Author Topic: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!  (Read 812597 times)

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
*SPIT* I don't want to hear about Andy Murray in this thread.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline EnriqueIG8

• Tennis God
  • Tots Units Fem Força
Re: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!
« Reply #11881 on: February 03, 2013, 05:06:13 PM »
Here you go pals.
Just uploaded this for you. Enjoy :)

Roger Federer Australian Open 2013 Best Points (HD) Part 1

Roger Federer Australian Open 2013 Best Points (HD) Part 2
Fill In The Draw @ T4U
Ranking: #1 (High: #1)
Titles: 7 [Australian Open, Auckland, Zagreb, San Jose, Marseille, Delray Beach & MS Monte Carlo]

Offline sid

• Tennis God
Re: THE ROGER FEDERER THREAD: Quotes, Articles, Videos, Pictures and anything else!
« Reply #11882 on: February 04, 2013, 08:46:06 AM »
*SPIT* I don't want to hear about Andy Murray in this thread.

Spit thats a bad habit you've got there,who dragged you up.

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #11883 on: February 05, 2013, 01:11:08 AM »
Thanks for the highlights, Enrique! While watching live, Federer's brilliance gets lost in the context of the match.. This way we can relive the gift of Roger!! :)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #11884 on: February 11, 2013, 11:38:38 AM »

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:39:27 AM by Dallas »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #11885 on: February 11, 2013, 11:40:51 AM »
Roger's first match this week:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #11886 on: February 19, 2013, 04:53:08 PM »
Roger is in South Africa visiting the schools his foundation is helping:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #11888 on: February 25, 2013, 03:55:19 PM »
Highlights of Roger's first round match in Dubai
http://youtu.be/ThD0LoPfr9I

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #11889 on: February 25, 2013, 03:58:40 PM »
Roger after today's match:

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 03:59:31 PM by Dallas »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #11890 on: February 25, 2013, 04:00:12 PM »

Roger Federer cuts a cake on February 25, 2013 after the ATP Dubai Open tennis championship was chosen as the world's best ATP 500 level tournament by tennis professional players for the 9th time in ten years ♥
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 04:01:04 PM by Dallas »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #11891 on: February 25, 2013, 04:01:36 PM »
From ATP site

"It important to sort of react and make sure I didn't panic," said Federer. "But, of course your mind starts to wander, especially in a match where there is hardly any rallies. He's going for broke on every return. All you're trying to do is get into some rallies, and you're missing a lot yourself.

"It was a difficult match for me out here tonight, but I'm happy I found a way and got a day off now so I can work a little bit on the game. Just maybe the pressure is off a little bit, and then automatically I will play a lot better in the second round."

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/02/9/Dubai-Monday-Seppi-Federer.aspx

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #11892 on: February 26, 2013, 03:31:33 AM »
Second round should be relatively easy for him, at least on paper, hope he settles in there before it starte to get more difficult.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #11893 on: February 26, 2013, 11:01:48 PM »
Second round should be relatively easy for him, at least on paper, hope he settles in there before it starte to get more difficult.

I thought that about the first round.... :Confused:  So who knows what will happen.  I know his opponent is a great double's player but I hope Roger can get by easily tomorrow.  We will see.

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #11894 on: February 27, 2013, 01:55:30 AM »

I thought that about the first round.... :Confused:  So who knows what will happen.  I know his opponent is a great double's player but I hope Roger can get by easily tomorrow.  We will see.

Whenever Fed loses to a very low ranked player he has tended not to have difficulties beforehand. Losing a set in R1 should be a wake-up call, I hope, he tends to bounce back after those incidents. Can't remember him ever losing a set to a nobody and then losing a match to another nobody next round.

If he wins he most likely gets Davydenko. Should be a comfortable opponent for him, he's struggled a bit in the past but almost always come out ahead, and Davy is further from his top level than Fed is.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Well he lost against Berdych (after having match point!) :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1:  But...oh well...now on to Indian Wells.  Go Roger!!!!! :))

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
I'm concerned about Roger's match.  He's never played Dodig before...could be a little tough.  Go Roger!!!!!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
Roger's interview after his first match:

R. FEDERER/D. Istomin

6-2, 6-3

An interview with:

ROGER FEDERER

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Was that a rather straightforward day of work out there?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah. It felt good from the start and was able to maintain that level of play. I never thought he got into the match, you know, at all. That gives you obviously even more confidence.
And, yeah, then best of three sets, we know things are over quickly.

