Author Topic: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!  (Read 841075 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Re: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!
« Reply #11820 on: September 04, 2012, 12:27:41 PM »
Roger's next match (34 consecutive QF in a major)....the streak continues!
Hope he can get by Berdych!

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:30:39 PM by Dallas »

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Re: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!
« Reply #11821 on: September 04, 2012, 12:30:37 PM »
D, will you hate me if I pull for Tomas in this one?  :)~  :innocent: :innocent:
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #11822 on: September 04, 2012, 12:31:33 PM »
D, will you hate me if I pull for Tomas in this one?  :)~  :innocent: :innocent:

No problem.  I know you like both of them.  But... GO ROGER!!!! :))

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #11823 on: September 04, 2012, 12:33:07 PM »

No problem.  I know you like both of them.  But... GO ROGER!!!! :))

Yeah, I guess at the end of the day, I will be happy with the result anyway  ;-()
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #11824 on: September 06, 2012, 10:48:41 AM »
An interview with: ROGER FEDERER

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

PRINT
THE MODERATOR:  Questions, please.

Q.  Usually like to serve first when you win the coin toss.  Today you choose the side.  Why?

ROGER FEDERER:  Well, if you follow me the whole time, it depends on the conditions and who I play.  Recently I have done that quite often, pick the side, and it worked well for me.  It did work well for me in the beginning.  I was up a break.  It was the right decision, so I don't regret that one.

Q.  What do you attribute the loss to tonight?  Was it Tomas just outplayed you?  You think you maybe came in maybe a little flat?  Maybe it was because of the schedule being off and so forth?

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I mean, I don't think the schedule was a problem for me.  I mean, I should come in here with tons of energy and ready to go.  Who knows, you know, if you get that day, that match in with Fish, come through with more confidence, maybe the first three matches didn't quite give me that.  Who knows?  I don't put that down as a negative, really.  Yeah, I just didn't come up with the goods tonight.  It was unfortunate.

Q.  I never see Berdych playing so well as when he plays with you.  Do you think there is a reason?  Against you he plays his best.

ROGER FEDERER:  Well, I don't know.  Maybe it's a good matchup for him.  I don't see him play every match he plays on tour.  That's why I can't really answer that question.

Q.  Incredible power that he hit the ball with tonight, do you think that was just a question of him overpowering you or did you give him maybe some shots that he was able to launch yourself into?

ROGER FEDERER:  I'm sure it was a combination of many things.  I mean, obviously I rarely go through matches where I have no chances, you know.  So obviously I missed some tonight again, but that's normal.  When you end up losing at the end, you know, you always hope that you made every chance you had.  It's just not possible.  He probably created more than I did, and that's why he ended up winning tonight.  The power is not really the issue here.  I don't think that was a problem for me.  The problem was elsewhere.

Q.  Could you just describe the mood or the feeling that you have right now?

ROGER FEDERER:  I'm disappointed, you know.  I really expect myself to play better tonight.  Especially at night I have had such a great record.  I don't know.  I felt good, you know.  Such an amazing summer I had.  I really thought I was going to come out and play a solid match.  I didn't do that tonight.  Obviously there is a bit of a letdown now.

Q.  How would you describe the level of Tomas' play and what your thoughts are about him moving forward?

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I mean, obviously he's got a good chance.  I think if he plays well and serves well and makes the right decisions before and during the match against Murray, obviously he's got a chance.  He's beaten him before.  Then again, it's going to depend on the conditions, day or night.  Obviously it's going to be day session, but you never know with the rain now.  So it's an interesting matchup, for sure.

Q.  Do you think maybe the four days off kind of maybe made you a little rusty with the forehand early on?

ROGER FEDERER:  (Shrugging.)  I don't know.  I hope not.  I have been there before.  Once I had six‑and‑a‑half days off and I ended up winning Wimbledon.  I don't think this was the issue tonight.

