Author Topic: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!  (Read 832376 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061

I saw this earlier.  He gave it to Julian after that great match he played against him.  That was a nice jester!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
R. FEDERER/X. Malisse 7‑6, 6‑1, 4‑6, 6‑3

ROGER FEDERER

Q. Can you describe why you called for a trainer, what was going wrong at that point.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I felt the back going the beginning of the first set, and then I played on it maybe three, four games. I asked for the trainer, the doctor to come out to just talk about it. So I decided to have treatment inside.

Yeah, I guess it must be a mix of maybe from the five‑setter and the two days off and the cold wind today. So I guess it was unlucky in this regard. Fortunately I pulled out the match the way I did today.

Q. How is it feeling right now?

ROGER FEDERER: Okay. I mean, way better than a few hours ago, so thatís pretty good. But honestly Iím not too worried. Iíve had bad backs over the years. Iíve been around. They go as quick as they came.

But of course I have to keep an eye on it now. I have one and a half days, which is a lot of time, to be quite honest, to work with. Two good nightís sleeps and Iíll be 100% on Wednesday.

Iím pretty convinced, otherwise I wouldnít have been able to pull out the match the way I did today.

Q. Did it happen on court?

ROGER FEDERER: It happened on court.

Q. Xavier really enjoys playing you. Do you find sometimes you bring out the best in your opponents?

ROGER FEDERER: I donít know. Look, today I thought was extremely difficult for Xavier. I did apologize to him after the match just for the first set. Not that I had anything to do with it. I know how hard it is playing somebody that is injured.

Heís a great player. I mentioned it before in my press conference a couple days ago what I think of him. Itís nice playing against him. Today obviously was, you know, tough conditions ‑ a lot of wind, cold, rain delay, I had the back thing going ‑ so obviously it was hard to get any sort of rhythm, which I think indoors would have been quite different.

But, yeah, Xavier is a great player.

Q. Youzhny next. Why do you think so many 30‑year‑olds are doing well now?

ROGER FEDERER: A good generation. Think back 10 years ago when we were all coming through, how many of us there were really. My junior year back in í98 was unbelievable. Who I played in almost every match I played back over there made it on tour after that.

I think we had a record in Paris with the number of over‑30‑year‑olds in the main draw, which Iím happy to see. Happy Iím not the only guy left, you know.

Yeah, I donít know how many still are in the draw right now, but obviously I see familiar faces left and right everywhere I go at every tournament.

Q. What is your feeling when Nadal leaves tournament quite early? Is it a joy or a pity?

ROGER FEDERER: Iím an honest guy, and I say itís a pity.

Q. Can you describe your thoughts on facing Youzhny, what particular challenges there are against him.

ROGER FEDERER: Did he end up winning? I played him last week in Halle. I played him here last year on grass, and again at Halle years back. Weíve played a lot, to be honest, on grass. We know what to expect, both of us.

I think heís a great player. He can take the ball early. He can, you know, mix it up well. Heís a great fighter. I had an extremely tough match with him last year on Court 1. I expect something similar.

So I hope to recover and play a good match against him, and hopefully victory is on my racqu

Q. You were talking about this generation. Youíre the leader of this generation. Can you talk about the two or three most important matches in your career?

ROGER FEDERER: I havenít made a ranking. I might have to do that eventually one day just to give you guys everything on how I feel and care about every single point in every single match I played. (Smiling.)

No, like you mentioned yourself, you kind of know which ones meant a lot to me. I donít know, is it the one where I got a wild card in Marseille and I beat Moya who was 4 in the world? I think that was big. Clearly it was. That gave me belief for every practice and every match that I play that I could hang with the best.

Hamburg was obviously big, entering the top 10 in 2002. Carrying Switzerland to victory against America in Davis Cup in Basel was a big tie. Little things like this all add up.

Itís hard to pick out which ones were the best. In the beginning, obviously you need big wins at times to sort of give you that motivation for the practice sessions, for the travel day in and day out, which in the beginning is fun for some time, but then it gets frustrating when youíre losing. Thatís not a whole lot of fun then doing all the sacrifices.

Q. Was the Sampras win also a key?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, but it was ‑ how shall I say ‑ it was confusing in some ways, too. I came to the American summer after that and I was like, Okay, play like you played Pete. So simple, right? Nobody plays like Pete I understood.

