Author Topic: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!  (Read 841498 times)

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
Re: Quotes on Roger Federer
« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2007, 05:41:43 PM »
Some quotes by the man himself:

Roger on Djokovic's injuries:

"I don't trust his injuries"  (for once I agree)....but perhaps he should have bit his tongue.........

On how he played:

"I amazed myself"

On beating James Blake:

"I had to laugh at one stage how well I was playing" - I didn't know he meant James Blake......I had a little laugh myself during that match...in the fact he was playing James Blake..........

Roger again:

"At the beginning of the year people were shock when I lost a set"

and more:

"I felt almost invincible"

Some nice quotes by Roger on Roger

Merry Christmas everyone and a happy New Year to you all

:)
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2007, 05:46:34 PM »
There are a number of things that I think drive the loss of popularity of tennis in the US.
First, of course, there is the media, which drives what people see on TV and therefore what they see. The media is pretty much dominated by the 3 major sports. Football, baseball, and basketball.
Second, I think it has a lot to do with ease of learning the sport. The amount of gratification recieved vs the amount of time it takes to achieve reasobable proficiency, and enjoyment. There maybe sports that are more difficult to learn, but I can't think of any that are even close in terms of popularity as tennis is.
Finally, it has much to do with the number of successful American tennis players on the world tours. This has some to do with how hard it is to learn. It also has something to do with the USTA's hard headedness which seems to want to pideon hole players and not really allow their true talent to rise to the surface, or to ignore unorthodox players for more orthodox types. It's also, a matter of pure luck. Finding the right talent, and having that talent choose tennis, and then finding that talent and getting him or her trained.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2007, 07:37:18 PM »

"I don't trust his injuries"  (for once I agree)....but perhaps he should have bit his tongue.........

On how he played:

"I amazed myself"

On beating James Blake:

"I had to laugh at one stage how well I was playing" - I didn't know he meant James Blake......I had a little laugh myself during that match...in the fact he was playing James Blake..........

Roger again:

and more:

I know I shouldn't take the bait...but what the heck:

1.  Roger on Djokovic's injuries:

First, many players had been complaining about Djokovic on his untimely injury timeouts.  Roger commented on this during Davis Cup when the Swiss played Djokovic's country and Djokovic pulled this stunt against Warwinka which ultimately had a hand in Stan losing.  Roger was right in bringing this out because he and Djokovic afterwards got together to talk about it and you see Djokovic hasn't pulled this stunt since.  It was a growing up lesson for Djokovic and it has made him a better player and a more mature player.

2. "I amazed myself"

On beating James Blake:

This was said during the Year-End in China in 2006 where Roger was just on fire in that match against Blake, beating him really badly in this match.  Roger was so on fire that in the interview when the reporter said how well Roger was playing... Roger was basically stunned and said "I amazed myself'... as if - I have no idea how I was playing that well. Everything was on... the he said "I had to laugh at one stage how well I was playing". Like he was amazed at some of the shots that even he was hitting in that match!  You could see both players looking up at the big screen looking at the replays sharking their heads as if they were saying "gee, how did Roger hit that shot".  So since Roger has the utmost respect for James and vice versa... no story there.  Sorry Alison!

3.  Roger again:

This is true!  You can go back and read so many different tennis threads when Roger even won a close 7-6 set - they were all wondering "what's wrong with Roger"?  Then when he lost a set - the boards went crazy.  When he won a match in Basel but he lost one set the he told the reporter "He, relax, I won the match.  People are shocked when I even loose a set"!  That's how high Roger has set the bar.  Some people are shocked when he even win a close set - less known lose a set!  And the world is falling when he, heavens forbids, looses a match! :rofl_2:

Normally I wouldn't feel the need to respond but knowing who posted these quotes and knowing that Federer is at the bottom of Alison's "wish list"...I know some people (maybe not all the folks here) take quotes out of content.  Surely you wouldn't though Alison, would you? :innocent:    :rofl_2:

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2007, 08:15:52 PM »

On how he played:

"I amazed myself"

On beating James Blake:

Roger again:

and more:

Federer is an extremely confident player. He has a winners attitude. Unfortunately, some find his confidence as arrogance.   :(

I am sometimes amazed at how modest he is considering his absolute dominance over the past few years  :worthy: 

« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 08:18:04 PM by tennisfan78 »

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2007, 08:18:21 PM »

On how he played:

"I amazed myself"

On beating James Blake:

Roger again:

and more:

Federer is an extremely confident player. He has a winners attitude. Unfortunately, some find his confidence as arrogance. 

