Author Topic: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!  (Read 830484 times)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
Re: Quotes/Articles and anything else about Roger Federer
« Reply #400 on: March 02, 2008, 01:59:22 PM »
I'm just back from New York City. The place is getting very excited about the Federer Sampras match on March 10. Pictures all around the Garden.  You'd think Pete was still number 1 American!  ..-)

This was in the NY Times this morning.

--------------------------------------------

They Cannot be Serious!
By RALPH GARDNER JR.
Published: March 2, 2008

Don’t tell tennis fans that the March 10 “NetJets Showdown” between Roger Federer and Pete Sampras is just a friendly exhibition. Nineteen thousand tickets have been sold. The excitement stems from the belief that Sampras may really make it a match. Retired five years, he is a still-robust 36, roughly the same age Andre Agassi was when he pushed Federer to four sets in a U.S. Open final. And then there’s that serve. As Federer, 26, has said of Sampras: “You can wake him up at 2 in the morning and he’ll hit a monster serve.” Rare, if not unprecedented, is the opportunity to watch champions from different eras — perhaps the two greatest of all time — take a whack at each other. A few thoughts on Sampras’s attempt at the nearly impossible.

DON’T KNOCK THE VENUE
Madison Square Garden doesn’t exactly seem like an intimate arena for tennis. But it is — at least compared to Arthur Ashe Stadium, home of the U.S. Open final. The Garden’s stratospheric cheap seats are actually closer to the court than Arthur Ashe’s: 202 feet versus 230 feet to the farthest row. And the view is much less vertiginous — you’re hovering about 65 feet over the action at the Garden, compared with 108 feet at Ashe, where fans have been known to feel as if they were trying to eavesdrop from outer space.

WHO’S THE GREATEST?
Sampras and Federer met only once professionally, in the Round of 16 at Wimbledon in 2001. Federer prevailed, 7-6, 5-7, 6-4, 6-7, 7-5, perhaps hastening Sampras’s decision to hang up his Nikes. Sampras, who retired two years later at age 32, remains the most successful player in history, having won 14 majors to Federer’s 12 — though the latter was two years younger when he reached that number. Sampras holds 64 tournament titles to Federer’s 53, but the Swiss has a higher overall winning percentage — 80 percent versus 77 percent. Sampras still holds the record for most weeks at No. 1: 286. But Federer claims the most consecutive weeks on top — 213 and counting.

THEY HAVE HISTORY
Sampras and Federer played three exhibition matches last November. Sampras lost the first match, in Seoul, 6-4, 6-3. He improved but came up short again in Kuala Lumpur, 7-6, 7-6. The third time, in Macau, he took Federer 7-6, 6-4. There were suspicions that Federer threw Sampras a bone, though both deny it. An impressed Federer recently described Sampras’s talent as “intimidating, because he reminded me so much of myself.” Was that sincerity or the sound of a drumstick whistling through the air?

DO THEY REALLY CARE?
Both players are out to entertain, but if the score is tied — say, 3-3 in the third set — all bets are off. Nonetheless, don’t expect either to dive into the flower beds to save a break point. Nick Bollettieri, tennis coach extraordinaire, has no doubt they’ll both play hard — that’s what made them great champions — but he suggests a way to make things really interesting: “I’d like to see these guys put up $5 million of their own money, and [NetJets] put up $10 million, and the winner takes $20 million. Then you’d see something.”

A WEAKNESS?
Sampras acknowledged that Asia’s fast courts worked to his advantage. But Federer made an interesting admission,
too, according to Peter Bodo, co-author of Sampras’s autobiography: he told Sampras it was hard to play a serve-and-volleyer, because he faces one so rarely. Why? Because they’re a dying breed. Players who approach the net do so at their own peril. Ivan Lendl, a former champ and a promoter of the Garden event, says that today’s steroidal strings give the ball “tremendous topspin. You’re at the net and the ball is still dipping a lot. It’s very difficult to volley.”

AN EVEN PLAYING FIELD
The court will be medium-fast: quick enough for Sampras to detonate his serve but leisurely enough for Federer to perform his trademark magic. “Pete wants the points short and snappy,” the tennis announcer Mary Carillo says. “The longer a point goes, the more it’s going to favor Federer.” Justin Gimelstob, Sampras’s practice partner, says Federer told him he “didn’t feel like he could read Sampras’s serve. He doesn’t face a lot of players that can attack like Pete can.”

