Author Topic: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!  (Read 781841 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
From last week at the tournament in Germany:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Roger wins his first round match 61 61 61!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Highlights from Roger's match against Ramos:
Roger Federer Vs Albert Ramos HIGHLIGHTS ATP WIMBLEDON 2012

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
1st round cake walk for Pinky.  Storing up energy for week 2. :thumbs up:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
1st round cake walk for Pinky.  Storing up energy for week 2. :thumbs up:

:applause:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Home       About Racquet Reaction       Contact        RSS   Categories       Archive
Wimbledon: Federer d. Ramos    06/25/2012 - 1:23 PM

As fans erupted in applause, Mirka Federer stood and snapped shots of her husband, Roger Federer, arriving for a rare Court No. 1 appearance clad in a cashmere zip-neck sweater with sleeves pushed up at the elbows, suggesting a man eager to start his workday. A stylish man, at that. Federer then sent the day delivering a severe dress down to Wimbledon neophyte Albert Ramos in a 6-1, 6-1, 6-1 first-round thrashing that lasted about as long as a photo op.

Stepping into the court to line shots into the corners and reduce Ramos to retriever status, Federer hit 33 winners against just 10 unforced errors to open his quest for a record-tying seventh Wimbledon championship in imposing fashion. He wasted little time in racing out to 4-0 leads in both the first and third sets, and the third-seeded Swiss' willingness to attack the net in various ways—he showed off the serve-and-volley, chip-and-charge, as well as some delayed runs to the front court after stretching Ramos wide—kept the Spaniard hitting off his back foot for much of the match. Federer won 25 of 34 trips to net.

It was an ideal start for Federer, but it's tough to read too much into this result, given the fact that Ramos has spent more time playing pick-up soccer games staged on the large lawn at Indian Wells as he has playing grass-court tennis. The world No. 43 played and lost his first tour-level match on turf to Fabio Fognini in Eastbourne last week.

A committed clay-courter who reached the Casablanca final in April, the Barcelona-based Ramos was bidding to join Rafael Nadal and Hicham Arazi as the third lefty to beat Federer in a major. But when Federer followed a second-game break by slamming three straight aces to hold for 3-0, Ramos looked like someone who realized he would have scant say in the outcome.

"Maybe Albert is not the most experienced grass court player out there—that's for sure—but I was able to play a very clean match," Federer told the BBC afterward. "It's always nice to save energy, potentially, if you want to go further in the draw, and [it] gives you the confidence to close out matches easily. Things worked out perfectly today."

The Ramos forehand is slightly remiscent of Francisco Clavet's, but he needs time to manufacture a loopy backswing. Federer rushed Ramos with deep drives that diminished his reaction time, and drilled a forehand winner down the line for a two-set lead. When Federer held the 17th game with an ace, it was 6-1, 6-1, 3-0 after only 58 minutes of play.

At that point, you could almost sympathize if Ramos had resorted to the Greg Rusedski ploy of tugging up his socks after each point in an effort to extend the lopsided engagement past the one-hour mark. In the longest game of the match, Ramos saved five break points, but Federer converted his sixth when the heavy underdog dragged a forehand wide for a 4-0 third-set lead. The six-time champion closed in 79 minutes and will face Fognini next.

—Richard Pagliaro

http://blogs.tennis.com/racquet_reaction/2012/06/wimbledon-federer-d-ramos.html

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Roger's next opponent:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 08:32:30 PM by Dallas »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
R. FEDERER/A. Ramos

6‑1, 6‑1, 6‑1

Q. You got a chance to work on your serve and volley a lot today. How did it feel?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I was able to do that a bit more than I thought I could. I was happy with the way things progressed during the match. I was able to return well, almost break him every single time.

It was a good match for me, obviously. I felt very good out there today.

Q. The serve and volley, is that a case of experimenting because of the score?

ROGER FEDERER: It was a little bit. Obviously being up a double break very often or at least a break, up 30‑Love on your serve, you don't feel any pressure doing it. It's rare to be up in the scoreline like today on a regular basis. It is maybe why it is a good time to try it out.

Then you can use it in tougher moments, difficult moments, to throw your opponents off. Who knows if I'll need it down the stretch. We'll see.

Q. It's a balance, isn't it, between how well the returner returns and the height of the bunts? What goes into your decision to serve and volley?

ROGER FEDERER: I guess it's the placement on the serve. Very often today if you don't hit the serve close to the line you know you're going to get it back at your feet, let's say, or back deep if you're staying back just because the time of the players is too good. Their reaction is very good.

Then I guess the court is too smooth really to miss‑hit it. You know, with the racket size and the strings and everything you just have more security on the return.

That makes it maybe a bit more difficult to serve and volley, but it's about getting used to it up there a bit, the movements, to read it, how the ball is coming at you, how to cover. It's just that we don't spend enough time up there that it's at times a bit awkward at net.

Q. Would you comment about your friend Tiger Woods who had a couple good days at the U.S. Open and then fell off. Can you talk about his performance and the challenge there.

ROGER FEDERER: Didn't see one day, one minute of it, so I guess I cannot comment on it.

But obviously, yeah, you try to start strong and finish even better. Obviously the finishes are key, but the start can help you. Obviously over the four‑day period that they play and the two weeks that we play, you can't compare it.

He knows how it's done. Same for me. Same for all the other great champions out there in sports. Of course, other opponents, other athletes, have their say, as well. It's not always about yourself.

Q. How would you compare the racquet you play with now with the racquet you played with here as a junior in terms of the quality of the strings, the tension, the graphite, all that stuff? How different would it be?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, it's somewhat different, obviously. It was a smaller racquet head. I guess it was a 98 ‑‑ sorry, 85 I was using back then that Pete and Edberg and maybe even Jim Courier, I'm not sure, were using.

Then in 2002 I changed to the bigger racquet head size. I worked a lot with Wilson to give me just a little bit bigger racquet head really.

At the same time I did change the strings, and then we went through minor changes the last ten years. It's been obviously a bit of an evolution, my racquet as well, over the years.

But I'm happy I could always rely on them. They've been very easy and great to work with, and themselves very open for me to change to anything really. Whatever I wanted to test, they would provide. It was the best stuff. That's been helpful, too, because I'm not stuck in one particular direction.

I think it's important to stay open. Even though it is hard to change racquets in a big way, but I do still test along the way over the last years.

Q. You have won here many times. Is it still special for you, the moment you walk in?

ROGER FEDERER: Sure. Absolutely special, because you do realize the moment you walk onto the court that it is a different place here than any other. Just the respectful clap, no music. The whole thing is very much focused on the players and on the sport, which is beautiful.

Today obviously the court played perfectly. It was virtually brand‑new in terms of the way the grass was. That felt special in its own way. I love playing on Monday. We had a great atmosphere on Court 1.

Q. When you think about the last several years, the domination of the slams of you three guys, what do you think have been the biggest factors for that domination?

ROGER FEDERER: I don't know. I guess mental, physical, and talent, putting those three things together. It is incredible to what degree we have been able to not only win the slams, but also in the Masters 1000s.

I think you can include Andy Murray to those as well obviously because he's won a ton of those. It seems like it's really hard for other players to break through really on a slam level or a Masters 1000 level.

It's interesting. It gives great ‑ how shall I say ‑ it shows how solid we've been over the last years, how hard it is to break through, but how hard it is to stay at the top.

I put it down to hard work, talent, and again the mental and physical abilities to also win on poorer days.

Q. You had not been on Court 1 for a first‑round match here in a long time. What was your reaction when you saw the schedule?

ROGER FEDERER: I expected it. Might not have the second round to Centre Court. I figured if I won they would have to put me on Centre Court. That's how I tried to understand the situation, but obviously I have no problems.

I tried to remember when was my first match on Court 1 as a first round. Maybe 2001 against Kafelnikov. I'm not sure. I don't mind it.

Q. Were you surprised?

ROGER FEDERER: No, I actually expected it, to be quite honest. You want to get to Centre Court. If you make it down the stretch, you will get your Centre Court matches. It was as nice on Court 1 today.