Q.  When you won the third set did you feel like the momentum was with you?

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, for a little bit.  I still was down two sets to one, so I wasn't celebrating too much.  It was good.  The momentum switch no doubt gave me a chance, put the score back to zero, put him further away from winning, and made the match go longer, make it more physical, more mental.  Yeah, so obviously I was excited winning the third, but the problem was the first couple of sets ‑ particularly the first one.

Q.  When you feel the crowd in the third set going so much behind you, do you feel that was an extra pressure on him and maybe the moment was a key moment, or is the first set the key moment of this match?

ROGER FEDERER:  The first?

Q.  Yeah.  Is the first set the key moment, or is the fourth set when you...

ROGER FEDERER:  Well, the fourth set all of a sudden ended quickly.  He played good the last couple of points on my serve I think at 30‑All.  But that's always a danger with Tomas if you're down in the score and he can take some chances.  He's obviously a shot‑maker, so, yeah, it's dangerous.  I should never lose the first set.  But anyway, it happens.  Move on.

Q.  There is still a lot of tennis to go this year, and you had a stunning fall season last year.  The slams and Olympics are over.  Could you just assess, describe the year for you?  Obviously you felt it was pretty darn good.

ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I mean, I'd love to talk to you about that forever, but the season is not over yet.  Like you said, it's ongoing.  Yeah, I mean, I said a hundred times that's been amazing.  Back to world No. 1; won Wimbledon.  I could not have asked for more.  I got also a medal for Switzerland.  I could not be more proud.  Obviously don't need to talk too much about that.  I lost the match.  That's what I think about it right now.

Q.  If there were differences in the match ‑ you mentioned the word "regret" before ‑ do you have any regrets about this match?  Would you play it differently in different parts in any way?

ROGER FEDERER:  Well, I mean, in terms of that I tried I don't have any regrets there.  That's been long gone.  Regrets were early in my days.  I was trying to come through and I couldn't figure out how to always be in great shape, always be in a good mood to play, always ready to practice, all that stuff.  So I had regrets from way back when, but I think I made up for that.  Today I always know I'm going to put in the best fight.  I did that tonight again with what I had.  Obviously I wish I could have played better, you know.  So many moments I thought, Man, it's just not happening for me.  It was just a very disappointing match for me.

Q.  Would finishing world No. 1 end of the year still be the ultimate achievement for you, do you think?

ROGER FEDERER:  Well, yeah, I've got to go back to the drawing board from here and see what's really the priority, if that's a priority for the end of the year.  So I don't know right now.  I mean, the goal has been achieved, but now this is disappointing for me.  We'll see where I go from now and if I go to Davis Cup or not, about what's to come for the remainder for the season.  That obviously then ‑‑ No. 1 has another a role to play, but this obviously is a setback.  But again, season is not over.  I hope to finish strong at the end, and particularly in the indoor season then.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #11825 on: September 06, 2012, 10:52:45 AM »
An interview with: TOMAS BERDYCH

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

PRINT

Q.  You must be absolutely delighted with that performance of sheer intensity and power and also mental strength?

TOMAS BERDYCH:  Yeah, I mean, probably there was everything just right today, so that's get up the results or the result what was happening on court.  Yeah, probably there was not a ‑‑ well, not a bad spot.  Of course that I lost the third set.  But, you know, I cannot count on I'm going to be beating Roger in straight sets and not to get in any trouble.  So, you know, I was always, you know, careful that anything could happen.  Actually, it happened in the third set that, you know, he came strongly back.  But for that, you know, I'm even more happy with the way that I was able to, you know, hold his pressure and then, you know, add something extra for the fourth set.

Q.  You always play well against Federer, or almost always against him.  Do you think you match up particularly well with him considering what he is or, I mean, the champion he is?