Offline Flyer

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #401 on: March 02, 2008, 08:51:10 PM »
Will be attending the expo - just wish I could have gotten better seats!!!

Here's hoping Federer comes in fresh after winning the Dubai title and takes the expo without a great deal of effort - then wings it across counrty to IW for another win & 500 points...

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #402 on: March 02, 2008, 09:01:34 PM »
Should be fun, flyer. It's a great chance to see Pete!
Fed seems to be cutting it a bit fine with his air travel if he does in fact go to the final in Dubai. I expect he will still be in pretty good physical shape, however.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #403 on: March 02, 2008, 09:04:56 PM »
this has gotta be telvised. hopefully on espn2 here. i'd have loved to go.

thanks for the article euroka, interesting stuff.  :)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #404 on: March 02, 2008, 10:16:33 PM »
this has gotta be telvised. hopefully on espn2 here. i'd have loved to go.

thanks for the article euroka, interesting stuff.  :)

The tennis channel is broadcasting the event between Roger and Pete (live)!

The problem... I'll be on a plane to Washington, DC Sunday so I'll miss it! :(  I'll have to set my dvr to record it.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #405 on: March 02, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
Some pictures of Roger from Dubai!

Federer rested, ready for Dubai Tennis Championships

The Associated Press
Sunday, March 2, 2008
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates: Roger Federer is rested and ready to resume his season at the Dubai Tennis Championships this week.

The 12-time Grand Slam winner, who lost in the semifinals of the Australian Open, will get back on the court Monday to face Andy Murray in the first round of the tournament he has won in four of the past five years.

It will be Federer's first competitive match since Melbourne.

"I am feeling mentally and physically refreshed and I think (taking a break) was a good decision," said Federer, who has a home in Dubai.

Federer, who withdrew from an Australian Open warm-up event because of illness, again said he was over the disappointment of losing to eventual champion Novak Djokovic.

"It must have taken me a maximum of two hours to get over the loss," Federer said. "Considering the virus that I had before the tournament and how it hampered my preparation, I wasn't too disappointed.

"But what is more important is that I am feeling much better now than I was ever feeling at the Australian Open. So, after struggling a bit there, I am just happy and excited to be back on the court healthy."

His next opponent will be the 12th-ranked Murray, who is 1-1 against Federer and won their last match in Cincinnati in 2006.

"I always expect a tough draw in Dubai because of the quality of the field this tournament attracts," Federer said. "It should be very interesting because I have only played two tournaments in the last four months or so, and he has already won two tournaments this season."

The Briton won in Doha, Qatar, and Marseille, France.

"I just need to believe that I can beat him," Murray said. "I know it is going to be a very tough match, but I think I need a match like this to find out where I stand against the top player in the world."

Rafael Nadal, the 2006 Dubai champion, is ready for another title.

"I am confident of doing well here," the Spaniard said. "I am happy to be the No. 2 in the world behind perhaps the greatest player of all time.

"I am working hard to close the gap against Federer. I have plenty of points to defend from now to the French Open, but I have done so every year for the last three years, and I am sure I can do it again."

----------------------
And here's an interview with Roger (although it's in Swiss German) :\

http://helix-v4.sri.ch/ramgen/sfdrs/vod/lebenlive/2007/12/450k/lebenlive_20071228.rm?start=12:36&end=20:05

there goes another "happy to be #2 behind the greatest in history". no wonder Fed does not fear Nadal anymore.

i am counting. that was like 100,000th time he has said that in public.

Offline Victor

• Tennis God
« Reply #406 on: March 03, 2008, 11:08:45 AM »
Where is federer?
Dont fight about tennis, support tennis.

I just didn't think I would be seeing a clay court tournament where Roddick is still in it and Nadal is out.   -   Dallas -  31 May, RG 2009

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #407 on: March 03, 2008, 12:27:56 PM »
Where is federer?

(Where is federer?)
Hi Victor on his way home for a change :whistle:

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #408 on: March 03, 2008, 12:51:57 PM »
Where is federer?

making dinner plans and looking for practice partners afterwards.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #409 on: March 03, 2008, 06:53:09 PM »
Where is federer?