I am sometimes amazed at how modest he is considering his absolute dominance over the past few years  :worthy: 

couldnt agree more. he is a graceful athlete who has matured into a responsible diplomat of the sport.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2007, 11:27:48 PM »

On how he played:

"I amazed myself"

On beating James Blake:

Roger again:

and more:

Federer is an extremely confident player. He has a winners attitude. Unfortunately, some find his confidence as arrogance.   :(

Not to prod, but I wonder why some find what he says as 'not' arrogance, while I hardly ever hear Andy say a single thing about himself, but he's called an arrogant prick... not by any on this board but some on other boards.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2007, 11:39:25 PM »
I don't find either Roddick or Federer arrogant. Roddick can carry himself sometimes in a way that may be cocky, but I don't see that as arrogant.
Federer may sometimes say things that can be construed as arrogant, but arrogance to me is rubbing it in people's face, and I don't see Federer doing that. He's a perfect gentleman, always.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2007, 11:41:01 PM »

On how he played:

"I amazed myself"

On beating James Blake:

Roger again:

and more:

Not to prod, but I wonder why some find what he says as 'not' arrogance, while I hardly ever hear Andy say a single thing about himself, but he's called an arrogant prick... not by any on this board but some on other boards.

I have often heard people talk about Roddick being arrogant, but in the time that I have followed him lately, I always found him honest and pretty straight forward in press conferences.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2007, 12:23:42 AM »
The people on MTF are still talking about the "Too big" comment he made lat year. In cased you missed it, he was serving in the 4th set against Youhzny at the USO semis. He aced him and said, "Too big"... well, imo, obviously it was. :hysterical:

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #149 on: December 23, 2007, 08:18:17 AM »

Speaking of Press Conferences, Roddick's Press conference after his defeat at the AO semis (with Fed) this year, was most hilarious. He is a funny guy :H

I am sure most of you have seen this before, but incase you missed it:

Offline mogdesai

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #150 on: December 23, 2007, 08:38:05 AM »
I don't find either Roddick or Federer arrogant. Roddick can carry himself sometimes in a way that may be cocky, but I don't see that as arrogant.
Federer may sometimes say things that can be construed as arrogant, but arrogance to me is rubbing it in people's face, and I don't see Federer doing that. He's a perfect gentleman, always.

dmastous, agree with you totally.
Federer, Nadal and Roddick are perfect gentlemen. They are in a class by themselves. They always have some nice words to say about the person they played against.
Roger is a class act.

Offline barbadosan

• Tennis God
« Reply #151 on: December 23, 2007, 08:39:12 AM »

Speaking of Press Conferences, Roddick's Press conference after his defeat at the AO semis (with Fed) this year, was most hilarious. He is a funny guy :H

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kGiSrj97txc

It still makes for good viewing. I really admired his courage there... no way could it have been easy to give a press conference after that match. I'd have paid the fine and slunk away... and he handled it with aplomb and self-deprecating humour that made me take a different view of him

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 08:39:54 AM by barbadosan »

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #152 on: December 23, 2007, 08:49:16 AM »

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=kGiSrj97txc[/youtube]

Yes, I have seen it many times. After hearing the first two answers, I knew it was gonna be good.

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #153 on: December 23, 2007, 09:01:04 AM »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kGiSrj97txc

It still makes for good viewing. I really admired his courage there... no way could it have been easy to give a press conference after that match. I'd have paid the fine and slunk away... and he handled it with aplomb and self-deprecating humour that made me take a different view of him

I agree. Its not easy to come and talk in a press conference after a match like that. He handled it pretty well, with a lot of courage, honesty and humor. :H

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #154 on: December 23, 2007, 11:48:02 AM »
That was a good post conference, thanks for posting it.  In comparison, do we have the one after the US Open loss to Federer?  That was a much better match!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #155 on: December 23, 2007, 02:26:27 PM »
Even though Andy isn't my favorite player, he is right up there in being my favorite player to listen to press conferences.  Andy is wonderful when it comes to giving answers to the press. :grind dance:  I don't find him arrogance at all!

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #156 on: December 23, 2007, 05:27:59 PM »

On how he played:

"I amazed myself"

On beating James Blake:

Roger again:

and more:

I know I shouldn't take the bait...  :rofl_2: :rofl_2: DALLAS YOU CANNOT RESIST  :thank-you: WELL DONE but what the heck:

1.  Roger on Djokovic's injuries:

First, many players had been complaining about Djokovic on his untimely injury timeouts.  Roger commented on this during Davis Cup when the Swiss played Djokovic's country and Djokovic pulled this stunt against Warwinka which ultimately had a hand in Stan losing.  Roger was right in bringing this out because he and Djokovic afterwards got together to talk about it and you see Djokovic hasn't pulled this stunt since.  It was a growing up lesson for Djokovic and it has made him a better player and a more mature player.

2. "I amazed myself"

On beating James Blake:

This was said during the Year-End in China in 2006 where Roger was just on fire in that match against Blake, beating him really badly in this match.  Roger was so on fire that in the interview when the reporter said how well Roger was playing... Roger was basically stunned and said "I amazed myself'... as if - I have no idea how I was playing that well. Everything was on... the he said "I had to laugh at one stage how well I was playing". Like he was amazed at some of the shots that even he was hitting in that match!  You could see both players looking up at the big screen looking at the replays sharking their heads as if they were saying "gee, how did Roger hit that shot".  So since Roger has the utmost respect for James and vice versa... no story there.  Sorry Alison!