Thatís where things got complicated for me. I realize I donít play every day as good as when I played against him and nobody else played like Sampras.

Things got complicated for me in my mind to be honest, and I had to work on that for quite some time.

Q. How surprised were you that they didnít shut the roof today? Do you think that had any effect on your back injury, it was bit cold?

ROGER FEDERER: I think so. I think it didnít help. Would it have happened anyway? Maybe. You do feel a five‑setter a little bit maybe. Maybe the two days, who knows what effect that has. Maybe I was just a bit unlucky today because I did a proper warmup, I did everything right the last couple days.

Itís not during a Grand Slam where Iím going to start doing stupid stuff, to be honest. Itís just unfortunate.

No, I was happy they kept it open because it is an outdoor tournament at the end of they day. We donít want to play indoors all the time. Itís not that big of a deal coming on and off. I know spectators would rather see a match than sitting in the rain.

They do a great job here. They love it. To see the referee coming out and inspecting the courts, thatís the whole drama that belongs to Wimbledon. Eventually if itís too bad and itís really raining, this is when you shut it.

Itís tough. Thereís just this drizzle the whole time. You figure at any minute we could come off. Sometimes youíre stressing out because you want to stretch the lead; sometimes you hope it rains so you can come off. So it also plays some tricks on you mentally.

I had other problems on court today. Maybe that helped with the rain situation. I donít know.

http://freedomtennis.wordpress.com/2012/07/02/roger-federer-july-02-2012/

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Next up - "useful" Youzhny!
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Avatar

• Tennis God

I saw this earlier.  He gave it to Julian after that great match he played against him.  That was a nice jester!

how is that a nice jester? seems like hes just rubbing it in to me  :confused1:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

how is that a nice jester? seems like hes just rubbing it in to me  :confused1:

The reporters said it the writing says something like "fantastic match".  He and Julian are good friends and Julian was really happy to get that shirt from Roger.  So there! :)~

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
How cute!

[HD] Roger Federer Twin Daughters Welcoming Papa at 2012 Wimbledon QF

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
ROGER FEDERER

Q. It looked very routine again for you.

ROGER FEDERER: Yes. I have a good matchup I guess with Youzhny for some reason, because he is a good player and makes it hard normally for players. I had a tough one with him here last year.

Iím obviously excited about this result here today.

Q. When you have such a good head‑to‑head record against someone, does it help you going into the match?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, obviously I think it helps, particularly when youíve never lost against someone or you have such a one‑sided head‑to‑head.

You feel that maybe itís up to him to change things up a bit. You just do what usually works against him; if it doesnít, then you just adjust to it.

Then again, every match is different. I donít take these matches easy. I prepare for them like I do for any other big match.

Today things worked out great for me, so Iím very happy. Yeah, it was nice to play with the roof open. It was a great match for me. I played aggressive and served well again.

Iím really pleased with my performance today.

Q. Your 27th matchup with Novak but your first on grass. What are your thoughts ahead of that game? What in his game do you think you need to watch out for on grass?

ROGER FEDERER: I mean, obviously things are not that drastic of a change anymore from clay, hard court, indoor, to grass. But it is interesting that this is our first grass court match. Iím looking forward to it. I havenít put too much thought into it, to be quite honest yet.

Iím just happy that Iím around further than Iíve been the last couple years. So itís been a good tournament so far for me. Iím happy Iím feeling good again. It gives me confidence going into a big match against Novak.

Iíll give a thought now today, tomorrow, and the next day then how to play him on grass.

Q. What has struck you most that heís improved on to be so competitive with you and to take recent matches?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I think itís consistency, you know, just across the board, I think. He used to maybe have a bit of, you know, a match where he wouldnít play so well at times or lose early in a tournament for, you know, some reason.

He also had some health issues early on with his breathing I thought. Little things like that obviously play a role, you know, in the everyday grind on tour.

So I think heís been able to put a lot of these things aside, and he seems a very complete and happy player out there right now. I think all these little things create quite something at the very top, I think.

Q. When youíve had him on the edge in some matches, how would you describe his ability to come back even from being almost out?

ROGER FEDERER: Uhm, well, heís always been the same. Heís been very good and very dangerous, you know, from the first time I ever played him in Monaco ‑ I played three sets against him ‑ until today. Itís been 27 times; itís been a lot of matches over the years.