Q. Guy you played in the final last year, John Isner, will no longer be the American No. 1 after this. You played him really early at the US Open. What do you think about how his year has gone and just American are tennis in general?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, obviously he hasn't had a great start to the season, you know, being injured and so forth. He's more on a little comeback on that front, so he's not thinking right away of winning a tournament here.
He had a tough draw with Lleyton. That was always going to be tough, particularly where he's coming from. As we know, there are no easy draws here, and that makes his achievement last year even bigger, I think.
Yeah, I think at this point it's all I can say. American tennis has been amazing for so many years, and it will be in the future, as well.
So doesn't matter the rankings, always, but obviously with Andy Roddick retiring and John not being so well and Mardy having the issues, obviously rankings don't tell the truth at the moment.

Q. You know, mentioning Isner, he made a quick rise, sort of starting to stumble a little bit. Having been in the game a while and stayed on top, was it harder to make the climb or is it harder to stay on top?
ROGER FEDERER: For me it was    I think it was harder to get to world No. 1 for some reason in terms of mentally trying to get there. But then I did make it rather quickly.
Obviously when you win a Grand Slam and win a few tournaments you're in striking distance, and I had a couple of chances at the end of the season to make it, one of them I think being Montreal and Madrid maybe, as well. I had chances to really make a big step forward and crumbled under pressure.
I think that learned me to always have the right mindset, you know, change things around, become more professional.
Then the maintaining bit was actually pretty straightforward, you know. Obviously at the top you also profit from better draws, you know. Being in the top four seeds it's a help, you know, down the stretch at some point.
But you have to take advantage of it time and time again, and that's what I have been able to do. So for me the maintaining was the actually potentially easier part. But I'm not sure about that. I put in a lot of work all around.
Q. Are you interested to see how Rafa does tonight, or does it not matter? Will you watch or not watch? What will be a sign...
ROGER FEDERER: Probably will not watch because I will doing other things. I expect him to win. When I see the name of Nadal, I think of him as the great champion he is, and I expect him to win 99% of the matches he plays.
So whenever he loses early, before a semifinals, it's a huge shock, and I think that's how everybody sort of sees a match like this. We all know the danger of the first round and all those things.
Him not having played, for me, doesn't make any difference, really. I still expect him to be really difficult and tough to beat here.

Q. What will be a sign on a hard court that he's playing well? Anything in particular?
ROGER FEDERER: Progressing in the draw. (Laughter.)
Yeah, wins don't lie.

Q. Obviously the top four players have had this incredible dominance at slams for a good period now. But if you could take a moment and reflect on the other top players outside the four, like Berdych or Del Poe or Tsonga, Ferrer, maybe Raonic, who do you think are one or two with the best shot to break through and win a slam?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I would think the next sort of guys behind us, you know, obviously starting with Ferrer, who is in the top four.
And then as well Del Potro, Berdych, and Tsonga. To me, they seem to have the game to tear through a tournament, you know, every given week, you know. So for me, they seem the obvious candidates for that.
Then after that, between 9 and sort of 25 even I think it's pretty even, actually, you know.
I think the players ranked between 4 and 8 have an edge over the guys ranked behind them. That's why they are there in the rankings.
And, again, rankings don't lie in that case.

Q. In that 4 through 8 range, is there one you could give an edge to as having the best shot?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, obviously Juan Martin has done it before. That changes things around a bit.
Joe Willy has been in some finals.
I think Ferrer has put himself in some really good situations. I expect him to give himself chances again in the future.
Berdych we have only seen one Grand Slam finals of him, and he hasn't won as many tournaments as we believe he could win. So then I feel he has the game to all of a sudden break through. Pretty evenly spread out.
Depends which tournament and which particular surface we are talking about.
Q. Last fall when the ATP rejected the prize increase here, you said you were going to investigate. I was going to ask if you did and if the issue has been resolved to your satisfaction?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, it has been resolved. Important was communication. We know the reasons why it happened. It was that the tournaments can't just decide to have all the prize money for the winner and nothing for the first round loser, let's say, or vice versa.
It's about having the proportion of what normally happens on tour and not have Indian Wells be the exception. It's very hard to understand all of that. So I'm happy that's resolved.
The ATP I think worked really hard internally to make sure that we get through it. But we are very appreciative and thankful to the increase by this tournament, and I think important from now on is to look forward on how to build on a good relationship which we have with this tournament.
And if ever, you know, I can help in any way, I'm always open to listen and to help and speak. But there was no reason for me to get involved, actually. Brad Drewett and all those guys handled it together like men.

Q. When the weather starts changing and it's cooler, is it hard to stay loose or do you try to speed your game up a bit?
ROGER FEDERER: Yesterday was cold so the ball wasn't jumping as much and it wasn't traveling through the air as fast as it usually does here in the desert, and it was playing incredibly slow.
Today I thought it was rather slow, but that's what Indian Wells is. It's probably the slowest hard court almost on tour, but sometimes the ball travels faster in the air because of the heat and the desert sort of air.
And, yeah, you adjust. You know, you string your tensions maybe differently. You create the points differently. So you always got to be open to change and change it up a bit.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/News/Tennis/2013/Interview-Transcripts/Roger-Federer-Second-Round.aspx

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
R. FEDERER/I. Dodig
6-3, 6-1

An interview with:

ROGER FEDERER

THE MODERATOR:  Questions, please.

Q.  Is your back okay? It seemed like you were clutching it a little bit at the end?
 ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, at the end tweaked it a little bit. But it's not the first time it's happened in my career, so, I don't know, I know how to deal with it. I'm walking fine. I have a day off tomorrow. Everything is all right.

Q. It's nothing to keep you out of playing your next match?
ROGER FEDERER: I mean, you hope not. I'd be surprised if it did, yes.

Q. Question related to South Africa. You obviously have a deep connection, 10 years of incredible work there, 50,000 kids. My understanding was that you were seeking to connect somehow with president Mandela.  If you had gotten in touch with him, aside from listening, what would you like to ask him and take from him? What are your thoughts about his role?
 ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I think it's just more just paying respect and, you know, if he had the time and it was fine, you know, to meet me, just to spend time, you know.
 I have nothing particular, you know, I need to ask him because he needs to talk about what he would feel comfortable with. I don't like pushing people and getting stuff out from people that he hasn't said before. That's not the goal in meeting someone of the stature of President Mandela.

I mean, it didn't happen, so I was obviously, you know, a little bit disappointed, you know, naturally. But at the same time, I totally understand. I'm sure he's met so many people already, and, you know, he's also not getting younger.
 So it was something I thought of. If it worked out, great; if it didn't, I would understand.
 I still had a wonderful trip, you know, meeting friends and family down there. Obviously going to see one of the many projects I support in Africa, you know, and one of the projects I support in South Africa, so it was very nice.

Q. This morning there was an earthquake. Did you feel it? Where were you when it came through? And also, have you ever been through one before?
 ROGER FEDERER: Well, the one in New York I was in the car so I didn't feel it, and then here today was literally the first time I ever felt one. For the first few seconds I wasn't sure what was happening.
 I ran outside. I was at the house and I didn't know how long it was going to last, if it was going to get worse from there, or if the worst was already past.
 Thank God family wasn't in the house. They were outside somewhere. It was a very strange feeling to have, because you see the windows shaking and you look up and realize you're under a structure. It was quite scary for a second there.

Q. The weather is supposed to get quite warm over the next few days. How do you go from playing in sort of comfortable conditions? Do you change your approach to the match, or does it all just stay the same for you?
 ROGER FEDERER: Stays pretty much the same. I guess you make sure you hydrate even better, because already it's very dry here. It's not like you're sweating like crazy, you know, so that's not a big worry for me.
 The heat has never been a worry for me in the last sort of ten years of my playing career. I always think it's nice. Today was wonderful. I don't know how hot it's going to get really, but I doubt it's going to be 120, so it's all okay.

Q. Just going back to your back for a second, you took a longer time than normal to come your press conference. Did you have treatment? The back has in the past given you problems. Is it something you won't know until very close to the match?
 ROGER FEDERER: No, no. I mean, I finished the match, I did treatment, you know, just to make sure you do all the right things at the right time.
 That's what you should do anyway all the time: You should do treatment right after your matches and not go to press first. You get in the habit. You go to press first, get rid of that, even though it's not the right thing to do.
 So I'm not too worried. I have gone through it so many times where you feel a little tweak. You might play next day; now this time around I have a day off, extra time.
 Happened during Grand Slams, during tournaments, in practice. So, you know, it's just something, you know, you learn to deal with. And as long as I keep on playing, it's all right. After this I also know I have a longer break to recover, so from that standpoint I'm not worried at all.

Q. Is it the same kind of tweak you felt in the past?
 ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, pretty much.

Q. You have less tournaments in 2013. Are you considering playing tournaments you haven't played before or haven't won before?
 ROGER FEDERER: I was thinking about it, what else I would like to do, you know, what tournaments I have not yet played before, to which tournaments I would like to return again, you know, after maybe not playing for many years.
 So I'm not quite sure yet, because I have a pretty solid plan for this year what I want to do. What I'm doing this year was a lot of practice and then the tournaments I am going to play, that I'm signed up for. I have options then to choose what I want to do for next year.
 Naturally all the 250s always have a tougher date. They're either after slams, before slams, before or after Masters 1000s usually, which just makes it more tricky to play some.
 You have to prioritize what is important to you.

Q. Maybe Washington, D.C.?
 ROGER FEDERER: Never know. I have played there in the past. So that's what I said. All of a sudden, that then will be a priority. I don't know at this point.

Q. Back to your back, do you have to deal with your back or look after your back more than other parts of your body?
 ROGER FEDERER: Yeah. Well, ever since, what is it, four years ago? I don't know how long exactly when I didn't play against Blake, was it, in Paris?
 There things weren't good at all. That was as extreme, I think, as it gets. Ever since I have been doing a lot of back exercises, making sure I try everything I can to make sure it strengthened and less vulnerable to go bad, you know.
 I have even had a bad back, you know, sometimes when I was younger just because I wasn't strong enough yet. I think every player can talk about having had a bad back, you know. I think almost every person has, you know.
 So for me, it's been actually pretty good overall if I think about it, you know. And if it hurts me for an evening or one and a half days or something and I can still play with the pain, that's okay, you know.
 I hurt it in Wimbledon against Malisse and came out firing against Youzhny the next round. So for me, you know, I just got to deal with it, you know.

Q. Do you have to do anything extra, like hang upside down?
 ROGER FEDERER: No, not at all. I just literally do simple back exercises and sufficient treatment, and that's it.

Q. The long break you're taking, A, is that absolutely set in stone what you're going to do? And secondly, related to that, is that a kind of signal that the rankings are now sort of further down in your priority list?
 ROGER FEDERER: The first question was if...

Q. Is it set in stone?
ROGER FEDERER: No. I mean, no schedule is set in stone. That's the idea. Most likely I'll follow through with it, but then, you know, if you'd lost here first round or you win the tournament here, I don't know if that changes my mindset for anything else.
 I think it's always important to be mentally open, to reassess what you want to play if you have the urge to play, want to play. You know, maybe that's the feeling I will have when I'll be at home, but I doubt it, because I'm really eager to be practicing really hard, you know.
 That's something I have missed over the last sort of two years, I'd say, because I haven't been able to practice as much as I would have liked to. That's why it's a priority. That's why I wanted to do that.
 And then the second question was?

Q. Is it a signal maybe that the rankings are not as big a deal for you?
 ROGER FEDERER: Well, if you play well, you know, you can then manage your schedule. And as long as I play well, I know I'm always in a shot. It's not like I'm way down in the rankings where I'm so far away from world No. 1.
 But obviously if you play a little less you need to win the tournaments you were playing or you need to win the big ones, a couple of slams or, you know, many of the Masters 1000s, and all of this stuff.
 As of now, I guess I can't become it, you know, any time soon   next couple months   so you focus on what's ahead. That's what was my mindset as well this time around last year, even though I was in a position where maybe I possibly had a chance for world No. 1.
 This time around the priorities are on the big buildup and coming back strong for Madrid or Rome.

Q. What surface has been the most wearing on your body and your back specifically? Do you agree with those that say the tour should look at having fewer hard court tournaments?
 ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, the back I had in Wimbledon. That wasn't a hard court.
 I have had it in clay. So for me I don't think it matters a lot.
 Naturally, the hard court is the hardest surface out there. There is no doubt about that. It's obviously a long stretch from after Wimbledon all the way till now, I guess, we play on hard courts.
 So there you wonder maybe sometimes if that's the right thing to do. But the ones that want to go back on clay, they can after Wimbledon to extend that period.
 They can go on clay in February if they want to. You can do the buildup on clay at the end of the year, or at least a few weeks if you feel like that is better for your body.

So you have options, you know. But, yeah, I mean, every surface is different and tough, but hard court is probably, you know, the hardest of all.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports