Author Topic: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!  (Read 830697 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: Quotes on Roger Federer
« Reply #160 on: December 24, 2007, 09:10:45 AM »
"What most impressed me, though was the speed at which he can go from defence to offence.  His ability to take command from any place on the court, at any stage of a point, may be his greatest gift of all."

There's been a lot of discussion of Fed's arsenal and stats to back it up.
This is one area not mentioned and as Pete said, it may be his most valuable weapon.
This is the area that stats don't measure, you have to watch the game and notice.
It's nice to have a bunch of great skills but even better to use them effectively.

Fully agree but I tend to believe that this is one of the major feature "introduce" (re-invented, stressed..difficult to say) by the current (top) players of last two generations (i.e. FED generation + Rafa's generation):

All of them have this amazing feature to move from defence to offence..I really believe this is related to the technological changes at the level of the racquet: new strings in particular allow to generate unbelievable power from the baseline and still keeping a lot of precision..
So, this remark applies IMO certainly to FED-the best example in this domain- but also to Rafa, Nalbi, Djoko, Gasquet, Murray and Gonzo for instance..AROD is a different story..As well as Blake..Might be one this is one of the feature that has not been captured by the top US tennis players..Might be.. :)~ :)~

Good point, with the new technology, shots can be made harder and with sharp angles allowing players to get into offensive positions.
Players of the past had great skill but without the tech it was harder to come up with some of these shots being made now.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #161 on: December 24, 2007, 09:41:38 AM »
Movement: Roger Federer 

What are the greatest shots in tennis history? We pick out the game’s most fearsome weapons stroke by stroke, concentrating on the Open Era (since 1968).

By Joel Drucker

Part X: Movement

Final Pick
Roger  Federer

SPEED

Final Pick
Venus  Williams

Shortlist
Venus  Williams
Steffi  Graf
Serena  Williams
Kim  Clijsters
Arantxa  Sanchez Vicario

Rafael  Nadal
Bjorn  Borg
Vitas  Gerulaitis
Michael  Chang
Lleyton  Hewitt
Sergi  Bruguera
Johan Kriek

Today's Best
Rafael  Nadal
Nikolay  Davydenko
David  Ferrer
James  Blake
Lleyton  Hewitt
Sebastien  Grosjean
Arnaud  Clement
Gael  Monfils
Olivier  Rochus

Justine  Henin
Jelena  Jankovic
Serena  Williams
Venus  Williams
Elena  Dementiva

FOOTWORK

Final Pick
Jimmy  Connors

Shortlist
Roger   Federer
Jimmy  Connors
John  McEnroe
Vitas  Gerulatis
Rod  Laver
Ken  Rosewall
Stefan  Edberg
Miloslav  Mecir
Marcelo  Rios
Michael  Chang

Steffi  Graf
Chris  Evert
Martina  Hingis
Tracy  Austin
Maria  Bueno
Suzanne  Lenglen

Today's Best
Roger  Federer
Guillermo  Coria
Novak  Djokovic
Lleyton  Hewitt
David  Nalbandian

Justine  Henin
Amelie  Mauresmo
Venus  Williams
Anna  Chakvetadze
Elena  Dementieva
                   — TENNIS.com

Initially when we talk of movement in tennis we think of those who best track down one ball after another.  These are the rabbits, the men and women who oppress opponents by dint of their exceptional defense.  Two Open era men that come to mind are a pair of claycourt masters, Bjorn Borg and Rafael Nadal.
Borg was one of the game’s first lopers, a gazelle of a man with an exceptionally low pulse and a wonderfully tapered physique.  Many pros felt that on clay the Swede was so fast it was nearly impossible to win a point against him.   In an era where there are even more thundering baseliners, Nadal has taken that defensive model to new heights, scampering to corners, moving forward and turning up the volume, particularly with his forehand.  Honorable mention in recent times goes to Lleyton Hewitt and Michael Chang.

But another way to look at footspeed is to see how a player uses his or her wheels for offense.  Vitas Gerulaitis hummed into volleying position.  Pete Sampras moved fast enough to put himself constantly on the aggressive end of a point.

Our choice for raw velocity is a woman who’s played her fair share of both – Venus Williams.  Raised to conceive of herself as an offensive player, but for much of her career, the hallmark of her career has been her pterodactyl-like defense.  Still, as seen during her four Wimbledon victories, when Williams transitions that sweeping defense into offense, she is one rough customer.

Then there’s footwork, not to be confused with footspeed.  The race in tennis is not necessarily won by the one who is most swift.  After all, the vast majority of movement in tennis is rarely further than four yards.  And as every recreational player knows, the balls that come slow and soft reveal with a vengeance the limits of a player’s footwork.  It’s how adeptly you move around the ball that can be exceptionally telling.

So how best to define footwork?  Think of it this way:  How well did the player make all those little adjustment steps so that he or she could repeatedly be in the best possible position to most effectively strike the ball?   By this definition, someone with the superb footspeed of Venus Williams – constantly forced to improvise and get out of her own way – does not have anywhere near the footwork of, say, the exceptionally consistent, proficient and reliable Chris Evert.  Evert’s discipline was extraordinary.  Rarely was she seen off-balance or unable to strike the ball emphatically. 

Over the course of careers that each lasted 20 years – twice the length of most – Ken Rosewall and Jimmy Connors each showed sublime footwork.  Rosewall was an acoustic glider in the manner of Fred Astaire, Connors a squeaky shuffler.  Like Evert, each usually was poised for quality contact.

Steffi Graf represents an unusual case, combining both Olympic-like speed and exceptional discipline.  Though it’s impossible to assail her Slam tally, it's fascinating that Graf employed her speed much more side-to-side than to come forward.  Still, she ranks among the very best in both departments.

But when it comes to harnessing speed and discipline together, no one does it better than Roger Federer.  So adept is Federer at tracking the ball that he seems able to float to it.  Of course he’s actually moving swiftly.  Yet Federer’s feet rarely scamper.  With unsurpassed posture, he is always able to adjust his feet and strike the ball precisely on his terms.  That is the true goal of footwork: To get there in time – and place – so that you have the widest range of options.

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #162 on: December 24, 2007, 10:17:03 AM »

Greetings to his fans from Federer (from his official website) :

OFF COURT - MERRY CHRISTMAS

Dear fans

Merry Christmas! Sunny greetings here from Dubai where I am busy getting ready for 2008 under perfect conditions. I must admit that it is a bit strange for me to celebrate Christmas in this kind of weather – the thermometer climbed over 25 degrees today. I remember that as a child our family used to spend a lot of time outside in the cold or even in the snow during this time of the year. But I just love the heat so I really enjoy being here.

I can once again look back at a year full of highlights. I am extremely proud to have reached such a large number of goals and milestones, thankful to be healthy and glad to be surrounded by so many great people. It is important for me to point out that all you fans out there are also part of my ‘family’. You play an important role with all your different ways of showing me your loyal support. I would like to address a huge THANK YOU to all of you for the cards or letters by post, via the web or the ones that were even handed over personally for Christmas and New Year. And I’d also like to say special thanks to everyone who supported the Roger Federer Foundation. Your contribution helps us support children via professionally run projects, building a better future not only for them but for entire communities. It seems that this thought is especially close at this time of the year. It makes me happy to see what we have been able to reach together in the four years during which the Foundation has now been active. It is most rewarding to see what change we can make – together.
If you’d like to help you can do so by buying products or by making a donation, the easiest way to do so is via my online shop, please find the link below. Thank you very much.

Have a merry, peaceful and relaxing Christmas!
Warm regards

Roger

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #163 on: December 24, 2007, 10:25:29 AM »
Roger talks to his fans a lot via his website and newsletters. He's great.  I went on-line to see how much that signature RF logo cap cost!.... whew... it's over my league in what I can pay $216.82!!!! ...and people are buying them!  What in the world do they do? :rofl_2:  I hope just the regular RF logo cap go on sale so I can purchase one of them. I'd really would love the signed cap, but I have bills to pay! :rofl_2:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #164 on: December 24, 2007, 10:42:09 AM »
Roger talks to his fans a lot via his website and newsletters. He's great.  I went on-line to see how much that signature RF logo cap cost!.... whew... it's over my league in what I can pay $216.82!!!! ...and people are buying them!  What in the world do they do? :rofl_2:  I hope just the regular RF logo cap go on sale so I can purchase one of them. I'd really would love the signed cap, but I have bills to pay! :rofl_2:

I think if I paid that for a cap thats signed I'd never wear it and would be too scared to ever wear it, I'd feel like the only place suitable for it is on the mantlepiece or somewhere like that  :)
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #165 on: December 26, 2007, 12:56:43 AM »
Santa Fed :))

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #166 on: December 26, 2007, 02:00:18 AM »
Santa Fed :))

Haha  :rofl_2: That's how he spends his off season then!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #167 on: December 28, 2007, 12:50:20 PM »
Fed/Lopez USO is on TTC tonight.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #168 on: December 28, 2007, 03:20:15 PM »
Fed/Lopez USO is on TTC tonight.