TOMAS BERDYCH:  Well, I mean, it's tough to say, you know.  It's still 11‑5 or something for him.  So, you know, I know, but it's probably the way that, with my game, I'm able to make him some trouble, you know.  That even if he's playing well and then we play a match together, then, you know, probably ‑‑ or probably ‑‑ there is something in my game that he doesn't like and it makes him a bit struggle, I would say, and maybe bring him out of his comfort zone that he always like to be on court.  He always like to have a time and he always like to have ‑‑ you know, be the one who is dictating the game.  If there is someone different, then someone else who can be in his position, then that's the way I'm, you know, you know, successful in couple of matches with him.

Q.  How can your game give Andy Murray similarly any trouble?

TOMAS BERDYCH:  Well, I mean, there is probably not ‑‑ there is probably no secret that I can bring something up, you know, that I will do something differently for my next match.  It's gonna be the way that, you know, I have a few days off to get ready, to get rest, to prepare again, and, you know, try to keep my game on the same level.  As I said in the beginning, if my game is well and I'm able to play my game, then I have a quite dangerous game to beat anyone.

Q.  In the fourth set when he's coming back stronger and the crowd is really behind him, they are cheering on your first serve and when you miss, what's going through your mind?  Do you keep all of this away, or do you feel the pressure on the court?

TOMAS BERDYCH:  Well, I just felt it in the end of the third set, you know, where he took the break back.  Then he made another one, you know, and he was really pushing, you know.  And then, yeah, the set was over.  He still needs two more; I need only one.  I was still in the better position.  That was the way that I was actually mentally ready for that, that I'm still in bigger advantage.  I just need to stay as close as possible with him.  Either if the crowd is gonna be on his side he's gonna be play well, but whatever is happen, I was just trying to stay close and, yeah, I got a chance.  I made it, and then finish it with my serve.

Q.  You looked very confident out there.  Where is this coming from?  What's your motivation out there tonight?

TOMAS BERDYCH:  What do you think is the other the kind of motivation I can have?  You know, I play against Roger, one of the greatest players in the world.  I play my first night session match.  I mean, theres thousands of reasons of the motivation, you know.  That's it, you know.  I mean, that's for me the biggest challenge I can have, and, you know, that's how it is.

Q.  How much did it hurt when you actually fell over in the fourth set?  Almost a blow to your pride to lose your footing?  You got up and you got your mind right back into it straight after that.

TOMAS BERDYCH:  Well, as long as my hands ‑‑ actually you cannot see.  It looks like this.  I don't have the blisters, but quite hard hand.  I was able to, you know, I just scratched a little bit of my hard skin on the hand.  Then I was quite able to hold the racquet.  Because actually this one could be quite dangerous, because if you make something on your hands then and you cannot hold the racquet.  That could be worse than any other injury.  So finally I was lucky and, you know, to hold it up and then, you know, to hold my racquet quite well, have a feeling still in that.  You know, I just, yeah, throw it away.  Yeah, it happens.  But, I mean, it was just one of the incredible shots that Roger make.  So, yeah, it was a good shot from him.

Q.  How do you consider your year so far?  Before tonight, were you satisfied with the year you had, or now this win makes a sort of big change, in a way, because your first semifinal of the US Open, you beat Federer, and so on?

TOMAS BERDYCH:  Well, if the year would be good or great or I don't know how to say that, then you add in the result like that, then you get a bonus or you get another great result.  (Smiling.)  I don't know comparing to, let's say, Madrid final or ‑‑ I don't know the other results.  It's tough to say, you know.  It's another one.  It's my semifinal here, which is the first one, and extremely happy for that beating Roger.  That doesn't happen every day.  So, yeah, this makes the season much, much better, yeah.

Q.  Has this been a different meaning than the one you had in Wimbledon few years ago when you beat Roger in Wimbledon?  Is this feeling different now compared to this year?  Are you a different player now?

TOMAS BERDYCH:  Well, I think I'm a different player than the years before.  I would say I'm more experienced than that time.  Well, yeah, actually the situation in Wimbledon was quite similar, especially with the end of the match, you know, where actually I was 5‑4‑up going for the serve.  The time actually on the changeover was, you know, at that time quite hard for me because it was the first time to beating him on the Grand Slam and that time in Wimbledon.  But this is the experience what I already learn from it.  This time I made it much better and finish it in the way I did and serving just great.  Yeah, it's a bit different.  It's another match, another tournament.  So, yeah, it comes.

Q.  There was a moment when he hit a volley and it just dropped in.  Then you turned your racquet around and it looked like you were playing it like a guitar.  Were you as relaxed as you looked at that moment?

TOMAS BERDYCH:  Yeah.  You cannot be anything else, you know.  When you play really great shots, really great rally, and then he come up with a shot like that, then, you know, I just give him my credit for that.  And it was not only this point.  I mean, he did many others like this.  But, yeah, that's Roger.  You know, with him it's not luck.  He really knows, you know, how to hit those shots and actually how to read the situation to make the shot happen.  Yeah, just, you know, I have to laugh.  There is nothing else to do.

Q.  You have a good record against Andy, but is he a different player because of what's happened this year in terms of the gold medal and the way he played in the final for the first time rather than not winning a set?  Is he a different proposition for you now?

TOMAS BERDYCH:  We'll see after the match if he's going to be something different or not.

Q.  Does he appear to be different having Ivan?  He doesn't seem to blow up so much.

TOMAS BERDYCH:  Well probably he reach the results you said, won the gold medal and has been in the final of Wimbledon, so probably it helps to him a lot.  But as I said, you know, probably similar to matches with Roger.  You know, even if he's playing well and then, you know, I come up with my game, which probably him doesn't like maybe too much like the other guys, so then, you know, I bring something different and that could be my chance.

Q.  One of the other big upsets this year was Lukas Rosol beating Nadal at Wimbledon.  Do you think there is something in the Czech mentality that sort of makes you guys less afraid of big wins than other countries?

TOMAS BERDYCH:  Well, I just hope you're not comparing me with Lukas Rosol.  Do you?  (Laughter.)

Q.  No, I'm not saying that.  I'm just saying...

TOMAS BERDYCH:  You did.  You just said that there was a big upset and Rosol will beat Nadal and then you mentioned my match here.

Q.  Okay.

TOMAS BERDYCH:  Okay, good.  So first of all, I don't think that we are in the same position, that it's actually that big upset.  But all right, you said that.  Well, I don't know what else to say.  I mean, is it something wrong that we are from Czech and beating big guys?  No?  Good.  Okay,

Q.  It's a good thing.

TOMAS BERDYCH:  It's a good thing, yeah.  So, yeah, we will try to do it for next time again.

Q.  Is there anything that you have done to turn your form around after disappointing results at Wimbledon and the Olympics?

TOMAS BERDYCH:  Well, yeah, actually I did.  You know, I took a break after Wimbledon, which, you know, because after the first, I would say, half of the season, which was quite hard for me and I felt quite tired, then, you know, I made it like as a decision.  Then, you know, always everybody comes, you know, to say that when you're not playing extremely well in the first tournament after that that it was a mistake and why he did that, and, you know, all these things like this way.  But, you know, I still knew that there was my decision, and that's for my tennis.  You know, I did a good preparation for it and actually that's the results, so, you know, I did it.  I'm happy that I made it, yeah.

Q.  What's it going to be like not only Andy Murray you're playing against but one of the Czech greats, Ivan Lendl, he will be helping Murray?  What will that be like for you?

TOMAS BERDYCH:  Well, I already had that experience from Monte‑Carlo, and since then we didn't play each other.  So so far when Ivan is with Andy I think we have it 1‑all.  Well, it would be nice to maybe, you know, to get to the lead.  But, you know, I think he's gonna try to do the same.  It's gonna be a nice match.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #11826 on: September 18, 2012, 12:29:02 PM »
Fun after Davis Cup for the Swiss.  Interview in Swiss German, French, and Roger does it in English for the "English Speaking fans".

The Swiss Davis Cup Team meets the Swiss fans after their victory over the Netherlands

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #11827 on: September 18, 2012, 12:50:36 PM »

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:51:12 PM by Dallas »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Highlights from Roger's Lu match:

Roger Federer Vs Yen Lu HIGHLIGHTS Shanghai Rolex Masters 2012 [HD]

Interview:
October 10, 2012

Roger Federer

SHANGHAI, CHINA

R. FEDERER/Y. Lu
6‑3, 7‑5

Q.  It seemed pretty straightforward.  Can you talk about the match, how you felt about it.
ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I thought it was a good match for me.  Obviously not having been broken is a good thing early on in a tournament.  You hope it sets a trend for more to come.
It's just about sort of getting a sense of how to play the points again, even though it's been a couple of weeks.  But my last matches have been on clay.  You always wonder if you have lost something in the meantime.  But I'm happy that things worked out well today because Lu I thought played a pretty good match.  He's got the game to be really dangerous, particularly on a fast court like today.  I was able to manage.  That was a good thing too me, so I'm really happy.

Q.  I assume you felt no worry about the death threat or anything, you felt comfortable?
ROGER FEDERER:  I felt fine, you know.  There was maybe one quick thought.  I saw one of the bodyguards outside of the court.  I thought, Still around, obviously.  I have bodyguards every time I play a match on a center court, which is normal.
Once the match started, got underway, I never thought about it again.

Q.  You always have been an all‑time favorite in Shanghai.  Tonight I think the crowd wanted Lu to win more.  What do you think about that?
ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, look, I mean, I don't understand Chinese quite well enough yet, so I don't know what they were chanting.  I was trying to tell myself they were cheering for me very strongly, but I don't think it was the case (smiling).  It's okay.
In some ways I would have hoped to play the Chinese player, who Lu beat in the first round, because that would have been a first.
It's good crowds, though.  It was nice to see the Shanghai crowd get into it, be excited about the match, even if it was maybe more so for Lu.
I mean, he played inspiring tennis at times.  It was a good atmosphere and a nice match to play.  If that was the case that they were cheering for him, which I thought they were, that caught me a little bit off guard, to be quite honest.

Q.  You say your last matches were on clay obviously.  You're a man that always comes in prepared.  I'm assuming you've been practicing on hard courts.  Were you in Dubai or in Switzerland?
ROGER FEDERER:  I was in Dubai for some time now.  I practiced four times maybe while I was there.  Nothing major.  It was just more about keeping the rhythm, making sure I don't take too long of a break in case I was going to play here.  Obviously I had Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday here.  Once it even rained.  So I haven't practiced a whole lot.  I couldn't really work on my game.
This was just more sort of a maintaining couple of weeks, making sure that when I do come back again, you know, I don't get injured, all those things.
I'm happy actually considering the last few weeks that this was a decent first round.

Q.  When was the decision made to come here?
ROGER FEDERER:  Monday or Tuesday.

Q.  That late?
ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, it was very late.

Q.  Do you know you are match away from securing 300 weeks at No.1?
ROGER FEDERER:  I hope it's correct.  I hope it's correct.

Q.  It is correct.
ROGER FEDERER:  Sometimes you do it and then they say, One more match.  You never know.

Q.  You keep winning.
ROGER FEDERER:  Okay, you have to win 10 more years to reach 300 weeks.
I'm obviously excited.  It's a big number, even though 299 or 300 doesn't make a big difference for me.  It's obviously a big match for me.  If you look back, there's many matches there was a lot on the line, so this is just another one.
Obviously it's not a final, so I'm not going to go in super nervous about it.  It's just more, you know, the difficulty also playing a good friend.  That adds to the special occasion, I guess, tomorrow.

Q.  In China a micro‑blogging service has over 274 million users, including Andy Murray, Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova, Li Na.  Will you use that because your fans here are looking forward to following you?
ROGER FEDERER:  On what?

Q.  A micro‑blogging service.
ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, we'll see.  Time will tell.

Q.  Finally China has not only one but two players in the top 200.  This is the first time it's happened in the past 10 or something years.  Do you realize the progression they've made?  Have you practiced with any of them in Shanghai?
ROGER FEDERER:  Not this time around.  I think I practiced with some of them the last few times I was here.  I always thought they were playing pretty good tennis.  I'm not surprised to see some of them making their move, getting some decent wins now.  That can inspire an entire generation.  So it's good to see.
I have the feeling that once the Chinese male players break through, there could be quite a few of them.  I'm obviously not quite aware of how the whole practice, how they do it, how the whole coaching staff is organized here.  I'm sure it's very professional.  I'm sure they're hard‑working, because that's what you have to be at this day and age to make it on the Pro Tour.  Hopefully the next few months or years I'll play some of them.  It would be nice.  Something I'm looking forward to.

Q.  You say you feel like you'll be able to play another few years if you stay healthy.  I would suspect the little ones are getting closer to school age.  Have you thought about how you would deal with that, whether you would travel without them?
ROGER FEDERER:  Look, I'm here by myself this week.  Eventually it's just going to be the natural course of how it's going to go.  Maybe I have to then go by myself.  Sometimes I can take them along.  Sometimes you just don't go.  You manage your schedule.  It depends where you are in your life.  Maybe I'm not playing anymore.
They're only three, so I still have some time.  It's going to be interesting to see how it's all going to play out.  At the moment we're not thinking about it too much.  We're going month by month and hopefully have a good schedule in place for not only the kids and Mirka, but also for myself, tennis, for practice, vacation.  Everything needs to be well settled, well organized to make this work obviously.
I think a lot about it to make it all happen because there is a lot on the plate for everyone.

Q.  You mentioned the security.  Are you aware the guy who apparently posted the threat apologized?  Any thoughts on that?
ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I mean, I've heard about it many days ago.  I guess that's another thing that came out recently.
Yeah, I mean, what do you want me to say about it?  I think it's not something I want to spend too much time thinking about to be honest because it shouldn't have been in the press in the first place.  It's in the past now.

Q.  When you were here last time, 2010, you were alone.  What have you been doing to kill your time in Shanghai?
ROGER FEDERER:  I've been busy.  I've been busy.  As you surely know, I have many promotions to do for the tournament because I want to.  At the end of the day it's my choice to do all the events.  I like to push tennis here in this part of the world if I'm already here.  Then I had a couple of sponsor appearances, press.  This time around I had a lot of ATP political things to go through, which was interesting to say the least.  Obviously I practiced, too.  I'm here trying to get prepared as well as I can.  You kind of go from there.  Now I play matches.
Sleep in, play late.  Sleep in, play late.  That's sort of the schedule now.  I don't have much time to get around anymore.  It's now spending most time at the courts right now.

Q.  You meant to practice on Court 4 today with Zhang Ze.  It didn't happen.  Do you think he will have a chance to practice with you?
ROGER FEDERER:  I'm sure he will have a chance.  Hopefully tomorrow.

Q.  There's a famous football player Nicolas Anelka that came to watch your match.  Did you know that?  It seems you have a lot of (indiscernible) with football, Brazil, do some work with football teams.  Is that true?
ROGER FEDERER:  I'll try to answer.
Yeah, I love soccer obviously.  It's where it started for me, as well, like tennis.  I joined a soccer club when I was very young.  I've always been a big fan of the sport.  I've seen Nicolas play.  Wonderful soccer player.
Me taking pictures with the Brazilian soccer shirt was something we did for the tour in Brazil now coming up.  We had some fun with it, me playing volleyball and soccer.  Yeah, I obviously have received many, many great jerseys over the years from some of the greatest soccer players out there.  Obviously I appreciate that.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:39:26 AM by Dallas »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
From the Warwinka match:

What shot was this?

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

By winning against Stan, he guarantees 300 weeks at #1

Roger Federer is guaranteed to be No. 1 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings for a 300th week on Monday after a hard-fought 4-6, 7-6(4), 6-0 victory over his Swiss compatriot Stanislas Wawrinka at the Shanghai Rolex Masters.

Wawrinka got off to a strong start to win just his fourth set in 13th meetings against Federer on Thursday evening. He lost nine of his service points and saved two break points.

At 4-4 in the second set, Federer got himself out of trouble from 0/30 and 30/40 when backhand errors cost Wawrinka, who was forced to save one set point at 5-6, 30/40. Federer opened up a 3-1 in the tie-break, but Wawrinka levelled the score only to see his friend raise his game. Federer clinched the set when Wawrinka send a backhand wide.

It was one-way traffic in the decider, as Federer lost just five points to complete victory in just under two hours at the Qi Zhong Stadium. This week, Federer is bidding to win a record 22nd ATP World Tour Masters 1000 crown and tie John McEnroe on 77 tour-level titles.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/10/41/Shanghai-Thursday-Federer-Retains-World-No-1.aspx
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:35:49 AM by Dallas »

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
From the Warwinka match:

What shot was this?

Congrats to Roger on achieving one more milestone in his long and distinguished career! 300 weeks at the top is an astounding record considering the women's #1 changes every few months.. Carry on, Roger!!
As to 'the shot', a cricketer would call it a 'straight drive', although the point of contact is too far from the body for my liking  :)~  Don't they say: ''Necessity is the mother of invention''!! Well, here you have invention/innovation on a tennis court!! :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:27:45 PM by propstoart »

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Dallas - I hope that "shot" made the highlight reel. I'm looking forward to it tonight.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
This is a good article from Skysports.com on the string of records that Roger Federer has broken over the course of his career:

Roger's records

As Roger Federer secures a 300th week on top of the world rankings, Andy Schooler looks at some of his greatest feats.

By Andy Schooler (Twitter: @NetTalkTennis).   Last Updated: October 11, 2012 5:21pm

Tennis fans have long admired Roger Federer's style of play but his greatest legacy may well prove to be the rewriting of the history books.

Federer's feats have ensured he will be mentioned on a regular basis in the years to come as media pundits and fans alike compare his achievements to those in future eras.

The Swiss great has penned another chapter in those books on Thursday when he beat Stanislas Wawrinka in Shanghai to ensure a 300th week on top of the world rankings.

It is the latest in a long line of records to fall to Federer. In awe of such achievements, Andy Schooler decided to look at some of the greatest.
Most weeks as world number one

This tally will reach an incredible 300 on Monday. The latest of Federer's records translates as getting on for six years at the summit of his sport. The majority came between February 2004 and August 2008 - 237 consecutive weeks being another record. He returned to top spot in 2009 but lost it in 2010 - falling agonisingly one week short of Pete Sampras' tally of 286 weeks when he lost the match he needed to win to claim the record - against Robin Soderling at the French Open. However, this year's Wimbledon success saw him hit the summit for a third time and claim the record and now he has reached another milestone.
Grand Slam singles titles

Federer has 17; Sampras managed 14 - the next best. He was eclipsed back in 2009. Recent form would suggest Federer can extend this record even further. He has seven Wimbledon titles, five US Open crowns, four Australian Open trophies and one French Open on his CV. Victory over Andy Murray earlier this month drew him level with Sampras and 19th-century player William Renshaw as the most successful of all time at Wimbledon. At the US Open, Federer is tied for the Open-era best with Jimmy Connors and Sampras, while he is in a two-way tie in the Open era with Andre Agassi in Australia.
Grand Slam singles finals

Federer's tally of 24 major finals puts him well clear of his nearest rival - Ivan Lendl, who reached 19. Lendl won just eight of his. Federer has won 17. In addition, no other player has reached eight finals at Wimbledon since the abolition of the 'challenge round' - the defending champion used to get a bye to the final.
Consecutive Grand Slam finals

Jack Crawford made seven straight finals in the 1930s but Federer qualified for 10 in succession from Wimbledon 2005 to the 2007 US Open. He also made eight in a row from the 2008 French Open to the 2010 Australian Open.
Grand Slam match wins

Federer has won 247 Grand Slam singles matches. He overtook Jimmy Connors' record of 233 at this year's French Open. If you are interested, Federer has lost 37 times in Grand Slam play. He also stands alone as the only man to have won at least 50 matches at all four Grand Slam tournaments.

Grand Slam semi-finals

Wimbledon saw Federer become the player with the most Grand Slam semi-final appearances - 32 - passing Connors (31). The latter was aged 39 when he made his last semi-final. Federer is currently 30.
Consecutive Grand Slam quarter-finals

At the recent US Open, Federer reached his 34th consecutive Grand Slam quarter-final - another Open-era record. It is one which underlines his incredible consistency, not to mention his physical fitness.
Consecutive Grand Slam semi-finals

Many argue this is the most impressive of Federer's records. He reached 23 semi-finals in a row from Wimbledon in 2004 to the Australian Open of 2010. His feat annihilates the previous best streak of 10 which both Rod Laver and Ivan Lendl managed.
Career Grand Slam

Federer is one of just seven male players to have completed the career Grand Slam of winning all four major tournaments. He stands alongside Fred Perry, Don Budge, Rod Laver, Roy Emerson, Andre Agassi and Rafael Nadal. Only Federer, Agassi and Nadal won on three different surfaces.
Winning Grand Slam years

By winning at least one Grand Slam title each year from 2003 to 2010, Federer sits alongside Bjorn Borg, Sampras and Nadal as the only players to have won a Slam eight years in a row.
Consecutive match wins

Federer won 40 matches in a row at the US Open between 2004 and 2009, another Open-era record. He has also managed 40 wins in a row at Wimbledon but that left him one short of Borg's record of 41. He does, however, hold the record for consecutive grasscourt match wins. Between 2003 and 2008, Federer racked up 65 victories in a row on the surface. Nadal ended the streak in their memorable 2008 Wimbledon final.
Consecutive final wins

Federer won a record 24 finals in succession from October 2003 to September 2005.
Tournament titles in a single season

Federer won 12 titles in 2006 and this shares this record with Thomas Muster.

And one still to come, perhaps...
ATP level titles

Federer has won a total of 76 ATP titles (including Grand Slams) but that still puts him well short of Jimmy Connors' tally of 109. Ivan Lendl (94) and John McEnroe (77) are also ahead of the Swiss on this particular list.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 01:21:55 PM by propstoart »

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
This is a good article from Skysports.com on the string of records that Roger Federer has broken over the course of his career:

Roger's records

And one still to come, perhaps...
ATP level titles

Federer has won a total of 76 ATP titles (including Grand Slams) but that still puts him well short of Jimmy Connors' tally of 109. Ivan Lendl (94) and John McEnroe (77) are also ahead of the Swiss on this particular list.

To me this one is not very relevant as those guys racked up a ton of titles in the early 80s when the ATP Tour consisted of a lot of 28-man fields where there wouldn't be any other top 10 players. Those kind of events don't exist for a long time now. To me Roger getting to 80 titles would cinch it.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Roger won his first match today in Basel!  Beating Becker 75 63!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Walk-on:
2012Swiss Indoors Basel 1R R.Federer v B.Becker walk on

2012Swiss Indoors Basel 1R R.Federer v B.Becker walk on
[/url]

First set:

2012Swiss Indoors Basel 1R R.Federer v B.Becker set1

2nd set:

2012Swiss Indoors Basel 1R R.Federer v B.Becker set2
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:03:19 PM by Dallas »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Even though Roger lost the final in Basel, he still carried on his tradition of pizza with the ball kids:

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:57:49 AM by Dallas »