Author Topic: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!  (Read 780549 times)

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Federer is Betterer!
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
I forgot about that stat. I'm so glad Fed is showing why he was such a great player.

He didn't just fade away but instead showed why he is who he is.  :king:

He's won 6 finals in a row that he's played in since losing 2011 RG final to Nadal. In fact, his career finals win % is now higher then Nadal's!  :king:

Nadal was the king of that stat but now Djokovic slapped Nadal 7  straight times and is damaging his records.

Fed's the best!!!  :king:   :gleam:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Nadal's interview after Roger's match:

March 17, 2012

Rafael Nadal

INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA

R. FEDERER/R. Nadal
6‑3, 6‑4

THE MODERATOR:  Questions, please.

Q.  Were the conditions as bad as they looked from up here?
RAFAEL NADAL:  Was the worst day, yeah.  The weather conditions, yeah, wasn't easy to play.  But it was a good match.  He played fantastic, and just congratulate him.

Q.  You've played plenty of matches in the wind, and you've done in the wind.  Was today different?  Maybe it was cold?  Did he do anything to surprise you?
RAFAEL NADAL:  No, I think he started the match playing more than unbelievable.  Me too.  Me too.  The beginning of the match, the wind was not there yet.  Just a little bit.
That makes the game possible for me.  I was able to play with some tactic.  I was feeling the ball great.  I felt that I'm ready to compete and ready to win the match.
But later start the crazy wind, and was very, very difficult for me to play with a clear tactic, no?  I lost court, I had more mistakes, and I think he played very aggressive.  He played fantastic.
His serve was with high percentage, and I wasn't able to play my usual tactic against him with that conditions.  He hit the balls, every one inside the court, and the weather conditions makes more difficult the topspin for me.
But, you know, here is a place that the ball have high bounces with the normal conditions, hot; but today was colder, the ball stays lower, and that's makes the match a little bit more comfortable for him, I believe.
So I tried.  Fighted until the last ball.  I lost against a player who played better than me this afternoon.  Congratulations.  That's all.  Keep fighting for me for next week.  Happy about the tournament.  Happy the way that I played the most of the tournament.
Not yesterday.  Not happy about the match of today than yesterday, more even if I had few important mistakes with the 4‑3 of the first set.  That was the only game that I am a little bit sad.
But for the rest, nothing.  Nothing to say.  No, he was better than me, and that's it.

Q.  Rafa, at 5‑2 when he was serving for the match, you broke him at 15‑40, and it seemed like all the aggression came back to you, that you were dominating the points.  Can you talk about that game and then whether you really thought that you were gonna get back into the match?
RAFAEL NADAL:  I fight every ball, even with 5‑2.  That's what I tried.  I know that's very, very difficult situation for me in that moment, but I have to try, and I did.
I hit a good return in the first point, and then I was lucky in a few points because playing against the wind.  But it's true, I played more aggressive than before.  That's help me a lot.  React too late.  I had to play more aggressive before with that conditions.  I understand what I had to do too late to win the‑‑ to have more chances to win the match.
With that conditions I cannot stay behind the baseline and waiting against hitting against his backhand, because the ball stays low and I don't create pain to him with my shots.  So that's why I was wrong when the wind start with my tactic.
I played more aggressive at the end and worked well.  Even I had few chances in the last game, too.  So playing well.  I had a mistake with forehand, but that's the way.  That's it.
I am happy about how I played the ball, how I touch the ball, the feeling of the ball.  I am happy about how I played, especially when the wind wasn't that crazy.
I am not happy of the game at 4‑3, but for the rest I am happy how I finished the match fighting and trying to find solutions.  I lost against a fantastic player, so accept and try to be ready for doubles match of tomorrow and ready for Miami.

Q.  How would you compare the wind today to other very windy conditions you've played in before?  It looked very extreme out there.
RAFAEL NADAL:  It was tough tonight.  I don't hate the wind, that's true.  For me is nothing really.  A lot of times worked well for me the wind, so the wind is not an excuse.
The excuse, the real excuse was he played better than me.  That's the best excuse that I can find, and that's it.  The game is simple.  I tried but wasn't enough, and that's all.  No more things.

Q.  Do you go to Miami happy of the way you're playing at the moment?  Do you feel like you can you play better?
RAFAEL NADAL:  Always I believe that I can play better.
But I am happy.  I stayed one month and a half almost outside of competition.  I came back winning a few comfortable matches in straight sets against not an easy opponent like Marcel Granollers.  I don't know against who I played first round.