Interesting... I just re-watched my tape of that match yesterday!  Lopez came out on fire but then Roger went to town on his own serve in the 3rd set. 

Those who have not seen this needs to watch.  There were some amazing shots by both men (Lopez at the beginning and Roger at the middle and end)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #169 on: December 31, 2007, 11:26:19 AM »
Here's a short letter to the fans from Roger (from rf.com):

ATP - HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Dear fans

Happy New Year to all of you all around the world! I am really looking forward to all the coming challenges and am eager to start the new season. It will, after all, be a special year as the Olympic Games in Beijing add a spectacular highlight to the tennis-year. Furthermore, I will definitely be spending quite some time rooting myself – as the European Soccer Championships will be held in Switzerland and Austria in summertime. That will without doubt be a great soccer spectacle which I am also an official ambassador for.

It is wonderful to know that such a large group of fans always follows me to tournaments and venues all around the globe. I am looking forward to standing on court and hearing, seeing or even meeting you guys. Here’s to an unforgettable 2008!

Yours truly,
Roger

Also, here is a link of Roger being interviewed in Swiss German:

http://helix-v4.sri.ch/ramgen/sfdrs/vod/lebenlive/2007/12/450k/lebenlive_20071228.rm?start=12:36&end=20:05

And, thanks to Vrazkar and Gerardo3 over at RF.com, here is the translation:

Here is a translation of the interview. Swiss speakers are more than welcome to correct me  Gracias a Gerardo3 who made a summary of the interview in the Spanish thread. Ahora no te odio tanto, sabes por que   

The voice speaking at the beginning says that Roger could laugh well again in 2007. He is more than 200 weeks the indisputable #1 in the world and this year won again all the Grand Slam tournaments except for the FO.

The interviewer asks Roger if Dubai has turned into a second homeland for him, why he is exactly in Dubai, is it good to train there or a nice place to travel and visit. Roger says that Dubai has a very convenient location - only 5-6 hours away from Switzerland by plane and a good starting point for a trip everywhere in the world. Besides the weather there is very nice. There are a lot of places in the world where the weather is nice but it rains and in Dubai it doesn't rain at all and that's the most important thing for him.

Then he is asked if there is something else that draws him to Dubai, if he had friends there. Roger answers that he has already some friends in Dubai since he spends there about 3 months per year and has visited this country for the last 3 years. He used to stay in the luxury Burj Al Arab hotel (in the background). Living there was like a dream. It's been a year since he moved to a private place which makes things much easier, he had his privacy and could sleep in his own bed.. Of course he met new friends in Dubai and this made his stay even more enjoyable.

Roger is asked if it is difficult to have friends being so famous. He answers that it was more difficult in the beginning of his career since he thought that people wanted to get to know him because they wanted to make money out of him or because he was famous. Now with the experience that he has he doesn't think much about it and is still able to form some nice friendships.

Then the interviewer asks him if he still stays in touch with his friends from his youth. Roger says that fortunately there is internet and telephone which help him a lot in that. Of course because of his full schedule he doesn't have much time and his friends understand this. However he tries his best to keep his contacts and when he is in Switzerland he tries to meet as much of his colleagues and friends as he can. Regarding his years in the school, moving to the academy in Lausanne and staying there from 14 until 18 years of age has caused him to lose some of his school friends.

Next the interviewer asks if Roger is trying to find out what's going on in Switzerland when he is away, can he think about an event in Switzerland in 2007 that has inspired him. Roger says first that he must think about it and goes on that he spends only 2,5 months per year in Switzerland. He doesn't have so much time to surf the internet although he does this every day and can't answer. Then the interviewer asks him what is the event that stands out for him personally. Roger answers that of course this is Wimbledon because of Bjorn Borg, his record, the final match. Then comes Basel which he was happy not only to take part in but also to win which was the maximum.
The interviewer asks him next how he managed to go on when things didn't go his way in 2007 and how he dealt with losses. Roger says that it is interesting but losing is somehow good for the person because he learns to deal with and overcome losses. It's not like in junior times when there is always up-and-down and at the end you don't feel like playing anymore. Therefore when you have more success losing is much easier to take which is kind of strange, he says...

He is then asked if he would be shocked if he lost his #1 place in the ranking. Roger says that honestly he won't because he has played so constantly and has managed to keep this position for such a long time which is already a great achievement. "If this was to happen, not that I'd be happy about it... the whole thing is an enormous challenge for me", Roger says. "I didn't lose my #1 place when I split up with my coach and when I played bad. When you know what you are doing and I know that I do a lot of things right in my preparation, you aren't afraid of bad times.