(Where is federer?)
Hi Victor on his way home for a change :whistle:

At least he doesn't have far to go.
Sampras had better beware this coming Monday. Federer will be fresh, and looking for blood.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #410 on: March 03, 2008, 07:00:06 PM »
Where is federer?

I see we have a lot of comedians on board, huh! :Sword Fight:

That's ok... You guys can rub it in when he loses because I still think he's going to come back strong! ://

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #411 on: March 03, 2008, 10:47:43 PM »
Where is federer?

That's ok... You guys can rub it in when he loses because I still think he's going to come back strong! ://

we know who'll have the final laugh when he finishes with 3 GS again this year - a more significant 3 GS at that!  ;-()

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #412 on: March 04, 2008, 12:22:42 AM »
Where is federer?

we know who'll have the final laugh when he finishes with 3 GS again this year - a more significant 3 GS at that!  ;-()

i was not laughing. i have plenty of worries about my own players that i follow. they never seem to improve.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 01:02:07 PM by hercules »

Offline Fedsuperfan

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #413 on: March 04, 2008, 08:35:18 AM »
Roger has been in a downslide. His comment about Murray's play irritates me as well. However, I hope he prepare/play better in the next tourney.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #414 on: March 04, 2008, 12:22:54 PM »
Right I'll brace myself to be hit my a barrage from Fed fans but I don't want to sound as if I'm getting right at Fed here but:
I felt the comments about Murray from him with regards to his game not improving and not being able to win anything big if he carries on waiting for mistakes from opponents, as needless and just came across to many as sour grapes. If he's just beaten Fed then he must be doing something right and if not then god help Fed right now.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #415 on: March 04, 2008, 07:16:25 PM »
Right I'll brace myself to be hit my a barrage from Fed fans but I don't want to sound as if I'm getting right at Fed here but:
I felt the comments about Murray from him with regards to his game not improving and not being able to win anything big if he carries on waiting for mistakes from opponents, as needless and just came across to many as sour grapes. If he's just beaten Fed then he must be doing something right and if not then god help Fed right now.

He needs some help. I can't figure out why he didn't know his game was rusty.
The top players have to know thier games status and correct it.  :confused1:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #416 on: March 04, 2008, 09:22:40 PM »

No worries... everyone is entitled to their own opinions! ;-()  Hopefully everyone here can make their opinions without fearing "a barrage" against it.  It's cool.... :gleam:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #417 on: March 05, 2008, 12:46:41 AM »

No worries... everyone is entitled to their own opinions! ;-()  Hopefully everyone here can make their opinions without fearing "a barrage" against it.  It's cool.... :gleam:

lol I knew you'd be fine with it Dallas  :) As you know I quite like Fed and just have total admiration for him, just feel the comments he comes out with now and again are a little tasteless. Maybe I was thinking back over 2 years ago and the reaction I'd have drawn if I'd said that about a Williams Sister  :))
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline backhand_finish

• Tennis Player
« Reply #418 on: March 05, 2008, 06:47:07 AM »
erm, well federer need some help giving those losing speeches doesn't he?  :zipped: but guess he doesn't get to practise those much so it actually sounds crude. if you saw him at the press conference at the AO, he actually looked peeved at some of the questions thrown at him.

" So do you think he can go all they way? " (about djokovic after he beat federer)
" I don't really care."

classic. everyone i know in recent times always say things like, " he'll definitely be up there challenging" or something like " why not? he's got the skills..". well,   hopefully he doesn't lose that no.1 ranking after dubai. he's still gto indian wells and miami to look forward to.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #419 on: March 05, 2008, 07:49:09 AM »
Roger is a great tennis player we all know that,his words after Andys win were a bit harsh.Andy served out of this world in that match,Roger should have given a bit more credit for that.Roger is a pro like all other pros,so he should not blame that on from.Roger knew there would be the best field that thay have had here.As Chris says sour grapes a bit here.pawan as good as Roger is i dont think 3 GS again this year,clay RG i dont think Roger will win.Also there"s the other slams what are not give me"s like in the past.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 07:51:46 AM by sid »