Author Topic: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!  (Read 820693 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
I had not seen these pictures before:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Roger's first match at Indian Wells.  (I hope we don't get a Murray-type match)

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:07:35 PM by Dallas »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Roger Federer - 11.3.2012

FEDERER d. Kudla 64 61

Q. Was that maybe the perfect start?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah. I mean, look, I'm always relieved and happy when I am able to find my way into a tournament, see some of the matches, and, you know, where you're at, sort of.
So it's a good start for me. I didn't know Kudla very much, or at all, really, so it was a good win for me.

I'm looking forward to what's next.

Q. You must know Raonic a bit more.

ROGER FEDERER: Little bit more. Yeah, I've only practiced with him once at Wimbledon last year. I have seen a little bit against Hewitt this year at the Australian Open, and he's obviously a good player and up and coming, and just had, again, a great run in the American hard courts, you know, early in the season.
So this is sort of the same area of the world, similar surface, and I expect it to be a very tough match, obviously.

Q. There were some pictures and reports that you maybe hurt your arm in practice when you were practicing with Gasquet, or is it just nothing?

ROGER FEDERER: No, I just fell down. But no, no problems at all.

Q. No injury at all?

ROGER FEDERER: Nope.

Q. Have you been at all worried about the illness that's been going around, the players in the area, the virus?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I haven't hung around much at all, so worried, yes. I guess everyone is, yes. But, yeah, we're fighting something of our own in our family, so it doesn't matter where it's coming.

Q. Someone with you has it, or...
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, we have tons of stuff going on at the moment. (Laughter.)

Q. Is it just a cold or is it a flu?

ROGER FEDERER: I don't know. I have a bit of a combination. Not terrible temperature, but I have some things going on. But I'm best off from the family, so thank God I'm the tennis player here.
No, the rest of them are struggling much more.

Q. With you and Rafa and Novak, Andy, and a lot of other outstanding players in the men's game at the moment, if you think back, would you consider this to be "the" greatest or one of "the" greatest eras of men's tennis?

ROGER FEDERER: No. Just because that's not up to me to call that shot, anyway. Two years ago we had a not very strong era, so now all of a sudden it's supposed to be the strongest.
I'm always gonna disagree with journalists who never thought it was except the top two it was a weak era back then and now all of a sudden they think it's a great one.
I always thought Novak and Andy and so many players are great, great players. But it's just an opinion anyway from people. I mean, I am amazed how deep we go in every tournament, the four of us, since a long time now. That's what I've been most amazed of.
But then again, the surface sort of allows us to do that, too. It's just a different time. And we're very good players, but like I said, it's a different time back then, so can't compare.

Q. You get Raonic in the next round, whom I gather you have not played previously. When you're playing a guy for the first time, do you try to give it that little bit extra in order to impress upon him how masterful you are?

ROGER FEDERER: How? Match? What?

Q. Masterful you are.

ROGER FEDERER: Oh, no. I mean, look, he's obviously got a good serve, so there is not that much you can do on his serve. Let's say against a guy maybe, you know, who allows you to play much more from the baseline you can come into a match and maybe impress a bit more by playing really aggressive.
But your focus serve with my own serve, not to make any mistakes there, and then try your best on his serve. But that's because he's known for his big serve and his big sort of one two punch.
Against a guy like this you're obviously going to try to make it as athletic as possible. I'm looking forward to that match. He's a good player. Sometimes you can help and some it cannot help to never have played a guy before.

Q. Robin Soderling is struggling to get back from fitness. It's something that you know about from suffering from the same thing.

ROGER FEDERER: Well, not so bad.

Q. Have you reached out to him, or is there anything that you can say about his condition?

ROGER FEDERER: No. I mean, we're just hearing stuff, really. I have never been that close to Robin. You know, sort of reaching out, I don't have his number and so forth.
But it's terrible news always when you see him not coming back, not feeling well, rumors going around like with Del Potro that these guys were never going to come back. One has a mental problem and the other guy has a big, massive health issue.
You don't know what's really true until you hear it from him. My hope for these guys like this is they can come back and be as good as they were before, but it's always going to throw you back a bit, in particular when you've been out for so long like Robin has now.
Yeah, because I don't think he's probably carrying around a whole lot of pain so you feel like it's possible to come back but then every time you try you don't feel well, and it's a tough illness to have, I guess. Yeah, let's hope for the best for Robin.

Q. Tennis is such an individual sport. It's so mental. You're basically out there with your strokes and in your head. In big matches, say, when you're struggling, what goes through your head? Do your thoughts race? Do you stay calm? Do you get angry at yourself?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I guess it depends upon where you're at in your career. Depends upon where you are in your season potentially, because you could be when you're down and you're confident, you don't, you know, panic as much.
But if things are already going not so well and then you're down again in the score you might get nervous about the situation. So depends a bit how things have gone lately.
But then I guess with experience also you just know you have to stay, you know, your course. You have to keep working hard and not just completely change up your game just because you're down in the score.
Sometimes the score doesn't tell the whole story. As you know, five minutes can make a massive difference in tennis, and you don't have to play particularly bad. You just get unlucky or things just kinda don't work out for you and you're down in the score.
So it's important to stay calm and focused on what you've been doing and what you want to do. It's not an easy thing to do sometimes. But, I don't know, you get the idea. Sometimes depends obviously on how the opponent allows you to come back in the match or not.

Q. Can you think of a particularly mentally strong performance you have had, and maybe a weak one?

ROGER FEDERER: I have had many in both ways, I'm sure. One that stands out is, I guess, the one in Miami where I came back from two sets to love and a break down against Rafa. I just thought that was a really difficult situation for me to come through, and at the end I played some of the best tennis in the fifth set.
So that one for me was a major match, sort of breakthrough almost, because I really struggled throughout the match and found a way. Those are the nicest ones to come through.

Q. You won the French Open, but if you have to choose one just one moment, what is your best moment in Paris?

ROGER FEDERER: In Paris? At Roland Garros?
Hmm. I don't know. So victory is not the one I can choose?