The interviewer asks Roger about celebrating the New Year. Roger says that in his life he has been in a lot of different places during Christmas and New Year. He flew two times to Australia and thus missed Christmas once and New Year once. He met the Millennium in Adelaide, Australia where he played a tournament in 2000. In 2006 he was in Dubai and this year he'll meet the New Year again there. The hotel has beautiful fireworks.. Roger will meet the New Year in a very narrow circle of friends with whom he trains in Dubai.

Roger is asked if he has already set his aims for 2008. He says that he wishes above all to stay healthy and uninjured and his family and girlfriend be fine as well. Regarding his professional aims, he'll try to keep his #1 position and of course this will be an Olympic year and it will be very special for him to be at the Olympics and to be part of the whole Olympic team. He still doesn't know if he's going to live in the Olympic village because he had some bad experience before... Anyway the Olympics are one of his aims together with the French Open.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 11:37:25 AM by Dallas »

Offline JadeFox21

• Tennis God
« Reply #170 on: December 31, 2007, 12:03:27 PM »
I think if I paid that for a cap thats signed I'd never wear it and would be too scared to ever wear it, I'd feel like the only place suitable for it is on the mantlepiece or somewhere like that  :)
Yeah, those caps are a bit too high for me as well.  But two years ago, Roger himself signed my Swiss baseball cap.  It now hangs off my bed post.  So, in alot of ways, that is more special because I was there when Roger signed it.  So having that...why buy one?
Addicted to the Fed Express

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #171 on: December 31, 2007, 12:07:31 PM »
Yeah, those caps are a bit too high for me as well.  But two years ago, Roger himself signed my Swiss baseball cap.  It now hangs off my bed post.  So, in alot of ways, that is more special because I was there when Roger signed it.  So having that...why buy one?

You lucky devil!!!! :))  I'd die just to see Roger in person!  I guess I'll just 'dream on'.... maybe one day.... :sad angel:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #172 on: December 31, 2007, 02:20:22 PM »

Thats fantastic JadeFox, that must be one of the very best moments you've experienced having Roger sign your cap, i can imagine you never ever take that cap out of your house since its so precious and rare. Great to hear you've been lucky enough to have your cap signed by Roger.  :)

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #173 on: December 31, 2007, 02:31:51 PM »

Thank you for posting that short letter and also the interview (with translation)Dallas :H  Its good to hear about him during the offseason and what he is up to.   Looking forward to the Australian Open :H

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #174 on: January 02, 2008, 06:33:28 AM »
"What most impressed me, though was the speed at which he can go from defence to offence.  His ability to take command from any place on the court, at any stage of a point, may be his greatest gift of all."

There's been a lot of discussion of Fed's arsenal and stats to back it up.
This is one area not mentioned and as Pete said, it may be his most valuable weapon.
This is the area that stats don't measure, you have to watch the game and notice.
It's nice to have a bunch of great skills but even better to use them effectively.

Fully agree but I tend to believe that this is one of the major feature "introduce" (re-invented, stressed..difficult to say) by the current (top) players of last two generations (i.e. FED generation + Rafa's generation):

All of them have this amazing feature to move from defence to offence..I really believe this is related to the technological changes at the level of the racquet: new strings in particular allow to generate unbelievable power from the baseline and still keeping a lot of precision..
So, this remark applies IMO certainly to FED-the best example in this domain- but also to Rafa, Nalbi, Djoko, Gasquet, Murray and Gonzo for instance..AROD is a different story..As well as Blake..Might be one this is one of the feature that has not been captured by the top US tennis players..Might be.. :)~ :)~

Good point, with the new technology, shots can be made harder and with sharp angles allowing players to get into offensive positions.
Players of the past had great skill but without the tech it was harder to come up with some of these shots being made now.

Fully agree :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up:

BTW: FED just received, for the third times in a row, the title of "CHAMPION DES CHAMPIONS" by the Equipe (The main sport newspaper of France..He is now at the same level of Michael Schumaker who also received this title three times in a row..

"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" Roger Federer.

We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, we can only be wise with our own wisdom

Offline Fedsuperfan

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #175 on: January 02, 2008, 07:32:01 AM »
Yeah TV, below is an article about the award.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080102/sp_wl_afp/tennisfrafedereraward_080102105852

Federer vows he has more to come

2 hours, 30 minutes ago

PARIS (AFP) - Roger Federer has warned would-be challengers that he intends to stay at the top for several years to come.
ADVERTISEMENT

Speaking to L'Equipe newspaper after being named as it's Champion of Champions for the third year running, the Swiss star said that at 26, he was injury-free and full of motivation.

