Author Topic: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!  (Read 815244 times)

Offline barbadosan

• Tennis God
Re: Quotes on Roger Federer
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2007, 04:02:53 PM »
Jadefox  :trampoline: (I was trying to find a hello wave smiley so settled for the trampoline). Congrats on your HDTV and nice to see you back :)

Offline JadeFox21

• Tennis God
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2007, 04:19:52 PM »
Jadefox  :trampoline: (I was trying to find a hello wave smiley so settled for the trampoline). Congrats on your HDTV and nice to see you back :)
Thanks.  I tell ya...HDTV spoils the heck out of you.  Why can't every channel broadcast in HD??  I imagine it will only be a matter of time before they do.  The widescreen is weird too.  I mean, it looks great with movies and HD broadcasts...but if you choose the widescreen format for SD broadcasts, well, everyone and everything looks too fat.  I hate that.  So, I choose to watch SD with the black bars on the right/left.

Anyway, since TTC is in SD, the tennis is the same but with better color.  TTC won't be going HD until the end of the year.  The first chance to see tennis in HD should be the TMC since that will be shown on ESPN.  Can't wait!  Somehow seeing my Roger in HD makes my heart race, ha!
Addicted to the Fed Express

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2007, 06:57:49 PM »
Thanks.  I tell ya...HDTV spoils the heck out of you.  Why can't every channel broadcast in HD??  I imagine it will only be a matter of time before they do.  The widescreen is weird too.  I mean, it looks great with movies and HD broadcasts...but if you choose the widescreen format for SD broadcasts, well, everyone and everything looks too fat.  I hate that.  So, I choose to watch SD with the black bars on the right/left.

Anyway, since TTC is in SD, the tennis is the same but with better color.  TTC won't be going HD until the end of the year.  The first chance to see tennis in HD should be the TMC since that will be shown on ESPN.  Can't wait!  Somehow seeing my Roger in HD makes my heart race, ha!

Do you have to purhase the HDTV stations? Or if you have the HDTV ...you can automatically see the stations that broadcast in HD?  Am I making sense? :confused1:

Offline britbox

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2007, 09:22:14 PM »
Federer\'s good qualities:  pretty good forehand, pretty good serve, pretty good movement, pretty smart player.    Overall enough pretty good things to his game to be a pretty good player who can dominate an error of pitifulness like this one.    Also good at faking being a nice guy to the media and public, if you arent truly a nice guy, atleast give credit for doing a good job at pretend.   Nice hair, nice clothes.   

Federer\'s not so good qualities:  weak backhand, weak return of service, weak volleys, weak overhead.   Skinny unimpressive bold.   Huge nose will keep him from ever being particularly good looking, even with the nice hair.   Boring.   Not a genuinely nice guy and comes across as phony.   Did I mention boring.

Weak return of serve?? :rofl_2: :rofl_2:  Keep smoking the crack pipe.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2007, 09:24:46 PM »
Federer\'s good qualities:  pretty good forehand, pretty good serve, pretty good movement, pretty smart player.    Overall enough pretty good things to his game to be a pretty good player who can dominate an error of pitifulness like this one.    Also good at faking being a nice guy to the media and public, if you arent truly a nice guy, atleast give credit for doing a good job at pretend.   Nice hair, nice clothes.   

Federer\'s not so good qualities:  weak backhand, weak return of service, weak volleys, weak overhead.   Skinny unimpressive bold.   Huge nose will keep him from ever being particularly good looking, even with the nice hair.   Boring.   Not a genuinely nice guy and comes across as phony.   Did I mention boring.

Dredging up the crap from the past. The guy has followed the crackman into banned oblivion.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline britbox

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2007, 09:26:56 PM »

Dredging up the crap from the past. The guy has followed the crackman into banned oblivion.

Glad to see you've got active mods here.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2007, 09:29:46 PM »
Federer\'s good qualities:  pretty good forehand, pretty good serve, pretty good movement, pretty smart player.    Overall enough pretty good things to his game to be a pretty good player who can dominate an error of pitifulness like this one.    Also good at faking being a nice guy to the media and public, if you arent truly a nice guy, atleast give credit for doing a good job at pretend.   Nice hair, nice clothes.   

