Author Topic: NFL Thread  (Read 126777 times)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Re: NFL... anyone?
« Reply #220 on: December 18, 2007, 07:11:23 AM »
sorry ChrisTaylor, I like the baltimore colts not the indianapolis colts

so do you like the ravens now then? since the Colts have moved to Indy.

no, I was saying that the colts name shoud have never been move to Indy. Baltimore Colts were an historic franchise!

may have been but there are always going to be franchises moving around in the NFL. I like the name Indy more now anyway but thats all ive ever known and been used to.

take tennessee for example, they were the houston oilers, and changed their name to titans. (oilers were nothing compare to baltimore colts)

it is a shame for history and especially if its your favourite team that goes but i think the NFL and the way owners buy franchises will always be like thats. that is just one of the aspects of thev game of NFL.

yes, another aspect is that you don't have an nfl team in los angeles.

thats been something thats been spoken about for quite a long time. i really would have thought a city as big as LA would have an NFL team. seems a shame to me for one of the biggest cities not to have one. heard that the Buffalo Bills may move to Toronto when their owner retires for good. he said he has no interest of keeping the team in that city and Toronto are very eager for NFL and a franchise at that.

IMHO, the fist franchise that will move will go to to L.A. and in Canada they have CFL and Toronto Argonauts, founded  1873, they are one of the oldest  professional sports teams in North America. The Argonauts have won the Grey Cup championship a record fifteen times, most recently in 2004.

Canada will almost certianly have NFL very soon and hopefully LA does likewise within the next 10 years. thats all sorts of talk recently about franchises being set up in various places. I think its very exciting times for the NFL right now.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 07:13:15 AM by ChrisTaylor1987 »
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Ava Geil

• Tennis Player
« Reply #221 on: December 18, 2007, 10:22:13 AM »

Because of where I live I hear people still complain about the Colts leaving Baltimore, and just want to scream "get over it!!!"  LOL.  Some are even people my age who weren't alive when the move happened!

I'm not a huge follower of the NFL, but do enjoy watching teams like the Colts and Redskins.  I am a bigger fan of college football and basketball.
"Every individual has a place to fill in the world, and is important in some respect, whether he chooses to be so or not."
-Nathaniel Hawthorne

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #222 on: December 18, 2007, 10:37:47 AM »

Because of where I live I hear people still complain about the Colts leaving Baltimore, and just want to scream "get over it!!!"  LOL.  Some are even people my age who weren't alive when the move happened!

I'm not a huge follower of the NFL, but do enjoy watching teams like the Colts and Redskins.  I am a bigger fan of college football and basketball.

yeah it was that long ago now that some people werent even alive then and at least Baltimore has a team now with the Ravens and the Indianapolis Colts are a huge franchise now and at least Indy now has a team to be proud of. glad that a have a fellow supporter <kind of> of the Colts on here with you liking to watch them. id love to beat New England in the AFC match later in the playoffs. college football and basketball is really big over there in the States by all accounts. thats fantastic for the up and comers in the country thats for sure to get so much exposure and media.

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #223 on: December 18, 2007, 02:09:50 PM »

thats been something thats been spoken about for quite a long time. i really would have thought a city as big as LA would have an NFL team. seems a shame to me for one of the biggest cities not to have one. heard that the Buffalo Bills may move to Toronto when their owner retires for good. he said he has no interest of keeping the team in that city and Toronto are very eager for NFL and a franchise at that.

IMHO, the fist franchise that will move will go to to L.A. and in Canada they have CFL and Toronto Argonauts, founded  1873, they are one of the oldest  professional sports teams in North America. The Argonauts have won the Grey Cup championship a record fifteen times, most recently in 2004.

