Author Topic: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!  (Read 848331 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Re: Quotes on Roger Federer
« Reply #280 on: January 20, 2008, 03:42:47 PM »
I thought this was funny:

Federer wins over fans Down Under
Opponents and Australians alike have nothing but affection for Swiss star

Federer is also an ace off the court, as a prematch gibe he made to his friend Santoro in the locker room suggests.

Santoro stubbed his left pinkie finger warming up and was putting ice on it when Federer noticed and  said to him, "Oh, oh, you're off to a bad start."

:rofl_2:  Maybe that was a clue that Santoro should have stayed at home that day.

Great quick and ominus warning that from Fed  :)) I love his witty and quick humour he comes up with  :cool:
[/b]

Too bad a lot of folks don't ever see it! ;-()

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #281 on: January 20, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
I thought this was funny:

Federer wins over fans Down Under
Opponents and Australians alike have nothing but affection for Swiss star

Federer is also an ace off the court, as a prematch gibe he made to his friend Santoro in the locker room suggests.

Santoro stubbed his left pinkie finger warming up and was putting ice on it when Federer noticed and  said to him, "Oh, oh, you're off to a bad start."

:rofl_2:  Maybe that was a clue that Santoro should have stayed at home that day.

Great quick and ominus warning that from Fed  :)) I love his witty and quick humour he comes up with  :cool:
[/b]

Too bad a lot of folks don't ever see it! ;-()

It really is because Roger's witty, funny and one of the most genuine guys you'll wish to see in the media spotlight in my eyes. For me he is the perfect number 1 both on and off the court for our game! Just an absolute class act in all departments  :king:
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #282 on: January 23, 2008, 07:09:50 PM »

Dallas, Is there Fed postmatch interview clip anywhere after his win against Blake??

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #283 on: January 23, 2008, 07:13:35 PM »

Dallas, Is there Fed postmatch interview clip anywhere after his win against Blake??

Yes, I posted it in the ATP thread.  Here it is:

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 07:14:33 PM by Dallas »

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #284 on: January 23, 2008, 07:31:09 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0d6od1T9F0

Thanks Dallas. :H

Its funny to hear him say that, he likes watching Rafa, rather than playing against him. I doubt he will say anything like that about anybody else. Its a true compliment to Nadal from Fed :H

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #285 on: January 23, 2008, 07:41:58 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0d6od1T9F0

Thanks Dallas. :H

Its funny to hear him say that, he likes watching Rafa, rather than playing against him. I doubt he will say anything like that about anybody else. Its a true compliment to Nadal from Fed :H

Yea, I caught that.  I think Courier is a great interviewer...

Offline Fedsuperfan

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #286 on: January 29, 2008, 05:12:00 AM »
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20080129/sport/vultures-circle-over-federer-as-new-champ-is-crowned

Roger Rasheed, Former Lleyton Hewitt coach, commenting after Roger's defeat to Djokovic in AO 2008.

"I think we just see one result, then decide to paint a certain picture, but I still think that Roger is the best player I have ever seen and he will go down as the all-time greatest," Rasheed said.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #287 on: January 30, 2008, 09:29:04 AM »
Federer gets top marks from Laver, the fan!!! :)

By Mark Lamport-Stokes

LOS ANGELES, Jan 30 (Reuters) - Australia's Rod Laver, widely considered to be the best player in history, says his greatest pleasure as a tennis spectator has come from watching current world number one Roger Federer.

Although the Swiss is yet to win a French Open title to give him the full set of all four grand slam crowns, his elegant positioning on court marks him out as extra special, according to Laver.

"I certainly know from the tennis side of it just how much talent that Federer has got," Laver, a 69-year-old who won 11 grand slam titles, told Reuters.

"His court coverage and anticipation are uncanny and make him different from anybody else out there. He's never out of position and has a knack of knowing what he hits will determine what's coming back, and he knows what's coming back.

"And so it becomes a simple game for him. Plus he's got all the strokes anyway and his service has improved a lot from a year ago."

Federer's failure, so far, to clinch the French Open at Roland Garros does not undermine his credentials to be bracketed among the game's elite in Laver's opinion.

"I am sure he's disappointed that it hasn't happened yet," said the Australian, the only player in history to have twice achieved a calendar sweep of all four grand slam titles.

"He could have just about won it last year and of course he would have won without (Rafael) Nadal hanging around out there because it's uncanny how good he is on clay."

Claycourt supremo Nadal beat Federer 6-3 4-6 6-3 6-4 in the 2007 French Open final, ending his opponent's bid to join American Don Budge and Laver as the only men to hold all four majors at the same time.

UNBELIEVABLY GOOD

"Both players are unbelievably good on hardcourts and then on clay the other person is near-perfect," added Laver, speaking during last week's Buick Invitational golf tournament at La Jolla, California.

"In his own mind, Federer's probably not (ranked among the very best) for anything other than his pride of being able to win on all surfaces. I don't know whether anyone owns the right to the best of all time."

After his French Open disappointment last year, Federer went on to triumph at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open to move within two of Pete Sampras's record 14 grand slam titles.

However, his bid to reach an 11th consecutive grand slam final was extinguished by Serbian Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals of this month's Australian Open.

Laver, a left-hander who was technically faultless and completed the calendar grand slam as an amateur in 1962 and as a professional in 1969, also relished watching Steffi Graf when she dominated the women's game.

"I put her down as one of the great performers who always seemed to play well under pressure," he said of the German, a winner of 22 grand slam titles between 1987 and 1999.

"She could fight until she won, even if she was playing badly.

"She had that 'I-am-going-to-win-this-match' type of attitude. Her mental strength was a trap for virtually all of her opponents when they thought they had her in trouble."

Asked which player from his own era particularly impressed him, Laver replied: "Lew Hoad. He pretty much stood out, and mainly because of his strength.

"He just had so much power in his game. And it was down to timing. Although he could slow it right down, the art of timing the ball is knowing exactly when you make contact and that's where Hoad stood out."

Australian Hoad won the first three grand slam titles of 1956 before losing to compatriot Ken Rosewall in the final of that year's U.S. Open. He died after a heart attack in 1994. (Editing by John O'Brien)
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #288 on: January 30, 2008, 01:20:08 PM »

Cahill says not to write off Federer:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23134903-11088,00.html

Dont write off Roger Federer

Jim Wilson

January 31, 2008 12:00am

TWELVE-TIME grand slam winner Roger Federer will win another six majors and is far from a spent force in men's tennis after losing the Australian Open semi-final.

That is the ominous warning from Australian Davis Cup coach Darren Cahill, who said it was premature to write off the "Fed Express".

Cahill, who coached Andre Agassi and Lleyton Hewitt, said Federer would bounce back, beginning at the one grand slam title to elude him, the French Open.

"He's the best that I've seen and it would be extremely foolish to say Roger is gone and on the slide," Cahill said.

"He missed out (in Melbourne) this time, but he can win at least six more grand slam titles."

There have been question marks raised over Federer since his Australian Open semi-final loss to eventual champion Novak Djokovic on Friday night.

But Cahill said Federer would surpass Pete Sampras's record of 14 grand slam singles titles.

"He's in a class of his own and deserves the record," Cahill said. "I won't say he's the greatest because he hasn't won the French yet. Roger must win in Paris and he has the game to do it on clay."

But Cahill said Hewitt's chances of winning another grand slam title were dwindling.

"It is just going to be a real challenge for Lleyton and it will be difficult," Cahill said.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #289 on: January 30, 2008, 07:13:07 PM »
http://www.pbase.com/bagsjr/federer_visits_nike_campus

Guess Roger is doing ok... He was in the US yesterday? ..at the Nike Camp.  Of course, $130 million contract will cure a lot of things! :rofl_2:

The person who took the pic (a Nike employee) wrote:

"I watched him play wii tennis and Q&A session with Mr. Knight. Nicest guy ever."

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #290 on: January 30, 2008, 08:46:44 PM »

Thanks Dallas for posting that info about Federer. Good to know what he is doing.

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #291 on: January 31, 2008, 12:40:19 AM »
http://www.pbase.com/bagsjr/federer_visits_nike_campus

Guess Roger is doing ok... He was in the US yesterday? ..at the Nike Camp.  Of course, $130 million contract will cure a lot of things! :rofl_2:

The person who took the pic (a Nike employee) wrote:

"I watched him play wii tennis and Q&A session with Mr. Knight. Nicest guy ever."

Thanks a lot Dallas for thuis update: Always a great pleasure to see him (he seems very happy and relaxed..Great)...BTW: did you notice? Mirka is already "classified" as his WIFE.. :rofl_2: :rofl_2:...Nike is fast  :rofl_2: :rofl_2:
"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" Roger Federer.

We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, we can only be wise with our own wisdom

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" Roger Federer.

We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, we can only be wise with our own wisdom

Offline LionShipper

• Tennis Player
« Reply #293 on: January 31, 2008, 02:17:24 PM »

Hey, guys! I'm new here. Huge Roger fan from Brazil. And I can already compliment you JadeFox for a great post on page 15.  :)

I just wanted to say something that has been stuck in my throat... Ithink Roger gets his unfair "fame" as arrogant because sometimes he speaks his mind without fake modesty. So this kind of honest behaviour often gets mistaken for arrogance. From my part, I think he's a great guy (from what I can tell, without having met him) and, needless to say (IMHO), the most talented tennis player ever to grace a court. I cheer for him even against my fellow Brazilian players (did so at RG 2004) because as an admirer of the sport and a player myself, Roger embodies "tennis book" perfection, and to me this transcends patriotisms.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 02:19:12 PM by LionShipper »
Roger IS the king :king:, and I'll always follow the Federer Express. :first-place:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #294 on: January 31, 2008, 02:22:04 PM »
Thats a good point where is JadeFox I haven't seen her for ages, must have been even a bit before Roger's defeat and Maria's win  :yahoo: and they seem a bit back now. Hope to hear from Jade soon!
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #295 on: January 31, 2008, 08:16:08 PM »

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #296 on: January 31, 2008, 08:38:16 PM »

Thanks for that post swish. Its good to hear from Fed :H

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #297 on: January 31, 2008, 10:56:54 PM »
This is one of the best threads on this forum to me! :grind dance: :trampoline: :thumbs-up: :applause:  Keep it going!

Here's an interview that Roger just did with a radio station in New York:

http://www.wfan.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=1385361

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 11:18:57 PM by Dallas »

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #298 on: February 01, 2008, 06:43:01 AM »
Dallas for you then. Rafa on FED after AO:

"The people are exaggerating and the press is cruel and demanding. Federer has spent four or five years as a number one and you can not ask for more. This man is a monster. :rofl_2: He lost in the semi-finals, not the first round, after eleven consecutive finals in Grand Slams. "

Details here: http://tennisplanet.wordpress.com/2008/01/31/nadal-defends-federer-from-jenny-thanks/

Offline Tuulia

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #299 on: February 01, 2008, 07:39:42 AM »
Dallas for you then. Rafa on FED after AO:

"The people are exaggerating and the press is cruel and demanding. Federer has spent four or five years as a number one and you can not ask for more. This man is a monster. :rofl_2: He lost in the semi-finals, not the first round, after eleven consecutive finals in Grand Slams. "

Details here: http://tennisplanet.wordpress.com/2008/01/31/nadal-defends-federer-from-jenny-thanks/

I think that doesn't look quite the same in English... that's a direct translation from Spanish "monstruo" and it's not funny in Spanish. Basically he's saying that Roger is very, very good. :)

El número dos del mundo defendió de las críticas al número uno, el suizo Roger Federer, tras su eliminación en semifinales del Open de Australia ante Novak Djokovic. "La gente es muy exagerada y la prensa cruel y exigente. Federer lleva cuatro o cinco años como numero uno y no se le puede pedir más. Este hombre es un monstruo. Ha perdido en semifinales, no en primera ronda, después de once finales seguidas de Grand Slam".

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/tenis/es/desarrollo/1084014.html