Author Topic: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!  (Read 832451 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Re: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!
« Reply #11860 on: December 26, 2012, 01:20:15 PM »
I'm planning to be evil tonight, like really super evil and  I will crush your Fed dreams. the biggest loser in tennis history. It's all about, me, me, meeeeeeeeeeeee, the most egocentric tennis player I've ever seen ... oh Nole is the best right now (sure he is atm), but when Nole was 18yo a big old Fed called him a nobody, he said Nole had no talent, almighty Fed dared to call a young 18yo Djokovic a nobody who ''will never achieve anything' ...  just a stupid punk ...  full of him self. NO, I will never like Fed, not in thousands years. he said so much sh!t about Nole and Rafa, behaving like a smart ass most of the time. Nadal owns him, and Djokovic will own him too soon. The most over rated player in tennis history. I despise Federer and see so many glory hunters here.

again, could someone remind me what h2h Rafa (owning Fed anywhere), Dallas, could you speak? lol ...

Love you too Alex! :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:  You can't say anything that will upset me... (I know you!) :rofl_2:  Anyway...hope you had a great Christmas and hope you'll have a fantastic New Years as well.  You try to be 'hard-up'...but you're just a softy, Alex.... :))

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Re: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!
« Reply #11861 on: December 26, 2012, 02:41:07 PM »
I'm planning to be evil tonight, like really super evil and  I will crush your Fed dreams. the biggest loser in tennis history. It's all about, me, me, meeeeeeeeeeeee, the most egocentric tennis player I've ever seen ... oh Nole is the best right now (sure he is atm), but when Nole was 18yo a big old Fed called him a nobody, he said Nole had no talent, almighty Fed dared to call a young 18yo Djokovic a nobody who ''will never achieve anything' ...  just a stupid punk ...  full of him self. NO, I will never like Fed, not in thousands years. he said so much sh!t about Nole and Rafa, behaving like a smart ass most of the time. Nadal owns him, and Djokovic will own him too soon. The most over rated player in tennis history. I despise Federer and see so many glory hunters here.

again, could someone remind me what h2h Rafa (owning Fed anywhere), Dallas, could you speak? lol ...

Love you too Alex! :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:  You can't say anything that will upset me... (I know you!) :rofl_2:  Anyway...hope you had a great Christmas and hope you'll have a fantastic New Years as well.  You try to be 'hard-up'...but you're just a softy, Alex.... :))

you too Dallas, Merry Christmas and all the best to you and your family. I'm glad you recognized my sarcasm. It was inspired by some silly Nole fans on MTF ... I was laughing so hard, so I had to pop up here and say this ... hm, I still think that Fed is arrogant tho  :)~ ... the problem is Djokovic and Nadal are are not much better although, Rafa (with his accent, praising Fed all the time) is a great actor :)) ... oh well, I guess we are all bored, and I'm trying so hard to create some excitement.

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #11862 on: December 28, 2012, 01:38:13 PM »
Guys, I believe Roger is blessed to have a stellar trio like Rafael, Novak and Andy chasing him.. This has forced his tennis evolution and ultimately made him a better player.. Look, Roger will remain my #1, but the three Muzz-keteers have their own endearing traits..

I was watching the re-run of last year's Aussie Open final [the best encounter in tennis history, IMO] and at the end of the epic, during the presentation ceremony, seeing Rafa and Nole  overcome by exhaustion, unable to stand still for a moment, then offered chairs and a bottle of water to relax... It was hilarious  :rofl_2:..

Muzza has a dry, self-deprecating sense of humour as well.. Nole is the showman in the trio, but they are all funny in their own ways.. Rafa with his obsession with the water bottles, Nole's impersonations, dances, etc. make it fun following tennis.. I hope Muzza reveals more of his funny side to the public eye as he enjoys his status as Grand Slam champion in the seasons to come..

Here's wishing a Happy New Year to all tennis stars and us fans!  :)) :))

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Federer Thinks the Courts are Quicker at this Years Australian Open

http://www.perfect-tennis.co.uk/federer-courts-quicker-australian-open-2013/

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Federer Thinks the Courts are Quicker at this Years Australian Open

http://www.perfect-tennis.co.uk/federer-courts-quicker-australian-open-2013/

I read that.  I guess it might be good for the big servers.  I hope (good for Roger too) though...

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

The girls at the AO

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Roger won against Davydenko.  (I was a little worried about that one):

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:45:26 PM by Dallas »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
My verdict is still out on the pink shoes....

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
My verdict is still out on the pink shoes....

Offline Alex

• Tennis God

Anna Wintour thinks this is the way to go for Federina (spring this year).

sorry guys, couldn't help it  :rofl_2:.

Rog, just def. that punk Tomic and I'll get some pink socks  :ice cream:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Anna Wintour thinks this is the way to go for Federina (spring this year).

sorry guys, couldn't help it  :rofl_2:.

Rog, just def. that punk Tomic and I'll get some pink socks  :ice cream:

Very funny Alex....

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Q.  What did you learn?

BERNARD TOMIC:  Look, I thought it was a really good match.  The first two sets we played really good tennis.  It came down to one point, I think.

I was pretty satisfied with my tennis.  I was competing out there, trying to hang in there with him.  He just came up with, you know, good stuff when he really needed it the most.

Q.  That tiebreak, was that some of the best tennis you played?

BERNARD TOMIC:  Yeah, probably.  I think close to the end of the second set was amazing tennis from both sides.  We were striking the ball so good, hitting winners of any shot on the court.  Just surprised how he came out from 5 2.  We had a lot of long rallies at that 5 2 period.  He played some good tennis just to get back.  I had a chance there and I missed it.  Would have been different up 6 2 or 6 3 in that tiebreak.  It would have been huge.

But unfortunately he got me, played better.  Like I said, I think that tiebreak was really good stuff.  We both played well.  He got the better of me being up two sets to love.

Q.  There was a point in the tiebreak where you challenged the call.  Was that designed to get up his nose?  Did you want to have a breath?

BERNARD TOMIC:  Oh, uhm, I didn't quite see it good.  I didn't quite see it.  I think it was a drop volley.  Yeah, I didn't quite see the ball.  I thought it might have been out.  Little did I know it was well in.

It was just funny because I lost all my challenges.  I think I had a chance to challenge at 5 4 when the ball was with close.  It sucks having zero challenges left in the tiebreak, but what can I say?

Q.  What do you take from the whole summer?

BERNARD TOMIC:  I mean, look, only he beat me.  I take that as something I learned a lot.  He stopped me, he beat me.  Full credit to him.  He was the best player and greatest of all time.  I'm going to continue to work hard.

It's just a matter of time when I get up to the big group of boys in the top 10.  I've got to believe and do the things that I was doing the last few weeks.  I know I'm going to be in there with this attitude.

Q.  Even more belief you can compete with these big boys?

BERNARD TOMIC:  Yeah, absolutely.  We both played pretty good out there in the first two sets.  I felt a little tired in the third.  He got the better of me.  I've been playing amazing tennis.  The first was really good apart from my first service game.  I felt that was important.  I started bad today and last time in Cincinnati, I lost my serve in the opening service game.  That's not a good thing to do against him, to lose your first game.  You lose a bit of confidence and belief.

From there we played good.  He was just hitting his sweet spots when he had to.  Couldn't ask for anything else.  But I was satisfied with myself.

Q.  Despite the loss, I suppose you want to get back to play as soon as you can.  What's your next tournament?

BERNARD TOMIC:  Yeah, I'm not sure what I'm doing now.  You know, I think Rotterdam, Marseille.  Probably take the next six days off, then train for a bit and then play Rotterdam, head to Marseille and then head to Dubai, those tournaments.

That's probably three weeks away, so it's a good period.  I can rest and train and get ready to do well in those tournaments.

Q.  A couple players during the tournament have made comments about more senior players like Kei Nishikori said David Ferrer and Ryan Harrison said Novak Djokovic, people they want to emulate.  Roger has been a childhood hero of yours.  Is he the benchmark of your game, for example?

BERNARD TOMIC:  Yeah, a lot of players, especially in the locker room, they idolize Roger.  You want to pick up anything you can from this sort of a player.  He is the greatest our sport's ever had.  You learn something every time you watch him.  I learned something tonight as well.

You use this and you use it in a good way.  It's going to make me a better player.  I'm going to keep working hard.  Point by point, I'm going to get my opportunities this year again and become a better player.

Q.  The choice of serving first, did you get the choice?

BERNARD TOMIC:  Yeah.  I elected to serve considering I was serving really well the last few weeks.  But that didn't matter first service game (smiling).

Q.  Not a great start.  Were there a few nerves, a bit tight?

BERNARD TOMIC:  Yeah, with sort of him, he starts really well.  That sort of player starts really well.  He always puts his opponent down.

A lot of players, when you play these sort of players like Roger or Novak, you lose belief before you get into the match.  80 or 90% of players that play the top guys, like with Roger, you lose your belief.

I got in there, I started to think after they mentioned all these Grand Slams leading up, Wimbledon champion six times, six times US Open champion (laughter).  Then I was, Oh, crap, it's Roger.  I try to block out who's on the other side of the net but couldn't quite do it after that announcement.

Yeah, but then that first service game was important.  I lost it.  Then I was like, Oh, no.

Q.  How different was your mindset going in to face Roger tonight compared with last year?

BERNARD TOMIC:  A lot different.  You know, I was confident that I could have pushed it.  I had a lot more chances than I did last year.  I played a lot better than I did last year.

Anything could have happened if I had won that important point in the tiebreak.  Giving myself two or three set points would you have been huge to turn the match around.

When he needs it the most, he plays amazing.  Today I didn't hit the right shot, didn't play the right point when I needed to.  He played the right tennis.

Q.  Did he say anything in particular to you after the game at the net?

BERNARD TOMIC:  Yeah.  He said, Keep going, you improved.  Every time I played him, he mentioned, Well done, Bernie, keep going, keep improving, which is a good thing, hearing that from somebody that's giving some advice.  Keep going, keep pushing yourself.

It's important you take that onboard because, you know, you can become a better player when you get information off the world's best.  You take that onboard and then you can use that to work on whatever you need to work on.

Right now I need to improve.  I'm going to keep improving.  I've improved a lot.  But to become someone like him, or even in that area, I've got to improve more.

Q.  Compare this to the previous meeting.

BERNARD TOMIC:  Yeah.  Just showed me that I'm playing better each year.  You know, I'm pushing myself in the off season.  That's why I'm playing the tennis I'm playing.

He beat me.  I'm satisfied with the result here in Melbourne, especially the last few weeks.  Just need to see what he does this tournament.  I'm barracking him to win.  I'm sure he has a good chance of winning.

And, yeah, it's always a good feeling if you can lose to the champion (smiling).

Q.  Something sharp on your pillow, Bernie?

BERNARD TOMIC:  That was actually my friend over here.  As I went to sleep, he woke me up.  He was staying right next door.  Don't know what he did that for.

Q.  You barely lost a match in Australia the last couple of years.  How do you sustain that form when you go overseas, like what Roger tried to challenge you to do last year?

BERNARD TOMIC:  Obviously he did.  I remember those words.  I didn't quite do it after I left here.

I've got the right goal, the mindset to do what it is I need to do.  I'm going to sit down and have my rest time, train, get ready for each tournament I play, like I did here, like I did last week and the week before.

It's a challenge, but I've committed to myself I'm up for it.  I can't wait for the next tournament to start, for me to start training and getting better.

Interview with Tomic after Roger's match:

Q.  Did you catch Sara's match this afternoon?

BERNARD TOMIC:  I saw it.  She won.  It's important for her.  First win in a Grand Slam junior event, which is huge.  My mum was really happy.  Thank God she got a win and got a feel for the courts.  Hopefully she can continue to win.  We'll see.