There's one very good reason there is no team in LA. Broadcast restrictions, and blackouts. In the NFL if the game is not sold out the game is not shown on TV.
Add that to the restrictions that cause the local fans to frequently miss the best game of the week, and the LA fans are happy they don't have to deal with it.
Many LA fans are perfectly happy without an NFL franchise.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #224 on: December 18, 2007, 02:23:16 PM »

There's one very good reason there is no team in LA. Broadcast restrictions, and blackouts. In the NFL if the game is not sold out the game is not shown on TV.
Add that to the restrictions that cause the local fans to frequently miss the best game of the week, and the LA fans are happy they don't have to deal with it.
Many LA fans are perfectly happy without an NFL franchise.

That's unfortunate to hear really and quite surprising because I'd have thought with LA having 2 basketball teams, an ice hockey team, a baseball team, an English football team (soccer as you guys say)  they'd really want an NFL team as well, but going by what you say they really don't see it like that and also the broadcasting would be an issue. Surprised that they are happy without a team in America's biggest sport.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #225 on: December 18, 2007, 03:06:09 PM »

That's unfortunate to hear really and quite surprising because I'd have thought with LA having 2 basketball teams, an ice hockey team, a baseball team, an English football team (soccer as you guys say)  they'd really want an NFL team as well, but going by what you say they really don't see it like that and also the broadcasting would be an issue. Surprised that they are happy without a team in America's biggest sport.

Having grown up in the Ventura County area, I can tell you that support for the football team was always something of a problem in LA. The Rams moved to St Louis for a reason. When Al Davis moved the Raiders to LA he thought he'd corner the market, but he could even come close to filling up the stadium (of course he chose the Coleseum which holds almost 100,000) he was constantly blocking off seats and trying to get a sell out. Never happened, and he moved the team back up to Oakland.
There are two things about the LA market that make it somewhat unique (which it also shares with Las Vegas and Phoenix). Most of the people who live in LA aren't from LA. They are from somewhere else and have allegences with other teams.
The second thing is the climate in LA is such that there is just too much to do on a nice winter Sunday. Here on the east coast winter time is a difficult nasty time of the year, and entertainment options dwindle considerably.In LA it's not uncommon for a winter day to be 80 degrees and sunny. On the east coast Football for many is the only entertainment available so the team is more important, and the fans more rabid. In LA, it's the beach, the parks, go skiing in Mammoth, or whatever. Going to a football game is low on that list and the stadium rarely sold out, so the team got blacked out a lot. Often the only way to watch the Rams or Raiders was to get out of the city where it wasn't blacked out. It may be the 2nd or 3rd largest market in the US, but it's not by any means the best football city in the US.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #226 on: December 18, 2007, 03:14:55 PM »

Having grown up in the Ventura County area, I can tell you that support for the football team was always something of a problem in LA. The Rams moved to St Louis for a reason. When Al Davis moved the Raiders to LA he thought he'd corner the market, but he could even come close to filling up the stadium (of course he chose the Coleseum which holds almost 100,000) he was constantly blocking off seats and trying to get a sell out. Never happened, and he moved the team back up to Oakland.
There are two things about the LA market that make it somewhat unique (which it also shares with Las Vegas and Phoenix). Most of the people who live in LA aren't from LA. They are from somewhere else and have allegences with other teams.
The second thing is the climate in LA is such that there is just too much to do on a nice winter Sunday. Here on the east coast winter time is a difficult nasty time of the year, and entertainment options dwindle considerably.In LA it's not uncommon for a winter day to be 80 degrees and sunny. On the east coast Football for many is the only entertainment available so the team is more important, and the fans more rabid. In LA, it's the beach, the parks, go skiing in Mammoth, or whatever. Going to a football game is low on that list and the stadium rarely sold out, so the team got blacked out a lot. Often the only way to watch the Rams or Raiders was to get out of the city where it wasn't blacked out. It may be the 2nd or 3rd largest market in the US, but it's not by any means the best football city in the US.

