Author Topic: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!  (Read 819748 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Looks like his favorite surface is 'clay' and he played most of these in the challenger circuit.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Un/A/Adrian-Ungur.aspx?t=mr

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Wow, talk about easy draw!
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Not easy sure enough, but Tommy and Fed will go through the final I'm sure  :)~
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Not easy sure enough, but Tommy and Fed will go through the final I'm sure  :)~

Hey, I wouldn't mind that! :rofl_2:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

May 30th, 2012

Roger Federer Has Now Won More Grand Slam Matches Than Anyone In Tennis History
by Tom Gainey   

Roger Federer continues to rewrite the record books. Today, with a four-set win over Adrian Unger, Federer moved ahead of Jimmy Connors for most all-time Grand Slam singles match wins at 234. And Federer did it at age 30!

According to ITF records, here are the only menís players to have won 200 or more Grand Slam matches in their careers, a list Federer now sits atop of:

1. Federer 234-35
2. Connors 233-49
3. Agassi 224-53
4. Lendl 229-49
5. Emerson 217-48
6. Sampras 203-38

And after his first round first round victory Monday, Federer won his 50th career match at the French Open making the Swiss the only player to have 50+ wins at all four Slams.

Federer will now play the Martin Klizan-Nicolas Mahut winner on Friday in the third round.
http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2012-05-30/9704.php

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
For as long as Roger Federerís serve was looking a little rocky, Nicolas Mahut was in with a chance in their third round encounter on day six of Roland Garros 2012. Unfortunately for Mahut, that wasnít long enough. Federerís misfires helped the world no.89 take a set from the Swiss for the first time in four career meetings, but Federer was not held up for very long. He took control again to win 6-3, 4-6, 6-2, 7-5 in 2 hrs 37 minutes.

Mahut kicked off the match solidly, but at 3-2 on serve Federer broke to love, with the Frenchman putting a weak backhand in the net. Moments later Federer held to love to take the set by the throat. Mahut looked stunned Ė one moment it was on serve, the next it was 2-5. After Mahut held, Federer brought up two set points with a straightforward forehand. His opponent sent his return long and the set was done in 29 minutes.

Misfiring Federer

Instead of folding, Mahut dug in. He was helped by Federerís serve not firing on full blast, and this time the 30-year-old Frenchman kept pace. Suddenly at 4-5 a Federer double fault gave 30-all, and when the Swiss sent a forehand wide it was set point. Mahut placed his backhand return for a clean winner.

But ultimately the one set was all Federer allowed him. Normal service resumed in the third set. At 1-1 Mahut somehow saved three break points but then double-faulted to gift a fourth, before half-volleying into the net. Federer punished him further with a perfect lob to secure the second break for 4-1, and closed out the set 6-2.

At 2-3 on serve in the fourth Federer calmly saved a break point, and a moment later grabbed a break of his own for 4-3. But Mahut delivered a perfect drop shot to set up another break point; and his return left Federer with nowhere to go. They were back on serve.

Back on track

It was always likely Federer would make his class pay, and so it was at 5-5 as a pair of exquisite crosscourt backhand passes set the Swiss on his way to a break point that he won with a punishing forehand drive. Rocket Roger was never going to let a 6-5 lead slip, and he served out for the match.

In the last 16 Federer will play Belgiumís David Goffin, a lucky loser from qualifying, who beat Lukasz Kubot for his place in the fourth round.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Highlights from Roger's Mahut match today:

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/multimedia/index.html

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
I was surely glad Roger won! Mahut was mixing it up very well, attacking the net and exploiting any weakness shown by Roger.. This match showed the reasons why 'serve and volley' is a fraught strategy on the surface - watching Roger pass Mahut time and again left a bad taste in my mouth -  I guess I can't help feeling the roles will be reversed when Roger faces off with Nole or Rafa.. The confounding thing is imagining how Roger can out-hit/out-manoeuvre the 2 hombres from the baseline on this surface.. :(

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
R. FEDERER/D. Goffin 5‑7, 7‑5, 6‑2, 6‑4

ROGER FEDERER

Q. In terms of players who have made a first impression on you, where would you rate David Goffin?

ROGER FEDERER: I thought he played really well. Great impression. You know, he took the ball early every time. Donít hit a very good shot, he can take advantage of that.

I guess for his size and, you know, heís not the heaviest guy out there, itís natural heís gonna be a good mover, and his strengths lie sort of in the baseline game, right? Thatís what he showed today. Heís got great potential in terms of his touch and the way he reads the game. I thought it was an interesting match.

Obviously in some ways I guess itís tough for me coming out not knowing exactly what his favorite patterns are in the game, the way he serves, when he does what.

But, no, he impressed me, and I enjoyed the match today.

Q. What was the most impressive thing about him, if you had to give one thing?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I think what I mentioned. I gave many compliments, but I can keep on going. Itís not a problem for me.

Obviously the way he ‑‑ you know, I think he takes a backhand early and he absorbs pace really well, as well, from the baseline.

You know, I had a very hard time getting control from the baseline. Obviously the wind wasnít helping, and maybe I wasnít playing all that great early on, but that was due also to his great playing.

Q. At one moment I had the impression that ‑‑ it reminded me a little bit of your match against Pete Sampras in 2001 at Wimbledon. Did you have the same feeling while you were playing?

ROGER FEDERER: For me it was more the Pat Rafter match here back in í99 when I got the wildcard into the main draw and I won the first set 7‑5. And when he won the first set 7‑5, it was like, okay, well, now Iím supposed to win in four sets, no problem. Like Pat Rafter back then.

He pushed much harder and further than I did. I lost, you know, without any chance in the second, third, and fourth. But he really had a big chance. In that second set, obviously he was getting a bit tired, which is natural.

But you always get a second wind sometimes in best‑of‑five set matches. Rain could have been in the area, so I had to really make sure I take advantage of his maybe minor slump, and ‑‑ but, you know, he stayed dangerous till the very end, so Iím happy Iím through.

Q. I know itís difficult to predict, but with your experience, where can he go from here?

ROGER FEDERER: It is very hard to predict. Letís put it that way. But what I enjoy very much about this story, about David and the way he played today, itís nice to see someone do it at a Grand Slam again for a change again, because back in the day we were used to seeing Becker winning Wimbledon, Chang winning the French Open at very young ages, even in the womenís game. It just doesnít happen so often anymore.
So I guess thatís also why we have this magnitude. We had many, many players ten years ago at 18, 19, 20, 21 who were making a lot of breakthroughs. My generation who are ‑‑ most of them still are playing.
And I think he can go very far, you know. But itís week in, week out, different surfaces, and different matchups maybe. Who knows? Maybe I do match up well for him. Maybe I donít. I still havenít seen him enough. I wish he comes through. And heís very talented. And I hope he can make it to the top 20, you know. That would be great.

Q. Compared to the first days with such hot weather, how was the change today? How did you adapt to the wind?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah. I mean, look, first things, I was trying to focus on my own game. When I realized that wasnít really working, I tried to focus on my opponent. That wasnít working a whole lot, either. The wind was taking away my confidence. I really struggled for a long time out there.
Conditions are slow. I really feel itís not as fast as previous years. Itís hard to hit through the court. I think thatís just something Iím still getting used to. I canít believe Iím saying this after four rounds here, but I have played on a lot of faster courts the last few months, even Madrid, and then thereís night sessions in Rome and Madrid. I donít know if I just play different.

So Iím happy Iím in the tournament and giving myself another chance in a couple of days.

Q. As you said, conditions were pretty tough today. You know, things slowed down, but then the ball stays lower. How would you describe your ideal conditions here? Or does it depend on who youíre facing?

ROGER FEDERER: I think so, yes. I think it depends on who you play, where your confidence is, the matchup, you know. You could be playing a guy youíve beaten 10 times in the past. Then it almost doesnít matter where youíre playing, you feel like you should win that next match.

But itís been a tough last couple of weeks. I have played guys Iíve almost never heard about and I donít know their patterns, and itís made things difficult for me.

But I have made it through, and Iíll definitely meet someone I know a lot better.

I say it every time. For me there is no favorite situation at the French Open here. Rain or sunshine or whatever it is, you have to be able to play in all conditions.

Today was a different day. Swirly winds and cooler conditions. Played slower. I donít mind the lower bounce, but when itís a higher bounce, it means itís faster, too.

Youíve just got to take it and use it to your advantage.

Q. Do you have any preference for Berdych or Del Potro? I know maybe Del Potro you know how to win him, what you demonstrated in your last matches.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, no preference. Yeah. No preference. Iím happy to give a short answer for a change. (Laughter).

Q. We are a little bit tired, because every day you beat a new record.

ROGER FEDERER: Whatís this one now? (Laughter).

Q. 36 quarterfinals in 52 slams, but this is the first time that somebody makes 32 quarterfinals consecutive in a slam, 32 in consecutive. Nobody has ever done. And you played 163 quarterfinals in 256 tournaments. Thatís also quite good.

ROGER FEDERER: Thank you. (Laughter).

Q. Congratulations. Any reaction to this?

ROGER FEDERER: I take anything that gives me confidence at this point. Anything.

Q. You are tied for third with 32 quarterfinals with Agassi.

ROGER FEDERER: There you go. Thank you very much for all the information. But you have to gives me the list, because I canít remember it all.

Q. To continue the joviality for those of us who werenít courtside, can you just repeat the repartee in the interview immediately post‑match?

ROGER FEDERER: What happened?

Q. Yeah, the interview. There was an interview on court.

ROGER FEDERER: There was, yes. Many. It was in French.

Q. People didnít understand.

ROGER FEDERER: Need to get the translator out. And thatís why Iím here. Normally they are sitting in the back and theyíre doing it all for you guys.

No, they asked me if I would do an interview with him. I think I did something similar a couple years ago with another player, as well. Maybe even on Lenglen. Iím not sure.

But, yeah, I mean, I guess the situation was a nice one, because he sort of idolized me back in the day, I think. I donít know after today.

But, anyway, it was just a nice story, I guess, and it was for the fans, you know, in that Suzanne Lenglen Court. I donít know if they show it on French TV, because I did the French TV afterwards. I guess that was just for the crowd more, because they really were excited about this match. They were into it from the first point on till the very end.

Yeah, there are some jokes made by him and by me, too. Then the crowd want us to sort of hug each other. And at the end, we did give each other a hug. Like men. (Laughter.)

It was all good. Everybody was happy, and we left the court. So that was it. I hope that made sense. I donít know. Donít go the wrong direction, though.

THE MODERATOR: French questions, please.

Q. Can you tell us about this first week? How do you feel? How do you feel about your level of play, also considering youíre having slow conditions and you need to adjust?

ROGER FEDERER: Yes, of course Iím very happy that I went through the first four rounds, because I may have thought that I was playing too different a game compared with my opponents, starting from the second round.

Physically I feel well. Iím not tired. I donít have any source of pain anywhere, so thatís very positive.

And regarding my level of play, everything is fine. Could be better. But, again, Iím still adjusting. Sometimes Iím not so sure. So I may miss something, but usually I prepare for the rest of the tournament.

And I suppose itís going to help me if, in the next round, I play somebody Iíve already played against several times. It will be a much more straightforward sort of match.

Del Potro or Berdych, I know them, I know the way they play on their backhand, I know how they serve, I know how they return. They have no secrets for me.

You know, sometimes you expect something, and when youíre the favorite, you end up thinking you are going to win, but you donít exactly know how youíre going to win. Thatís probably what made things more difficult during this particular match.

I almost lost today. It was a very tight match. So Iím very happy that Iím still here tonight.

Q. Did you talk to Goffin after the match? If yes, what did you say to each other?

ROGER FEDERER: No, we didnít meet again. Thatís it. Very simple. Nothing to add.

Q. Would you like to give him a piece of advice for the future?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I gave him some on the court after the match. Not during, obviously.

All in all, I think that he has many people, coaches and a full team around him, who are going to tell him what to do.

However, what matters is that he has a couple of people whom he trusts, and those are the people he needs to listen to. He should not listen to those who are going to try to jump on the train while itís already running. Then heís going to need to improve, and, you know, thereís no secret. You work hard. You improve.

Your talent is helpful up to a certain degree, but then it takes a bit of hard work.

You need to work on your basics, and Iím sure that thatís what heís going to do. And if he has any more questions, Iím available. Iím on the tour, so he knows where to find me.

Q. If you want to win the tournament, you need to improve, but you played the first set without any backhands. Are you going to organize a session, specific training sessions?

ROGER FEDERER: I practiced a lot yesterday and it didnít help, so maybe tomorrow Iím not going to practice. Obviously I know what to do (Laughter.)

What it boils down to is I prefer to play. Iím fine. No panic.

Q. Youíre not on the court to admire your opponents, but did he surprise you in a positive way? Do you think heís a future champion, Goffin?

ROGER FEDERER: Yes, of course, he can be a champion. But it takes weeks of hard labor. Maybe he can be very good for a couple of weeks and achieve a very good result, and then his career to be over.

Yes, I was impressed by the way he plays. I knew he was a good player, because I watched him play against Clement, but then when I realized how early he could strike the balls and I saw how he could find all the angles, crosscourt along the way, the way he moved, the way he anticipated, that was really nice to watch. Well, during the match, not so much, but now, on second thought, yes.

Q. In the end, David said that he had posters of you around his room when he was a kid. Do you feel older, the fact that he idolized you as a youth?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, no, not really. But it feels a bit strange. Thatís what I said during the previous press conference.

Iím not used to playing against an opponent who loves me or loves the way I play, loves me as a tennis player.

But, I mean, Iím aware that it had to happen someday, because it happened to me when I played against Sampras or people I admired, like Agassi. Although it was different, because I still played a one‑hand backhand. I missed Becker and Edberg, unfortunately, but I had a lot of fun during the very first years on the tour, so I suppose itís going to be exactly the same for him.

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
a bit insecure in times, but let's hope he can make it through the final  ;-()
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Well onto the grass.

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
I can't see how a change of scene will do Roger any good - the serve, ground strokes were poor against Djokovic - no surprise there - Djokovic being the best returner in the game. Still, to be broken so many times, so easily must have a psychological impact, even on a player as care-free as Federer.
The pundits had it right - Roger had stumbled through the FO draw - and did not look convincing at all. These Slam tourneys are looking at greater challenges with every passing tournament..
A SF appearance is par for Roger's ranking [#3] - which is not bad, for a 30 y/o.  :(

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
propstoart - you fail to see how switching to grass will benefit Roger?

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
Good to see Fed making to the semifinals at his age.

I hope he forgets this loss and plays well at wimbledon!

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
There were moments in the French Open, when Roger looked distracted, like he wanted to be somewhere else.. In today's ultra-competitive times, such lapses will be punished.. Last year, Roger got beat by Tsonga in the QFs.. I will be surprised if he betters that this time..
Its not like his game is at a good level, either.. Winning more of the points on serve will ease the scoreboard pressure on Roger, but the grass at Wimby is not exactly play electric in the 2nd week..
It will suit Roger's staccato playing style.. But, the Rafas and the Novaks will get his balls back and force him to rally; and from that point on, it is a matter of when, rather than if, his groundstrokes will 'break down'..

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
There were moments in the French Open, when Roger looked distracted, like he wanted to be somewhere else.. In today's ultra-competitive times, such lapses will be punished.. Last year, Roger got beat by Tsonga in the QFs.. I will be surprised if he betters that this time..
Its not like his game is at a good level, either.. Winning more of the points on serve will ease the scoreboard pressure on Roger, but the grass at Wimby is not exactly play electric in the 2nd week..
It will suit Roger's staccato playing style.. But, the Rafas and the Novaks will get his balls back and force him to rally; and from that point on, it is a matter of when, rather than if, his groundstrokes will 'break down'..

Federer used to be the king of baseline rallies, sad to see him 3rd best now. His forehand doesnt have the same zip/power as it used to and his movement is not the same either.

But, at his age, it is great to see him still competing with these young guns.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
I still see Roger capable of playing full-flight tennis, it just doesn't happen as often as 2005-2006.