I donít feel that any match is over against a top player like Novak is. With his ability of his shot‑making, you know the match is never over until the umpire calls the score.

Q. What is the personal relationship like given a few years ago you made some forceful comments about him from Davis Cup?

ROGER FEDERER: No. I thought that was more brought up by you guys. Not that you guys are to blame, but you guys like to put something between the top players.

I was just upset at him calling the trainer out for no obvious reason against my buddy, Stan, in a five‑setter. That was it. We had a quick chat about it in Madrid after that, and things are cool since a long time between me and him. Iíve always respected him. Have I gone out for dinner with him? No.

But had many meetings with him at the council, and then now with the Grand Slams. Heís been nice to work with. You know, weíve met on several occasions because of other things together.

Yeah, I have no issues with him, and I hope you believe me.

Q. You had some treatments in your previous round, but there didnít seem to be any recurrence of it today.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, Iím happy that things were fine out there today. Like you mentioned, today I didnít have to call the trainer. It was straightforward. I could focus on tennis again, on tactics I wanted to play, instead of focusing on, you know, how to manage little issues or big issues, whatever you want to call them.

So for me it was a good match and Iím happy where I am right now. My back is holding up.

Q. Do you still require treatment between rounds?

ROGER FEDERER: Yes, regardless how my body is. I think every player goes and gets treatment multiple times a day almost (smiling).

Q. Athletes focus on one match at a time. Weíre now getting down to the business end, two matches to go. What would it feel like to win here?

ROGER FEDERER: Obviously itís a big deal. No denying. Obviously it feels great being back in the semis, like I mentioned. Havenít been here in the last couple years. So this is nice to be back to a place where Iíve been so many times before.

Usually once I get to the semis, Iím playing some of my best tennis usually for the last couple rounds. Obviously Iím aware that Novak is the defending champion and the world No. 1. Thatís not going to make it easy to come through.

Thatís the focus now instead of taking it two steps at a time where I know Iím holding the trophy. I know itís possible. I know Iím playing really well. I am aware things are going to get complicated in the next match. I better prepare well, because itís going to be a tough match.

Q. You feel your game is trending in the right direction?

ROGER FEDERER: Yes. Iíve been playing well for a year now. Iíve been playing well for many months. Iím happy that going ahead into the semis Iím not tired, Iím not injured, Iím not anything. Iím fresh and ready to go. Thatís how I want to feel before a semis.

Itís been a better tournament than in Paris for me anyway. In Paris I struggled all the way through, which I think here I did have some great matches like the last one.

Q. Mikhail appealed to the Royal Box for some advice at one point. What advice might you have given to your opponent?

ROGER FEDERER: I think he was talking to Andre Agassi actually. Thatís what Andre told me afterwards. I did see him afterwards. Itís nice to see some legends coming back to follow us.

Anyway, just jokes. Mikhail is a great guy. Heís always a great fight out there. You could see it with his outbursts, trying to get some energy going and just getting pumped up a bit, you know.

Then at times when things are not going so well, you know, he takes it easy, too, which is great to see.

Yeah, we got along very well. It was pretty funny, you know, him speaking to the Royal Box, I thought.

Q. You go out there with a game plan knowing there are certain things you can go on grass which you canít do on other surfaces or things you canít do?

ROGER FEDERER: Absolutely. Obviously, itís much harder to defend on grass, you know, time and time again than on any other surface, you know. But itís hard to set up sometimes.

Yes, itís unusual, you know, maybe the ball coming flatter at you and then sort of playing it up a bit, but also going flat through the courts your playing little with margins. Weíre used to playing with much more topspin and giving ourselves margin over the net, but then also into the court at the back.

Whereas on grass I think itís worth it to go closer to the lines, use a lot of the down‑the‑line shots, which arenít easier to pull off on other surfaces.

Itís a question of confidence and a question of playing a lot of tennis on grass over the years for me. I think Iíve played over 100 matches on grass now, so I know how it works.

But it is obviously slowing down, like you said. But I still believe the aggressive player can be rewarded if he plays the right way.

Q. Considering that Novak won here last year but youíve won here so many times, does one have a mental edge over the other on Centre Court?

ROGER FEDERER: Iím not sure. Obviously it helps that he won the last couple against me. Again, it is our first grass court match. We donít know quite what to expect. I feel itís a bit of an even ground. You have to ask him. I feel good about the match. Iím excited.

Q. You always seem so in control of your emotions, so collected. Weíre all human. What makes you angry, tennis or otherwise? What is your pet hate?

ROGER FEDERER: Not so much off the court. Iím pretty relaxed, you know. On the court, I donít know, missing 15 forehands in a row would get me upset, but I still donít think I would crush a racquet any more these days. Who knows, maybe one day it will happen again. I hope itís not going to happen.

Itís true, there needs a lot to go wrong for me to lose my temper. Maybe I am the way I am today because I used to be completely nuts on the tennis court before. So I was able to turn that around and now, yeah, I know itís just a tennis match.

Q. Youíre a machine then?

ROGER FEDERER: No, Iím not at all.

Q. You mentioned the Royal Box. Does that make it rather a special occasion having that there compared to other places?

ROGER FEDERER: Yes, very much so. I really actually do enjoy seeing legends coming out, follow todayís game of tennis. Royals coming out, I think itís inspiring, too, in some ways, believe it or not. Itís great for the event. Itís great for Wimbledon. Itís great for the club. Itís great for the players.

Itís just nice to see that the Royal Box is always full, as well. Itís not ever empty for us. And if it is, you know theyíre going to come back shortly. Theyíre not here just to drink champagne and tea in the back. They really do come for the tennis. We feel that on Centre Court, and I do feel that. Thatís probably one of the reasons why I play well on Centre Court.

Q. Will you happily sit there one day?

ROGER FEDERER: I donít know. First Iíll have to get an invitation and then weíll see.

Q. Did you meet William and Kate after the match and what they might have said to you?

ROGER FEDERER: Yes, I did meet them. I met Kate for the first time. William Iíve met again after Australia. They were very nice, very friendly. I was very happy to meet them.

Yeah, had a bit of a chat. What exactly, itís not so important I donít think. But it was a nice conversation.

http://freedomtennis.wordpress.com/2012/07/04/roger-federer-july-04-2012/#more-545

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Highlights from the QF match with Youzhny:

Wimbledon 2012 QF Federer Vs Youzhny Highlights HD

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
Roger is once more at the semis of a Slam, and playing decent tennis, if the highlights of his matches are to be believed.. Still, Nole being Nole, I fear Roger will be beaten.. The serve holds the key.  :zipped:

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Roger is once more at the semis of a Slam, and playing decent tennis, if the highlights of his matches are to be believed.. Still, Nole being Nole, I fear Roger will be beaten.. The serve holds the key.  :zipped:

Unfortunately that's the case. nole can't be beaten by anyone but Nadal.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Unfortunately that's the case. nole can't be beaten by anyone but Nadal.

Really.... this year alone he's been beaten by Tipsaurevic, Murray, Isner...and their name isn't "Nadal".  Never say "can't be"... anything is possible.  Whether it happens tomorrow or not - but it CAN happen.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Dallas - the first set is the key as always. Roger does have a habit of getting the early lead only to squander it.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Dallas - the first set is the key as always. Roger does have a habit of getting the early lead only to squander it.

I agree.  The first set is key to Roger.  He's had a lead before only to lose it to Novak. I just hope for the best tomorrow.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
He's in another Wimbledon final!!!!! I'm happy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Dallas - I'm over the moon right now.

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
Federer beating Djokovic was good enough, but to do it in 4 sets, and ceding only one break throughout the match - marvellous!! Muzza is up next.. Whatever happens on Sunday - it will be a historic evening for Wimbledon! Can't imagine what it must feel like to have the hopes of a nation riding on one's shoulders!!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
ROGER FEDERER

Q. I want to know about how this affects your confidence maybe moving forward? And also, what does this tell you about your game, where youíre at, from being still one of the elite players on the planet?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, Iíve played a lot of tennis lately. Iím maybe the guy with most matches played this year, so itís not like Iíve been on the sideline. I think that helps, you know, building confidence and momentum really.

Obviously you want it to pay off in the big matches against the best of the players. Didnít happen for me in Paris unfortunately, but it was a tough tournament overall for me.

Then itís nice that, you know, it worked today. Obviously Iíd love to win the title. I have one more match to go. Iím aware of that. Still itís always nice beating someone like Novak, who has done so well here last year, the last couple years.

Weíve never played on grass. It was obviously a big occasion. These matches only help my confidence. I hope I can use it then for the finals.

Q. I canít imagine you felt you had anything left to prove about your career at this point on this stage. Iím wondering, did you feel when you walked onto court, was there a statement you wanted to make, a point you wanted to make with your play?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, not really. All I hoped for was a good match from me, to be quite honest, to give myself a chance to be in the finals, have a shot at the trophy again really. I missed being in the finals here the last couple years obviously.

It was big news when I lost to Berdych a few years ago. Not that I started doubting myself after last yearís quarterfinals, but I played so well in that quarterfinal against Tsonga it was a hard one to sort of accept to lose. But Jo did great. You have to wait another year for your chance, and now I am finally back in that final.

So itís great. Thatís what my goal was going into the match, not looking ahead of trying to prove a point or anything like that. Because I felt like Iíve played, like you said, plenty of tennis over the years and had so much success that I donít think I really need to do that.

Q. What was the difference? Was there a single thing you felt was the tipping point in the match?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I think the surface obviously does make our match quite different, to be quite honest. We barely had rallies in the first couple of sets, which was surprising for me to see, as well. We did a lot of first‑strike tennis; a lot of service winners out there.

That obviously changes momentum of the match. Doesnít make it maybe as physical. Itís more explosive. Maybe a touch unpredictable. I thought when I missed my chance early on in the third I might pay for it dearly. Almost did towards the end of the third set when he had breakpoints.

So I think overall the surface made the match play differently and potentially in my favor. I was able to be very aggressive, particularly once I did get into the third set where I thought we both played our very best.

Now looking back, that was obviously the key to the match.

Q. What were your thoughts before the match about the roof being closed?

ROGER FEDERER: Uhm, honestly I tried not to think too much about it. I spoke about it with my coaches. I asked them is it better for me or not. Nobody knew (smiling).

I mean, now I guess it was. Who knows.

But itís really the things ‑‑ like now for the Murray and Tsonga match I didnít know it was open. They barely knew 10 minutes before the match. You just go through it. Thereís another rain delay, you wait it out. Itís just what we do as tennis players. We adjust at the very moment. It was the same again today.

Q. How would you describe what Pete Samprasí record and legacy mean to you?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, everybody knows what a hero he is to me and how much I admire what heís been able to achieve in tennis. I mean, I donít think he ever lost a Grand Slam final here at Wimbledon. He won seven out of seven, which is just incredible, particularly in the times he played against all these big servers, when things were a bit more unpredictable, letís say.

So Iím very proud to have a shot of equaling Pete, but right now the focus is obviously resting and preparing for the next match.

Q. His example, how he achieved it, how has that affected the way youíve approached your career and your play at Wimbledon?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I particularly remember obviously the end of his career, because before that I was honestly following more Becker and Edberg. But I admired, you know, how he stuck around, how he tried to win maybe one more, maybe two more.

Obviously was a big surprise and a shock that I was able to break his five Wimbledons in a row here. I went on to do it myself. It was quite odd actually.

But for me it was an inspiration for sure, as well, you know, to see somebody while I was coming up dominating the game and breaking the all‑time Grand Slam record. Iím sure that inspired me in some ways.

Q. Can you talk about your two prospective opponents in the finals. Andyís record in Grand Slam finals is consistent but not great. Is that a source of hoe for you? And Tsonga, presumably you have unfinished business with him at Wimbledon after last year.

ROGER FEDERER: Iíve played him many times since. I lost to him in Montrťal after that, then beat him at the Open, and then beat him I think three straight times in two weeks at the end of the year.

So weíve played many times since, which I think helps me, to be quite honest, because I was still affected by that loss, I do believe, in Montrťal, because he came out and, again, played amazing. I know he can do it again. Thatís why I also respect Jo in a big way.

And then against Andy, obviously I have I think a losing record against him.

Q. Not in finals.

ROGER FEDERER: Okay, fine. Thatís something for you to talk about. But for me I know how good Andy is. Finals are or finals, Iíve had my tough losses with him as well. I remember the losses I had against him, in the finals particularly in Shanghai where he crushed me, and in Toronto I believe it was.

I had a good win against him in Dubai which was on a quick court. Honestly, we havenít played much in the last couple of years because of us being ranked 3 or 4 for sometime now. We always ended up in Novak or Rafaís hands and one would win but not both usually, so then we wouldnít see each other very often.

But if I do play Andy itís quite interesting, because we havenít played each other very often lately.

Q. Having just beaten the defending champion in a high‑caliber match, do you have to build yourself up again for the final and guard against any complacency?

ROGER FEDERER: No, not for me. Iím aware that the tournamentís not over yet. I didnít break down crying and fell to my knees and thought the tournament is over and I achieved everything I ever wanted. (Laughter.)

Honestly, it happens faster than you think it does. Then all of a sudden you come out the next match and youíre not the same anymore because youíre emotionally too drained already and you think itís been a great tournament.

I know itís been a great tournament, but weíll assess that once the tournament is over. Right now I want to try to play the best possible final I can.

Q. You said before that nobody told you if the court was in your favor or not with the roof. But do you hope the final will be played with the roof or not depending on your opponent?

ROGER FEDERER: Outdoors, I hope. Thatís what itís supposed to be here.

Q. How do you explain the fact that the first two sets, the serve was dominating the match, and then suddenly you start to play a lot of rallies which you were losing?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, we didnít have that many long rallies in the first couple of sets. Itís always hard to find rhythm maybe, letís be honest. Well, I mean, itís hard to fire bullets the whole time, so you try to also find some range. If he tees off first, itís hard to defend obviously.

It is grass, after all. Itís just not as easy to take that many balls out and, you know, come up with amazing shots time and time again. Thatís why I kept on attacking ‑ particularly I started to return much better as the match went on ‑ because I played a decent first set in return.

In the second set I wasnít very happy and I tried to take some adjustments, particularly on the second serve, and all those things worked really well. Then I was able to be the aggressor once I got into the baseline rallies, which wasnít the case in that second set, for instance, and maybe a little bit of the first set, too.

Q. The crowd clearly wanted you to win today. Who would you rather face in the final? If it is Andy Murray, do you think the crowd will be as supportive on Sunday?

ROGER FEDERER: I thought it actually was very respectful towards both players today. Thatís the feeling I got, particularly the first set, first couple of sets. I donít want to say there was that much to cheer about, but the points were awfully short.

The guy that had the break was in control. There wasnít that nail‑biter feeling quite yet. That started to come along in the third and fourth set, I thought. But I did feel big crowd support towards the end. You felt like they really wanted me to win, which is obviously a nice feeling.

Now for the finals, of course Iíd love to play Murray. I always say in whatever country I am I like to play the local hero, I kind of call them, and Andy is exactly that here at Wimbledon.

So I hope the match comes along, even though I like Jo very much. Here it would be very special playing against him.

I donít know. I hope I have some crowd support, but itís not the very most important thing right now.

Q. What is your biggest challenge going into this match, considering youíve been here so many times before?

ROGER FEDERER: Uhm, I mean, I wasnít nervous at all today before the match. I was almost a bit surprised I wasnít more nervous.

But then again, I think thatís good sometimes. That means Iím in a good place mentally. And you got to be that for the finals, as well.

Of course, thereís a lot on the line for me. Iím not denying that. I have a lot of pressure, as well. Iím looking forward to that. Thatís what I work hard for. Iíve worked extremely hard since I lost that match point against Novak last year at the US Open. My run has been extremely good. Now I have a chance at world No. 1, at the title again all at once.

So itís a big match for me and I hope I can keep my nerves. Iím sure I can. Then hopefully win the match. But weíll see about that.

Q. You spoke a moment ago about Andy being the local hero. What have been your observations over the years on the weight of Murray mania and the countryís attention to this tournament and this player?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, it reminds me a little bit of Australia maybe because you donít have the amount of players you do have from, say, from France or from America. So the focus is more on one player or maybe a couple.

So I think this is what is so particular here in this country is that thereís so much attention on that one player, which is Andy Murray. Letís be happy that heís such a great player that he lets that sort of hype last because he always remains in the tournament for so long. I think thatís whatís particular about it.

Heís only going to get better as time goes by. Thatís what heís been proving. Itís going to be interesting to see if heís going to make it to the finals. Iíd love it, you know. Yeah, so I think heís actually handled it very well from what Iíve seen from afar.

http://freedomtennis.wordpress.com/2012/07/06/roger-federer-july-06-2012/#more-570

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God

One of my favorite rallys from the semi final:

Insane rally from Federer against Djokovic