Author Topic: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!  (Read 780644 times)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Re: Quotes on Roger Federer
« Reply #340 on: February 12, 2008, 12:45:48 AM »
I didn't really have anything to add here, but I had to post to keep this thread on the first page!  You didn't think I'd let it disappear - did you?! :rofl_2:

Well, just to add something... Have you all seen the 2nd Gillette commercial?  Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGX72GOjHC4

We still seem to be on the first commercial over here after watching that 2nd one, and its been shown so often over here but only was shown for the first time about a month ago, even though they did the advert and shoot over 12 months ago. Don't know why it took them so long to put it on our screens.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #341 on: February 13, 2008, 07:53:13 AM »
Fed in Stockholm return!!! :)

Reuters
World number one Roger Federer will play in October's Stockholm Open for the first time in eight years.
The Swiss five-time Wimbledon champion last played in the Swedish capital tournament as a teenager in 2000, losing to Andreas Vinciguerra in the second round.
Argentina's world number nine David Nalbandian, who boasts an 8-8 record against Federer, was also confirmed for the indoor tournament. :)
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #342 on: February 13, 2008, 09:01:12 AM »
Back to the quotes abot FED:

Chris Evert on Male Tennis GOAT

Although current men's world number one Roger Federer is yet to win a French Open title to boost his overall grand slam tally of 12, Evert brackets him among the three best players in history.

"Pete Sampras is already up there, along with Rod Laver, and I think you would have to put Roger Federer in there as well," she said.

"Those three would have to be the best ever and Pete never got really close to winning the French and Roger has so I would put Roger up there, definitely," added the American referring to Federer's two final appearances at Roland Garros.

..BTW: Quite a surprise he will be in Stockholm  :)) :)) IMO this is a sign he wants to assure his NO#1 position at the end of the year!!
"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" Roger Federer.

We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, we can only be wise with our own wisdom

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #343 on: February 13, 2008, 03:01:38 PM »

Although current men's world number one Roger Federer is yet to win a French Open title to boost his overall grand slam tally of 12, Evert brackets him among the three best players in history.

"Pete Sampras is already up there, along with Rod Laver, and I think you would have to put Roger Federer in there as well," she said.

"Those three would have to be the best ever and Pete never got really close to winning the French and Roger has so I would put Roger up there, definitely," added the American referring to Federer's two final appearances at Roland Garros.

..BTW: Quite a surprise he will be in Stockholm  :)) :)) IMO this is a sign he wants to assure his NO#1 position at the end of the year!!

What does that mean? Like he's playing more tournaments to gain free/cheap points? I guess its good practice and all but.. he should be able to hold up physically but does he really want to push it? I don't really know about Stockholm, is it worth it? Like big tournament enough with enough competetion?

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #344 on: February 13, 2008, 03:11:34 PM »

What does that mean? Like he's playing more tournaments to gain free/cheap points? I guess its good practice and all but.. he should be able to hold up physically but does he really want to push it? I don't really know about Stockholm, is it worth it? Like big tournament enough with enough competetion?

I don't like the idea of him playing Stockholm, he'd probably already have a stack full of points from his other 5 tournaments after the Grand Slams and Masters Series events, so this may not even have any affect on his ranking points. So now his calendar will look like this:
6th Oct- Stockholm
13th Oct- Madrid Masters
20th Oct- Basel
27th Oct- Paris Masters
Uhm 4 straight weeks hey, there's no chance whatsoever of him doing that, so why would he risk having to miss out on big points in one of the two Masters events, or not playing in front of his home crowd for the sake of playing a tournament in Stockholm? Strange choice this one, a little like the Estoril decision, although I can see a bit more benefit in that one for him, whereas with this one I see nothing.

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #345 on: February 13, 2008, 06:17:43 PM »
Roger only has points in the ranking from 16 tournaments.  That's low.  The others range fro 19-25 and up.  So adding one more tournament isn't a hugh change.  But, I will be surprised if he plays all of those tournaments 4 weeks in a row.  However, I do think he needs to play a little more.  He doesn't have hardly any points that he counts from the 'other' tournaments because he hasn't played a lot.  Look at this year alone - He's only played in ONE tournament so far and won't play again until Dubai... so adding one more tournament isn't a big deal to me.  But we will see...

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #346 on: February 13, 2008, 06:55:19 PM »
Roger only has points in the ranking from 16 tournaments.  That's low.  The others range fro 19-25 and up.  So adding one more tournament isn't a hugh change.  But, I will be surprised if he plays all of those tournaments 4 weeks in a row.  However, I do think he needs to play a little more.  He doesn't have hardly any points that he counts from the 'other' tournaments because he hasn't played a lot.  Look at this year alone - He's only played in ONE tournament so far and won't play again until Dubai... so adding one more tournament isn't a big deal to me.  But we will see...

its not mandatory to have at least 17 or somethign tournaments is it? I don't think he'll play all 4 weeks either. And of the ones he can skip the stockholm is probably the first to go since he likes Basel and the other three are AMS tournaments with lots of points on the line.
Come to think of it, he can make up so much points this year by doing well in any of Indian Wells, Miami, Rome, Paris, Madrid. Granted he has to make the finals of all GS but that's like a given task and clearly the biggest priority.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #347 on: February 15, 2008, 07:09:25 PM »
I don't have many friends on tour, apart from those I know from the juniors. And Roger Federer. He always makes the effort to say hello.”

~ Andy Murray

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Roger_Federer

Well.... there are some good things about Murray afterall! :innocent:

By the way, this is a very funny page! :rofl_2:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:11:36 PM by Dallas »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Re: Quotes/Articles and anything else about Roger Federer
« Reply #348 on: February 17, 2008, 04:22:09 PM »
I posted this in the Maria thread, but it fits here too (plus, I have to get this thread back on page 1) :rofl_2:  This is from "The Spoof"!

Maria Sharapova may have put an end to the recent controversy over whether Roger Federer is handsome or not. Currently on strike, Federer was maintaining his line that he would not go back on court until he was named most handsome male player on the circuit.

Events took a dramatic turn today however, when he was having a quiet drink with female tennis player and beauty, Maria Sharapova. Federer apparently brought up the subject about his looks and Sharapova was quick to say that she did not know why there was a debate. "Roger - I find you sexy" she is reported as saying.

Quick as a flash Federer reached for his mobile phone and contacted his agent. Within half an hour an impromptu press conference had been called at a local hotel - with a rather shaken Sharapova being paraded in front of the bemused hacks.

"I tell you today" said Federer" that Ms Sharapova - the most beautiful lady in the world - has said that I am very sexy. There it is. End of debate. No more speculation. I am sexy." He then grinned maniacally.

Maria Sharapova was asked by journalists if she thought Federer was the most handsome man on the circuit. Looking nervously at the world number one, who was staring wild eyed at her as he waited her reply, she offered a rather feeble: "Why sure."

This seemed to satisfy Federer who ran out of the room whooping with delightand shouting "Get me a racket - I'm back baby"

Pallid scotsman, Andy Murray, who Federer had panned for being too ugly commented later: "Federer may have got his way this time - but I will soon have a suntan and a decent haircut and then we will see who Maria really fancies".

The story above is a satire or parody. It is entirely fictitious.
If you fancy trying your hand at comedy spoof news writing, click here to join!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #349 on: February 18, 2008, 12:41:55 AM »
Back again hey Dallas  :)) Your man Roger must really love himself  :rofl_2:

Offline Flyer

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #350 on: February 18, 2008, 08:35:05 AM »
Heard Roger won the Laureus World Sportsman Award - for an unreal 4th consecutive year.

Any confirmation from others?

If fact - a hearty congradulations - well earned.

Offline LionShipper

• Tennis Player
« Reply #351 on: February 18, 2008, 09:10:08 AM »

It's a fact, flyer, confirmed by his official site.  :king:
Roger IS the king :king:, and I'll always follow the Federer Express. :first-place:

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #352 on: February 18, 2008, 09:30:33 AM »
For those who can read and understand Italian (I can  :rofl_2:..At least one small advantage: This language is useful only for the opera  and the pizza  :rofl_2:), an article on FED from the major sport newspaper there (La Gazzetta dello sport) (Main message: FED is GREAT in and out of court, humble and always nice with everyone):

"Semplice educato e attento ai particolari Il n. 1 del tennis firma un profumo e veste italiano Grazie ai consigli della compagna Mirka amante della nostra eleganza

Roger Federer è bello, di una bellezza naturale, unica, che parte dall'aspetto e dai modi eleganti, passa per i movimenti morbidi e sincronizzati, ed arriva alla distanza sempre perfetta che dev'esserci, nel tennis, fra occhio, braccio e corpo.