"It's all to do with my preparation," he said. "The way that I train and get myself in top condition is very important.

"I have put the priority on longevity. I've always had an eye to the future and would like to continue playing as long as possible to play against as many generations as possible. I am in it for the long run."

A winner of three out of four Grand Slam titles in 2007, the Swiss player finished well ahead of American swimmer Michael Phelps and French world rally champion Sebastien Loeb in a vote by L'Equipe's journalists.

The only other sportsman to have won three times in succession was Formula 1 champion Michael Schumacher in 2001-2003.

Looking back over 2007, Federer said his greatest satisfaction came from matching Bjorn Borg's record of winning Wimbledon five times in a row by defeating Rafael Nadal in a pulsating five-sets final.

"It was an incredible match against Nadal - in front of Borg who was there, Connors also and McEnroe - everyone was there. It was a magical moment for me.

"It felt like moving into another dimension and that I was no longer just the best player in the world, but a kind of legend,

"Of course its bizarre to think of oneself as a legend, but that was the biggest moment of the year for me."

Turning to 2008, Federer said that winning a first French Open title was near the top of his list of priorities, but he said equalling and possibly passing Pete Sampras' record of 14 Grand Slam titles was even higher.

He is currently on 12 Grand Slam titles and a repeat of the last two years when on each occasion he won the Australian, Wimbledon and US Open titles would see him move ahead of the retired American.

Federer was speaking to L'Equipe in Dubai where he is preparing for the defence of his Australian Open title later this month
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 07:37:57 AM by Fedsuperfan »

Offline JadeFox21

• Tennis God
« Reply #176 on: January 02, 2008, 09:37:07 AM »
Thats fantastic JadeFox, that must be one of the very best moments you've experienced having Roger sign your cap, i can imagine you never ever take that cap out of your house since its so precious and rare. Great to hear you've been lucky enough to have your cap signed by Roger.  :)
It was a big moment because it was my first time seeing Roger play (in Miami).  We were at his practice and afterwards, he walked over to sign autographs like he always does.  I was the first person he signed for so my autograph is really clear (not just initials).  As soon as I got it home, I sprayed it with "Scotchguard" to protect it and NO...it does not leave the house, ha!  He also signed my Swiss flag the next day and a picture I had of him.  Last year in Miami, he signed my Feder-bear.  So, I've been pretty lucky.

And just for you, Chris....Maria Sharapova practiced before Roger a few times in Miami...so I've seen her upclose as well.  But she doesn't sign as long as Roger does so it is more difficult to get hers, I think.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #177 on: January 02, 2008, 10:48:09 AM »
It was a big moment because it was my first time seeing Roger play (in Miami).  We were at his practice and afterwards, he walked over to sign autographs like he always does.  I was the first person he signed for so my autograph is really clear (not just initials).  As soon as I got it home, I sprayed it with "Scotchguard" to protect it and NO...it does not leave the house, ha!  He also signed my Swiss flag the next day and a picture I had of him.  Last year in Miami, he signed my Feder-bear.  So, I've been pretty lucky.

And just for you, Chris....Maria Sharapova practiced before Roger a few times in Miami...so I've seen her upclose as well.  But she doesn't sign as long as Roger does so it is more difficult to get hers, I think.

What fantastic experiences youve had JadeFox having Roger sign a few of your things. you really are very lucky and sounds like in Miami theres great opportunity to get players autographs and see them up close. i msure youll agree it really is fascinating and a real treat when you see the players up close in practice. i had that experience a few times in Madrid and it was just awesome  :) Shame you havent  got Maria s autograph yet but maybe one year she will stay slightly longer and youll be able to get Maria's autograph. No wonder you never take your cap out of the house_ that is just absolutely priceless now  :)

Offline JadeFox21

• Tennis God
« Reply #178 on: January 02, 2008, 11:01:10 AM »
Chris, Miami is a great place to see the players upclose.  I've been very fortunate to see Roger practice many times there.  And you are right, watching practices is fantastic compared to sitting in a stadium and watching a real match.  You get to really see their technique.  TV does not do many of them justice - especially Roger.  I was shocked at the spin these guys put on the ball.

I would watch a practice over a real match any time!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #179 on: January 02, 2008, 11:18:52 AM »
So, if there is a drop in Fed's game we can blame it on Jadefox who apparently hogs all of Fed's time for her many autographs!   :)~ :rofl_2: