Author Topic: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!  (Read 824101 times)

Offline backhand_finish

• Tennis Player
Re: Quotes/Articles and anything else about Roger Federer
« Reply #420 on: March 05, 2008, 10:25:43 AM »
federer is an amazing champion. he has enough style to satisfy those fans who are into 'panache', enough steel for the grinders and serve volley for old times sake. well, there might be a chance he wouldn't break pete's record now, the way he's playing. but im rooting for this fella. can you imagine another? imagine if nadal had been world no.1  :zipped: (i just don't really like grinders, sorry). well, i guess no one can beat me, no? i have big biceps, no?
i mean the rest of the field just doesn't have the style and that look of invincibility about them compared to federer. even off the courts. the fella brought a new meaning to champion...

No?

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #421 on: March 05, 2008, 11:15:16 AM »
Wimbledon - Borg wants to see Fed break record
Eurosport - Wed, 05 Mar 14:15:00 2008
EXCLUSIVE! Björn Borg says he is looking forward to the possibility that Roger Federer will break his record of five straight Wimbledon titles at this year's All England Club.

"We have won five straight Wimbledon titles each so if he took a sixth victory it would feel great," the Swedish legend told eurosport.se. "I will come and see him play in London [this summer]."

"I am happy for Roger's success, in London or anywhere else. He's a great guy and a fantastic player."

Borg also said that he was pleased to see Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic and three-time defending French Open champion Rafael Nadal contest for Grand Slams and the world number one ranking.

"Federer is definitely one of [the greatest of all time]. But I also think that it's good for the sport that there are currently three top players."

Borg is entering his last year on the Tour of Champions and says he wouldn't mind working more actively for Swedish tennis in the future.

"Up until now it hasn't fitted into my schedule but this sport truly is my passion," Borg said.

"Sweden has produced a great number of good players for many years so we have simply become spoiled. We're now suffering a setback but I don't think it will last for long. We need to be patient and give our young talents time to improve and develop in their own speed. The clubs' hard work will pay off in three, four or five years.

"Tennis today is much different than in my days. Today you have to promote the sport and reach out to young kids on the Swedish countryside. To find talents as early as possible is also important of course."

Borg says he sees a lot of potential in 23-year-old Robin Söderling, who has started the season brilliantly with a quarter-finals showing in Marseille and successive finals appearances in Rotterdam and Memphis.

"I see a lot of potential in Robin Söderling and I think he could make it to the top ten in the near future," Borg said.

"I watched the final in Memphis and I think that he is a much better player today than a year ago, so his time off due to injury did him well in that sense. I'm hopeful for the future and I think that he will do well.

"I have to believe that we will see a Swedish major champion again, but like I said, we need to be patient. It will come."

Though he has no plans to take on an individual coaching role with any players, saying "it's not my thing," Borg does hope to have some involvement on a national level in the near future.

"I definitely want to work for Swedish tennis again, my schedule has been very busy lately but I would like to give back as much as possible, I just don't know exactly how yet and under which circumstances."
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline lizbeth

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #422 on: March 05, 2008, 02:42:24 PM »
Well said, Backhand Finish.  I agree with you completely about Roger.  I hope he gets back on track soon.
Something I haven't seen addressed about Fed is his practices.  Who on earth can he find to practice with who will be like the Nadals and Djokovics? If you're the best, everybody you practice with is going to be inferior to you, so you're never pushed in the way you will be in a match.  I think it's amazing he does as well as he does with nobody on his level to practice with.  Can you imagine hitting with Tony Roche and Mirka (last year) and than having to go out and face the world's best (besides you) sometimes in first rounds, with no way to work your way into the tournament if you happen to lose right away to a red-hot opponent (i.e. Murray in Dubai)?
Who is Fed going to practice with between now and his exo with Sampras in NYC?  Sampras???

If anybody can shed any light on this, I would be glad to hear your ideas.

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #423 on: March 05, 2008, 05:46:48 PM »
Right I'll brace myself to be hit my a barrage from Fed fans but I don't want to sound as if I'm getting right at Fed here but:
I felt the comments about Murray from him with regards to his game not improving and not being able to win anything big if he carries on waiting for mistakes from opponents, as needless and just came across to many as sour grapes. If he's just beaten Fed then he must be doing something right and if not then god help Fed right now.

Sour grapes indeed Chris!!!!!!!!!!

But this is not the 1st time he "Roger" has had sour grapes 

Rafa - one dimensional................Sour grapes again

Djoko - Roger has made reference about his game..........and then his biggest after Djoko beat him AO: Roger doesn't care if he wins

and now with his comments over Murray's game..........LOL

Compare with Roger's comments on Andy Roddick - "He's a Great Player" - No mention of one dimensional  :rofl_2:  :rofl_2:

Roger and his h2h 15-1 in Rogers favor............... :rofl_2:  Yet he's a Great Player

Roger on Hewitt - "He's a Great Player".............. :rofl_2:  :rofl_2:.............................

Roger is a "classy guy" when he is winning!!!

Roger is a "classless guy" when he has lost!!!

:)
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #424 on: March 06, 2008, 12:47:59 AM »
Right I'll brace myself to be hit my a barrage from Fed fans but I don't want to sound as if I'm getting right at Fed here but:
I felt the comments about Murray from him with regards to his game not improving and not being able to win anything big if he carries on waiting for mistakes from opponents, as needless and just came across to many as sour grapes. If he's just beaten Fed then he must be doing something right and if not then god help Fed right now.

Sour grapes indeed Chris!!!!!!!!!!

But this is not the 1st time he "Roger" has had sour grapes 

Rafa - one dimensional................Sour grapes again

Djoko - Roger has made reference about his game..........and then his biggest after Djoko beat him AO: Roger doesn't care if he wins

and now with his comments over Murray's game..........LOL

Compare with Roger's comments on Andy Roddick - "He's a Great Player" - No mention of one dimensional  :rofl_2:  :rofl_2:

Roger and his h2h 15-1 in Rogers favor............... :rofl_2:  Yet he's a Great Player

Roger on Hewitt - "He's a Great Player".............. :rofl_2:  :rofl_2:.............................

Roger is a "classy guy" when he is winning!!!

Roger is a "classless guy" when he has lost!!!

:)

:rofl_2: Got to laugh at that one, especially because when you think about it- it's actually very true with the kind comments Fed says about Roddick and Hewitt- being great players and always liking the challenge of going up against them, but there's never any sort of reference like that with Murray or Djokovic, Nalby or even Rafa(although Fed does recognise he's his big rival and a great player- in his own right) Fed has so much class on and off court but when he takes a defeat he doesn't do himself any favours within the public eye or in the media!
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Fedsuperfan

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #425 on: March 06, 2008, 04:05:21 AM »
I think Roger did mention something about Nalby being a tough/great player. Not sure when....I am sure others can help with the reference.

Offline LionShipper

• Tennis Player
« Reply #426 on: March 08, 2008, 12:10:47 PM »

hey everybody.

Roger has just announced in his official site that he suffered from mononucleosis, and that it started on the last days of December. So it would explain his bad year start...
Roger IS the king :king:, and I'll always follow the Federer Express. :first-place:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #427 on: March 08, 2008, 12:13:46 PM »

hey everybody.

Roger has just announced in his official site that he suffered from mononucleosis, and that it started on the last days of December. So it would explain his bad year start...

You're late!  Look in the thread devoted to this and it'll explain everything. ;-()

Offline LionShipper

• Tennis Player
« Reply #428 on: March 08, 2008, 12:16:47 PM »

The problem about being in this forum is that apparently I'm always late to post something!  :rofl_2:
Roger IS the king :king:, and I'll always follow the Federer Express. :first-place:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #429 on: March 08, 2008, 12:17:53 PM »

The problem about being in this forum is that apparently I'm always late to post something!  :rofl_2:

That's ok.  Just don't let that stop you from posting. :))

Offline LionShipper

• Tennis Player
« Reply #430 on: March 08, 2008, 12:19:35 PM »

It won't. I can be pretty stubborn.  :)~

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #431 on: March 08, 2008, 01:45:48 PM »
I see where Roger gets his emotions from - his mom! :))

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #432 on: March 08, 2008, 03:36:35 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cW8riecPgM

Fed can gain a ton of points in Indian Wells and in Miami. i think if one is a betting person, its a good bet that he will take one of these 2 titles. a lot depends on the draw obviously but i sense that he is going to try to make a statement. of the 2, i would say the best bet is miami.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #433 on: March 08, 2008, 03:50:45 PM »

Fed can gain a ton of points in Indian Wells and in Miami. i think if one is a betting person, its a good bet that he will take one of these 2 titles. a lot depends on the draw obviously but i sense that he is going to try to make a statement. of the 2, i would say the best bet is miami.

I think the best bet would be Indian Wells.  He seems to really like the dessert instead of the humid conditions in Miami.  But heck, at this point - I'll take either for a win!   :))

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #434 on: March 08, 2008, 03:53:04 PM »

I think the best bet would be Indian Wells.  He seems to really like the dessert instead of the humid conditions in Miami.  But heck, at this point - I'll take either for a win!   :))

i am thinking that he uses indian wells to get into the swing of things and then kicks some ass in miami. indian wells courts are slow and he really prefers faster hard courts.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #435 on: March 08, 2008, 04:37:52 PM »

i am thinking that he uses indian wells to get into the swing of things and then kicks some ass in miami. indian wells courts are slow and he really prefers faster hard courts.

I just hope he's fit enough for all of us to see the 'old' Roger back. :)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #436 on: March 08, 2008, 04:41:33 PM »

I just hope he's fit enough for all of us to see the 'old' Roger back. :)

the sport already misses him and nadal just doing their thing.

Offline Flyer

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #437 on: March 09, 2008, 02:50:29 PM »
The cleared for practice & play does not mean Fed is "FIT" to play - just that he is no longer barred by his doctors from intense physical activity.

I just hope that is truely the case - mono can be a wiley and difficult disease to put down & out - just when you think you've recovered - even when making antibodies - you can feel the effects - particulary fatigue - for long periods of time after being "cleared" by your physician.

I worry about the effects of not being in tip top shape and that that may lead to an injury as Fed perhaps finds himself out of position on a point and pushes himself to reach or hit a shot a bit too late a bit too hard to make up for his lack of fitness.  Injuries often come when a player is out of positin (something Fed rarely is) and do not execute their shots properly.

A news piece:

A time of urgency for Federer

By James Beck
The Post and Courier
Sunday, March 9, 2008

Roger Federer is an amazing human being.

Mononucleosis can sap an individual's strength to such an extent that it can be difficult and dangerous to engage in any physical activity. Athletes have been known to be sidelined by the illness from months to years.

Some athletes never fully recover from the energy-draining illness. They come back, but they've lost the edge that separated them from their counterparts.

I'm no medical authority, but I remember back in high school when a promising young athlete was hit by mono and sat out the entire year. It's the dreaded sickness that all young athletes fear. It can attack the most skilled and talented, turning great athletes into average ones.

But Federer nearly won a Grand Slam title while suffering from mono. Despite apparently contracting mono in December, he still advanced to the semi- finals of the Australian Open.

What an inopportune time for Federer to fall to such an illness — just three Grand Slam titles from owning the record. And he'll be 27 years old in five months.

It's a time of urgency for the world's No. 1 player. He's lost his last two matches, but he can't afford to take an extended leave from the tour. Instead, he is embarking on back-to-back two-week tournaments in Indian Wells, Calif., and Miami. This is an ambitious plan under the circumstances, even for a player of Federer's greatness.

Before that undertaking, Federer is scheduled to take on the king of Grand Slam titles, Pete Sampras, in an exhibition match Monday night at sold-out Madison Square Garden.

Watch match live

Madison Square Garden is a long way away, but the USTA is trying to put you in the stands. USTA.com will provide free live video of Monday's 8 p.m. exhibition as it picks up the Tennis Channel feed with the help of broadband company TVUNetworks. The full match will remain available on-demand on USTA.com for seven days.

Remember, Sampras dealt Federer a defeat in their last exhibition, back in November. Of course, Federer may have been suffering from mono then and didn't know it. He has been cleared by doctors, but recent play suggests he may still be feeling the aftereffects of the illness.

Source: charleston.net/news/2008/mar/09/a_time_urgency_federer33204/

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #438 on: March 12, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »
My career is not in decline: Federer

Mar 11, 8:19 am EDT

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=An0Dfk.PLllynWnc._3JDyQ4v7YF?slug=reu-federerdc&prov=reuters&type=lgns

NEW YORK (Reuters) - World number one Roger Federer dismissed suggestions his career was in decline and said he would use recent defeats as motivation after recovering from a virus.

The Swiss player lost in the first round in Dubai last week by Briton Andy Murray, his first match since defeat by eventual champion Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals in January.

“In Switzerland there is a little too much speculation my career is over,” the 26-year-old Federer told a news conference before Monday’s 6-3 6-7 7-6 victory over former world number one Pete Sampras in an exhibition match at Madison Square Garden.

“People just need to know I’m healthy and happy and not miserable and down and out.”

Federer pulled out victory in the good-natured contest by 8-6 in the final set tie-breaker before a crowd of around 19,000 at the Garden, including world number one golfer Tiger Woods, the Swiss champion’s friend.

Federer, the 12-times grand slam singles champion, competes at the Pacific Life Open at Indian Wells, California later this week. He was told he was suffering from glandular fever after the Australian Open.

“Honestly, losses like this motivate me more than anything,” said Federer. “Trying to come back, trying to prove I’m still the one to beat.

“I just want to show I can do it over and over again.”

The back-to-back defeats dented Federer’s aura of invincibility and fed the confidence of those younger rivals who have seen him reign as number one for a record 215 consecutive weeks.

LOVE COMPETING

Within two grand slam titles of Sampras’s record haul of 14, Federer said his affection for tennis was greater than ever.

“I love competing on center courts all over the world. So many people are happy when I get there. It touches me. I love to practice more and more now,” he said.

“What I enjoy most are the matches, the pressure, the fans, center court. I hope that’s going to stay with me as long as possible.”

Federer said he was looking forward to competing at the Beijing Olympics in August and future Games.

“The (London) Olympic Games in 2012 is something I’m looking forward to, and go from there. See how I feel with my fitness, my motivation.”

Federer may have made his worst start to a season in eight years but Sampras was confident the Swiss would soon be winning again.

“In a lot of ways Roger has created this sort of monster of being unbeatable,” said the 36-year-old American.

“If you lose a match here, lose a match there, people have the assumption he has lost his edge, lost his dominance. I don’t look at it like that at all.

“He’ll play Indian Wells and he’ll play Miami (in two weeks) and do fine at those events. When it comes down to it at the big, big events, I think he’ll be the guy standing with the trophy.”

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #439 on: March 12, 2008, 11:29:19 AM »
Good article!  Thanks for posting it Swish!   Fed loves to practice more and more now!?   That spells trouble for many!