Mai nessun numero uno del tennis è stato così straordinario, in campo, come fuori, cioé disponibile con il pubblico e con i media; mai nessun altro terrà conferenze stampa in inglese, francese, tedesco e svizzero-italiano, o ripeterà tutta l'intervista per salvare una giovane giornalista radiofonica, tradita dalla registrazione; mai nessuno è stato più apprezzato come atleta, e come uomo, dagli avversari. E questo a prescindere dai trionfi, che sono tanti e straordinari, dai 12 Slam (a 2 tacche dal record di 14 di Pete Sampras), ai 5 Wimbledon vinti di fila (primato eguagliato di Bjorn Borg). E rapportano continuamente Federer coi i grandi del passato, protagonisti di un tennis più «noble art» e meno potenza.

SQUADRA «Roger-Express» è un ragazzo di una semplicità, e di una metodicità, disarmanti. La sua squadra è sempre la stessa, dal preparatore dei muscoli Pierre Paganini al fisioterapista Pavel Kovac, dalla fidanzata-manager-ex collega Mirka Vavrinec all'amico/compagno di doppio Yves Allegro, all'amico-tifoso-ex bancario Reto Staubli, al capitano di Davis, Severin Luhti: gente che lo segue nei tornei, ma anche nei momenti di relax, nella tranquilla Oberwill, in Svizzera (che è la tana del guerriero), come nella tranquillissima Dubai, negli Emirati Arabi Uniti (che è la base operativa degli allenamenti).

PASSIONI Orari, esercizi, compagni di fatica, luoghi: la routine del re, durante e fuori i tornei, non cambia di una virgola, sotto la regia di Mirka, l'ex collega, nata slovacca e naturalizzata svizzera, che ha conosciuto all'Olimpiade di Sydney nel 2000. Anche se la donna più importante della vita di Roger Federer è mamma Lynette (sudafricana), e i punti di riferimento sono gli idoli Michael Jordan, Michael Shumacher, Tiger Woods, del quale il campione svizzero è diventato talmente intimo da invitarlo in tribuna a New York, nella finale degli Us Open 2006.

CALCIO Grazie all'amicizia con Vittorio Selmi dell'Atp, il numero uno del tennis, tutte le settimane, dall'1 febbraio 2004, è invece in costante contatto sms con i calciatori preferiti, Totti, Buffon e Cannavaro, protagonisti di uno dei tanti sport che ama, insieme a sci, tennis-tavolo, cricket e football americano, come s'è visto al recente Superbowl a Phoenix, dove «Roger il magnifico» ha sfilato sul «red carpet» (il tappeto rosso) come le stelle alla cerimonia degli Oscar del cinema.

STIMOLI Mirka ha sicuramente stimolato Roger nella ricerca della perfezione anche nell'abbigliamento (Armani per lui, Prada per lei), e ha collaborato con il mega-sponsor Nike per la fattura della giacca bianca con le iniziali dorate RG, che Federer ha sfoggiato a Wimbledon 2006 con le 3 racchette a simboleggiare i 3 Championships, e che è stato poi replicato nel 2007, con 4 racchette. Così come ha messo sicuramente lo zampino nella borsa da gioco, personalizzata, che accompagna il re sull'erba più famosa dello sport, e gli ha suggerito l'essenza del profumo che porta il suo nome.

CAPRI Mirka ha stimolato Roger a interessarsi ad altri grandi protagonisti anche della musica, come Lenny Kravitz. Mentre non ha influito sui passatempi preferiti del Fenomeno: «Star seduto in riva al mare, giocare a carte o ai video-games, anche di tennis, contro Roddick o Nadal». E certamente non ha fatto fatica ad interessarlo all'Italia, cui Federer è legato dal ricordo delle vacanze da bambino con la famiglia («Sulle Alpi come al mare, al Sud») e dall'amore per la cucina, tanto che, subito dopo gli Us Open dell'anno scorso sono fuggiti entrambi a Capri.