Q. Just a big moment.

ROGER FEDERER: I don't know. I guess it's after match point when I go to my knees. It's when it sunk in and it's reality and it's not just this incredible title I'm chasing anymore. It's done. I got it, you know.

Obviously you probably know as well as I do, you know, the great tournaments I played before that and how difficult that particular tournament was in 2009. So to come through all those matches with Del Potro and Tommy Haas and so forth, it was just an amazing victory for me against Soderling in the rain. So it was great.
Qu

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
BNP PARIBAS OPEN

March 13, 2012

Milos Raonic

INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA

R. FEDERER/M. Raonic
6‑7, 6‑2, 6‑4

THE MODERATOR:  Questions, please.

Q.  You must have been pretty happy with the first set.  Then what happened?
MILOS RAONIC:  No, I think I did a few things well in the first set, and I think after that he just picked it up on the return.  I don't think I served as well after, either.
It was just a bit of a mix on that.  I think he picked it up, especially beginning of the second set, and then just put pressure on me.  And then it was unfortunate to lose that break in the third set.  I felt I was starting to serve a bit better, getting a bit of a rhythm.
He hit that return which just stayed really low, and it was tough to do much more than I did with it.  He obviously came up with a good shot.

Q.  What did you find about playing him?  It's Roger Federer, your first big match against him.  How did you look at the whole thing?
MILOS RAONIC:  It's good in general.  I felt at the beginning maybe I just went for a little too much, didn't play within myself.  I think I caught on to that pretty early and calmed down and did the right things.
I think it just came down to a few poorly executed plays as well as a few‑‑ I think I hit the ball well.  I just was picking the wrong shot, and this is what makes the difference.  But with experience hopefully I catch on to that.

Q.  Were nerves a factor?
MILOS RAONIC:  No, maybe just the first game, but outside of that, no.

Q.  Did you enjoy that?  I mean, was that fun playing Roger Federer?
MILOS RAONIC:  Yeah, it was.  I think it will be more fun when I sort of look back at it all and sort of measure up the things and learn from them as much as I can, see what I need to do better to give myself the opportunity to win against somebody of his caliber, another top three or four guys, and just sort of make my way do my work and hopefully get better.

Q.  At this point, do you come away from this match with more positives?  The score was close.
MILOS RAONIC:  Yeah, for sure.  I think there was a few things I could have done better, and I was there competing with what people would say is the greatest player of all time.
So that's definitely a positive, and it's something to build off of.  And hopefully next time it's better.

Q.  What was it like being in the rallies with him compared to other guys you've played once the rallies start?
MILOS RAONIC:  It's good.  The thing you just find is there's a lot of shots.  He hits the ball like the other guys, and it just‑‑ his ability to switch it and really just take you out of the court and put you on your back foot, he can do it a lot quicker and he can do it off a lot of tougher shots than other guys.
That's the biggest difference.

Q.  While you're obviously focused on your own game tonight, did you learn anything in particular from Federer on the other end?
MILOS RAONIC:  No, you see‑‑ I think the best way to describe it is he has that efficiency‑ I'm not talking about with energy and everything, just with the way he hits the ball‑ he doesn't only hit the ball hard, but he hits it with an amount of spin that makes the ball go away from you even more.
There's a lot of that's that hit the ball hard, but as long as you get behind the ball‑‑ or it's easy to get behind the ball because the ball is not breaking away.
Especially with the forehand, when he hits it crosscourt or when he hits it from the backhand side down the line, he hits it with enough spin and he hits it the right way that you even though you think you might get behind it, after the bounce it goes a little bit further away and it's harder to get behind the ball more and you end up getting a lot more shorter balls or a lot more balls that you're reaching for.

Q.  After you won the tiebreak ‑ and you played a very, very good tiebreak ‑ did you think, I think I've got a really good chance to win this, or were you thinking, Just one game at a time?
MILOS RAONIC:  I was thinking one game at a time, but I thought before the match I had a chance to win this.

Q.  You played Nadal twice; you played now Federer.  For you, who is the tougher opponent?
MILOS RAONIC:  I think it's two different things.  I think against Nadal, I feel like I just was able to sort of get more into the match.  I feel like if Federer plays well he can just blow you out quicker.
I think Nadal might be tougher to close out just because of how adamant he is and how much he perseveres through things.  Against Rafa, I feel like I had it in my hands.  I had a few more opportunities in my hands that I didn't execute.
Against Federer, I feel like if you did the things right he could take it away from you pretty quickly.

Q.  When you go out to play Federer, I'm sure you say to yourself, This is just another match, another day at the office, but there is probably a part of you that also says, Hey, I'm playing Roger, the best of all time.  Just talk about that process and if it's a little different mentally going out.
MILOS RAONIC:  No, it is.  You want to stack up well, that's for sure.  You want to give yourself those opportunities, especially for me it being the first time playing him, it's trying to earn that respect.
I thought for me just the first game would be very critical, and then from there I think I would sort of sink into it a bit and sort of find my own.
It was.  It played out that way.  I really didn't think too much about it obviously.  I think I'm aware more of how to play him than I am against most players because I have watched him more times.
I didn't think too much about it.  I just sort of tried to stay within myself and do what I know how to do.

Q.  Your first serve percentage wasn't great, I think in the 50s.  Were you struggling with something out there or did you feel a lot of pressure to...
MILOS RAONIC:  No, I was struggling with the serve today.  I felt like I could have served better.

Q.  How do you rate your composure during the match, start to finish?
MILOS RAONIC:  I think I did a good job.  I don't think there were really any problems.
I sort of‑‑ I never got ahead of myself.  I never dwelled on any past mistakes throughout the match.  I just stayed in the moment, so I was just trying to break it down and figure it out as much as I could.