Q.  Leonardo Mayer.
RAFAEL NADAL:  Leonardo Mayer, so then I played against‑‑ very distracted this tournament, no?  I always remember everything, and this time is, I don't know.
Dolgopolov.
RAFAEL NADAL:  Si, Dolgopolov is another one.  So that's the real thing.  I won a few matches very comfortable, three sets, and not suffering very much.  I played a bad match yesterday, that's all.  For the rest, I am practicing well and happy the way that I am playing.
I think I am doing things better than last year.  That's the important thing, a positive thing.  Today I lost, and that's it.  One have to win, one have to lose.  I lost today.

Q.  Looking ahead, Rafa, on the court, what would you consider a successful year this year for you?
RAFAEL NADAL:  The thing is not what I consider.  The thing is what the people consider a good year at the end, because seems like 2011 was a bad year for me, for you, for most of you.  (Smiling.)
I don't consider myself that good to consider the 2011 like a bad year, you know.  I am doing a good year playing finals in Australia and semifinals here, for me, for myself, is a very good start of the year.
But you never know.  You never know.  The feel is myself.  The results last year, in my opinion, was great results for me.  The feeling wasn't that great.  You know, I get tired of the competition few times, and that's a that's not the best feeling.
I am playing with energy.  I am here very happy to be here to compete against the best players of the world and to try my best every day in every practice, no?
So I gonna consider a good year if I keep playing the way that I am playing.  Even if I don't win something really important, I am happy.  And the most important thing at this moment of my career ‑ for sure the titles are important ‑ but what is more important is the feeling.
I feel happy today to be here, and I am enjoying the tour.  That's the most important thing, keep doing to this way.  That's the way to have success this year.  Play aggressive like I did the last few games and like I did the beginning of the match, that's the way.
I have to follow this way.  I did in Australia.  I did here for the most of the time.  I will try to keep doing in Miami a little bit better if it's possible and wait to have a good success.

Q.  Because of that rain delay, you and Roger had a long wait before you came out to start your match.  What did you do to pass the time?
RAFAEL NADAL:  Nothing.  I stayed in the locker room with the team.  I was in the player lounge for moments.  That's it.  Nothing.  Go to eat something before, but that's it.

Q.  Did you get a chance to watch the match before, Isner and Djokovic, and your thoughts about that?
RAFAEL NADAL:  I watch all the match.  John played great match and Djokovic played a good match, too.
Seems like at the beginning of the third John was tired, so that was the moment for Novak to have the break and win the match.  But John serve.  His serve worked fantastic when he was tired at the beginning of the third.
Against a player like Isner, you arrive to 4‑All at the third set and that's a lottery, no?  With this serve, anything can happen.
John played very well, very aggressive, without, you know‑‑ I felt that he wasn't scared about to win the match, no?  He did.  He played aggressive.  He did what he had to do to win the match.  He was the winner this afternoon.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Fed's IW highlights:

Roger Federer - TOP 20 POINTS Indian Wells 2012 - Nadal, Isner, Del Potro
&

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God

Those are some great highlights. Some of his shots especially on the backhand side are reminding me of his game back in 2005 and 2006. Thank you for posting Swish!!!

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God

Federer vs Raonic highlights:

ATP 2012 Indian Wells R3 Federer Vs Raonic Highlights [HD]

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God

Federer vs Delpo Highlights:

ATP 2012 Indian Wells QF Federer vs Del Potro Highlights [HD]

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God

Fed vs Rafa Highlights:

ATP 2012 Indian Wells SF Federer vs Nadal Highlights [Full HD]

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God

Fed vs Isner highlights:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXUSNYJqIrY

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God

Finals Ceremony:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNMxV5immM0

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
I only watched the first 3 minutes of the highlights but 2 things stood out immediately-

1.  Against the rally players Fed always had better position in the point.
2.  Because of this, he was moving extremely well.

Would be interesting to have a sampling of only points he lost for comparison.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Great highlights! :))

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!
« Reply #11572 on: March 25, 2012, 11:21:53 AM »
Glad Roger got by Harrison. Next up: Roddick! Go Roger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

R. FEDERER/R. Harrison

6 2, 7 6

An interview with:

RYAN HARRISON

Q.  Obviously against Roger you want to have it all going for you.  Did you look at the stat sheet?  Your service percentage was really...
 RYAN HARRISON:  Yeah, I think that's not as high as it could have been.  I think Roger, the way Roger can play and his returns definitely put you under more pressure.  You can't just roll it in.  You're kind of a little more forced to hit big spots.  So it's not easy.
 Yeah, I mean, could have definitely been higher.

Q.  Do you feel good about yourself the way you crept back into the second set and were right there to possibly push him?
 RYAN HARRISON:  I hate losing, so there's obviously some positives to take from it.  But I'm not ecstatic.  I'm not going to go celebrate right now.

Q.  You've played Roger before.  Today what was different?  What was more difficult?  Are you getting closer?
 RYAN HARRISON:  He played a lot better this time than whenever I played him last time.  Scoreline was similar, but the quality was a lot better.  So I think that's a good thing.  I think I did some things well, especially in the second set.  I started coming back.  5 6 service game was a tough service game in the second set, and I did well to keep it together.
 And then there was, you know, three or four points in the breaker that literally fractions just decided 'em.
 You know, the better you get   and obviously he's the best ever   so the better you get, the fractions start to lean your way a little more, and that's why he beat me.

Q.  What was your perspective on the point where the fan shouted out and Roger stopped playing?
 RYAN HARRISON:  I felt really bad, but it's ultimately the chair's call.  There's nothing really you can say.  I mean, obviously I want to win every point the right way and not because something happened, but that point was still pretty neutral.
 Unfortunately somebody interrupted play.  It was an unfortunate thing, but it's happened against me before and there's nothing you can do.  I think among the players it's almost an unwritten thing, where if you    ultimately the chair makes the decision and you go with the chair's decision.
 If I start    if I give him something and then something happens later in the match and he doesn't give it back to me, you know, you just don't play that game.
 So ultimately you just have to walk the chair.  I felt bad, but then you've got to keep playing.

Q.  What is your mentality when you play Roger?  Andy has played him like 23 times and it's been sort of a career frustration.  What is your mentality when you go into a match against a guy like that?
 RYAN HARRISON:  I go in trying to control things on my side of the court   against Roger or against anybody.  That's the way I play.  That's the way I'm always gonna play.

Q.  But I mean specifically you're playing one of the best players of all time...
 RYAN HARRISON:  I control my side of the court, and that's the way I play.

Q.  What specifically is he doing now better?  You said he was playing better this time.  Can you be more specific?
 RYAN HARRISON:  He, just from like a game standpoint, you can tell that he's hitting his shots with just like a complete conviction and confidence as opposed to    you know, there were some times last year whenever    he didn't look like he had the same authority on a shot that he had.
 I guess in our match I noticed that he shanked a few forehands, missed a few mid court forehands that    it was also a windy night match the time we played, so that could have definitely played into it.
 But you can tell.  I mean, coming off of his match, as many matches as he has this year, he's got this like authority about his game right now where he's hitting his shots knowing he's gonna make 'em.  It's gonna make it difficult for anyone to beat him.

Q.  Do you feel like you're getting closer to another breakthrough?  What separates you from the top 25, the top 10?  Or will you need to, you know, stagnate for a little while to get ahold on this and then have another breakthrough?
 RYAN HARRISON:  No, I mean, as a player you're always looking to win every match, and it starts one at a time.  So it's not something where, you know, if you get stuck for a month or two or however long it is, it's definitely not because    there's nobody that's ever been happy with being stuck unless you're at No. 1.  (Smiling.)
 That's the only time you'll ever be happy being stuck.  Every day you're gonna look to improve.  You're gonna approach every match   at least I am   with the expectation of winning.
 Just if you'd ask me going into this week, What's what's your expectation for the tournament, I'd say, I'm gonna try to win every match and do as well as I can and try to win the tournament.
 Didn't win this week, so I'm gonna look for it to happen next week.  That's the way I'm gonna approach things.

Q.  At this point, I don't think you care about like commiseration at the net, but can you share what Roger said to you at the net?
 RYAN HARRISON:  He said, Great match; great playing; great luck for the season.  I said, Thanks.  I said, Sorry about that call that was the break.  I said, It was very unfortunate.  He smiled and said, Good luck for the season.  That was it.

Q.  Can you talk about the game where you broke in the ninth game, 5 4, there?  What were you thinking right after that?  The crowd is excited.  That was a big break right there.
 RYAN HARRISON:  After I broke him or during the game I broke him?

Q.  Well, during and after.
 RYAN HARRISON:  During the game, I had been playing pretty close to the baseline and trying to step up.  That's usually the way I return, because that's    you know, that's where I'm comfortable, the most comfortable, I would say.
 I hadn't even had a look or even close to a break point.  So finally I was just like, Let's try something different.  I backed off a little bit and I was able to kind of give him a different look and was able to disrupt his rhythm just for a second, and I got the break I needed.
 And then obviously the crowd got into it, and I started    you know, I started getting a little more pep in my step.
 At that point, kind of evened out a little bit more.  He kind of edged me at the end.

Q.  (Question regarding the clay court season.)
 RYAN HARRISON:  Um, like ranking based or what do you mean?

Q.  Are you setting yourself a certain round that you want to get to in a Masters 1000?  Do you want to get to a certain ranking?
 RYAN HARRISON:  No, I mean, like I said   and I've said a few times   just I don't believe in setting a specific ranking goal or a specific round that you want to get to.
 Because let's say I would have chose, Let's get to the round of 16 here.  Okay?  Then I get to the round of 16, well am I going to go into the match expecting to lose?  What happens then?
 I just    you go to    you go through each match with the expectation of winning.  You can't overlook anybody because everybody can play.  I don't put a ranking based goal because the ranking will take care of itself if my game is improving.
 So ultimately what I'm gonna look to do is every day at practice, every day in a match, I'm gonna try and work on the things and incorporate the things that need to improve, whether it be higher first serve percentage today or being a little more aggressive with my forehand, looking to come in a little more, just different things that I need to improve on.
 Hopefully that gets me where I want to go, which is ultimately in contention for Grand Slams.  Obviously I've got a ways to go to get there, but that's the ultimate goal.

Q.  Did you execute today's game plan as you envisioned?  In hindsight is it too soon for you to tell yourself what you should have or could have done differently?
 RYAN HARRISON:  Well, I lost.  Obviously that's not how I envisioned it.

Q.  But sometimes we execute and yet the other person...
 RYAN HARRISON:  That's true.  I mean, obviously playing against somebody like Roger they're going to have things on their side of the court, too.
 I think it's pretty safe to say the second set was a lot tighter than the first set.  I did some things better in the second set than the first set.  He played a flawless first set.
 But there were some things as far as my balls landing a little too short.  I didn't really hit my spots the way I wanted to with the serve to put him in uncomfortable position.
 He's one of the best ever at blocking back and making a lot of returns.  You know, he doesn't miss returns just for no reason.  So it's forcing you to hit a lot of your spots and make 'em precise.  So that was something I did better in the second set, and that's why the only game I got broken was a long deuce ad game.  Other than that, it was a tiebreaker.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
March 25, 2012

R. FEDERER/R. Harrison

6 2, 7 6

An interview with:

ROGER FEDERER

Q.  What did you think of Ryan?  I guess he played a little better in the second set he was saying.  What were your impressions of him?
 ROGER FEDERER:  Well, I mean, I've played him before, so it's not the complete unknown.  But like I mentioned before the match, he'll make his move up the rankings.  He's got a great second serve, and I think a player once said, You're only as good as your second serve.  That's a great base for him.
 He's a good athlete.  I hope he stays healthy so he can show everyone what he's got.  You know, I think I played really well for most of the match really, and then at the end sort of derailed with some crazy stuff starting with, you know, that overhead miss at 15 All.
 The rest we know.  I felt like I had to win the match like three times at the end, so I was relieved to come through.  And, you know, beating against an American in America is always a big deal, because this is here where they usually play their very best.

Q.  Do you feel like the "out" call by the fan threw you off a little bit?
 ROGER FEDERER:  Just a little bit, yeah.  I didn't play the shot, so it completely threw me off.  I mean, it's the first time it's ever happened in my career.  I don't even know what to think about it, because I was like, That's it?  That's a break point?  This is how this is gonna happen?  Okay.
 I guess I'd like to make it a bit more difficult for my opponent, but I guess there's nothing I can do now.  I don't know what the rules are, how loud maybe an out call has to be for it be maybe potentially replayed.
 I mean, it was just messed up.  I should play the shot.  It's my mistake at the end of the day.  But it came from the direction of the linesman and it was loud enough for me to hear it clearly.
 I was looking for the linesman while the ball was coming over, and just at the very end I did see that she held both hands down saying that the ball was in.  I was just completely confused about the whole situation.

Q.  How long did it take to put that point behind you?
 ROGER FEDERER:  Well, what, 20 seconds until the umpire told me, There's nothing you can do about it.

Q.  No lingering effect then?
 ROGER FEDERER:  No.  I mean, I was already upset enough that I got down 15 40 the way I did, so I was more upset at that than the actual point.  It was a tough 10 minutes for me in that stretch, because I had other things happening after with the lines    the net cord he had at 15 30, and then    I mean, it was tough.  It was tricky then.

Q.  How were the conditions today?
 ROGER FEDERER:  The conditions were warm but nice.  Not much of a breeze, so easy to play and nice atmosphere.  So it was nice.