L'Italia: contro di noi Federer ha fatto l'esordio in Davis (nel'99 a Neuchatel) e ha vinto il primo Atp Tour (a Milano 2001). L'Italia: la bellezza, come lui e il suo tennis."

« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 09:31:39 AM by TennisVeritas »
"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" Roger Federer.

We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, we can only be wise with our own wisdom

Offline Flyer

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #353 on: February 18, 2008, 09:51:48 AM »
For those who can read and understand Italian (I can  :rofl_2:..At least one small advantage: This language is useful only for the opera  and the pizza  :rofl_2:), an article on FED from the major sport newspaper there (La Gazzetta dello sport) (Main message: FED is GREAT in and out of court, humble and always nice with everyone):

"Semplice educato e attento ai particolari Il n. 1 del tennis firma un profumo e veste italiano Grazie ai consigli della compagna Mirka amante della nostra eleganza

Roger Federer è bello, di una bellezza naturale, unica, che parte dall'aspetto e dai modi eleganti, passa per i movimenti morbidi e sincronizzati, ed arriva alla distanza sempre perfetta che dev'esserci, nel tennis, fra occhio, braccio e corpo.

Mai nessun numero uno del tennis è stato così straordinario, in campo, come fuori, cioé disponibile con il pubblico e con i media; mai nessun altro terrà conferenze stampa in inglese, francese, tedesco e svizzero-italiano, o ripeterà tutta l'intervista per salvare una giovane giornalista radiofonica, tradita dalla registrazione; mai nessuno è stato più apprezzato come atleta, e come uomo, dagli avversari. E questo a prescindere dai trionfi, che sono tanti e straordinari, dai 12 Slam (a 2 tacche dal record di 14 di Pete Sampras), ai 5 Wimbledon vinti di fila (primato eguagliato di Bjorn Borg). E rapportano continuamente Federer coi i grandi del passato, protagonisti di un tennis più «noble art» e meno potenza.

SQUADRA «Roger-Express» è un ragazzo di una semplicità, e di una metodicità, disarmanti. La sua squadra è sempre la stessa, dal preparatore dei muscoli Pierre Paganini al fisioterapista Pavel Kovac, dalla fidanzata-manager-ex collega Mirka Vavrinec all'amico/compagno di doppio Yves Allegro, all'amico-tifoso-ex bancario Reto Staubli, al capitano di Davis, Severin Luhti: gente che lo segue nei tornei, ma anche nei momenti di relax, nella tranquilla Oberwill, in Svizzera (che è la tana del guerriero), come nella tranquillissima Dubai, negli Emirati Arabi Uniti (che è la base operativa degli allenamenti).

PASSIONI Orari, esercizi, compagni di fatica, luoghi: la routine del re, durante e fuori i tornei, non cambia di una virgola, sotto la regia di Mirka, l'ex collega, nata slovacca e naturalizzata svizzera, che ha conosciuto all'Olimpiade di Sydney nel 2000. Anche se la donna più importante della vita di Roger Federer è mamma Lynette (sudafricana), e i punti di riferimento sono gli idoli Michael Jordan, Michael Shumacher, Tiger Woods, del quale il campione svizzero è diventato talmente intimo da invitarlo in tribuna a New York, nella finale degli Us Open 2006.

CALCIO Grazie all'amicizia con Vittorio Selmi dell'Atp, il numero uno del tennis, tutte le settimane, dall'1 febbraio 2004, è invece in costante contatto sms con i calciatori preferiti, Totti, Buffon e Cannavaro, protagonisti di uno dei tanti sport che ama, insieme a sci, tennis-tavolo, cricket e football americano, come s'è visto al recente Superbowl a Phoenix, dove «Roger il magnifico» ha sfilato sul «red carpet» (il tappeto rosso) come le stelle alla cerimonia degli Oscar del cinema.

STIMOLI Mirka ha sicuramente stimolato Roger nella ricerca della perfezione anche nell'abbigliamento (Armani per lui, Prada per lei), e ha collaborato con il mega-sponsor Nike per la fattura della giacca bianca con le iniziali dorate RG, che Federer ha sfoggiato a Wimbledon 2006 con le 3 racchette a simboleggiare i 3 Championships, e che è stato poi replicato nel 2007, con 4 racchette. Così come ha messo sicuramente lo zampino nella borsa da gioco, personalizzata, che accompagna il re sull'erba più famosa dello sport, e gli ha suggerito l'essenza del profumo che porta il suo nome.