Q.  You just mentioned in a previous answer about trying to earn respect.  Can you clarify that, from Federer?  From other players?
MILOS RAONIC:  Everybody.  Respect is a big thing.  There is a lot of people going out against a player like Federer that are tight or just have a big respect for him and sort of get caught up in that.
And if you have this kind of respect when matches start, throughout the middle of the matches, through big points, closing out matches, it's tougher for the other guy having the thought in their mind that, especially with my aggressive game style, it's important from the fact that people knowing that if I do get ahead a break or if I do get my chances, I'm able to serve out matches from quite early.
So it helps.  It just puts a little bit more pressure.

Q.  When it was 3‑3 when he broke you in the fourth game or that seventh game in the final set, is there anything you'd do differently on that serve?
MILOS RAONIC:  No, I think‑‑ I think I hit the right serve.  Maybe tried to get it a little wider, but he hit a return that barely made it over the net and just stayed really low.  I couldn't do anything more than what I did.
Maybe I could have tried hitting the baseline, maybe I could have hit a dropshot, but I think I played the percentage play.  He was there and he executed well down the line.

Q.  So many Canadians have winter homes here.  Did you feel extra crowd support here?
MILOS RAONIC:  It was a lot of fun.  I felt pretty much throughout the whole match, a player of his of caliber that gets love from pretty much everywhere he plays, I thought I was getting a lot of support.  That makes it more enjoyable and more fun.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
BNP PARIBAS OPEN

March 13, 2012

Roger Federer

INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA

R. FEDERER/M. Raonic
6‑7, 6‑2, 6‑4

THE MODERATOR:  Questions, please.

Q.  He went into that match with a reputation of being maybe the next big thing.  How did you view him after playing him?
ROGER FEDERER:  Um, I thought he did well.  I mean, I thought obviously he's got an amazing serve, you know that he can basically rely on at all times.  With that power and size, that's something that will sort of never go away, and it will make him a threat for the years to come, clearly.
I think from now on just this is sort of I think almost a normal performance that he put in tonight.  Does he occasionally still benefit maybe from being the unknown?  Potentially, yes.
But at the same time, if you do know him, how are you going to count the serve?  It's always going to be a hard thing.  That's why I think he'll install himself very easily and nicely in the top 30, and then make his move up the rankings.  I was impressed.  You know, he played great and made it hard for me by winning that first set tiebreaker.  He kept himself in the match till the very end, and obviously put a lot of pressure on me.

Q.  Did you start returning better?  Because you sort of worked out some sort of way to handle that serve, or how did you look at it from your return?
ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I guess just also then finally being on the court with him for over 40 minutes, I guess, gave me a chance to see it, how it works, and what is his favorite serve, what is his pattern, how does he use it.
Um, I was getting to the ball often in the beginning, but just not making the plays, you know.  That was hurting me early on.
Then I was able to improve, and once I got that going maybe his serving also just dropped a tiny bit and gave me more opportunities on his second serves.
So that was a big second set for me to get momentum, particularly the first break of the second set.  So I think the longer I stayed out there the better I started feeling.  Then, again, the surface is quite slow, and I think anywhere else we play will be a tiny bit faster.

Q.  Where would you rank his serve among all the big servers you've played in your career?
ROGER FEDERER:  Well, I mean, I can't judge his serve on one particular match.  He first has to prove himself time and time again.  He hit a ton of aces, I think the most aces of this season than anybody.  But I'm sure it's probably gonna be top 10 of all time at one point.
But, yeah, he's still got some ways to go.  Let's don't forget how many great servers we've seen in the game in the past.

Q.  You are under the weather and your family was under the weather on Sunday.  How are things going now?
ROGER FEDERER:  Slow improvements.  I'm still not 100%, so I'm happy that, you know, I did play the tournament and I got kind of what I hoped for.  It was a good, sort of a good match with Kudla, you know.  Gave myself a chance there and played actually really good under the circumstances.
I was surprised with a day off and playing Raonic who I knew was going to keep the points short.  It's kind of what I was hoping for.  Now I'm sort of in the tournament and actually feel a bit better.
Still not 100%, but looking forward to be playing a match tomorrow I think it is already again.

Q.  Does this year have any added significance for you?  Because in so many of the past years you have been the guy who has been hunted, and maybe it's shifted a bit this year and you're more the hunter.
ROGER FEDERER:  The question in the beginning was?  If I...

Q.  Does this year take on any added significance for you?
ROGER FEDERER:  No, not at all.  I'm going in with a great streak again.  I've obviously come here once into Indian Wells with a 40‑match winning streak or more and I think I lost the first round.
So I think I have been in strange, nice, difficult situations over the years.  Ever since I guess, you know, you've been world No. 1, that thing never kind of goes completely.  You always have high expectations, and you hope to make it to the last four and then hopefully play your best on the weekend, you know.
So that's never gonna change.  But then every tournament you enter you do hope not to lose in the first round and try to make your move early on, find some momentum.  That's kind of what I've been able to do, even though I have not been focusing on the big picture at all.
For me it was just first just entering the tournament and hopefully getting through one round, and then we'll see how it goes, if it's gonna get better, my health or not.  I feel like it's definitely getting better, and that's a good thing.
So I can't even focus on trying to win and who is the favorite and who is not.  I have to focus on trying to get better day by day really.

Q.  John Isner is obviously taller and quite a bit more experienced than Milos, but would you take a moment and compare their serves, please.
ROGER FEDERER:  Well, I think you can have great momentum, Milos, when he starts to get going.  He has great accuracy, and can serve obviously all four corners again and really make you feel uncomfortable.  With his one‑two punch he does a really good job, and also he plays with a bit more spin, let's say, than Isner does, particularly from the baseline.
So that makes it just a bit different, you know.  But he's a great athlete.  It shows.  You know, he uses his second serve really well, as well.  He doesn't maybe serve as big as John, but he uses the kick and slice and big second serves in good ways.  4.
So it's a different type of serve, but I think a very effective one, as well.

Q.  Can you think of other matches like this when you played the young guy coming up?  Is there sort of an approach or something or something you are trying to do or something you have been doing or you can use when you play this kind of guy for the first time?
ROGER FEDERER:  Not a whole lot, to be honest, just because he's a player that obviously relies a lot on his serve.  So you're just trying to counter that, really.
If you give me maybe as young of a guy but maybe who plays from the baseline, then maybe you try something different.  You try to really break his rhythm.  I can do that with my slice and with my play.
But here it was more just about trying to come through somehow, because I didn't know exactly how good Milos was or not.  I got the answer early on that he was very good, and it's kind of what I expected.  You hope he's maybe not that good.  (Laughter.)
So you're in a tough spot all of a sudden, which I was after the first set.  But I'm looking forward to playing him many more times.  It's exciting.  He has a big game and the crowd seems to enjoy it as well, which was fun out there tonight.

Q.  How do you see the next round, which is coming up quickly?
ROGER FEDERER:  I think I'm playing Bellucci because Davydenko pulled out early.  I heard that this morning.
I have never played Bellucci before, even though he's been on the tour for many years now, as well.  Obviously it's a quick turn of events to go from night session to day session, from a righty to a lefty, from a baseliner ‑‑ from a big server to a baseliner.
I'm looking forward to that kind of a challenge.  It's different.  I hope to feel better again tomorrow so I will be able to last through long rallies.  I haven't seen him play at all actually lately, but I know he's chosen to play more of a hard court schedule the last year or so instead of just playing on clay when he could.
So I think it's going to make him more difficult tomorrow.

Q.  Have you heard about the comments that Mikhail Llodra made, was fined for, and what are your thoughts on that?
ROGER FEDERER:  No, I didn't.  I only heard about a fine.  I don't know what happened.

Q.  Milos seems to handle the pressure of the big moments fairly well so far.  I wonder if your experience played a major factor tonight or a minor factor?
ROGER FEDERER:  Well, I guess my experience helped me to stay calm and just weather the storm.  If that's experience, I guess that's what it is, you know.  Maybe if I would be younger I'd be more panicky about him hitting aces left and right and making me feel uncomfortable.
I have been there so many times before against some of the all‑time great servers that it was obviously not going to happen tonight.  I just hoped to stay calm.  Even though I was down a set, I don't think I was, you know, playing poorly.  I might have missed one running forehand in the breaker, and that was about it.  That cost me the set.  That's just how it goes sometimes.
I think my experience in this regard helped me a bit, but overall I think I just played a good match.  My confidence got me through as well playing so many matches as of late.  I think that was maybe the difference tonight.

Q.  Were you okay when you left the court?
ROGER FEDERER:  No, no, I was just drinking so much and not sweating.  I don't know.  This is when, I don't know, I guess when you go to the toilet.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports

Online ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
thanks for the transcripts Dallas. :)
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Written on: 03/15/2012 | 02:19 PM
Roger's Presser from yesterday:

R. FEDERER/T. Bellucci 3 6, 6 3, 6 4

Q. Did that feel slightly like yesterday's match in a different way, losing the first set, breaking to start the second?
ROGER FEDERER: No, I mean, look, that was different obviously because it was much more, you know, decided at the baseline really instead of the serve and return.
I really struggled to make the transition. I was quite surprised, but at the end I found a way, and, you know, dug deep and came through. It's really important. At the end of the day, these are the wins that sort of almost feel better, to be quite honest, because when you're playing great, it's simple, it's easy, right?
But when it's not going your way and things are difficult, that's kind of the good wins.

Q. Can you talk about the experience of playing when you're feeling slightly ill? What goes first? Is it the legs? Is it the decision making? Is it the movement?
ROGER FEDERER: I mean, I guess it depends on what player you are, first of all, and secondly on who you play, what court you play on, and what illness you have, right?
So it has a lot of effect on everything. Obviously the concentration is always on elsewhere. You're not focusing really on the tactics a whole lot. You're just focusing on managing point for point and going through.
I mean, today I could think about many different things already. I'm feeling a whole lot better, and I hope with the day off I will be at 100%. But it's been a difficult week. I've hardly practiced. I've only played matches.
I think today in a baseline match it kind of showed a bit.

Q. Also when you really needed it 4 All, Love 30 I think, three, maybe four first serves in a row. That's the weapon coming through when you most need it.
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, but I think it's the confidence. I had two poor service games in the first set, and after that I was able to pick it up and not give him that many chances anymore.
That was a crucial moment, because I had 4 3, 15 30 myself the game before that, and I just kind of just stopped. I have to come through this with my serving and not with my baseline game just because I was making too many errors at that point.
I guess that's confidence, really, putting me through tonight.

Q. You've won a number of tournaments in your career being a little bit sick. Can you remember winning tournaments being a little bit under the weather?
ROGER FEDERER: Um, don't remember now exactly which one, but I have very often been hurt, you know, in one particular match during a tournament, and then you end up somehow coming through.
You come out the other side and you feel a whole lot better. Next thing you know, you've forgot about it. That's happened many, many times.
Sicknesses, I'm not so sure. I haven't been sick that often. So it's unusual, but I know I can play with a lot of problems. My game still allows me to play actually pretty good tennis regardless.

Q. Can you just speak to both the possibilities for the next round even though we don't know yet?
ROGER FEDERER: Remind me?

Q. Del Potro or Istomin.
ROGER FEDERER: Well, Juan Martin, I know him really well now. I have played him often in the last year now. I think we've played three times already.
He's really coming back very strong, and he's gonna be clearly, my opinion, in the top 10 at the end of the year, if not a whole lot higher.
Now, I don't know how much is gonna help him or me the slow conditions here at Indian Wells if we were to play against each other, because Dubai was extremely quick.
It's gonna be something you know, gonna present a different challenge to me. But I remember him playing well here in the past, and it's gonna be a tough matchup, you know.
Istomin, I've only played him once before in Cincinnati. That was a quick court, and I think he gave up a seven games. So there's not a whole lot I know about him, even though very friendly with him.
I think he's really improved as well over the last couple years now. He's become much more athletic and he can really take it to you and he has a great serve and wonderful backhand.
So both of them pretty similar, actually: big ball striker from the baseline with a big serve. So you have to take it to them and play aggressive, you know, yourself.

Q. You said you're feeling a lot better now. Did you ever consider withdrawing from Indian Wells in previous days?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, the night was rough before my first round match, and I was thinking, I don't know how I'm gonna do this. But I woke up and I felt a little bit better.
That went and I didn't feel good in the afternoon again. One hour before the match I started to feel better again. At that point I always knew I was going to go out on court and give it a try, at least.
I knew I had a day off after that, after the first round match. That really gave me, you know, the belief that I could do it, you know.
I wasn't as sick as the rest of my family, so I was just really worried I was gonna get even more, you know, worse sickness. But I got maybe a bit lucky. It's taken some time to for me to get better, to be honest. I thought I would see quicker improvements, but still hurting a bit.
But at least I don't have sort of massive headache and aches and pains anymore. That's all gone now.

Q. Can you actually recall a tournament when so many people seem to have gone down with something that no one quite knows what it is?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, maybe here a few years ago. There was something going on, as well.
No, but not this magnitude, no. This has been pretty significant, absolutely.

Q. Have you taken any special precautions, done anything differently, not eaten something...
ROGER FEDERER: No. I mean, look, I don't think I got or the family got this thing from here like all the rest of the players, because our symptoms are completely different.
So I think ours came from just the travel going from cold to warm, cold to warm, and with the time change I think that's what really got us.
Precautions, no. I mean, just, yeah, nothing really, to be honest. We just tried to get better.
I think as I was hearing that people were getting sick we were already sick, so, yeah. Things happened fairly quickly when I got here.

Q. With the sickness, all the precautions athletes have to take on what's allowed and what's not allowed with the drug situation, how careful do you have to be, and is it a case if you can't take like full strength medication to get better really fast because of all these restrictions?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, honestly it's quite tough, actually. You know, I'm super worried always, because every different Olympic committee, you know, doesn't guarantee for the other. And if you take something here, Switzerland doesn't guarantee for that potentially.
All these things are potentially, you know, difficult for us, and that's where I always take a bit less than what I should.
But, I mean, sometimes you're feeling so bad that you have to trust doctors. You check it and you do this, but you know, I'd like to check everything two or three times, but sometimes you just don't have the time to do that.
But obviously you always make sure, because the last thing you want is that you make a mistake and, you know, something happens, especially when you're not feeling really well.
In emergency cases I would say this one wasn't so I had a bit of time, you know, to see what I was gonna have. But it is very difficult, I think, for us, the players, and that's why you want to have your sort of medication always with you so you know where it came from.

Q. Maria Sharapova once said or recently said that one of the things she was looking forward to when she retires is being able to go to the drugstore, the pharmacy, and just get whatever she wants, so to speak.
ROGER FEDERER: I'm not looking forward to that. That means I'm sick. (Smiling.)

Q. Does that ring true to you? It's something you just have to pay attention to?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, but look, I have been sick so rarely that it's considering with all the flying and the people we meet and the different food we eat and all that stuff and fatigue level we go through sometimes, I'm surprised, you know, we're not more sick, you know, all of us, all the players, to a degree.
That's why I understand what she's saying, you know. But these are the rules of the game. And look, if you're sick for two more days, you know, it's not a big issue, actually, as long as you're not out for the count for a long, long time, right?

Q. Going back to today's match, were you surprised at the level that Bellucci was able to play for so long during the match? He sustained a very high level of play?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I think he's a high quality player and he has a great base of shots, you know. He has very good backhand. He's got a dangerous forehand with a lot of spin; he's a lefty and his serve is unusual.
So it took me some time getting used to all of that game. I think he took advantage of that in the first set, and really, you know, put me under pressure in the third. I think he did well tonight. He's a good player. I knew that going in.
He's obviously had also sort of a funny way of getting into this third or fourth round. He deserves it. He's a great player. And for me, it was difficult out there out there. I'm really relieved I came through, but I was impressed by his play.

Q. There are a lot of big forehands in the game. Where do you rank Del Potro's, and what's so deadly about it?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, he hits it big on the run and he can hit it big from almost anywhere, really, especially when he has time. You always want to put him on the run, but when he's on the run he becomes dangerous, too.
So there are two ways. He doesn't roll it too much. He likes to hit his sort of slap it hard and flat. So obviously sometimes he doesn't get the angle, you know, he's looking for.
But just the sheer power, it's difficult to counter that. But I can absorb pace pretty well, so maybe that's why the matchup for me is not the worst one.
But overall, also, you know, his backhand works really well with his forehand. I think that's most important with his game. And, yeah, it's incredible how actually well he moves for a big guy.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
I see the family is feeling a whole lot better.  They made their first appearance at Indian Wells:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 11:13:59 PM by Dallas »

Online ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
Dallas : can you get the transcripts of roger's & delpo's post match interview ?? :innocent:

or can you give me the link where i can find them ??

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
So Fed fans, what kind of odds are you giving Rog today?

After yesterday, nothing can be taken for granted.
Big John will have to spankin' that serve today in order to have a chance.
I also wonder if he is mentally ready for such a big match.

Fed on the other had is a veteran when it comes to finals.
A quick start, build some confidence early and shake up Isner and he might be able to put this one in the bag.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Here's the interview from the Del Potro match:

Q. You always not a big fan of Hawk Eye. Do you think what happened today showed again the inconsistencies of...
ROGER FEDERER: No, I mean, it happens. I mean, I seen something worse happen here years ago between Murray and Ljubicic. I mean, it's always gonna happen, stuff like that.
But, you know, back then with the bad calls sometimes you get these arguments, you know. It was just different to see. You know, there was a different momentum, something you kind of talk about sometimes.
I don't know, it just has more flare to it, you know, when you have these bad calls from time to time. Now it's just straightforward; you move on. There's a good call, bad call, the worst that can happen is you run out of challenges and the umpire then misses everything and the linespeople too.
But the chances of that happening are virtually impossible. Yeah, I mean, it's fine what it is, you know. But I liked it the way it was, and I'm fine with what it is today.

Q. Do you feel like your game really lifted today after the last two matches, given the fact that you said you felt better, as well?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I did play well against Raonic and struggled against Bellucci. So this was definitely a great match. I sort of expected myself to come out and play a good match today after the struggle I had against Bellucci.
I don't usually struggle, you know, back to back days, so this was for me a really good match against a great player. I'm happy I was happy to maintain the great streak I've got going against him this year.

Q. On your serve, Del Potro was standing way behind the baseline. Was that helpful to you today?
ROGER FEDERER: Um, well, he had a tendency to do that in the past. Then lately he's moved up more, which I think, you know, you have to do just it works against some players, maybe against 60, 70% of the guys, and then against certain other playing styles it doesn't work.
So I guess the base should be at the front, but you can always try it out on a slow court here. It might work. I've played him obviously at the French Open over five sets like that and he was way, way back. Maybe even at the US Open. I don't even remember.
So it sometimes works against some players. Today it didn't work. I think I served well eventually after a tough you know, a bit of a struggle early on.
But, yeah, it definitely makes for different tennis when someone is standing so far back on the return. You know, takes some getting used to, as well.

Q. You have had so many matches with Rafa, hours and hours. Hung out with him some off the court. Over the years, either what have you learned the most or admired the most about him on court and off?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, he's got a great work ethic, and obviously he's one of the great players, you know, of all time.
I have had some great matches with him all around the world by now, you know. So I hope I can play him here.
But at the same time, I have no preference, because I have had some great matches with Nalbandian, too. We'll see who I'll play.

Q. You've never played him here, which is kind of interesting. You guys have played 27 times. Can you evaluate how the conditions or this court, do you think, will play, if you end up playing him?
ROGER FEDERER: I think this and Miami probably plays best for Rafa on hard court, you know, because it's very slow. Miami can be windy, which I don't think he minds. I mean, I don't mind that, either.
Just the slowness of the courts helps his play. He has such great movement that obviously this is a court that, you know, works well for him. I think also the results show he's been incredibly consistent here particularly here over the past years.
I don't know how consistent he's been in Miami, but he's been also very tough to beat over there. That's why if I play him I would expect a difficult match.

Q. What went through your head in the first set when they did have that Hawk Eye thing. You were just bouncing the ball. He was just letting you go whether it was a second serve, first serve, what have you. What's going through your head while all that stuff is going on?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, nothing. I'm just waiting. (Laughter.)
Well, all of a sudden it's happened before that Hawk Eye didn't work or I mean, you know, crazy enough, when I played Rafa in Wimbledon, at 6 All in the fifth Hawk Eye wasn't available anymore because of the light.
That was great for us to know, you know, for the players. It wasn't such an important match. Who cares? (Laughter.)
Also, I was just waiting, and then for one split second I was like, Oop, maybe look at this thing is not going to work.
So I thought the ball was out. Yeah, that was it, basically. And then you just go with the call of the umpire and you sort of move on with it.

Q. You have had some pretty amazing streaks going into tournaments, and you've also gone into Roland Garros with the possibility of winning four in a row a couple of times. Looking ahead to Roland Garros and Djokovic, which kind of pressure is hardest, do you think: having the streak that he had going in last year, or now the possibility of winning four in a row?
ROGER FEDERER: I don't know. I guess it's similar but completely different. I mean, it's hard to judge, I guess. This one's gonna be a little easier maybe because of the pressure of last year. He's been there. He's had a massive thing going like he has this year going for him, so he'll come into this probably thinking, you know, I've had to face the music with everybody saying, Oh, you are gonna do it, you're not gonna do it, and the whole thing. He managed it well I thought for a long, long period of time.
He never expected I don't think to win 40 plus matches in a row. Yeah, I mean, he's gonna have a great season again, so he will be coming to the French probably pretty confident, and all on his mind is trying to get his first French Open. So it's gonna be tough on all of us.
It's not going to be an easy tournament to win because we know sort of Rafa owns that place.

Q. You've talked about Wimbledon a lot, but when you first go to Paris and know that Roland Garros is coming, what are some of the things that go through your mind just before the tournament, and what does it mean to return to return to Paris and play Roland Garros?
ROGER FEDERER: It's a great place for me personally. I have amazing fans over there. Not far away from Switzerland, so I have tons of friends coming over.
It's nice because the weather only gets better as sort of weeks go by. Sometimes can you get unlucky and really play through a lot of rain through Monaco and all those tournaments all the way through to Rome, which happened to me one year. You know, even at the French I played in the rain.
You can be a bit unlucky at times, but the French usually is really good. Yeah, it's kinda, you are looking forward to that. Right now my focus is completely somewhere else, not on the French Open.

Q. There is a cliché that says clay is the slow surface on the circuit, but surfaces have become slower and slower through the years. Is this cliché still available? Are there surfaces that actually play at least as slow as clay?
ROGER FEDERER: I'm sure, yeah, absolutely. This ain't a whole lot faster than clay, if not slower, you know. Because on a nice day on clay the ball bounces a lot. You have the bad bounces, and, yeah, you can serve big really on clay.
And then with the sliding, if you play it the right way, you can really make someone really uncomfortable. Which here it's always great footwork, great grip on the court, and all that stuff.
From what I heard, the rallies are longer now on an average at Wimbledon and at the French Open, believe it or not. There you go. I think the balls and all this stuff have slowed down way too much, but it's where we're stuck with at the moment.

Q. Why all the dropshots today? Was that a commentary on Del Potro's speed?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, like we just mentioned before he returns from way back, so obviously he starts the point from way back there. Obviously he's a big guy; bigger guys always maybe tend to move a bit slower than obviously the little quick guy.
I just wanted to see if it worked. If it worked, do it a bit more often. If it didn't, I would stop doing it. Just for variation I guess you almost have to do it against Juan Martin at times.
But then again, I guess it depends on what kind of playing style you have. For me it worked well today. Not all the time. Then you have then someone's tendency to overdo it as well, so you always have to pick the right time to do it.

Q. Novak beat you four times on hard last year, but you beat him on clay. Is he vulnerable on clay, would you say? If so, why?
ROGER FEDERER: I'm not sure. I mean, look, the guy is holding three Grand Slams right now. He has this incredible run still going on, so he's tough to beat on any surface. I don't know, you know, which surface I would prefer to play him on. Maybe grass?
I don't think I have played him on grass before. But, no, he's good overall, like all the top guys, really. I mean, there is no sort of surface preference anymore, even though I probably believe that hard courts is his number one surface overall.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Roger's interview after the Nadal match:

R. Federer - 17.03.2012
R. Federer b. R. Nadal 63 64

Q. Does this mean that you're back? Rafa said you played fantastic. What are your thoughts about this match?
ROGER FEDERER: Um, just very happy that a tough week like this gives me an opportunity to win the tournament. Really it's unbelievable that I never thought I would come so far.
It's been a great week so far, and it's another opportunity tomorrow to make it even more special. Obviously conditions were tough today, and against one of my greatest rivals, it's always nice if you come out on top.
So I'm very, very happy.

Q. Do you miss that time playing against him and playing these kind of matches and beating him?
ROGER FEDERER: Don't forget I beat him in London not that long ago, only three months ago. It's not like I haven't beat him in 10 years. (Laughter.)
Also in Australia I thought it was a great match we had against there each other, and I think also in Madrid we had a pretty close one. We haven't been playing maybe as often in the past, but when we do play each other we both usually play pretty well.
Tonight I think that was the case again.

Q. When you're playing as well as you are now, does that mean that conditions are not that important? You can play through anything, considering the wind and...
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I have been on tour for too long not to be able to play on some surface. I think I have proven myself on the surfaces for so many years. I used to win basically every tournament there was out there in North America there for a while.
World Tour Finals were in Houston back then with all the great players in '03, '04. I was able to win basically all of them in a short period of time. So I think just because you win a few indoor tournaments doesn't mean you can't play on clay or hard courts anymore.
Sometimes people think so much in the short term. It's a bit unfortunate. But, um, it's nice that I'm putting together a lot of wins in a row at the moment and just that I have shown also great reaction after the tough loss I had against Djokovic at the US Open, because that obviously hurt.
But I'm very happy with my game and happy that my body is holding up and mentally I'm still fresh, which is very surprising, so I'm very, very happy.

Q. Of all the experience you have had in your career, how interesting was the one where you're about to serve for the match and it starts raining, you have to sit there and wait for match point?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, look, it was tricky. I have had some, you know, some tough situations to handle in particular. It just actually did happen against Rafa at the Australian Open. I don't remember what happened, but...

Q. Fireworks.
ROGER FEDERER: There were the fireworks and I came back and couldn't play anymore. It was like unbelievable. Fireworks and rain are not the same thing, but it was an interruption, even though I didn't think of that too much.
I just hoped that I did have a chance to give it a go even if it was going to take 10 minutes. But I was just really hoping that we don't have to go off court, because that would have really been tough on the fans, too. That's what I was thinking about the most.
So it was tough, you know, but at the end, once match point was over, everything was short lived. It was, you know, one of those great moments that me and Rafa shared again, you know, after having already had so many great matches against each other.

Q. Especially the momentum from the previous point, which had probably been the best of the match, to play a point like that and then have to stop...
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, gave me a chance to recover and regroup. (Laughter.)
But, no, I agree. The momentum was tough, you know, and that's why I guess the 30 All point was so important for both of us. Didn't even realize during that point because I was doing so much hustling that actually the rain started to get more intense.
The match was over and I was recovering and looked down on the floor and there were so many rain drops, I was like, Okay, this is not going to work here. We have to wait it out real quick.
Yeah, so it was fine. I managed, which is good.

Q. When the match finally ended, what was it like? Was it just a sense of relief that it was actually over because of the conditions and things were getting so tight? What was that emotion like right at the very end?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, they would I guess they would have been different would I have won 3 and 2, you know, just close it out, straightforward, you know, no I didn't go, all that stuff.
But then he played a great game to come back into the match, and he played also a good game at 5 4. I knew it was going to be tough serving it out. Obviously there is a bit more relief on top of that with the wait, having to wait at 30 40. That was special in itself.
So I know how well I played tonight, so I'm just really pleased with my performance. That's how I felt at the end of the match.

Q. It hasn't been obviously that long since you played John at Davis Cup.
ROGER FEDERER: Yep.

Q. In this tournament you seem to get all the big guys, Raonic and Del Potro, as well. What kind of challenge do these gigantic players pose for you?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, look, I'm sure Djokovic answered tons of questions. I'm sure you drilled him. But, you know, there is sometimes only so much you can do against a player that serves that well.
You can go out of a match like this and feel you actually, you know, played well or great even sometimes, and that's how I felt at Davis Cup. I didn't feel I played that poorly just because obviously there is a lot in John's racquet.
It makes it tricky for him, too, against all the rest of the guys, or for that matter for all the other big guys too that they have close matches against a lot of the players. They rely so much on their serving, and that makes it tough for them to move up the rankings maybe potentially a bit faster.
Because everybody is a threat to them, as well, but John has definitely taken a right step in the right direction. I'm not surprised he's playing so well. He should have within in the finals in Paris Bercy last year when he had match points against Jo Willy Tsonga.
He had three match points, a couple of second serves. He ran around them, but he was a bit afraid to hit them, I guess, with the crowd being for Jo. That's what makes you do that stuff. Here in America he believes in it. That's why I expect a really difficult match against him.
It's nice seeing him do so well and entering the top 10 I guess at this point.