Q.  Ryan just said that he thinks you're hitting your shots with more authority than you were last year.  Would you agree with that?
 ROGER FEDERER:  Well, I guess I'm more confident now.  I have been playing really nice as of late, so obviously I'm, you know, gonna second guess myself a little bit less this time around.  When we played each other last year it was the first time I ever played against him.  There was a lot on the line.  There was a lot of hype around that match.
 So, yeah, I mean, I just think I played a better match this time around than I did last year, as well.

Q.  You talked before about how you liked having the opportunity to play players from different generations.  This year you have already had a chance to play Harrison, Raonic, Tomic.  How would compare them to each other having played all three?
 ROGER FEDERER:  Well, they're very different players.  I mean, Raonic and, I don't know, Tomic couldn't be more different, you know.
 And then Harrison, he's sort of a typical American hard court player, you know.
 So but they're all very different, which is great.  Seem to have different temperament.  Completely different playing styles, as well.
 Yeah, it's interesting.  I was thinking the same thing before the match, that now I'm playing these young guys more and more in the early rounds, which makes it tough, too, because some, you know, older players are, you know, getting pushed out of the rankings or they just don't want to do the traveling anymore and just have too much pain in the body.  Who knows what it is.
 It's nice seeing young guys coming through, and it would be nice to see in the future actually teenagers.  It is hard to make the breakthrough, it seems like, as a teenager right now.

Q.  Would you evaluate them at all?
 ROGER FEDERER:  Who is 1, 2, 3?

Q.  Yeah.
 ROGER FEDERER:  Not really.  I think you still need to give them a bit more time.  I think the rankings don't lie a whole lot.  You go with that.  I don't even know who's there.

Q.  It looked like the ball was going through the air very quickly.  What was your feeling?
 ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah.  I mean, I think it's a bit faster than Indian Wells potentially, even though center court seems a bit slower than the outside courts.
 So I didn't have to adjust too much, but it definitely feels a bit slower depending on how you play.  And, you know, especially when Ryan went all the way back it felt all of a sudden it's hard to put the ball away.  But that's always felt like this here in Miami.
 But I think it remains a hard court tournament at the end of the day, and if you do play well and smart offensively you can create fast conditions.  That's what I was able to do for most of the match.

Q.  Are you sending a message to a kid like that, Hey, the old guy is not ready to go yet?  And maybe talk about playing Andy for the next round.
 ROGER FEDERER:  No, not really.  Look, I like playing against young guys from time to time, but I just think that they'll have their moment in the sun for so many more years to come, and they already they have it now.
 I think it's just fun to match    sort of match up with against them, really.  Playing Andy always is special.  We have had so many big matches over the years.
 I think he played a really good match today, and he seems like    you know, it's gonna be a tough match in the next one.  He's beaten me here I think four years ago maybe and he's won a title here before.
 I think he's practiced, you know, a lot in Florida in the past, as well, I think.  He must like this climate.  He's played some of his best tennis over here.  I know the danger, and I hope I can live up to the expectations or to the head to head record and get another win against him.
 But we'll see how it goes.

Q.  When you have had so much success against someone like Andy   it's very lopsided with the numbers, anyway   do you still view him as somebody dangerous?  And why so?  What is it about his game?  What are you expecting from that match?
 ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I mean, doesn't matter if it's Juan Carlos Ferrero, Lleyton Hewitt, or Andy Roddick.  All these guys have been world No. 1 and been in the top 10 for so long and won big tournaments time and time again, proven their point.
 They'll always remain dangerous until they, you know, retire.  The head to head doesn't play a massive factor for me in every match I go in against Andy, because I know there's always a lot in Andy's racquet depending on how he serves.  And, you know, if I don't play well, I know I won't win.
 So the pressure is there.  That's what he can create with his game.  This is why I never take a match lightly against him.

Q.  Last week Mirka and the girls weren't feeling well.  I was wondering how they're feeling this week.  What do you do in the household where you're staying to keep yourself immune from the germ?  Do you play a role in the caregiving at all?
 ROGER FEDERER:  Well, everyone is better, first of all, so that's great.  Um, well, what do I do?  When they're sick I take care of them, yeah, like    and I take the germs and I give them cuddles and I try to make them feel better.
 If I get sick, as well, that's too bad, you know.  But I'm not gonna just sit on the balcony and look inside, you know, and feel bad for them.  (Smiling.)
 Things went by, you know, slowly, and I'm happy that everything is okay again now.