Q. I spoke before with Fognini, who is your next opponent. You played him first time when he was a kid in Australia. He said after that you became No. 1 in the world. What do you know about him? What do you appreciate of him?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I do remember the time we did practice together because I very often do practice with juniors coming through the rankings who are there in the second week. So on the days off I practice with a lot of juniors, and then also maybe warming up for bigger matches. They're around, they're excited, and so it's a win‑win situation for all of us.

I do remember him back then. When they make it on tour, I'm very happy for them. Not that I had anything to do with them, just that it's nice to see them again. We had one match in Montréal. He didn't have a very good match. I beat him very comfortably.

I see he's very talented, a great shot‑maker. That's why I was not very surprised he was able to beat Llodra today, which you would probably favor on a grass court. He does have a lot of talent.

I thought I maybe I was going to play him in Davis Cup in Genoa, but they didn't play him then. I played Bolelli and Starace I think it was. Yeah, he's definitely got the talent to be a very tough opponent. Better be ready for some good shots coming my way.

Q. Can I ask you about our big home hope. I don't think you played Andy since the final in Dubai. Do you think he'll be there in the last kind of four?

ROGER FEDERER: If he'll make it to the semis?

Q. Yes.

ROGER FEDERER: I think he wants to first get through the first round, like all of us. But absolutely. I predict him to get there. I haven't checked his draw. Home‑court advantage, playing on grass, with his talent and his game, everything's right there for him. It's up to him to make it happen. I guess you always need a little bit of luck along the way. Same for us.

Like every year, I'm very excited to see him play and get out there on Centre Court most likely every time and battle it out.

It's true, I haven't played Andy a whole lot the last couple years. Obviously being ranked 3 and 4 for a while now, we didn't see each other that often in the draws.

I hope he does well.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/interviews/2012-06-25/201206251340646854700.html

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Benneteau said of Federer:
"He played well. Mentally he's a rock you know. He's two sets down and he doesn't show anything. After that if your level is a little bit lower, right here, right now he takes the opportunity. He has a capacity also to improve his game during the match. So you have to be focused every point, every point against him. If you don't make the right shot tactically you lose the point almost. So it's tough.
"Two sets down and he's a champion. He arrived to win the match in five sets and he was not in control. I think he was a little bit panicked but not comfortable. But at the end of the day he's here. He doesn't make any mistakes. At the end of the fourth set his serve was incredible."

Federer:
"I felt great, obviously," Federer said. "It's always one of the best feelings coming back from two sets to love in a Grand Slam, I guess, and in particular here at Wimbledon where I have been able to do it before. So I have been there, but obviously not with the roof closed. That made the atmosphere very special out there.
"I really thought the crowd really got into it. For the players it was obviously great to be part of such a match. When you come through, it's even a better feeling because your spirits are then lifted up and you're still in the tournament and you'll get another chance."

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Federer and Benneteau played their parts and stuck to the script. The Frenchman’s shot-making was brilliant for the first two sets, and again in the fourth. He slapped through his two-handed backhand for crosscourt winners and unlikely passes, finishing with 59 winners against just 32 unforced errors.

As for Federer, he scrambled to keep up, and had trouble fighting out of his backhand corner. He was particularly annoyed, he said, with the way he gave back a break of serve in the second set. Most noticeable today, though, was his poor volleying. He was casual with his footwork and content to stab at Benneteau’s (admittedly very good) passes. Federer won just 22 of 39 points at net. Even when he tried different looks—an extreme slice here, some sidespin there—Benneteau handled it. It appeared that Federer would get back in the match when he held three set points on Benneteau’s serve late in the second, but the Frenchman had the goods again. He saved one of them with a neat backhand drop shot that Federer couldn’t track down.

“I hit the ball very well today,” Benneteau said. “I knew that if I wanted to have one chance to win, I should take control of the rally and not let him play and direct the rally with his forehand.”