Access Player Links
Bernard Tomic Bio

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
.  How close do you think the match was for you?  You had all the right answers at the right times.  How close to the perfect match was it for you?

ROGER FEDERER:  I thought it was a good match overall.  I thought the intensity was good.  We had tough rallies.  The crowds were great.  So I really enjoyed myself out there.

Obviously, the result is something I was hoping for, but not sure going into it.  So I'm just really pleased that the outcome is what I was hoping for.  I'm happy also with my playing.  I thought I played really good today.  That's obviously important looking ahead.

Q.  Certain shots or points that surprised even you?

ROGER FEDERER:  By him?

Q.  By yourself?

ROGER FEDERER:  By myself?  No.  I've seen and felt myself playing before so many times that I feel I didn't come up with a shot that I never hit before in my life.  But we had some great ones and I had to be able to bring the whole repertoire, I guess, to the court today, defense and offense, which I enjoy.  Then when you do win those kind of matches, it's a good feeling afterwards.

Q.  Has he improved since you played him last?

ROGER FEDERER:  I played him Cincinnati last time around.  That was a quick court, best of three sets.  Over in a hurry really.  I got off to a good start in that match, as well.  Then it's over quickly.

I mean, I would think so.  He's obviously played today's match very differently than he did play the last couple matches I played against him.  Yes, I would think so.  He has improved.  Obviously he played me so different that it's hard to judge because I've never seen him play offensive tennis against me in the past.  So now it's just a matter for him to keep it up.  That's the proof he's the much improved player.

But it's only over time that you're going to see.  He's had a great run now.  I hope he knows what he needs to do the next few months, weeks, and years ahead.  Isn't always a two month tour.  You know, we play 10, 11 months of the year, it's bring it every single day.

He seemed like a very good player today to me, you know.  So you would definitely expect him to rise in the rankings, get better draws as we go forward, plays more consistent, gets more confident.  That's how you make your move, really.

Q.  He's raised eyebrows about what he thinks his potential is.  How important do you think it is for a tennis player to be humble at his stage?

ROGER FEDERER:  I didn't read much.  I didn't hear much, to be honest.  I think it's important to be confident, but obviously you respect the game and you respect, yeah, the other players.  I think he has a lot of respect for me.

But I'm only one guy out of hundreds out there, so it's important to respect all of us because we make each other better players, all of us.  So we should be thankful to that.

And I think in our sport, like maybe in golf and stuff, you usually do talk nicer about the opponents, about the other players, than maybe in other sports like boxing, for instance (smiling).  Okay, that's an extreme example.  I'm just saying we usually are pretty humble.  It's just the way we are.

Because at the end of the day we are very friendly with each other in the locker rooms, in the restaurants.  We go for dinner away from the courts, stay in touch.  It's a nice tour to be on.  I don't know what he said, but I'm saying when you're younger you don't quite see that.  You always see the opponent on the court.  Then you judge him just the way he acts on court.  That's the way I did it as well when I was younger.

I changed my attitude around, as well, over the years.

Q.  He says you always had encouraging words for him.  Why do you do that?

ROGER FEDERER:  Well, I mean, I didn't say that much.  But it's true.  Patrick Rafter asked me in Sydney, was it last year, I don't know anymore, two years ago, when I played him in Davis Cup, after the tie was over, it was obviously an incredible    the situation was unbelievable.  We had to come back the next day for six points with Lleyton and Stan.  Pat asked me if I couldn't give any advice to Bernard.

He asked Bernard to come.  I just spoke to Bernard to come for five or ten minutes.  I gave him what I thought he should improve on.  Things didn't go better for him after that.  But maybe deep down he does listen and does want to improve.

But, look, I'm not a coach.  I'm just a player out there who feels his weight of shot and potential.  It's nice he listens to me.  But it's important he listens to his team and does the best for himself and for his country.