3.  Roger again:

This is true!  You can go back and read so many different tennis threads when Roger even won a close 7-6 set - they were all wondering "what's wrong with Roger"?  Then when he lost a set - the boards went crazy.  When he won a match in Basel but he lost one set the he told the reporter "He, relax, I won the match.  People are shocked when I even loose a set"!  That's how high Roger has set the bar.  Some people are shocked when he even win a close set - less known lose a set!  And the world is falling when he, heavens forbids, looses a match! :rofl_2:

Normally I wouldn't feel the need to respond but knowing who posted these quotes and knowing that Federer is at the bottom of Alison's "wish list"...I know some people (maybe not all the folks here) take quotes out of content.  Surely you wouldn't though Alison, would you? :innocent:    :rofl_2:

Dallas great post..I was writing down a similar post..Your is definitely even better..Thanks you put these sentences in the right context and this is the important aspect :whistle:..IMO, any great player would have occasionally sentences and attitudes that can be judged as being arrogant ( in particular if you are taking some sentences out of the context).

I guess it is quite normal and human..I remember Pete Sampras another (like Roger) very humble champion saying the following about himself:

"All I can say is that when I was playing my best, I did feel unbeatable against anybody I had to play against." -Pete Sampras April 2006

Can this sentence be interpret as "arrogant"? Or is it more a "fact", i.e. something we saw several times as "being true"?

IMO it needs to be interpreted as being a fact: When Pete was at his best indeed he was unbeatable or at least unplayable..

Same with FED..Where is the arrogance!!! THESE GUYS ARE right: IT IS TRUE (AT LEAST FOR THEM AS WELL FOR US) !!!  :)~ :)~

Come on!! The arrogance is there if a guy, let's say Gonzo (I have nothing against Gonzo is a pure example) would say to a press conference: When I am playing my "A" game I am unbeatable..Why this sentence is an "arrogant" one..

Simply because we know that Gonzo even when is playing his "A" game is beatable, he has failures in his games, holes that a "great" (means mainly an intelligent-smart) player can use to win against him -  Agassi's sentence of the year: TENNIS IS A GREAT SPORT IN WHICH TO WIN A MATCH YOU ARE NOT FORCED TO PLAY YOUR BEST TENNIS ALL THE TIME; IT IS ENOUGH TO PLAY BETTER THAN YOUR OPPONENT OF THE DAY" (DURING THE COMMENT OF THE USO QF BETWWEN FED-AROD '97).

As a conclusion: I tend to accept great champions "arrogance" and this because IMO they are able to back up with victories and records their sentences (i.e they are able to prove that for them these sentences are "true", THEY BECOME FACTS !!).  ..-)

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to everyone (with the exception of  :rofl_2: :rofl_2:)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 05:36:48 PM by TennisVeritas »
"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" Roger Federer.

We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, we can only be wise with our own wisdom

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #157 on: December 23, 2007, 05:35:11 PM »
Another great comment of Pete on FED's Tennis:

"Roger's serve is more of a weapon than it may appear, and that forehand is deadly," 14-time Grand Slam champion Pete Sampras of the US comments in the January issue.

"What most impressed me, though was the speed at which he can go from defence to offence.  His ability to take command from any place on the court, at any stage of a point, may be his greatest gift of all."

More details here: http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swissinfo.html?siteSect=184&sid=8554074&cKey=1198149100000&ty=nd
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 05:38:38 PM by TennisVeritas »
"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" Roger Federer.

We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, we can only be wise with our own wisdom

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #158 on: December 23, 2007, 08:31:45 PM »
"What most impressed me, though was the speed at which he can go from defence to offence.  His ability to take command from any place on the court, at any stage of a point, may be his greatest gift of all."

There's been a lot of discussion of Fed's arsenal and stats to back it up.
This is one area not mentioned and as Pete said, it may be his most valuable weapon.
This is the area that stats don't measure, you have to watch the game and notice.
It's nice to have a bunch of great skills but even better to use them effectively.

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #159 on: December 24, 2007, 05:15:51 AM »

There's been a lot of discussion of Fed's arsenal and stats to back it up.
This is one area not mentioned and as Pete said, it may be his most valuable weapon.
This is the area that stats don't measure, you have to watch the game and notice.
It's nice to have a bunch of great skills but even better to use them effectively.

Fully agree but I tend to believe that this is one of the major feature "introduce" (re-invented, stressed..difficult to say) by the current (top) players of last two generations (i.e. FED generation + Rafa's generation):

All of them have this amazing feature to move from defence to offence..I really believe this is related to the technological changes at the level of the racquet: new strings in particular allow to generate unbelievable power from the baseline and still keeping a lot of precision..

So, this remark applies IMO certainly to FED-the best example in this domain- but also to Rafa, Nalbi, Djoko, Gasquet, Murray and Gonzo for instance..AROD is a different story..As well as Blake..Might be one this is one of the feature that has not been captured by the top US tennis players..Might be.. :)~ :)~
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 05:17:12 AM by TennisVeritas »