Serving big, Benneteau won the second-set tiebreaker going away. When he walked to the sideline nodding his head and clenching his fist, he began to remind me a little of the cocky Rosol from the previous night, taking it to a legend. Had something changed in the indoor air around Centre Court? Had Rosol given everyone new hope? Was Benneteau refusing to play his assigned role in this after all?

It didn’t take long for us to get our answer, and for the players to returned to the comeback script. Serving to start the third, Benneteau slipped while racing toward the net and landed on his arm. It shook him up for a while, he said—”it was important in a negative way.” Whatever happened, cocky Julian vanished as quickly as he had appeared. Federer, as usual, took advantage of his opponent’s lapse, running out the third 6-2. His comments afterward were interesting; it was actually when he got down two sets that he claims he able to calm down.

“I was more panicky midway through the second set,” Federer said. After losing that set, “I guess when I sat down, I said, All right, here we go now. Match has only just started. I tried to stay calm, and I was.” Federer credited the fact that he had been in that situation so many times before, though the identity of his opponent—Julien Benneteau, rather than, say, Novak Djokovic—might have had something to do with his positive attitude.

Give Benneteau credit for gathering himself for a valiant fourth-set push, and giving this match a true dramatic peak. Unfortunately for him, all it did was offer Federer a chance to show what has made him so tough to finish off even after 13 years on tour, even when he no longer dominates so routinely.

It began with Federer serving at 5-6, 0-15, three points from an unwelcome trip home. For Federer, that meant it was “cue the clutch serves” time. At 0-15, he hit a service winner. At 15-30, he won the point after a good wide serve. At 30-30, he hit an ace. At deuce, he hit another service winner. Benneteau had been two points from the match twice, and if he had had a chance to rally, it felt like he was the superior player from the ground. Federer never gave him that chance.

It was more of the same in the tiebreraker. At 1-1, forced to hit a second serve, Federer came up with a gem of a kick that Benneteau couldn’t handle. At 3-3, reeling from another bad volley and forced to hit another second serve, Federer did it again, getting his kick to bite just a little more than normal. Again, Benneteau missed the return.

From there, the breaker was a dramatic masterpiece. All-court brilliance alternated with all-court nerves. Benneteau gagged two backhands—a shot he had hardly missed all day—yet also came up with excellent serves and passes. He didn’t totally choke. But the final twist, the subtle masterstroke, was left, as we knew it would be, for Federer. At 6-6, with his father unable to watch in the player's box, with the Evening at Wimbledon crowd fired up, Federer reached for a seemingly ungettable Benneteau serve up the T. He not only got it, but sent it back close to the baseline. Benneteau thought about taking it out of the air, but rallied instead. With a good look at a backhand, he jumped, swung . . . and hit it just over the baseline. Instead of match point, it was set point for Federer. The Frenchman never recovered.

Benneteau remembered the point later. It wasn’t his missed backhand he mentioned, but Federer’s return. “At 6-6 in the tiebreak,” he said, “I have a good first serve, but he return. Maybe I should have played a forehand volley, but it’s the only return he made like this during the match. When he was chip returning, it was shorter, not as good as this one.”

In that return, and in the two kick second serves he came up with earlier in the breaker, the true genius of Federer is revealed. It isn’t about elegance as much as it is about resourcefulness. He hit his best return of the match when he needed it most, and he found a different serve, a new wrinkle, after almost three hours on court. Federer is lauded for his variety because it’s easy on the eyes, but as a tactic versatility can be overrated—the best plan is usually to keep doing the same thing until it stops working. With those two kick serves, which may have won him the match, Federer—starring in his own version of Groundhog Day—reminded us of what has always made him special. He reminded us that creativity, variety, artistry in tennis don't have to be just for show.

http://blogs.tennis.com/thewrap/2012/06/playing-with-calm.html

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
A bit more off court training, and JB could have sealed the deal in the 4th.

What a puss.

Fed better smarten up if he wants another slam.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
that was too close in the 4th set..every 1st serve counted..
Federer was defensive yesterday against julien..couldn't come to the net a lot of times..

apparently, 4 times in the fourth set, Roger came within two points of losing to Julien Benneteau..

Next up : Xavier Malisse:)
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
I hope he plays better in his next match too, but Julien played really well in those first 2 sets.  He was playing "over" himself, while Roger was playing his "C" game!  But it's the end result that counts!

Go Roger!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
R. FEDERER/J. Benneteau

4‑6, 6‑7, 6‑2, 7‑6, 6‑1

Q. How did you feel when you finished that match today?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I felt great, obviously. It's always one of the best feelings coming back from two sets to love in a Grand Slam, I guess, and in particular here at Wimbledon where I have been able to do it before.
So I have been there, but obviously not with the roof closed. That made the atmosphere very special out there.
I really thought the crowd really got into it. For the players it was obviously great to be part of such a match. When you come through, it's even a better feeling because your spirits are lifted up and you're still in the tournament and you'll get another chance.

Q. If you had the opportunity to watch it last night, what were your thoughts as the Nadal match unfolded under the same conditions under the roof at least for the fifth set?
ROGER FEDERER: The beginning of the answer?

Q. The Nadal match yesterday. What were your thoughts as that match unfolded?
ROGER FEDERER: Last night you mean?

Q. Yes, yes.
ROGER FEDERER: So nothing about this match. What did I think? Obviously I didn't see everything, but I saw some of it, the first set; I saw pretty much everything at the end.
Yeah, I mean, it does play different indoors. Obviously that's a bit of getting used to. Indoor grass obviously not something we're quite familiar with.
Obviously with a player ranked 100 in the world you figure, like, okay he'll throw in one, you know, maybe awkward game. He didn't, which was very impressive to see.
Obviously a tough loss for Rafa so early in the tournament. But then again, you've got to give credit to Rosol. He stuck around and gave himself the chance with the conditions what they were at the end of the match.

Q. What do you think you brought tonight to bring the victory? What do you think the keys in that marathon were for you to emerge on top?
ROGER FEDERER: Probably having been there so often, down two sets to love; knowing how to handle the situation; not to panic; knowing that once I broke the beginning of the third set that this match is completely open, and I'm only going to get stronger from here.
Physically it was not going to be an issue at all. It was more mentally just knowing that I cannot make I cannot afford any more mistakes. That's the problem at two sets to love down, because I did have my chances, particularly in the second set, which was a tough set for me to lose.
Obviously in the third set I sort of felt it was going to be a nail biter finish in that set because I did miss a Love 40 situation early on in that set.
So that was the toughest moment obviously, seeing him come back from Love 40 down, you know, and staying in the match and coming so, so close.
But I did start to play better and better as the match went on, and that's kind of what I expected of myself once a set down or two sets to love down.
That I guess comes with experience, but also experience alone is not going to win you the match. I had to push deep and extremely hard, and I'm very happy with the way things sort of happened at the end.

Q. What are the biggest differences between playing on grass indoors as opposed to outdoors?
ROGER FEDERER: You just don't have the elements. You just don't have the sun setting, which can be tricky at times.
From the one end it's easier; from the other end it's tough. You have the wind swirling. It was particularly swirly today. When I was warming up I was thinking that's going to be a big factor for the players out on Centre Court if they're going to leave the roof open or not.
Don't know if it would've favored me or not even more so, but it changes everything. So then does it play slower indoors? I would think so, a little bit, right? But then at the same time, you can really play yourself into like a trance like state like I thought Rosol was in in the end of the fifth.
That's harder to do outdoors with the elements, I would think.

Q. You said you played better in the third, but still in the fourth you were five times two points from defeat, if I'm not wrong.
ROGER FEDERER: Yes. I don't know.

Q. So were you worried how much, and so on? And then do you know that today you've beaten also a new record, which is you have won 5,459 games in the history in a slam, and you're beating Agassi who is behind 5,438.
ROGER FEDERER: You see. That's you battle out there, you know. (Laughter.)
Because I knew it. I knew that that record was on the line. I knew that. (Laughter.)
That's maybe why I couldn't get it going early, because it's such a big record for me. (Laughter.)

Q. 29 games today, that's why.
ROGER FEDERER: I thought playing longer might make me really break it. (Laughter.)
No, what do you do? I don't even remember the question. I just remember the record, which was so great, you know. (Laughing.)
No, the fourth set, yeah, how close it was. I mean, you figure that one service game at least is going to get close. This is where you hope you can clutch serve on the big points, that hopefully he'll miss a few, but that's not what you rely on.
You have to rely on your own strength. I guess we were both at our very best deep into the fourth set, so it felt obviously great. I knew the importance of that particular game, and then also the tiebreak.
Yeah, obviously I missed a lot of opportunities out there today, but at the same time I also made some big plays when I had to. I tried to stay calm in the moment and in the eye of the storm, really. I was able to come through.
So it was a fun match to come through, obviously.

Q. In the beginning it didn't seem like you were yourself, you know, just not playing that well. Then you got better, you know, the third set. Did you feel like that, too?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, I don't think I should have lost the second set. I mean, credit to him. At the end, once he got the break back and he was in the match again, obviously I think he almost might have had a few more chances earlier until I did have set point and I hit a great return.
I mean, things just didn't work out for me in the second set, but myself to blame to give the break back. That's where I'm most upset with my performance today potentially, because that was probably the moment where it got me down two sets to love and put me in this extremely tough situation.
Normally I hope I can stay ahead by at least two games with the break all the way through the second set, and then, you know, we start the third on even terms.
That wasn't the case, and that's what really got me in trouble, actually, in hindsight.

Q. When you were at the net with Benneteau, what did he say to you?
ROGER FEDERER: At the net?

Q. Yes.
ROGER FEDERER: Well, we're very friendly. I know him since I am 12 years old, I guess. First tournament ever I went to in France I remember seeing Julien. So he's about my age, and we spend a lot of time on tour together.
We respect each other a lot, you know. Obviously we knew the moment, that it was sort of a magical moment for both of us for the rest of our lives, I guess. You appreciate that.
Well, he hoped that I win the tournament now and wished me well. I congratulated him for an awesome performance and that he deserved it. It was a tough loss for him.
But, yeah, he's a very friendly guy. Obviously felt a bit for him at the end.

Q. As you can see, you are breaking records every day. So when you went there, which is the toughest opponent: the one that's at the other side of the record book, the history books?
ROGER FEDERER: I don't know. I guess the everyday grind is tough, you know. Traveling the world, you know, the practice. I make it sound bad now. It's not. It's the best thing in the world.
But at the same time, the best thing in the world can also be the toughest. Just being able to, you know, do it time and time again. I don't know how many five setters I have he played. I don't know how many times I have come back from two sets to love down or been on the Centre Court at Wimbledon.
But it's also worthwhile, and there is so much pressure that surrounds every single match I play. I'm happy that I handled the situation so well these days.
Yeah, I don't know what's the toughest. I mean, every week is different. Every opponent is different. That's the beauty of it. I quite enjoy that, you know, instead of talking about potential rivals who have about been the hardest. We all know who those were.

Q. You spoke of how the absence of the elements with the closed roof sort of allowed Rosol to get in that trance like state last night. Did you feel like that in the fifth set?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, no. He was not at his best in the fifth. So, I mean, but then again, you don't know if he's just not feeling great for game. Is it two games? Is he going to retire in the next minute? Is he all of a sudden going to be serving bombs again and playing great?
You don't know. So you try to play point for point and stretch the lead once you do have an opportunity. So I was happy with my focus level, particularly in the fifth.
But I do go into a trance like state I guess at times. I did feel that midway through the third, fourth I was in control, things were clicking for me, and I knew that it was going to be hard for him to come through.
But he did great. I thought he played a wonderful match from start to finish, as well. Obviously could have or should have gotten me, you know, today.

Q. Can you explain what you were feeling two sets down and how worried you were at that point?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I was actually calm, to be quite honest. I was more panicky sort of midway through the second set. Because once I gave the break back and I had the 6 5 great return situation, I just kind of felt that the breaker was going to be a rough one for me.
So not that I expected to lose it, but I guess when I sat down, I said, All right, here we go now. Match has only just started.
I tried to stay calm, and I was. It was like he's still such a long a way from the finish line that there is no reason right now to go crazy about it.
Let's see how the third starts and then we'll take it from there. Like I said, I have been there so many times that I also know how to handle the situation. But on grass I knew it was going to be a different animal, and I'm happy to weather the storm out there today.

Q. A lot of us have not seen a guy play the way Rosol played last night, especially in a pressure situation. How much sympathy did you feel for Rafa going down that way?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, this is not against Rafa, but it was nice to see it's still possible. I think 15 years ago you had matches like this so much more often on the faster surfaces, that a guy could catch fire and just run through you.
Today it's virtually impossible because you make so many more returns these days and conditions are so much slower with the elements. It's so much harder to be, you know, in that state, I think.
Whereas it was just amazing to see that it was possible. Okay, he didn't play like that for five sets, but in the fifth it was just a joke. I was laughing because of his performance for 10 minutes after that. I couldn't believe that he pulled it off the way he did.
Of course I do feel bad for Rafa because it's a tough loss; it's Wimbledon; it's the way things happen. You figure he was not the overwhelming favorite going into the fifth outdoors, but we have all been unlucky and lucky over the years playing in tough, better, or worse conditions for yourself or for the opponent that they just equal out over the course of your career, really.

Q. Any thoughts on Kohlschreiber against him tomorrow?
ROGER FEDERER: Philip is a good friend of mine, but then again I hope Rosol can keep it up and play similar to what he played against Rafa.
It must be possible I think on grass, you know, that that can happen again, absolutely.

Q. We know you have an incredible memory for matches. How much do you remember of the one match you played against Malisse on grass? How do you assess his game on this surface?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I think this is his best surface, to be honest. He's a great player with great talent and reads the game extremely well, the geometry of the courts.
He's got a good first serve and he moves smoothly, especially on the grass which you're supposed to be doing. I think he does all those things very well, which makes him a tough player to play against.
I guess the time I played him it was in 2003?

Q. 2001, five sets.
ROGER FEDERER: Five sets? Okay. I don't remember that quite, but I do remember it was either '01 or '03. I have played him over the years. Same thing. Xavier is one of the first guys I ever saw in international junior tournament, so we go way back, as well. It's nice to see him doing well on tour.
But I know the difficulty. I haven't started to think of it a whole lot because I do have two days off now, but I'm looking forward to the match. It's going to be a tough one.

Q. So within this 24 hours or so Rafa loses and Novak lost a set and you have this incredible match. You could say in a way, Oh, my God, the top 3 players...
ROGER FEDERER: Can't play tennis no more, right?

Q. Yeah, right. (Laughter.) But you really could look at it a different way. It shows that the level of incredible dominance that you guys have had, the ability to pull off whatever it is, 28 of the last 29. Can you just talk about the dominance of the three of you and how really difficult that has been and what an achievement?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I guess you can ask every player, and every player is going to give you the same answer: They don't know how it works, you know.
It's giving your best every single day, every single point you play, you know, staying injury free as much as you can, and then work hard, you know, on the practice court.
Now, I have been around the block obviously, and I know how hard it is to, you know, every day beat the guy ranked 25, 65, 105. It doesn't matter. They all present their challenges. But some playing styles suit you more and some don't. That's why I love this sport, that every day is a completely new day, you know.
You don't know what to expect, and you have to react so much in our sport that you only control certain things. This is where I think it's impressive that the other guys also for so many years have been able to be so solid.
But what this victory of Rosol does to me is give great belief for other players that they can beat the top guys, which I think is great, even though it might not be that great for me down the stretch. Hopefully not.
But it's just I think it's great for the sport that it is possible, such a victory for a lower ranked player. It's not a low ranked player, but in terms of Rafa Nadal being No. 2 in the world and the champion he is, it's obviously a massive upset.
I hope it does give many other players great belief in playing us in the future.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
JULIEN BENETTEAU - THIRD ROUND

Friday 29 June 2012
R. FEDERER/J. Benetteau

4‑6, 6‑7, 6‑2, 7‑6, 6‑1

Q. What were the physical issues you were dealing with in the fifth set and what kind of effect did they have?

JULIEN BENNETEAU: I was cramping on my quads, so it was tough for me to serve and also to have a strong support to hit the ball well.

It was just that.

Q. Did you hurt your wrist when you fell in the third set?

JULIEN BENNETEAU: No, I didn't hurt myself, but this fall, it was tough for me, because after this I was a little bit shaky for one, two, three games. I was not in my good...

Q. Feeling?

JULIEN BENNETEAU: Yeah, my good feeling. But this fall for me was important in the negative way.

Q. About five or six times you were two points away from winning. Did you let it get away from you, or did Federer play well on those points?

JULIEN BENNETEAU: He played well. Maybe in the tiebreak at 6‑All I have a good first serve, but he return. Maybe I should have play a volley, a forehand volley, but it's the only return he made like this during the match.

When he was returning in chip it was shorter, or he tried to return in lift, but it was not as good as this one. Even if it was slow one, it was long, and it was tough after for me to take the control of the rally.

Q. How did you feel about playing under the roof and how that affected things?

JULIEN BENNETEAU: It was perfect. Perfect conditions.

Q. You like the indoor...

JULIEN BENNETEAU: It was beautiful court, no wind. It was a little bit hot ‑ not hot, but humid. The best player of all time in front of me. It was perfect.

Q. Tough luck. You just said Roger's the best player of all time. Roger Federer is Roger Federer, but can you try and put into words what he showed us tonight, why he was so tough?

JULIEN BENNETEAU: Mentally he's a rock, you know. He's two sets down and he doesn't show anything. After that, if your level is a little bit lower, right here, right now he takes the opportunity.

At the beginning of the third set I was a little bit not as good as I was during the first two sets, and in five minutes it's 4‑0.

He has a capacity also to improve his game during the match. He was more aggressive right after I serve the first shot of the rally, he tried to hit the ball stronger and to be more aggressive, and you feel it when you are on the opposite side.

So you have to be focused every point, every point against him. You cannot make any mistakes. If you don't make the right shot tactically at the right place, you lose the point almost. So it's tough.

And, yeah, like I said, two sets down and he's a champion. He arrive to win this match in five sets, and he was not in control. I think he was a little bit not panicked, but not comfortable, I will say.

But at the end of the day he's here; he doesn't make any mistakes. At the end of the fourth set his serve was incredible. Only first serve, only first serve, only first serve. He didn't make a lot of mistakes.

Q. So it's an incredible pressure?

JULIEN BENNETEAU: Yeah, it is.

Q. Were you surprised how well you were controlling the rallies? Especially earlier on it seemed you were the greatest player in the world, not Roger, the way you were dominating a lot of rallies.

JULIEN BENNETEAU: Yeah, I hit the ball very well today and I was in good shape. I knew that if I wanted to have one chance to win, I should take the control of the rally and to be aggressive and not to let him play and to direct the rally with his forehand.

It was good, yes.

Q. Was it one of the best performances you've played?

JULIEN BENNETEAU: Yes. Probably, yeah.

Q. What does it take for you to compete at this level consistently on a day in, day out, for the rest of the season to this high level you've shown this evening?

JULIEN BENNETEAU: I don't know, but for sure this is a match to work after that. Also to play in a match like this you improve your game. After a match like that, you're a better player, for sure.

So even if I lost today, I think it's going to be positive for me for the rest of the season and also for my career.

Q. You've just come off the court. It's hard, but years from now when you're telling your son about the match on Centre Court at Wimbledon in 2012, what would you say to him?

JULIEN BENNETEAU: I will say, you can be proud of your dad. (Smiling) I think.

No, it was a magic moment, for sure. It's tough, but...

Q. Did you watch the match last night? Did your mind go back...

JULIEN BENNETEAU: Not during the match, but yesterday night, yeah.

Q. But during the match, you had ideas it could be...

JULIEN BENNETEAU: Yes, at the beginning of the fifth I said, Okay, already it was two sets.

I thought at the beginning of the fifth, but just like one second. But yesterday night, for sure.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God