Q.  Are you seeing some results from your little pep talk?

ROGER FEDERER:  No, that was some time ago.  That didn't help back then.

Q.  Are you seeing it now?

ROGER FEDERER:  I think he's improved as a whole.  Obviously one more year on tour is going to make you improve as a player, mentally, physically, all these things.

Yeah, it's going to be an interesting year again.  I like to watch the younger players how they create their team, how they handle wins, losses, the press.  There's a lot of pressure as well on the younger guys.  I enjoy seeing them face all that.

Q.  Raonic next.

ROGER FEDERER:  I've had some tough matches with him in the past.  All of them went the distance.  Some of them I should have lost, maybe one or two.

Indian Wells, I felt like I was more in control than the other two.  In Madrid I was in a lot of trouble.  Halle was extremely close.

We'll see this time around how it's going to be.  He's obviously got one of the best serves in the game.  Up and coming.  So you always feel, especially after an off season like the one we've just had, he's maybe improved again a few things or he's worked on a few things.

So you would expect maybe some more unexpected stuff that he didn't do last time around.  We'll see how it goes.  I'm excited about the match anyhow.

Q.  We've been asking some of the other players about their impression of Lance Armstrong.  Love to get your impressions as well.

ROGER FEDERER:  Love to get everybody's impressions.  What a sad story.

Look, I mean, I don't know what to say.  It just really saddens me to see that someone did this for such a long time.  Obviously he's hurt his sport in a big way, even though he helped it in the beginning.

But now the burden they live under, all other sports maybe as well.  I'm an active athlete right now, and it's not fun times really to be in sports to a degree.  I guess all I needed to see was the first few minutes of the interview and then I knew what was the deal, and the rest I don't really care.

It's just very saddening, really, this story, to be honest.

Q.  Have you ever met him?

ROGER FEDERER:  No.

Q.  Back to tennis.

ROGER FEDERER:  I'm happy to talk about tennis (smiling).

Q.  Can you perhaps talk a little bit about Luke and what he's been doing for you in practice?

ROGER FEDERER:  We had a good practice when I got to Australia, maybe the second or third practice in.  Yeah, it was good.  He's a nice guy.  I think he plays well.  We stayed in touch through the coaches.  He was happy to warm me up, hit with me on the off days.

When you find a guy you're comfortable with, he's a nice guy, it's nice to stay with the same guy, although I like hitting with juniors the second week, although we're not there yet.  He's a nice guy.  I think he's got some potential, as well.

I think like Bernard, the work ethic, the day in, day out grind, wanting to improve badly, that needs to come through big time for these guys now.  I hope they'll do that.

Access Player Links
Roger Federer Bio

Offline salish

• New Poster
Hi everyone!

I'm a long time lurker of this forum but only registered today.  I hope to come back everyday to chat with y'all!

In the meantime, I just started a blog about tennis and have been doing daily recaps of the Australian Open matches.  Please do come by and visit soon  :)

wp.me/p325ud-lT

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!
« Reply #11875 on: January 22, 2013, 09:13:26 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!
« Reply #11877 on: January 23, 2013, 02:44:50 PM »
Good article Sid. I would expect nothing less. Players have to feel like they are going to win the match.

Offline EnriqueIG8

• Tennis God
  • Tots Units Fem Força
for those who missed it today  :))
not the best quality but the best I could do

Australian Open 2013 QF Jo Wilfried Tsonga vs Roger Federer Highlights
Fill In The Draw @ T4U
Ranking: #1 (High: #1)
Titles: 7 [Australian Open, Auckland, Zagreb, San Jose, Marseille, Delray Beach & MS Monte Carlo]

Offline sid

• Tennis God
Good article Sid. I would expect nothing less. Players have to feel like they are going to win the match.

Hi Dallas,Rogers been great over the years & helped make tennis what it is now.Maybe things are to change nothing lasts forever.Here another article to read.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2268571/We-witnessing-dawn-new-era-Murray-rises-finally-beat-Federer-Grand-Slam-set-date-Djokovic.html