Author Topic: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!  (Read 805268 times)

Offline barbadosan

• Tennis God
Re: Quotes/Articles and anything else about Roger Federer
« Reply #380 on: February 27, 2008, 01:02:21 PM »
Picked this link up from MTF.. Roger in training in Dubai

http://www.eaglefustar.com/blog.html

barbadosan.. you have been charged guilty of scooter skimming. Dallas already posted this in the dubai thread and a few us have already read the whole thing.

:king: :uh:

Oh duh! My bad!

Offline xartiex

• Tennis God
« Reply #381 on: February 27, 2008, 02:31:05 PM »
Nice interview.

But I DO have one question to ask: Aren't we there yet? (Dubai - March 3rd! It's taking forever!)

barbadosan, I do agree with you. There's such a long stretch between the AO and Dubai, and it's about time we see Roger in action again!  :Sword Fight:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #382 on: February 27, 2008, 07:50:39 PM »
Here's the latest blog that was posted in the Dubai thread:

New to the blog!!!

WE HAVE A WILD CARD INTO QUALLIES!!!!!!!
We have a Wild Card!

As Roger walked onto the court today with a smile on his face, he announced proudly, "Michael McClooooney has a wild card in the quallies". 100% thanks to Roger, Roger's agent, and Michael's agent Olivier Van Lindonk. How you want to divide the 100% is debatable, but I would have to give most of the percentage points to Roger on this one.

Today was the day that we got back to business. Last night I got an unexpected call from Stanislas Wawrinka's coach asking me if Michael is interested in a hit at noon. I thought in my head "heck yeah, I'm interested in a hit with a top 30 guy", but I responded with "we're hitting with Roger at 3 so it'll have to be a light one".

We met Stan and his coach Dmitry (sp) out on the courts at 11:50am. I will now describe the workout that we had, which was organized around the fact that Stan flew in from Switzerland the night before. It was a 6 hour flight, but he was ready to roll.

The guys got a ton of rhythm hitting just down the middle of the court for about 25 minutes. They took a water break and each guy took volleys and overheads (15 minutes total). Then they engaged in some cross courts, but they didn't just hit cross. They played a high intensity cross court baseline game where the rule was that you can only hit a forehand. Many of our the Eagle Fustar junior players know this drill!

Then they went to the backhand side and played the same backhand cross game where you couldn't hit forehands.

Following that game, we mixed it up a bit and they played another backhand crosscourt game, only this time when one guy ran around to hit a forehand, it signaled that the point could be played full court. This way, by moving your feet well and getting in position to hit a forehand, you were rewarded with the fact that you were probably controlling the point.

Even in these cross court drills it's important to understand that footwork plays a key role although it's only a half court drill.

Another drink break ensued and the guys finished up with 3 pro style baseline games. A pro style baseline game is simply where one guy feeds, the other guy has to hit it crosscourt on the first ball. This way, the point is started in a more realistic manner, rather than dinking it back and forth down the middle for the first few shots. Also, this way, there is no "2 over rule". Everything counts in a pro style baseline game even if you miss the feed.

Michael continued hitting the ball great this morning and won 2 out of the 3 pro style baseline games. This completed our 1.5 hour hit with Stanislas. Him and his coach stayed on the court a bit longer to work on some more drilling.

After the hit, we stayed at the Medinat resort and treated ourselves to a full Asian buffet. The food ranged from all sorts of curry, sushi, various cuts of meat, and spicy potatoes Lets not forget about various desserts such as cheese cake and apple crumble. I love spicy food. Just recently, I made dinner back home and my wife could not finish her shrimp pasta. It was the spiciest thing I've ever tasted, loaded with spicy cilantro chutney and one or two green chili peppers (knowing me it was probably two). She was such a trooper.

The lunch for 2 cost over 100 bucks. There were no cheaper alternatives so we said let's do it!

FYI - Michael can't stand spicy food. We were in Louisiana for a future last year, where we were fortunate to get housing. Usually when you get housing, and this trip was no different, the host treats with some fine home cooking. I've never laughed so hard as I did when I saw Michael eating his food very politely in Baton Rouge. There were actual beads of sweat coming down his forehead. He genuinely needed a wristband. The lady cooked us fantastic crawfish dish, spicy of course, and I don't know if I enjoyed the food more or his pain. I told him later that that was his mental toughness training for the day.

With our stomachs fairly full and not so much time to digest, we hit the court with Roger at 3:00. We hit for a full 2.5 hrs and the boys did play a set. All I have to say is that I am not going to be in the pool tomorrow with the ladies, but it was close. Michael hung in there, but in all fairness to Roger, he got pushed pretty hard today before they played the set. He did some serious, lengthy 2 on 1's. I'm guessing he did over an hour of 2 on 1's and 2 on 1 simulations (Eagle Fustar term for one guy in a corner moving the other guy around).

I will be taking my foot off the pedal a bit for Michael's training now that I know he will be competing on Saturday. We will be hitting once with Roger tomorrow (Thursday), and then once with him again on Friday. The Friday hit will be at the tournament site and I'm very excited to check that out. We will also be switching hotels on that day. I am yet to decide what sort of physical work we will be doing to complement the hitting.

Italian place again for dinner. Pizza Napoli is the go to choice for me. Gotta love anchovies!

http://www.eaglefustar.com/blog.html

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #383 on: February 27, 2008, 09:06:10 PM »

That was awesome Dallas. Thank you for posting :)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #384 on: February 27, 2008, 09:36:17 PM »
"Sometimes Roger makes me wish I was a dog and he was a fire hydrant."

--anonymous    :whistle:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 10:22:37 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #385 on: February 27, 2008, 10:27:20 PM »

Too late... I read it before your "edit"! :rofl_2:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #386 on: February 27, 2008, 10:41:29 PM »

Too late... I read it before your "edit"! :rofl_2:

:rofl_2: too funny, I noticed that too but I was  :zipped:

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #387 on: February 28, 2008, 09:47:46 AM »

I know who this quote came from.  R. Kelly!   :rofl_2:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #388 on: February 28, 2008, 09:51:14 AM »

I know who this quote came from.  R. Kelly!   :rofl_2:

R. Kelly!!! Baaahhhh!!!!  :hysterical: 

« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 09:58:28 AM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #389 on: February 28, 2008, 10:39:13 PM »

Dallas, any new info about Fed???

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #390 on: February 28, 2008, 10:45:53 PM »

The "blog" site is down right now. (maybe too many people trying to access it).  So I don't have ethe latest entry.  I'll keep trying!

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #391 on: February 29, 2008, 01:10:14 AM »

The "blog" site is down right now. (maybe too many people trying to access it).  So I don't have ethe latest entry.  I'll keep trying!

Ok. Thanks Dallas.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #392 on: February 29, 2008, 09:30:12 PM »
Here is one for you Dallas and other Fed fans. Pat Cash about Federer. 
http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=tennis/08/02/26/manual_193336.html

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #393 on: February 29, 2008, 09:49:40 PM »
Thanks for posting Alex.
I noted that Pat mentioned that he thought the Illness may have affected Fed before the AO, which Chris Lewis also said he thought. That's 2 out of 2 very knowledgeable people famaliar with the game coming to the same conclusion.
His other thoughts about Fed and his game seem right on target.
We'll see. 

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #394 on: February 29, 2008, 09:51:42 PM »
Thanks for posting Alex.
I noted that Pat mentioned that he thought the Illness may have affected Fed before the AO, which Chris Lewis also said he thought. That's 2 out of 2 very knowledgeable people famaliar with the game coming to the same conclusion.
We'll see. 
We'll find out soon. We will know more after Dubai, IW and Miami. I'm so pumped up for these 3 tourneys. I can hardly wait.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #395 on: February 29, 2008, 09:53:10 PM »
Thanks for posting Alex.
We'll see. 
We'll find out soon. We will know more after Dubai, IW and Miami. I'm so pumped up for these 3 tourneys. I can hardly wait.