Federer\'s not so good qualities:  weak backhand, weak return of service, weak volleys, weak overhead.   Skinny unimpressive bold.   Huge nose will keep him from ever being particularly good looking, even with the nice hair.   Boring.   Not a genuinely nice guy and comes across as phony.   Did I mention boring.

They've trained us so well we hardly need them!!  :)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2007, 09:35:04 PM »
Federer\'s good qualities:  pretty good forehand, pretty good serve, pretty good movement, pretty smart player.    Overall enough pretty good things to his game to be a pretty good player who can dominate an error of pitifulness like this one.    Also good at faking being a nice guy to the media and public, if you arent truly a nice guy, atleast give credit for doing a good job at pretend.   Nice hair, nice clothes.   

Federer\'s not so good qualities:  weak backhand, weak return of service, weak volleys, weak overhead.   Skinny unimpressive bold.   Huge nose will keep him from ever being particularly good looking, even with the nice hair.   Boring.   Not a genuinely nice guy and comes across as phony.   Did I mention boring.

They've trained us so well we hardly need them!!  :)

We prefer to be active joining in the tennis discussions. So far that has been the case. ://

An ambition fulfilled

Offline JadeFox21

• Tennis God
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2007, 09:35:17 PM »
Do you have to purhase the HDTV stations? Or if you have the HDTV ...you can automatically see the stations that broadcast in HD?  Am I making sense? :confused1:

If you have an HDTV, you can get local HD channels (for ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox) just by using an off-air antenna. So, those are free.  You have to pay to get the HD cable stations.  I switched back from Dish to DirecTV (now that DirecTV has TTC) because by the end of the year, DirecTV will have the most HD channels.  Plus, DirecTV is cheaper than Dish for HD service.  So now I have all the available HD channels plus all the regular SD (standard def) ones.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2007, 10:21:54 AM »

I saw some USO from 2006 I think on HD.   It was amazing!   :cool:   The camera angle was behind one end of the court but it seemed to be on top of the court.  It was perfect clarity and perfect zoom, the court seemed to be alive and on you!  It looked way better than even in real life!? 

Offline JadeFox21

• Tennis God
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2007, 11:42:05 AM »
It does OSU!  It's like this really clear 3-D look.  Movies and shows in HD look like you are watching it in a theater - just really crisp.  But sports...man, that is where you really appreciate HD.  It does seem better than 'live'!  I've only seen football, baseball, and golf so far in HD.  I can't wait to see tennis!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 12:51:35 PM by JadeFox21 »

Offline JadeFox21

• Tennis God
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2007, 12:42:20 PM »
I thought this was interesting:

October 18, 2007
Federer Unstrung
By PAUL BERGER
TENNIS fans may lust after Roger Federer’s racket strung with Roger Federer’s string. But if they bought a racket customized to his specifications, they might regret the choice.

For one thing, such a racket would be hard to control. “You either have to have a real Roger Federer fetish or really good skills,” said Nate Ferguson of Priority 1, based in Florida, who does customization work for Mr. Federer and other top professionals like Novak Djokovic. “Of the 100 guys out there at the top of the game, none of them play with Roger’s racket.”

Ordering a racket strung the Federer way is a bit like ordering a Starbucks coffee. Just ask for “a Wilson 16 gauge gut main string and a Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Rough cross string,” and then hope you won’t have to say it again. The racket itself is a Wilson K Factor Six One Tour with a 90-square-inch head. The precise weight of his customized racket is a secret.

Assuming you’ve overcome the hurdle of ordering the strings, you would also need a bit of cash.

At the Madrid Masters tournament this week in Spain, Mr. Federer is playing with 12 rackets, swapping on or near every ball change and alternating string tension depending on the bounce of the ball (and his mood), so a full arsenal of customized Federer rackets would cost about $3,500, including the cost of the rackets.

“The racket gives you very little as a player,” Mr. Ferguson said. “It’s Federer’s God-given talent that creates the pace and spin.”

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2007, 12:47:17 PM »

October 18, 2007
Federer Unstrung
By PAUL BERGER
TENNIS fans may lust after Roger Federer’s racket strung with Roger Federer’s string. But if they bought a racket customized to his specifications, they might regret the choice.

For one thing, such a racket would be hard to control. “You either have to have a real Roger Federer fetish or really good skills,” said Nate Ferguson of Priority 1, based in Florida, who does customization work for Mr. Federer and other top professionals like Novak Djokovic. “Of the 100 guys out there at the top of the game, none of them play with Roger’s racket.”

Ordering a racket strung the Federer way is a bit like ordering a Starbucks coffee. Just ask for “a Wilson 16 gauge gut main string and a Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Rough cross string,” and then hope you won’t have to say it again. The racket itself is a Wilson K Factor Six One Tour with a 90-square-inch head. The precise weight of his customized racket is a secret.

Assuming you’ve overcome the hurdle of ordering the strings, you would also need a bit of cash.

At the Madrid Masters tournament this week in Spain, Mr. Federer is playing with 12 rackets, swapping on or near every ball change and alternating string tension depending on the bounce of the ball (and his mood), so a full arsenal of customized Federer rackets would cost about $3,500, including the cost of the rackets.

“The racket gives you very little as a player,” Mr. Ferguson said. “It’s Federer’s God-given talent that creates the pace and spin.”

Thanks, that WAS interesting.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2007, 04:54:58 PM »

October 18, 2007
Federer Unstrung
By PAUL BERGER

I have to slightly dissagree. I have recently switched to the K-Factor Tour 90 and after an experiment with a mulitfiber, I put a Lux/gut combo in at around 57 lbs and I absolutely love it.
I played with a Pro Staff because we had a contract with Wilson about 15 years ago, and didn't like it then (the K-Factor is pretty much a Pro Staff with a paint job), but things have changed, I have changed and I appreciate a heavier racquet now.
It's true that if you don't have something close to proper form you will regret going to Luxilon string. It's murder on elbows and shoulders. But if your approach to hitting the ball is sound it's worth a look.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2007, 07:37:44 PM »
I've been reading all these posts, Page 1 on and make no mistake, I like Roger, he's just not my favorite. But... you people should never make fun of me for my Rafa fanaticism, you're all as far gone as I am, I just chose the 2 horse. Yes, I know my horse didn't win yet... but he might... someday... maybe

:rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2007, 09:39:43 PM »
I've been reading all these posts, Page 1 on and make no mistake, I like Roger, he's just not my favorite. But... you people should never make fun of me for my Rafa fanaticism, you're all as far gone as I am, I just chose the 2 horse. Yes, I know my horse didn't win yet... but he might... someday... maybe

hey yellowball, we need supporters of all kinds, it makes for a lively board, most people just like to rib you some. I was supporting Davydenko, seemed like I was the only one. And he let me down again, at least when the clay season starts you'll have someone, with davy I'm chopped liver!!!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2007, 07:25:52 AM »

You have to admit, all things considered, that what Fed has done over the last few years is absolutely amazing!  He is very talented for sure!     

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2007, 07:26:29 AM »

hey yellowball, we need supporters of all kinds, it makes for a lively board, most people just like to rib you some. I was supporting Davydenko, seemed like I was the only one. And he let me down again, at least when the clay season starts you'll have someone, with davy I'm chopped liver!!!

I supported Denko against many who were ripping him as well!   ;-()

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2007, 10:00:47 AM »

I supported Denko against many who were ripping him as well!   ;-()

Me too. If some of the gambling allegations have some truth to them, I reserve the right to bash away. But on performance, I think he gets the most out of what he has.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2007, 11:02:07 AM »

I supported Denko against many who were ripping him as well!   ;-()

Thanks OSU!  At least i'll have company on the way down.  :( :)