That's such an interesting read that Dmas for someone living in Europe, so thanks. You've really helped to sum up the problem NFL has had in LA in years gone by and the issues it would still very much have there now. Going by what you say Dmas I can see no real reason why or how NFL could be taken back to LA and  I think there are many more cities in USA, and even one of 2 in Canada and maybe Mexico which would take to NFL much more and make it a popular sport week in week out, rather than having serious issues with getting people through the gates.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #227 on: December 18, 2007, 03:30:27 PM »

That's such an interesting read that Dmas for someone living in Europe, so thanks. You've really helped to sum up the problem NFL has had in LA in years gone by and the issues it would still very much have there now. Going by what you say Dmas I can see no real reason why or how NFL could be taken back to LA and  I think there are many more cities in USA, and even one of 2 in Canada and maybe Mexico which would take to NFL much more and make it a popular sport week in week out, rather than having serious issues with getting people through the gates.

The NFL would kill to be back in LA. As you say, it's a huge market, and with all the celebrities, and glamour, why wouldn't they. Look what that does for the Lakers.
There are many in LA that really want to see a team come in and make a home there. It's tantalizing. But the overall feeling outside of those pockets of interest is.... eh????..... NFL here????...... :dunno:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #228 on: December 18, 2007, 03:40:42 PM »

The NFL would kill to be back in LA. As you say, it's a huge market, and with all the celebrities, and glamour, why wouldn't they. Look what that does for the Lakers.
There are many in LA that really want to see a team come in and make a home there. It's tantalizing. But the overall feeling outside of those pockets of interest is.... eh????..... NFL here????...... :dunno:

So unfortunate for a huge city like LA to not have a team and it seems like there's a bit of a split in what people would do/think if NFL went back to LA, the market is huge so I'd have thought it was an ideal place for the sport, and as you say just look what a worldwide name the Lakers have become. Seems though that if there's a lot of doubt over the stadium get anywhere close to pretty full then the NFL won't go to LA for some time yet. Empty seats at Stadiums will impress no one and with that thought I can see why no franchise would want to go to LA. I'm just trying to imagine one of our major cities like London, Manchester or Birmingham without a single team in our national sport and I just can't. However, the 2 markets and the 2 groups of people are very different in the 2 countries and more specifically the areas.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #229 on: December 18, 2007, 03:53:17 PM »
The Pro Bowl squads have just been announced, the starters and all the reserves are listed for both the AFC and NFC teams:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8053b226&template=without-video&confirm=true

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #230 on: December 18, 2007, 04:15:27 PM »

So unfortunate for a huge city like LA to not have a team and it seems like there's a bit of a split in what people would do/think if NFL went back to LA, the market is huge so I'd have thought it was an ideal place for the sport, and as you say just look what a worldwide name the Lakers have become. Seems though that if there's a lot of doubt over the stadium get anywhere close to pretty full then the NFL won't go to LA for some time yet. Empty seats at Stadiums will impress no one and with that thought I can see why no franchise would want to go to LA. I'm just trying to imagine one of our major cities like London, Manchester or Birmingham without a single team in our national sport and I just can't. However, the 2 markets and the 2 groups of people are very different in the 2 countries and more specifically the areas.

I imagine both Liverpool and Manchester would be described as more like a Chicago or Boston rather than LA. LA would be more like, oh... Portsmouth, only warmer and sunnier in the winter. Plus your football is played in the summer and fall rather than fall and winter right?
The Lakers play in the Staples Center which seats around 19,000. Compare that with the two possible venues for a football team. The Rose Bowl in Pasedena which seats 91,000 and the Coliseum which seats 92,000. Now look at Soldier Field where the Bears play, which seats 61,500, and the new Gillette stadium for the Pats which seats 68,700 (just to pick a couple NFL examples).
To my knowledge there are no other stadium options in the LA area. Which means any team that goes to LA will have to work around the two available stadiums which are really too big for an NFL franchise and/or build their own. I can guarantee they will get no support for a publicly financed stadium (ask Al Davis about THAT ball of fire), so they will have to build their own. If they do try and stick with what's available they will have to work around the current tenants schedule (USC at the Coliseum, and UCLA at the Rose Bowl) not the other way around. They will have to configure the stadium for an NFL size and block off about 30,000 seats which never looks good on TV. And they will be competing dollar for dollar with the current professional football franchise in LA, that being USC (did I say that???), and the LA Lakers. The NBA doesn't have the same blackout policies the NFL does. So if the Lakers don't sell out they are still seen on TV.
Unless you sell out your stadium your team will never be seen in your own market. It's a conundrum. Al Davis regularly had to buy up his own empty seats so the games could sell out so his teams games would be shown on TV.
For a team to make it in LA they would need two things, The population to suddenly go blind and vote yes on a stadium proposition, and you would need a readymade championship calibre team (like the Colts or the Pats) that can excite the city, and bring out the stars, which will bring out the masses.
The alternative is to basically bleed money until you can build a winner.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #231 on: December 19, 2007, 05:06:00 AM »

I imagine both Liverpool and Manchester would be described as more like a Chicago or Boston rather than LA. LA would be more like, oh... Portsmouth, only warmer and sunnier in the winter. Plus your football is played in the summer and fall rather than fall and winter right?
The Lakers play in the Staples Center which seats around 19,000. Compare that with the two possible venues for a football team. The Rose Bowl in Pasedena which seats 91,000 and the Coliseum which seats 92,000. Now look at Soldier Field where the Bears play, which seats 61,500, and the new Gillette stadium for the Pats which seats 68,700 (just to pick a couple NFL examples).
To my knowledge there are no other stadium options in the LA area. Which means any team that goes to LA will have to work around the two available stadiums which are really too big for an NFL franchise and/or build their own. I can guarantee they will get no support for a publicly financed stadium (ask Al Davis about THAT ball of fire), so they will have to build their own. If they do try and stick with what's available they will have to work around the current tenants schedule (USC at the Coliseum, and UCLA at the Rose Bowl) not the other way around. They will have to configure the stadium for an NFL size and block off about 30,000 seats which never looks good on TV. And they will be competing dollar for dollar with the current professional football franchise in LA, that being USC (did I say that???), and the LA Lakers. The NBA doesn't have the same blackout policies the NFL does. So if the Lakers don't sell out they are still seen on TV.
Unless you sell out your stadium your team will never be seen in your own market. It's a conundrum. Al Davis regularly had to buy up his own empty seats so the games could sell out so his teams games would be shown on TV.
For a team to make it in LA they would need two things, The population to suddenly go blind and vote yes on a stadium proposition, and you would need a readymade championship calibre team (like the Colts or the Pats) that can excite the city, and bring out the stars, which will bring out the masses.
The alternative is to basically bleed money until you can build a winner.

Yeah I can see where you are coming from with LA being described more as a Portsmouth type place, being on the coast and having better weather rather than the cities of Manchester and Liverpool. Portsmouth do however have a football team thats very well supporter and play in the Premiership but lets just say that their Stadium isn't quite 90,000, its some way below that in that it holds only around 20,000 so they for sure wouldn't have an issue like you'd have in LA. I've noticed that the majority of NFL stadiums are around 60,000-70,000 and that college teams usually have bigger stadiums and I've also wondered why that is but now you say that if an NFL Stadium isn't basically sold out I can see exactly why they would build stadiums in that type of range. The 2 stadiums in LA would be the biggest in the NFL and a new team in the area just isn't going to sell the biggest stadium out in the league, especially with the teams in the LA area it needs to compete with. Also a new franchise moving there would instantly be put off at the thought of having to build a brand new stadium for themselves because thats going to cost them millions and millions before the start and I wouldn't imagine that the people of LA would be willing to help finance the money for the new stadium. Whereas in Tampa I know the owner Malcolm Glazier told the government and people there he'd move the Buccaneers from the region if they didn't finance a brand new Stadium, and look what he got a brand new Stadium Raymong James as it is called, so that shows the public wanted NFL in Tampa but in LA it would be a very different story if some businessman asked that from the LA government and people. That seats blackout the NFL has, but not the NBA is very interesting and explains exactly why LA may never have an NFL franchise, also as you rightly say Dmas the team would instantly have to be successful like the Colts, Patriots etc and contain some real stars for it to go down well in LA and get the people in the stadium, and with a brand new franchise that's not very likely. To me then LA appears to be a no go for the foreseable future, so I'll stick with saying Toronto will be the next city to  get an NFL franchise and that it may just be the Bills.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #232 on: December 19, 2007, 08:21:35 AM »
The NFL wants a team in LA badly so they'll keep trying, either a new team or an existing team.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #233 on: December 19, 2007, 08:25:09 AM »
The NFL wants a team in LA badly so they'll keep trying, either a new team or an existing team.