CAPRI Mirka ha stimolato Roger a interessarsi ad altri grandi protagonisti anche della musica, come Lenny Kravitz. Mentre non ha influito sui passatempi preferiti del Fenomeno: «Star seduto in riva al mare, giocare a carte o ai video-games, anche di tennis, contro Roddick o Nadal». E certamente non ha fatto fatica ad interessarlo all'Italia, cui Federer è legato dal ricordo delle vacanze da bambino con la famiglia («Sulle Alpi come al mare, al Sud») e dall'amore per la cucina, tanto che, subito dopo gli Us Open dell'anno scorso sono fuggiti entrambi a Capri.

L'Italia: contro di noi Federer ha fatto l'esordio in Davis (nel'99 a Neuchatel) e ha vinto il primo Atp Tour (a Milano 2001). L'Italia: la bellezza, come lui e il suo tennis."

Great - now a translation anyone?

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #354 on: February 18, 2008, 10:44:30 AM »

Great - now a translation anyone?

Ok I will try..Not sure about the outcome..Anyway :)~ :)~:

""Simple polite and attentive to details. The No 1 tennis signing a perfume and dress Italian. Thanks to the help of loving companion Mirka.

Roger Federer is beautiful, a natural beauty, unique, which leaves the appearance and elegant ways, through soft movements and synchronized, and arrives at the distance that must be always perfect, in tennis, including eye, arm and body .

Never a number one tennis has been so extraordinary in the field, such as outside, ie available with the public and media, nobody else ever held press conferences in English, French, German and Swiss-Italian, or repeated throughout the interview to save a young radio journalist, betrayed by the recording; nobody has been more appreciated as athlete, and as a man, by your opponents.

And that regardless of the triumphs, which are many and extraordinary, from 12 Slam (2 notches from the record of Pete Sampras 14), 5 won Wimbledon in a row (primacy of equalled Bjorn Borg). And Federer continuously relate with the Greats of the past, tennis players of a more "noble art" and less power.

TEAM-Express "Roger is a young man of simplicity, and a methodical, disarmanti. His team is always the same, the preparer of the muscles Pierre Paganini physiotherapist Pavel Kovac, the girlfriend-manager-former colleague Mirka Vavrinec to your companion double Yves Allegro, to a former-fan-banking Reto Staubli, Captain Davis, Severin Luhti: people who follows him in the tournament, but also in times of relaxation, in the quiet Oberwill, Switzerland (which is the lair of the warrior), as in the tranquil Dubai, the United Arab Emirates (which is the basis operational training).

PASSIONS Hours, exercises, fellow effort, places the routine king, and out during the tournament, does not change a comma, under the direction of Mirka, a former colleague and Slovak born now Swiss, who has met at the Summer Olympics in Sydney.

Although the woman more important in the life of Roger Federer is mom Lynette (South Africa), and the points of reference are the idols Michael Jordan, Michael Shumacher, Tiger Woods, which the Swiss champion has gotten from intimate invite him in the gallery in New York at the end of the Us Open 2006.

FOOTBALL Thanks to friendship with Vittorio Selmi dell'Atp, the number one male player, every week, from February 1 2004, is in constant contact with the players sms favorites, Totti, Buffon and Cannavaro, one of the protagonists of many who loves sports, along with skiing, table-tennis, cricket and football, as has been seen at the recent Superbowl in Phoenix, where "the magnificent" Roger has marched on the "red carpet" (the red carpet) as to the stars Oscar ceremony of cinema.

STIMULI Mirka Roger has certainly stimulated the search for perfection even in (for him Armani, Prada for her), and has collaborated with the mega-sponsor Nike for the invoice white jacket with gold initials RG, which has raised to Federer Wimbledon 2006 with 3 rackets to symbolize the 3 Championships, and that was replicated in 2007, with 4 rackets. As has certainly zampino in the bag game, custom, which accompanies the king on most popular sport, and suggested the essence of the perfume that bears his name.

CAPRI Mirka Roger has stimulated interest in other major players including music, as Lenny Kravitz. While not affected favorite pastimes phenomenon: "Star sitting on the seashore, playing cards or video games, tennis, against Roddick or Nadal. She certainly did not push FED to get intereted by Italy, where Federer is bound by memories of childhood vacations with the family ( "The Alps as the sea, in the South") and love for cooking, so much so that, immediately after the Us Open last year fled both in Capri.