Same here, it should really be good!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #397 on: March 02, 2008, 01:09:16 PM »
Perhaps my first real contribution to this thread, I don't recall ever having submitted anything:

Quote from: tennis.com
...Among the variety of good tidbits Tony [Tony Godsick is one of the sport's uber agents, whose roster of clients includes the recently retired Monica Seles, Lindsay Davenport, and of course the big kahuna, Roger Federer.]... passed along was that Roger has been working particularly hard these past couple of weeks in Dubai. As most know by now, Federer owns a place here and actually spends more time in the UAE now than he does in his native Switzerland. Godsick said Roger lost some valuable preparation time with the stomach virus he carried into the Australian Open. He even said that his semifinal loss to eventual champ Novak Djokovic was, under the circumstances, an excellent result.

But Godsick really tickled my ear when he mentioned a commercial shift in Federer's activities. It sounded like Team Federer feels like the Swiss has maxed out his earning potential in the USA - and not without chagrin. They are now focusing their marketing, sponsorship and brand-building efforts on the Middle East and Asia, where Federer's status is closer to deity than Rodney Dangerfield. Federer, in fact, spent seven hours filming a new spot in Dubai for a soon-to-be announced partnership aimed specifically at China. As Godsick said, "Roger can't get any bigger in America. I mean, he's won four U.S. Opens in a row!" True dat.

And speaking of deals, Tiger Woods - who is designing his first-ever signature golf course in a themed, Orlando-type mega development called Dubailand (now there's a name that should make you run and hide) - isn't the only IMG mega-star looking into leaving a larger foothold in Dubai (hint hint). Godsick briefly touched on the upcoming Federer-Sampras exhibition at Madison Square Garden, too. He wouldn't give me any hard figures on how much his client will pull down, but I'm guessing that the Roger is ka-ching ka-chinging a high-six figure or even seven- figure fee. Surely players like Federer must wonder: Why slog through a fortnight against top players gunning for your backside - not to mention the boring downtime, tedious press conferences and mental strain - when you can slip in and out of the Big Apple with that kind of change for a night's work?

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2008/02/dubai-out-of-si.html

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #398 on: March 02, 2008, 01:29:16 PM »
Thanks for all the articles.  My internet connection has been down since Thursday and boy, did I miss it!!! I missed you guys!1 :(

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #399 on: March 02, 2008, 01:53:31 PM »
Some pictures of Roger from Dubai!

Federer rested, ready for Dubai Tennis Championships

The Associated Press
Sunday, March 2, 2008
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates: Roger Federer is rested and ready to resume his season at the Dubai Tennis Championships this week.

The 12-time Grand Slam winner, who lost in the semifinals of the Australian Open, will get back on the court Monday to face Andy Murray in the first round of the tournament he has won in four of the past five years.

It will be Federer's first competitive match since Melbourne.

"I am feeling mentally and physically refreshed and I think (taking a break) was a good decision," said Federer, who has a home in Dubai.

Federer, who withdrew from an Australian Open warm-up event because of illness, again said he was over the disappointment of losing to eventual champion Novak Djokovic.

"It must have taken me a maximum of two hours to get over the loss," Federer said. "Considering the virus that I had before the tournament and how it hampered my preparation, I wasn't too disappointed.

"But what is more important is that I am feeling much better now than I was ever feeling at the Australian Open. So, after struggling a bit there, I am just happy and excited to be back on the court healthy."

His next opponent will be the 12th-ranked Murray, who is 1-1 against Federer and won their last match in Cincinnati in 2006.

"I always expect a tough draw in Dubai because of the quality of the field this tournament attracts," Federer said. "It should be very interesting because I have only played two tournaments in the last four months or so, and he has already won two tournaments this season."

The Briton won in Doha, Qatar, and Marseille, France.

"I just need to believe that I can beat him," Murray said. "I know it is going to be a very tough match, but I think I need a match like this to find out where I stand against the top player in the world."

Rafael Nadal, the 2006 Dubai champion, is ready for another title.

"I am confident of doing well here," the Spaniard said. "I am happy to be the No. 2 in the world behind perhaps the greatest player of all time.

"I am working hard to close the gap against Federer. I have plenty of points to defend from now to the French Open, but I have done so every year for the last three years, and I am sure I can do it again."

----------------------
And here's an interview with Roger (although it's in Swiss German) :\

http://helix-v4.sri.ch/ramgen/sfdrs/vod/lebenlive/2007/12/450k/lebenlive_20071228.rm?start=12:36&end=20:05

« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 01:54:24 PM by Dallas »