Author Topic: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!  (Read 841284 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Re: Quotes on Roger Federer
« Reply #240 on: January 17, 2008, 09:58:17 PM »
more from santoro: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7193182.stm

Santoro was full of praise for Federer, saying: "In November I beat Andy Roddick. I beat Novak Djokovic. I'm able to play some good tennis against the top guys.

"But it felt like he was coming from somewhere else.

"I was trying many things. I did quite a lot of topspin forehand - it didn't help. I served quite good - it didn't help.

"And when I hit some unbelievable passing shots, there was no space. The only space was out of the court. Everything is perfect in his game. Everything."

A lot of players say things like that. Last year Davydenko said he didn't know how Roger makes some of those shots. ( I think he said Rog got lucky too ).   :)

Yea, he stole that line from Vitas.  But it was Gonzalez at the Master's Cup when he beat him in the RR for the first time.  But Roger came back and won the whole title while Gonzo didn't even make it out of the RR round! ;-()

Yea I remember that "lucky" comment.  He should know... afterall, Roger has been lucky against him by having a 11-0 lucky lifetime record against him. :rofl_2:

LOL.
Who's that guy who got beat by Roger something like 10 times in a row then he finally beat Fed.
After the match he said " NOBODY beats me 11 times in a row!!".   :rofl_2:

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #241 on: January 17, 2008, 10:49:45 PM »

Santoro was full of praise for Federer, saying: "In November I beat Andy Roddick. I beat Novak Djokovic. I'm able to play some good tennis against the top guys.

"I was trying many things. I did quite a lot of topspin forehand - it didn't help. I served quite good - it didn't help.

"And when I hit some unbelievable passing shots, there was no space. The only space was out of the court. Everything is perfect in his game. Everything."

A lot of players say things like that. Last year Davydenko said he didn't know how Roger makes some of those shots. ( I think he said Rog got lucky too ).   :)

Yea, he stole that line from Vitas.  But it was Gonzalez at the Master's Cup when he beat him in the RR for the first time.  But Roger came back and won the whole title while Gonzo didn't even make it out of the RR round! ;-()

Yea I remember that "lucky" comment.  He should know... afterall, Roger has been lucky against him by having a 11-0 lucky lifetime record against him. :rofl_2:

LOL.
Who's that guy who got beat by Roger something like 10 times in a row then he finally beat Fed.

So Andy still has a chance.  :worthy:

Offline TheBull

• Tennis God
« Reply #242 on: January 17, 2008, 10:54:10 PM »

LOL.

Andy might say nobody beats me 30 times in a row..  :innocent:

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #243 on: January 17, 2008, 11:14:14 PM »

LOL.

:lmao: Oh, you've got jokes huh?? I guess Federer can say, "No one beats me 25 times in a row at the French Open." :))

Offline TheBull

• Tennis God
« Reply #244 on: January 18, 2008, 12:50:59 AM »

LOL.

:lmao: Oh, you've got jokes huh?? I guess Federer can say, "No one beats me 25 times in a row at the French Open." :))

Naah your sentence is technically wrong.. !  ;-()

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #245 on: January 18, 2008, 02:48:12 AM »

LOL.

Hi swish it was Gonzo after beating FED at the master..And he was right: the H2H is 10-1 now, i.e.

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/headtohead/default.asp?playernum1=G415&playernum2=F324

Still, historically, the first guy to use this expression was Vitas Gerulaitis. Indeed, the man had a real poor record against Borg:

Borg had an official H2H against vitas of 16-0 (details here: http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/headtohead/default.asp?playernum1=G008&playernum2=B058).

But, after Borg (early, too early :( :( ) exit they did once an exhibition in which Vitas managed to win ..

And his comment was just this one: No one beats me 17 times in a row :rofl_2: :rofl_2:...

BTW: the most interesting match between the two was the following semi at Wimbledon in 1977:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/wimbledon_history/3742097.stm

Great match..I still remember it (at least some parts I was a child  :rofl_2:)

So even if the H2H is really one sided this did not prevent to have some great matches..something like, IMO, the AROD FED story ..-) ..-)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 02:50:39 AM by TennisVeritas »
"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" Roger Federer.

We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, we can only be wise with our own wisdom

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #246 on: January 18, 2008, 04:47:31 AM »

LOL.

Hi swish it was Gonzo after beating FED at the master..And he was right: the H2H is 10-1 now, i.e.

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/headtohead/default.asp?playernum1=G415&playernum2=F324

Still, historically, the first guy to use this expression was Vitas Gerulaitis. Indeed, the man had a real poor record against Borg:

Borg had an official H2H against vitas of 16-0 (details here: http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/headtohead/default.asp?playernum1=G008&playernum2=B058).

But, after Borg (early, too early :( :( ) exit they did once an exhibition in which Vitas managed to win ..

And his comment was just this one: No one beats me 17 times in a row :rofl_2: :rofl_2:...

BTW: the most interesting match between the two was the following semi at Wimbledon in 1977:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/wimbledon_history/3742097.stm

Great match..I still remember it (at least some parts I was a child  :rofl_2:)

So even if the H2H is really one sided this did not prevent to have some great matches..something like, IMO, the AROD FED story ..-) ..-)

yeah, that was big time funny!!  :))

Offline JadeFox21

• Tennis God
« Reply #247 on: January 18, 2008, 10:49:44 AM »
Vitas Gerulaitis actually said that very famous line after finally beating Jimmy Connors - not Borg.  He never beat Borg.
Addicted to the Fed Express

Offline Fedsuperfan

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #248 on: January 18, 2008, 11:01:29 AM »
"I just lost to Baghdatis. We're not talking about Roger Federer. Roger Federer is a different level person, different level player. I feel like he's coming from somewhere else."
Marat Safin is a fully paid-up member of the Federer fan club. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7195285.stm

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #249 on: January 19, 2008, 12:10:09 PM »
Vitas Gerulaitis actually said that very famous line after finally beating Jimmy Connors - not Borg.  He never beat Borg.

JadeFox21 you are right and I am wrong, i.e. here a link that confirms your view:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitas_Gerulaitis#Quote

Sorry for that..Still, I am pretty sure Vitas had finally a win against Borg in an Exo..But, might be I am wrong..
"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" Roger Federer.

We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, we can only be wise with our own wisdom

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #250 on: January 19, 2008, 02:01:36 PM »
don't think I have contributed anything here. and I still don't have anything, but here's a part of the federer interview I thought was funny:

Q. Tipsarevic just said he's reading for the third time The Idiot of Dostojevski.

ROGER FEDERER: What?

Q. It's a book called The Idiot. I ask you which book are you reading?
ROGER FEDERER: I don't know. Maybe his, once he's done. I'm not reading any books at the moment. I've got homework to do.

---------

:rofl_2: I've got homework to do! He needs to win some more slams before he settles down with a book. Awesome Fed :D

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #251 on: January 19, 2008, 02:11:44 PM »
don't think I have contributed anything here. and I still don't have anything, but here's a part of the federer interview I thought was funny:

Q. Tipsarevic just said he's reading for the third time The Idiot of Dostojevski.

ROGER FEDERER: I don't know. Maybe his, once he's done. I'm not reading any books at the moment. I've got homework to do.

---------

:rofl_2: I've got homework to do! He needs to win some more slams before he settles down with a book. Awesome Fed :D

Apparently Tips has a tatoo of a line from Dostojevski. Guess he likes him.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #252 on: January 19, 2008, 02:16:52 PM »

---------

I suppose. Sorta a strange guy but cool I guess, different, interesting. I don't usually like people with peircings but I don't mind Tipsy cuz he takes it all the way further with the tattoos and everything, its not like just an ear pierced or something. IF that makes sense..

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #253 on: January 19, 2008, 02:23:56 PM »

---------

I suppose. Sorta a strange guy but cool I guess, different, interesting. I don't usually like people with peircings but I don't mind Tipsy cuz he takes it all the way further with the tattoos and everything, its not like just an ear pierced or something. IF that makes sense..

Nope. None whatsoever

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline xartiex

• Tennis God
« Reply #254 on: January 19, 2008, 02:37:56 PM »

---------
is this from his post-match interview? If so, is there a transcript or link for this? Thanks.

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #255 on: January 19, 2008, 03:05:20 PM »
Tipsarevic after Federer match...

Some very interesting remarks and even some hints about how beat Roger:

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #256 on: January 19, 2008, 03:31:43 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctOpFWdPLfw

I'm almost tempted to accuse you of a Scooter Skim there TV! It's already been posted by barbadosan  :)

Offline barbadosan

• Tennis God
« Reply #257 on: January 19, 2008, 03:37:46 PM »

I'm almost tempted to accuse you of a Scooter Skim there TV! It's already been posted by barbadosan  :)

LOL. I was just about to hang my head for not checking here, thinking I had duplicated TV's post.... he prob did the same thing I did in reverse - post in one thread and then went to read another.. :)

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #258 on: January 19, 2008, 03:39:19 PM »

LOL. I was just about to hang my head for not checking here, thinking I had duplicated TV's post.... he prob did the same thing I did in reverse - post in one thread and then went to read another.. :)

Sorry TV, now I'm Scooter Skimming. You beat barbadosan to it by 20 minutes  :)~

Offline barbadosan

• Tennis God
« Reply #259 on: January 19, 2008, 03:41:14 PM »
This is from my "Best Of the Press - in case you missed it" file:

Federer's dramatic win an ominous sign for the field

Roger Federer has the ability to absorb everything that's thrown his way. Janko Tipsarevic was determined from the first point of this match to give everything he had. His effort vs. Roger was similar to the players in the recent past who have given Federer fits. Tipsarevic approached this match much in the way Rafael Nadal and David Nalbandian have when facing the world No. 1. He ambitiously attacked from both wings and held serve consistently.

Tipsarevic's ability to maintain aggression with his serve and then immediately back it up with fierce groundstrokes was instrumental. With this quick one-two offensive approach, the unheralded Serb kept Federer on the defensive. Subsequently, Roger had trouble keeping the ball deep and wasn't able to control the baseline. Tipsarevic stood toe-to-toe with perhaps the great player of all time, ending points quickly and abruptly.

Federer, though, deserves ample credit for coming through. It's a tribute to his fitness that when pushed to the brink, he doesn't let up. Throughout the match's entirety, Federer never lost a step, his shots did not deteriorate and his feet never slowed.

When a player fatigues, his lower body gives way; he doesn't have the energy or fortitude to push up from the legs and core as much. Federer, even deep into the fifth set, stayed low and his legs did not give out at any point. He can survive these matches because he is in tip-top shape.

The length and stress of this match will not hamper Federer moving forward. The more opportunity he gets to hit, the more he'll hone his game -- having not played a single match entering the Australian Open. This Swiss maestro is not an out-of-shape veteran who can't withstand the longevity of matches. Having come through on the precipice of going down in his last two five set matches -- the Wimbledon final vs. Nadal in '07 and Tipsarevic -- without breaking a sweat just instills more fear into his opponents. Did you even see a beat of perspiration coming from him? Tipsarevic played his heart out, but he was sweating bullets, constantly changing his shirts and shorts. Roger was gliding.

What do you think the rest of the field is thinking now? They may not tell you, but his presence liquidates a lot of their hope. Not one player in the locker room, or sitting in their hotel room, wasn't praying for Tipsarevic to pull through.

What Federer accomplished, pulling out a match separated by only a few points, is one of the most grueling physical and mental tasks a player can endure. Look at Andy Roddick. He played a near flawless match. He was serving his heart out, but in the end, he's not around to see the fourth round. There was never a moment in this match that Federer didn't believe he would come through.

Hopefully these dramatics will silence some of the critics who have maligned Federer for not having to pull out tough, down-to-the-wire matches. His legacy is only amplified by the effortless nature in which he dispels the opposition. If you're not on your honor's game, Federer beats the living garbage out of you. His win vs. Tipsarevic was thrilling and only heightened the mental toughness that is as much a part of his repertoire as any shot in his arsenal. But Federer's legacy, right now, is the fashion is which he beats and buries his opponents across the net.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/aus08/news/story?id=3204101