes.  Rarely.  It's more the girls than the opponent.  (Laughter.)

It does occasionally happen, yes.

Q.  Rod Laver arrived here today.  Is there an extra feeling, an extra special feeling when someone like him is around to watch a Grand Slam?

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, it's nice.  I mean, I love it when former greats come out and sort of not watch me but watch us sort of play.  I think it's very nice.

It's nice to see Lendl back in the game.  Doesn't matter who he's playing or working with, to be honest.  It's nice to see him back and sort of caring about what sort of made his life, I guess.  Because we do all love it deeply, you know, somehow, in some way.

I saw Roy Emerson also today sitting there all of a sudden.  I said, Oh, that's nice to see you, but I didn't say that and I didn't acknowledge him, because I'm pretending to be focused, right?

I was very happy to see him.  It's nice to see greats and legends come out and watch sort of my generation, you know, play on the big courts.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Last game and on-court interview:

Roger Federer vs Juan Martin Del Potro Australian Open 2012 Set3 Last Game and Interview

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Roger's next match.  I hope we can improve this H2H:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:34:19 PM by Dallas »

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Ah f**k the dreaded Fedal match in a grand slam.  :mad1:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
I still feel better that it's NOT on clay.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Slow high-councing hard courts = clay. :ZZZZZ) :ZZZZZ)

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
I think Roger will pull this one out the bag.. I just hope he gets to display his complete repertoire of shots.. No looking back now.. Federer must trust his groundstrokes and play aggressively, use the length and breadth of the court and most importantly, serve lights out. I know that is very, very hard, especially against Nadal.. Still, Federer is a class act, who has beaten Rafa on the biggest stage.. So, I hope Roger can test the Spaniard comprehensively. ;-()

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Sorry, but there is no way in hell that Federer can beat Nadal on outdoor court anymore.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Here's the interview with ESPN between Roger and Rod Laver yesterday:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7501282&categoryid=2491545
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 03:39:26 PM by Dallas »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God