Q. You seemed to execute a pretty similar game plan to the one that you had in London where you hit a lot to his backhand and then opened up the court for a...
ROGER FEDERER: You're talking about Rafa now?

Q. Yeah, not John.
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, exactly. I was wondering. (Laughter.)

Q. Exactly. But then in the Australian Open again in the first set you seemed to be executing the same game plan and then it sort of went away from you. Can you compare what happened tonight to what happened in Australia, why the one plan worked and the second one didn't so much?
ROGER FEDERER: I haven't analyzed it that much, to be honest. I just know I had in it in my racquet in Australia in all the sets, and things just didn't work out for me.
I definitely didn't play as well in Australia as I played at the World Tour Finals and then here today. Conditions are obviously completely I wouldn't say different. It was an outdoor, hard court match.
But the winds, the coolness to it, is completely different. It makes Rafa also maybe not go for the corners that much. Same for me. You just play within the lines a bit more.
But, you know, I don't want to say I always try to play the same way, but Rafa has also a big say on how the points are being played, and I thought he played again great tennis in Australia.
He'll have another great season. There's no doubt about it. After not having played for a while, he's playing great tennis already. He'll be extremely tough to beat in Miami.

Q. In tennis there is always something to deal with. We have been talking about the fireworks, and today the wind and the odd delay at the very end. Talk about your ability to sort of think on yourself, to coach yourself on the fly. Is that a real strength, do you think, of your game?
ROGER FEDERER: To coach myself?

Q. Yeah, to just deal with what comes up in the moment.
ROGER FEDERER: Oh, well, I mean, I guess every player has to do that, right? We don't have coaching during the match, or we're not supposed to, anyways. I don't. I know that.
It's just, you know, something you learn from junior times is to be out there by yourself. I guess that's one of the reasons why I really enjoy tennis. You can get all of the input before the match, you there by yourself and you try to remember and try to adjust and actually be creative out there, because it doesn't always happen the way you think it will.
That's the beauty of our sport, I think, and obviously I've gotten the hang of it. For a number of years I also played without a coach, so I think that helped me out as well to get me to learn myself as a person, and I guess also myself as a player.
You know, out on court how is it to not having to always look up into the player box and be so dependent on where is my team sitting? How do they sit? What do they do? Do they look at me or not?
I couldn't care less. As long as they're happy watching me play, and I know they care about me before and after the match, that's what I care about.
They can sit there as relaxed as they want to be. So for me, that's what's important, is that I can rely on my strength and my mental ability to basically weather any storm, like, for instance, one there was tonight.

Q. Just following up on that, you have had some great wins against Rafa, but obviously some tough defeats. When you go out into a new match like tonight, are there any doubts walking on court, or you say, No, new match; my game is gonna work and if I execute I'll be fine?
ROGER FEDERER: No, I mean, I have had doubts in the past against Rafa. It's just normal, I guess. If you get destroyed like in the finals of Paris, next time you play him around, which for me unfortunately was the Wimbledon finals, that epic one we had, of course you'll be affected a little bit, even though now you are on your favorite surface potentially.
But it did take maybe potentially take me a set or two to shake that off, and then it cost me the match in the end. So sometimes I've gone into matches with Rafa where I knew it was gonna probably gonna be difficult at this point because either maybe he's coming in on an incredible hot streak or I'm coming in from an end where I know I probably shouldn't be winning this match tonight just because I'm not feeling right, my game is not up to par.
I've maybe come through some other matches against other players, but against Rafa it's a different story. So tonight I felt good about my game. I guess I had a no lose mentality. You know, I've not felt great this week. I didn't expect myself to play so well tonight, and this is sometimes when you can pull off the biggest wins of your career.
That's where I'm happy I gave myself a chance this week.

Q. You played John Isner first at the '07 US Open when he was a wildcard. He took a set off you pretty much off the serve. Now a month ago in Switzerland he beat you playing two consecutive return winners to end it. How much more dangerous and diverse has his weaponry gotten?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, he serves more consistently better for a longer time. Back at the US Open I remember his serve sort of started to fade a bit, but already there he showed some amazing serving and potentially shot making at times.
I will be interested to see how it goes tomorrow. Without taking anything away from John in Switzerland, the conditions were extremely tough for both of the players. It was altitude, it was a clay that was virtually unplayable. Every second bounce had a bad bounce in it.
At the end when he was up, whatever 5 2 in the fourth with a break in hand, what's the point of pushing the ball in?
He went for it and hit a couple of return winners. He had an amazing fourth set, but it was difficult conditions for us to play.
So tomorrow hopefully will be a bit more normal and I can answer your questions, because the only match I can look back to is the tough match at Davis Cup on indoor clay, which normally doesn't happen.
I know how difficult it's going to be tomorrow. John is playing great tennis at the moment, and I'm sure for a long period of time. It's great and exciting for American tennis, and I'm happy it's happening in the finals, this rematch for me. So I look forward to that a lot.

Q. What's the coldest condition you have ever played in?
ROGER FEDERER: Maybe Hamburg. I put even a long sleeve on then. But I don't know. I think it was indoors sort of they had like this tent over it against Gaudio potentially. I don't remember it.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Online ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
gr8 win for rog at the BNP paribas open !! :)) :))

hope he continues to play like this in miami too !!

Miami draw gets released this afternoon..:)

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Amazing 73-30 in finals now, go Roger!  :gleam:
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Amazing 73-30 in finals now, go Roger!  :gleam:

I forgot about that stat. I'm so glad Fed is showing why he was such a great player.

He didn't just fade away but instead showed why he is who he is.  :king:

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
I forgot about that stat. I'm so glad Fed is showing why he was such a great player.

He didn't just fade away but instead showed why he is who he is.  :king:

He's won 6 finals in a row that he's played in since losing 2011 RG final to Nadal. In fact, his career finals win % is now higher then Nadal's!  :king:
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
The winner of the last 2 Master Events?  - Federer! :))