The Italy: against us Federer made his debut in Davis (nel'99 at Neuchatel), and won the first Atp Tour (Milan 2001). The Italy: beauty, as he and his tennis. "

Offline Flyer

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #355 on: February 18, 2008, 02:52:41 PM »
TennisVeritas:

Thanks much

Article on Fed's Laureus win:

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,,-7318701,00.html

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #356 on: February 18, 2008, 03:02:23 PM »
Champ Federer upbeat on French Open chances
Mon 18 Feb, 08:02 PM

SAINT PETERSBURG, Russia, Feb 18, 2008 (AFP) - Roger Federer has scoffed at suggestions he is destined never to win the French Open despite having fallen at the last hurdle in the past two years.

The 26-year-old Swiss star lost to Spanish claycourt king Rafael Nadal in both the 2006 and 2007 finals and the Roland Garros title remains the only one missing from his career Grand Slam set.

Nadal will one again be the main obstacle come late May when the second Grand Slam tournament of the year gets underway in Paris, but Federer says he is hopeful of ending his losing run.

"The French Open obviously is one of the big goals for me," he said here Monday after being named as Laureus World Sportsman of the Year for a record fourth straight time.

"I hope it's not the one that is going to elude me. I am still young, I still have time on my side.

"Some people I hear them talking like its possibly my last chance this year and I disagree with this way of thinking because I think that great athletes can win Grand Slams all the way through to the last days of their tennis careers and for me I am going to try everything to win.

"I don't think I need luck. I am good good enough on clay. I grew up on clay and it's something that comes very naturally to me.

"Maybe I just need a favourable draw sometimes, maybe I just need that one set, that one match that is going to make me win the tournament because twice I was just two sets away from winning the tournament so you can't say I don't know how to play on clay. That's just absurd."

Since his stunning straight sets loss to young Serb Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals of the Australian Open last month, Federer said that he has not put in a single practice session and he will not play again until he competes in Dubai in early March.

But he insisted this was the right approach to take as he needed to save his energy and guard himself against tennis burn-out.

And despite the rapid ascension on Djokovic over the last 12 months he says that he still sees Nadal as his main rival.

"Right now I guess there are two with Djokovic winning the Australian Open but my biggest rival is Rafael Nadal.

"After all he is a great competitor and a great champion and already at his young age to have three Grand Slam titles it's an incredible achievement.

"He is definitely my number one rival."

Federer also revealed that winning Olympic gold in Bejing in August came high on his list of priorities for this year as he failed to do so at both Sydney in 2000 and Athens four years later.

"When I went to Sydney back in 2000 I was so excited, I was like a kid in a candy store," he said.

"I was sleeping in the village and all the other athletes were there. You wake up early in the morning and you had the boxers and all the different athletes - the sprinters and the wrestlers.

"It was one of those moments that every athlete should go through.

"Then in 2004 in Athens I carried the flag for Swizerland which was a very big honour for me leading the Swiss delegation into the Olympic stadium and that's one of the reasons the Olympics will always stay one of the big goals of my career."

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #357 on: February 18, 2008, 04:22:06 PM »
You guys might regret the fact that I've learned how to post images! :rofl_2: 

CONGRATULATIONS TO MY MAN FOR THE 4TH STRAIGHT YEAR WINNING THIS!!! (Oh, and Congratulations to Justine too).

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #358 on: February 18, 2008, 07:06:29 PM »
Thanks for posting the Fed article.

I'm surprised about his practice schedule but thinking about it now it makes sense.
The last year he seemed lacking the old intensity, a sign of burnout.
This time off will give him some perspective on things and his love for the game should start to motivate him again.
A good plan for him IMO.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #359 on: February 18, 2008, 07:21:55 PM »
Thanks for posting the Fed article.

I'm surprised about his practice schedule but thinking about it now it makes sense.
The last year he seemed lacking the old intensity, a sign of burnout.
This time off will give him some perspective on things and his love for the game should start to motivate him again.
A good plan for him IMO.

I think so too.  He needed some time away after the loss but now when he comes back - he's refreshed and ready (at least I hope so!) :rofl_2: