Author Topic: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!  (Read 783060 times)

Offline Fedsuperfan

• Tennis Pro
Re: Quotes on Roger Federer
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2007, 08:24:52 AM »
More Quotes here: some are duplicates.

http://www.rogerfedererbook.com/quotes.php

Offline Fedsuperfan

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2007, 08:29:25 AM »
TENNIS http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/story/260641.html

Sampras says Federer will break record

Macau | Take it from no less an authority than Pete Sampras: Roger Federer is more dominant than he was and will break his record of 14 Grand Slam titles.

Still, Sampras isn't prepared to cede his place in history just yet. Asked how Sampras in his prime would fare against Federer, the 36-year-old American said it wasn't a fair comparison.

"For me, in my prime, I felt unbeatable," Sampras said Friday. "In Roger's days, he's unbeatable."

Sampras said at a news conference he thought Federer would remain No. 1 a "very, very long time." Federer has won 12 Grand Slams titles, two short of Sampras' mark.

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2007, 04:02:59 AM »

Macau | Take it from no less an authority than Pete Sampras: Roger Federer is more dominant than he was and will break his record of 14 Grand Slam titles.

Still, Sampras isn't prepared to cede his place in history just yet. Asked how Sampras in his prime would fare against Federer, the 36-year-old American said it wasn't a fair comparison.

"For me, in my prime, I felt unbeatable," Sampras said Friday. "In Roger's days, he's unbeatable."

Sampras said at a news conference he thought Federer would remain No. 1 a "very, very long time." Federer has won 12 Grand Slams titles, two short of Sampras' mark.

Pete on FED after the MACAU match:

"The major record, he's got so much time. He's 26 and he's got the next four years to be in the pinnacle of his career so I see him breaking that, if not next year, pretty soon," Sampras said.

I don't say that lightly. He knows it's a lot of work but I know the game well enough to know he's a class above everyone.

"That being said, these kids are hungry, (Rafael) Nadal and (Novak) Djokovic and (Andy) Roddick. These guys are going to want to push him but I still feel like Roger has an extra gear, especially when it comes to the majors." Quite nice comment Right?  :)) :))

Details here:

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5i9y7Lhl4lHzCvLtisW-Ep9NWET7A
"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" Roger Federer.

We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, we can only be wise with our own wisdom

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2007, 05:08:38 AM »

Pete on FED after the MACAU match:

"The major record, he's got so much time. He's 26 and he's got the next four years to be in the pinnacle of his career so I see him breaking that, if not next year, pretty soon," Sampras said.

I don't say that lightly. He knows it's a lot of work but I know the game well enough to know he's a class above everyone.

"That being said, these kids are hungry, (Rafael) Nadal and (Novak) Djokovic and (Andy) Roddick. These guys are going to want to push him but I still feel like Roger has an extra gear, especially when it comes to the majors." Quite nice comment Right?  :)) :))

Details here:

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5i9y7Lhl4lHzCvLtisW-Ep9NWET7A

Sampras knows the power of Roger's game!
As these GS's pile up on Fed's shelf the naysayers will be a dying breed with just a few occasional meaningless whimpers now and then.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2007, 07:55:39 PM »
This comes from a poster who was recently un-banned from MTF.

The likes of hewitt are training like a man on a mission. Gasquet and baghdatis would be determined to get to the top echelons by working their butt off during the off season.
Djokovic is keen to reverse his unfortunate choke at NY last year.

These developments should send shivers through the camp of the arrogant swiss.

I can imagine the man partying around without any idea of the approaching revolution. Even the heavy defeats inflicted by Sampras was delusionally passed off as exhibition

He is in for a nasty surprise. His moonballing game and horrible backhand is no match for the finesse of gasquet and the slapping forehand of Baghy.

The young guns are poised to strike real hard by the mid of 2008.

Ladies and gentleman, deliverance is coming. the transition is fully over. we finally will get true champs since the retirement of the glorious greek american warrior in 2002 after six years of untold hardship,troture and despair for true tennis fans!

:rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2007, 08:01:01 PM »

The likes of hewitt are training like a man on a mission. Gasquet and baghdatis would be determined to get to the top echelons by working their butt off during the off season.

I can imagine the man partying around without any idea of the approaching revolution. Even the heavy defeats inflicted by Sampras was delusionally passed off as exhibition

He is in for a nasty surprise. His moonballing game and horrible backhand is no match for the finesse of gasquet and the slapping forehand of Baghy.

Ladies and gentleman, deliverance is coming. the transition is fully over. we finally will get true champs since the retirement of the glorious greek american warrior in 2002 after six years of untold hardship,troture and despair for true tennis fans!

I would welcome all this competition for Fed, and I think Fed welcomes it too, he's the type that wants to be challenged. And the fans get the benefit.

Like Fed says "Come On!!!"

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »

I'm just amazed that people can actually believe this kind of crap. I mean it's alright to say that Sampras was better. I have no issues wiht that. It's an opinion. But to describe Federer as a moonballer is about as blind as you can get.
What are they watching anyway?

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2007, 08:15:16 PM »

I'm just amazed that people can actually believe this kind of crap. I mean it's alright to say that Sampras was better. I have no issues wiht that. It's an opinion. But to describe Federer as a moonballer is about as blind as you can get.
What are they watching anyway?

If you have ever visited BBC boards before they changed into the new format, they used to have plenty of posters who would comment like this.  Totally unbelievable stuff.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2007, 09:06:06 PM »
Top 10 Feats of 2007

1) Federer Increases Grand Slam Finals Streak -- World No. 1 Roger Federer reached all four Grand Slam finals in 2007, falling just one match short of claiming a calendar-year Grand Slam when he lost to Rafael Nadal in the Roland Garros final. Federer became the first player ever to reach all four Grand Slam finals in back-to-back seasons. The 26-year-old Swiss superstar improved his all-time record to 10 consecutive Grand Slam finals reached going into the 2008 season by winning three of four Slam titles for the second straight season (except Roland Garros). During the season Federer won his fifth consecutive Wimbledon crown (tying Bjorn Borg's record) and his fourth straight US Open title (the first since Bill Tilden in the 1920s).

Honorable Mentions
* Roger the Lone Soldier -- Roger Federer held top spot in the South African Airways ATP Rankings for the entire season. On Feb. 26, Federer broke the record of Jimmy Connors for most consecutive weeks at No. 1. Connors held No. 1 for 160 consecutive weeks in the 1970s. Federer enters the 2008 season (as of Dec. 31 week) with 205 straight weeks at No. 1.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2007, 10:50:57 PM »
Top 10 Feats of 2007

1) Federer Increases Grand Slam Finals Streak -- World No. 1 Roger Federer reached all four Grand Slam finals in 2007, falling just one match short of claiming a calendar-year Grand Slam when he lost to Rafael Nadal in the Roland Garros final. Federer became the first player ever to reach all four Grand Slam finals in back-to-back seasons. The 26-year-old Swiss superstar improved his all-time record to 10 consecutive Grand Slam finals reached going into the 2008 season by winning three of four Slam titles for the second straight season (except Roland Garros). During the season Federer won his fifth consecutive Wimbledon crown (tying Bjorn Borg's record) and his fourth straight US Open title (the first since Bill Tilden in the 1920s).

Honorable Mentions
* Roger the Lone Soldier -- Roger Federer held top spot in the South African Airways ATP Rankings for the entire season. On Feb. 26, Federer broke the record of Jimmy Connors for most consecutive weeks at No. 1. Connors held No. 1 for 160 consecutive weeks in the 1970s. Federer enters the 2008 season (as of Dec. 31 week) with 205 straight weeks at No. 1.

And yet, some people say Roger had an "off-year" this year...  :rofl_2:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2007, 10:15:34 PM »
Expect less, not more, from Fedby: James Martin, TENNIS.com
posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007  |  Feedback  |  Print Entry
filed under: Tennis

Roger Federer is steadily running out of milestones to cross. He's all but rewritten the record books. He's coming off a season that, for him, was shockingly below average -- 69 wins and 9 losses, with a paltry three Grand Slams and five other singles titles, versus a 92-5 record and 12 titles in 2006. You feeling OK, Rog?
Federer is 26, which is middle age for a tennis player. It's the time your body starts to betray you. Yet he's remained extraordinarily healthy. The guy hasn't had so much as a hangnail. Perhaps it's the economy of his footwork, or just dumb luck, but Federer shows no signs of failing physically.

But the world's No. 1 doesn't have the KO-style serve to rely on as he gets older, a la Pete Sampras. Although he can obviously end points anywhere on the court, and get to net better than most, he's still going to have to work hard to win. Seeing what changes he makes in his game (more serve and volley, perhaps?) during the final lap of his career will be intriguing.

