Author Topic: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!  (Read 830394 times)

Offline barbadosan

• Tennis God
Re: Quotes on Roger Federer
« Reply #260 on: January 19, 2008, 03:42:41 PM »
Tipsarevic after Federer match...

Some very interesting remarks and even some hints about how beat Roger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctOpFWdPLfw

I'm almost tempted to accuse you of a Scooter Skim there TV! It's already been posted by barbadosan  :)

LOL. I was just about to hang my head for not checking here, thinking I had duplicated TV's post.... he prob did the same thing I did in reverse - post in one thread and then went to read another.. :)

Sorry TV, now I'm Scooter Skimming. You beat barbadosan to it by 20 minutes  :)~

Well ok... now I officially hang my head. :))

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!
« Reply #261 on: January 19, 2008, 03:59:40 PM »
I've just been watching the Fed/Tip match replay. In the 5th set, score at 8 games each, Roger made an excellent shot and the commentator, I don't know which one SHOUTED... "HE'S MADE IT!" He was absolutely elated!  :rofl_2:  So much for having an impartial attitude while in the booth.  Obviously a Fed fan.  :rofl_2:

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #262 on: January 19, 2008, 04:16:27 PM »
I've just been watching the Fed/Tip match replay. In the 5th set, score at 8 games each, Roger made an excellent shot and the commentator, I don't know which one SHOUTED... "HE'S MADE IT!" He was absolutely elated!  :rofl_2:  So much for having an impartial attitude while in the booth.  Obviously a Fed fan.  :rofl_2:

I think I know the one you mean, the rally where Tipsarevic had a 2 smashes to win the point but Federer got back into it? The BBC commentators made a similar comment, but I think more out of amazement than joy.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #263 on: January 19, 2008, 05:49:13 PM »
Well that's one match that I don't really want to see again (although I did tape it to add to my collection) ;-()

The best part of the match to me was the 2nd set tie-break.  Roger was "Roger" in that tiebreak.  Oh, and of course the last point of the match too. :)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #264 on: January 19, 2008, 06:07:33 PM »
Well that's one match that I don't really want to see again (although I did tape it to add to my collection) ;-()

The best part of the match to me was the 2nd set tie-break.  Roger was "Roger" in that tiebreak.  Oh, and of course the last point of the match too. :)

So you aren't happy unless Federer is crushing his opponents? Maybe he should drop down to the challenger level and compete there so you don't have a heart attack.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #265 on: January 19, 2008, 06:15:16 PM »

Yeah, I dont think this is a match that I would watch again. Federer playing D level tennis with no offense, and struggling. Its like one of those clay court finals. Glad he won though.

Is it the surface thats causing trouble?? or is it Fed just being lazy and underestimated the guy??   Dont take me wrong, Tips played well, but I still felt that if Fed was on, he would have won in straight sets.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #266 on: January 19, 2008, 06:17:57 PM »

Yeah, I dont think this is a match that I would watch again. Federer playing D level tennis with no offense, and struggling. Its like one of those clay court finals. Glad he won though.

Is it the surface thats causing trouble?? or is it Fed just being lazy and underestimated the guy??   Dont take me wrong, Tips played well, but I still felt that if Fed was on, he would have won in straight sets.

Well in this interview, even Roger said he didn't feel 'right' at the beginning of the match and that it took over 2 sets for him to really get into the match too.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/ver/251.6/popup/index.php?cl=6006548&t=em&sid=0

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #267 on: January 19, 2008, 06:20:46 PM »

So you aren't happy unless Federer is crushing his opponents? Maybe he should drop down to the challenger level and compete there so you don't have a heart attack.

Very funny! :)~  But I do like watching the "crushing' type victories that Roger normally puts on people because usually those type matches showcase his talent and shotmaking!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #268 on: January 19, 2008, 06:26:40 PM »

Very funny! :)~  But I do like watching the "crushing' type victories that Roger normally puts on people because usually those type matches showcase his talent and shotmaking!

i dont think you realize what you are saying. you have seen him crush people for 4 years running now. dont you think its time you found out what he is really made of. it is duffuculties that reveal to us what we are really made of.

would you like to see him beat nadal at a french open final or fabrice santoro?

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #269 on: January 19, 2008, 06:28:19 PM »

Well in this interview, even Roger said he didn't feel 'right' at the beginning of the match and that it took over 2 sets for him to really get into the match too.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/ver/251.6/popup/index.php?cl=6006548&t=em&sid=0

Thanks for that interview Dallas :H  Well, I guess its for his good and helps more with his confidence.
Hope he will start focusing more and bring his A game from now on.

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #270 on: January 19, 2008, 06:36:48 PM »

barbadosan, thanks for posting the interview with Tips after the match. He did mention that he came with a game plan, and that he talked with Djoker about strategy.

Well, in my opinion, I think Federer at one point became too predictable with his return game. He was trying to slice everytime, and Tips was very well prepared for it. But, if you notice that when Fed mixed up his return game a bit, with some flat hitting and also slices, he was more successful. 

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #271 on: January 19, 2008, 07:59:21 PM »

i dont think you realize what you are saying. you have seen him crush people for 4 years running now. dont you think its time you found out what he is really made of. it is duffuculties that reveal to us what we are really made of.

would you like to see him beat nadal at a french open final or fabrice santoro?
[/b]

Honestly - even if Agassi came back out of retirement and made the French Open final against Roger - I wouldn't care!  I just want a win for him against whomever he plays.  You can't do anything about who you meet in a final.  You just have to take care of business and win.  Can anyone remember (without cheating) who Agassi beat in his only French Open final?  It doesn't really matter, does it?  All you remember is that he is only 1 of the few to have a win at all the grand slams.  When Roger wins the French - they will remember that he won it - not so much who he had to play if it was Nadal or not!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #272 on: January 19, 2008, 08:18:58 PM »
A good interview. Thanks.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #273 on: January 19, 2008, 08:34:53 PM »
I hope someone posts that game in the video section.  :)

Lets face it, no one wins easy all the time and a game like Fed had today shows a lot about his game. He could have choked easily and no one would blame him.
He showed some strong determination at the end.

That game could have changed the whole season for Fed and some other top ranked players but he was able to focus on a off day, a very good and important win.

Like he said in the interview, he'll take some things from this match, what he needs to work on, his physical readiness, etc.

:cool:

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #274 on: January 19, 2008, 11:51:10 PM »

I didn't see it that way at all.........I think it was just excitement from a great point in a really tough situation.  I really like it when the commentators show that kind of excitement for great tennis points or shots......it adds to the viewing pleasure for me........just like a rowdy crowd also adds excitement. 

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #275 on: January 19, 2008, 11:53:47 PM »
I think Patrick McEnroe shows some preference, but how can you not as the American Davis Cup captain.  I do not mind it either, although weird to see them express it sometimes.  If I was an announcer I would slip up all the time.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #276 on: January 20, 2008, 12:02:48 AM »
I think Patrick McEnroe shows some preference, but how can you not as the American Davis Cup captain.  I do not mind it either, although weird to see them express it sometimes.  If I was an announcer I would slip up all the time.

I think PMac talks more about Andy and the rest of the Americans but lets remember this is US coverage we are watching so the matches they show most and the discussion also leans towards the Americans.  Cahill has been doing the same thing with Hewitt.  Pmac is also quite critical of Andy and Blake's weaknesses as well during this coverage we speak of. 

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #277 on: January 20, 2008, 12:06:50 AM »

I think PMac talks more about Andy and the rest of the Americans but lets remember this is US coverage we are watching so the matches they show most and the discussion also leans towards the Americans.  Cahill has been doing the same thing with Hewitt.  Pmac is also quite critical of Andy and Blake's weaknesses as well during this coverage we speak of. 

He usually put on his Davis Cup captain hat when he's talking about their games. But he does gush over Federer. With good reason.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #278 on: January 20, 2008, 02:59:30 PM »
I thought this was funny:

Federer wins over fans Down Under
Opponents and Australians alike have nothing but affection for Swiss star

Federer is also an ace off the court, as a prematch gibe he made to his friend Santoro in the locker room suggests.

Santoro stubbed his left pinkie finger warming up and was putting ice on it when Federer noticed and  said to him, "Oh, oh, you're off to a bad start."

:rofl_2:  Maybe that was a clue that Santoro should have stayed at home that day.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #279 on: January 20, 2008, 03:05:07 PM »
I thought this was funny:

Federer wins over fans Down Under
Opponents and Australians alike have nothing but affection for Swiss star

Federer is also an ace off the court, as a prematch gibe he made to his friend Santoro in the locker room suggests.

Santoro stubbed his left pinkie finger warming up and was putting ice on it when Federer noticed and  said to him, "Oh, oh, you're off to a bad start."

:rofl_2:  Maybe that was a clue that Santoro should have stayed at home that day.

Great quick and ominus warning that from Fed  :)) I love his witty and quick humour he comes up with  :cool:
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!