Q.  About these young players, when you won your first Wimbledon you were almost 22 years old.  How long do you think that it will take some of these players born in the '90s will have a Grand Slam title, be a real contender?  What will they have to do to win a Grand Slam?
 ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I don't know.  I think they just have to keep on working hard and hopefully things fall into place, you know, at the right time, you know, right place.
 I think they have potential obviously to win Grand Slams.  Right now it just feels difficult because you figure that, you know, there's gonna be    always feel there's at least two, if not three, maybe four guys in the quarters, at least semis, of the top guys are gonna be there.
 So you have to go through those guys, and we make it, I guess, very difficult mentally and physically to come through five matches, first of all, and then you've got to potentially beat us and you've got to beat us so early.  Then you'll fight off the Ferrers of the world, you know, and so forth.
 So I think it just makes it quite difficult at the moment for a young guy to come through maybe at a slam.  But then again, things can change very quickly in tennis.  We know that today I'm saying this right now, and then at the French or at Wimbledon all of a sudden a young guy has won the tournament.
 So anything is possible I think, and that's the beauty of our sport and about sports in general, as well.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

A. RODDICK/R. Federer

7 6, 1 6, 6 4

An interview with:

ROGER FEDERER

Q. Do you feel like you play bad service games today?
 ROGER FEDERER:  Bad service games?

Q.  Yes.
 ROGER FEDERER:  Um, maybe one.

Q.  The crucial one.
 ROGER FEDERER:  Well, in hindsight, yes.

Q.  Do you think that maybe you played, um, in terms of, um, having um    taking advantage of the break points that you had?  You broke three times in the second set, but early on in the third you had four chances to break and you failed to do that.
 ROGER FEDERER:   Yeah, I mean, you said it.  I had my chances.  I thought Andy did well to get the first, and then to put me in the situation I guess in the third.  You know, could have been up a break early in the third, but he did well also to fight off those break points.  Served really well.
 I think he had a good overhead.  You know, he played aggressive and clutch served when he had to.  It was his credit.  For me, it was obviously a tough loss.  The one service game where I got broken he really goes for it and it all works out.
 So credit to him to hang in there and give himself that chance in the beginning of the third.

Q.  You've played him more than anybody.  Can you talk about how his game tonight was different?  Looked more like the Andy Roddick of ten years ago instead of the last five in terms of how aggressive he was off the ground.
 ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, he was aggressive in one particular game.  That stands out obviously because it also paid off.  But, you know, he's still very good.  I hope you guys give him more credit than he's getting at the moment.
 I'm happy to see him play really well, you know.  He's a great champion, and, yeah, enjoy him while you have him.  It was a great night for him and America's tennis, I guess.
 For me it was tough, but I thought he had some very good moments, Andy had some really good moments, and it was a close match.  It was just, didn't go my way today.

Q.  (Indiscernible.)
ROGER FEDERER:  Seven games in a row?

Q.  He won seven games in a row.   
 ROGER FEDERER:  No, I mean, Love 40 I had my chances.  I don't think I saw a second serve.  Maybe I did.  I'm not sure.
 He did well, but obviously at that point I felt I was being the better man.  I had my regrets in the first set.  I didn't come out with a lot of energy.  I was pretty flat today.  I just felt tired, I guess.
 I have been playing so much.  It was more mental than physical thing.  I tried to push myself and gave myself a fighting chance, and then when things were under control, sort of   you know, he fought off those break point chances    and had the perfect game after that.
 So it was a big turn of events there in five minutes, and that's how tennis goes sometimes.  But like I said, give Andy a lot of credit to put me in that situation at 1 All, I guess, in the third set, because it could have been very different out there tonight.

Q.  Can you talk about the speed of the court and how that affected your game maybe?
 ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, regular hard court.  Pretty slow conditions.  You know, you saw where Andy was returning, so, yeah, I mean, overall it's a slow hard court, I guess.

Q.  How do you feel like the Penn balls played in these conditions for you tonight?
 ROGER FEDERER:  Um, same as last week.  We played the same ball over there; played some night session matches.

Q.  As for the fatigue, would you give it an origin or source?
 ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah.  Maybe 30 matches for the season.  Just feeling like it's taken its toll a bit, which is normal.
 But I've played more tired in the past, so this was not the most tired I have ever been, but you just start to feel it a bit.  I didn't just get the lucky break today that I got in Indian Wells.
 And, yeah, I mean, I regret missing those opportunities and giving myself maybe a chance for tomorrow.  Then you never know how things all of a sudden turn out in the tournament.
 Yeah, it is what it is tonight, and I'll deal with it the way I always have.

Q.  Do you think the result from the exhibition match at The Garden can ever play into the next match on tour?  Can an exhibition ever be a predictor of anything like that?
 ROGER FEDERER:  No.  For me, it has nothing to do with one another.

Q.  You have won the last 77 games against players out of the top 10.  Top 20, I'm sorry, not top 10.  Losing against Andy, does that feel like you are losing against not a top player?
 ROGER FEDERER:  No.  I feel like I lost against a former No. 1.  That's how it felt, not that I lost against a guy ranked 30 in the world.  That ranking is not real, so it was a tough second round.  I knew that in the start, and particularly here in Miami where I lost against him in the past.  So I was aware of that, and I didn't underestimate Andy at all.
 But that streak, I mean, it was a nice one to have, but not more than that.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
A nice excerpt from Roddick about Roger:

Q.  The crowd was roaring for you.  Were you aware of that?
 ANDY RODDICK:  I don't know how much    I don't know if it was all for me.  At 15 30 I feel like they got really loud when I was trying to serve it out.
 You know, as with any time you play Roger, he's developed such a fan base. And side story, I    you know, you're around guys a lot, but The Garden event that we did three weeks ago was the first time Roger and I spent an entire day together doing stuff.
 I'm amazed at the way he does every picture, every autograph.  You know, I know what I deal with on a small scale, and it's not what he does.
 So, you know, you start to have an understanding why people are so fanatical about him.  You know, I think the crowd anywhere cheers for him.
 And probably in the USA it would have pissed me off not too long ago, but I fully get it now after seeing the way he is and was three weeks ago.   You know, I didn't think I could be more impressed with him, but I was really impressed with the way he went about his business for those couple days up there.

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
A nice excerpt from Roddick about Roger:

Q.  The crowd was roaring for you.  Were you aware of that?
 ANDY RODDICK:  I don't know how much    I don't know if it was all for me.  At 15 30 I feel like they got really loud when I was trying to serve it out.
 You know, as with any time you play Roger, he's developed such a fan base. And side story, I    you know, you're around guys a lot, but The Garden event that we did three weeks ago was the first time Roger and I spent an entire day together doing stuff.
 I'm amazed at the way he does every picture, every autograph.  You know, I know what I deal with on a small scale, and it's not what he does.
 So, you know, you start to have an understanding why people are so fanatical about him.  You know, I think the crowd anywhere cheers for him.
 And probably in the USA it would have pissed me off not too long ago, but I fully get it now after seeing the way he is and was three weeks ago.   You know, I didn't think I could be more impressed with him, but I was really impressed with the way he went about his business for those couple days up there.

Seems Roddick has softened a wee bit with the passing of years.. Personally, Roddick is a very solid player and if an opponent is not match-ready, he will be made to pay, as Roger was yesterday!! Still, I am glad Roger has played so consistently over the last few months.. Can't wait for the European clay court jig to start..  :)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?

ROGER'S RECORDS TO STAND TEST OF TIME

Like Mozart and Michelangelo, Roger Federer’s body of work ranges from exceptional to sublime. The Swiss has set multiple records that will likely stand the test of time. Below we look at 10 of Federer’s most amazing feats and quantify [with totally unscientific methodology!] the chances of the achievements being matched or topped during his lifetime.

1. Winning five consecutive titles at two different Grand Slam tournaments

About The Feat: Since the abolition of the Challenge Round [when the defending champion was automatically placed in the following year’s final] Federer is one of just four players to win the same Grand Slam tournament five consecutive years. [Tilden six at the US Open 1920-25; Emerson five at the Australian Open 1963-67 and Borg five at Wimbledon 1978-81]. But Federer is the only player in history to win two different Grand Slam titles [Wimbledon 2003-07 and US Open 2004-08] for five consecutive years.

Chance of Feat Being Topped: 1%

2. Winning 16 Grand Slam titles in the span of 27 majors

About The Feat
: After going titleless in his first 16 Grand Slam tournaments, Federer has made up for lost time, winning 16 of his next 27. Beginning with his 2003 Wimbledon breakthrough, the Swiss has won more than 50 percent of the majors he has contested. In contrast, Pete Sampras won his 14 majors over a span of 45 Grand Slam tournaments.

Chance of Feat Being Topped: 2%

3. Reaching 18 of 19 consecutive Grand Slam finals between Wimbledon 2005 and Australian Open 2010

About The Feat: This record goes beyond consistency. It speaks to Federer’s unrivaled excellence at the pinnacle of the sport – the Grand Slams – and his ability to play his best under pressure and when it counts most. No other player has come even close to a streak of Grand Slam finals appearance like this – and no one likely ever will.

Chance of Feat Being Topped: 3%

4. Reaching 23 consecutive Grand slam semi-finals (or better) from Wimbledon 2004 to Australian Open 2010

About The Feat: To put this feat into context, Federer’s ongoing streak of contesting 23 consecutive Grand Slam semi-finals is more than double the length of Ivan Lendl’s 10 consecutive Grand Slam semi-finals reached – the next best streak. The last time Federer didn’t make the last four at a major was in 2004 at Roland Garros, when he was beaten by three-time champion Gustavo Kuerten in the third round.

Chance of Feat Being Topped: 3%

5. Winning 24 consecutive finals

About The Feat: In 2004 and 2005 Federer won 22 consecutive finals in which he appeared [in addition to winning his last two finals of 2003] for a streak of 24 straight finals won. That’s astonishing considering that Federer was going up against the second best player in each of those particular tournaments. In finals, you not only have to play well, you have to play clutch. Federer’s finals streak ended at the last event of 2005, the Tennis Masters Cup. Although he came into the tournament with an ankle injury, Federer led arch rival David Nalbandian two sets to love and later, in the fifth set, was two points from the title on his own serve before Nalbandian rallied to win a fifth-set tie-break. It was all down hill from there for Federer, who in 2006 lost in four finals (all against Rafael Nadal) and only won 12 titles

Chance of Feat Being Topped: 4%

6. Reaching all four Grand Slam finals in the same season three times

About The Feat: Only two singles players have ever reached all four Grand Slam finals in the same year: Rod Laver, who did it twice when he completed calendar-year Grand Slams in 1962 and 1968, and Federer, who did it a remarkable three times in the past four years. Considering also that Federer is the only man to reach all four Slam finals in the same year on three different surfaces (hard court, grass and clay), it seems even more unlikely that someone will top that feat in Federer’s lifetime.

Chance of Feat Being Topped: 4%

7. Three-year period of dominance

About The Feat
: Between 2004-2006 Federer went on a tear that is unlikely to be matched during any future three-year period, compiling a 247-15 match record. His season records during that time were 74-6 (2004), 81-4 (2005) and 92-5 (2006). He won a stunning 34 titles, including eight Grand Slams, nine ATP World Tour Masters 1000s and two Tennis Masters Cup titles. Had he served out the 2005 Tennis Masters Cup final against David Nalbandian [instead of losing in a fifth-set tie-break] Federer’s season record that year would have been 82-3, the same as John McEnroe’s unrivaled match record in 1984.

Chance of Feat Being Topped: 5%

8. Holding the No. 1 South African Airways ATP Ranking for 237 consecutive weeks

About The Feat
: Federer’s 237 consecutive weeks at No. 1 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings (from 2 February, 2004 to 17 August 2008) is best contextualised by looking at the next best streaks: Jimmy Connors at 160 weeks, Ivan Lendl at 157 weeks and Pete Sampras at 102 weeks. Federer, who has been No. 1 a total of 268 weeks (as of 1 February, 2010), is now within reach of Sampras’ all-time (non-consecutive) record of 286 weeks at No. 1. [Federer has five times finished as ATP World Tour Champion, just one year shy of Sampras’ six finishes as year-end No. 1. But Sampras finished No. 1 six consecutive years - a separate feat that Federer, now 28, is unlikely to ever match.]

Chance of Feat Being Topped: 7%

9. Sixty-five consecutive grass-court match wins

About The Feat
: Federer’s 65 straight wins on grass could so easily have ended at 39 when he saved four match points against Olivier Rochus in the Halle quarter-finals in 2006. But history shows that Federer scratched out a win and ultimately extended his record streak to 65 before he lost 9-7 in the fifth set to Rafael Nadal in the 2008 Wimbledon final. With modern-day grass-court tennis no longer favouring a dominant serve-volleyer like a Sampras, Becker or Edberg, it will be more difficult for one player to dominate on the surface and threaten Federer’s streak.

Chance of Feat Being Topped: 12%

10. Winning one Grand Slam title a year for eight consecutive years

About The Feat
: By winning the 2010 Australian Open in January. The Swiss has now won at least one Grand Slam title for eight consecutive years, equaling the record streak of Pete Sampras and Bjorn Borg. What are the chances that someone (other than Federer) will extend the record to nine or more seasons? It sounds a tough record to break, but Rafael Nadal is already riding a five-year streak. And despite his lapse at Roland Garros last year, the Spaniard is likely to be the leading contender for that title for many years to come, as well as at the Australian Open and Wimbledon, where he is a former champion.

Chance of Feat Being Topped: 25%

This was a nice post by tennis08 which hasn't posted for awhile.

Offline MassiveForehand

• Tennis Player
Guys! Please check out my tribute video to him! It took me a very long time to make, so please watch it  :))

The name's Federer, Roger Federer [HD]

Tell me what you think!

RF FOREVER! <3