One thing is for sure: Fans will have to expect a little less from the Mighty Fed. Expect him, in other words, to be less than Mighty, particularly at non-Slam events. Expect him to compete in fewer tournaments, so he can save himself for the majors. As of now, he's also cutting down his exhibition schedule to just one for next year, in Madison Square Garden against Sampras in March.

As usual, Federer is gearing his preparation toward the Grand Slams and, for next year, the Olympics. He's not going to play the first week of the season, in Doha in January, passing up a chance at lucrative appearance money. Instead, the Federer camp told me, he's spending an extra week with his trainer, and then taking an extra week off. He's skipping European indoor events, too, such as Rotterdam in February.

Federer understands that every single training day and rest day all adds up to how well you play at the end of the year. (Will Rafa learn this lesson?) And he knows that there will be a brutal crunch this summer. Typically, after Wimbledon Federer takes two weeks off and trains two weeks, but with the Olympics in Beijing sandwiched between Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, the pace will be unrelenting.

If Federer's quest to win the big titles means fewer Masters Series events, so be it. They matter to him, but not that much anymore.

Indeed, aside from the Grand Slams, the Olympics is tops on Federer's to-do list. Tennis as a medal event has been a hit and (mostly) miss affair, an unpredictable competition where you can throw the rankings out the door. Just ask Federer, who lost in 2004 to Tomas Berdych. But the Olympics is also one of the missing pieces on Federer's résumé, and an accomplishment that his two main rivals, Rod Laver and Pete Sampras, don't have on theirs.

Everything Federer does is filtered through this one question: What will make me the best player of all time?

Winning Gold is part of that equation. So is breaking the Grand Slam record, which he'll do barring a catastrophe. That will leave just two milestones: winning the French Open and capturing a Davis Cup title.

Given his age, Federer's probably got two good years, and maybe three or four fair years, to accomplish all that there is to do on a tennis court. He is acutely aware of that, and is taking all of the right precautions to make it happen.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2007, 10:48:41 PM »
I saw on MTF that when Nalbandian made his run a few months ago, he said, "Where the hell has he been all year?" :shakey:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2007, 11:07:24 PM »
I saw on MTF that when Nalbandian made his run a few months ago, he said, "Where the hell has he been all year?" :shakey:

Yeah, I wondered the same thing myself.  ||-|

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2007, 11:30:52 PM »

we all were I think, he had a pretty decent but yet 'let down' year 2006 (only 2 GS semis, TMC semis and 2 titles?), and I was hoping he'd have a better 2007.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2007, 11:36:03 PM »

we all were I think, he had a pretty decent but yet 'let down' year 2006 (only 2 GS semis, TMC semis and 2 titles?), and I was hoping he'd have a better 2007.

I didn't know he had that kind of game, really awesome shots at times. Whether he can maintain it over 5 sets is a question, but with good preparation he should be able to.

Again, another reason to look forward to AO.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2007, 11:38:45 PM »
What was funny to me was prior to Madrid and Paris, he'd only made it to 1 quarterfinal all year.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2007, 11:42:05 PM »
What was funny to me was prior to Madrid and Paris, he'd only made it to 1 quarterfinal all year.

You'd think if anything he would want more money.  :Confused:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2007, 11:33:19 AM »

That's why I think it will be hard for him to keep that form up for most of 2008.  If it were just based on talent along, Safin would be right there each year... but tennis involves more than just talent.  A lot has to do with what's between the ears and that is where Safin and Nalby fall short.

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2007, 11:39:53 AM »

That's why I think it will be hard for him to keep that form up for most of 2008.  If it were just based on talent along, Safin would be right there each year... but tennis involves more than just talent.  A lot has to do with what's between the ears and that is where Safin and Nalby fall short.

You have an excellent point there Dallas. Talent wise, there are many out there, but its the dedication, desire to win, tactics, mental strength, experience to learn from mistakes, & to be able to perform well every single day are a few things that differentiate the champions.

Looking forward to the AO 2008 :H

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2007, 12:13:07 PM »

That's exactly why Safin and Nalbandian could never ever stay at the very top of the game. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nalbandian go out of the Australian Open before the last 8 and then go through the majority of the year with just pretty average results.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!