Well I did believe that was the case but going through all that we've spoken about it would be really hard to get it set up there, and even harder to run it successfully with a lot of people support and backing for it.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #234 on: December 19, 2007, 08:34:45 AM »

Well I did believe that was the case but going through all that we've spoken about it would be really hard to get it set up there, and even harder to run it successfully with a lot of people support and backing for it.

Exactly. Which is why, as much as the NFL wants a team in LA, and has wanted to have one since the Rams & Raiders leaving, it hasn't happened.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #235 on: December 19, 2007, 08:40:05 AM »

Exactly. Which is why, as much as the NFL wants a team in LA, and has wanted to have one since the Rams & Raiders leaving, it hasn't happened.

The NFL might just be hoping for something then that isn't going to become a successful reality because it must tell them an awful lot by the fact that the Rams and the Raiders have left LA. The people of LA don't seem to have the support and desire needed for an NFL Franchise to be set up there so it looks to me as if it'll be a long time until the NFL goes back to LA.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #236 on: December 19, 2007, 09:19:42 AM »

The NFL might just be hoping for something then that isn't going to become a successful reality because it must tell them an awful lot by the fact that the Rams and the Raiders have left LA. The people of LA don't seem to have the support and desire needed for an NFL Franchise to be set up there so it looks to me as if it'll be a long time until the NFL goes back to LA.

One thing big business seems to overlook is that most of the most successful ideas grow slowly. They arrive, pick up a pocket of support and then slowly gain small pockets of support until they are no longer small, but big. The next thing you know they are ubiquitous.
But big business doesn't have the patience to allow something to grow. They need instant success, instant profitability. A team in LA would only work if they were willing to lose money for about a decade while the team is broken in, builds it's image and players, and then starts to gain a distinct LA identity. It would have to be done right, and it would have to be done right the first time, but it could be done. The NFL is a multi billion dollar business. In the minds of the suits they can't be seen as losing money in a market. It's bad for their image.
Look at the San Jose Sharks. A hockey team in Northern California? When they arrived they used the shark image brilliantly. They played in the Shark Tank. They had neat logos and teal unis which flew off the shelves. They lost consistanly, but they were always in the top 5 in products sold. The only problem was they didn't gain momentum by being a contender quickly, but they are getting that now.
Good PR and good decision making can make it work, but someone will have to go in it for the long haul, and understand that they will lose money for a few years, but reap the rewards down the road.
Big business just doesn't have the abilty to do that anymore.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #237 on: December 19, 2007, 09:36:51 AM »

One thing big business seems to overlook is that most of the most successful ideas grow slowly. They arrive, pick up a pocket of support and then slowly gain small pockets of support until they are no longer small, but big. The next thing you know they are ubiquitous.
But big business doesn't have the patience to allow something to grow. They need instant success, instant profitability. A team in LA would only work if they were willing to lose money for about a decade while the team is broken in, builds it's image and players, and then starts to gain a distinct LA identity. It would have to be done right, and it would have to be done right the first time, but it could be done. The NFL is a multi billion dollar business. In the minds of the suits they can't be seen as losing money in a market. It's bad for their image.
Look at the San Jose Sharks. A hockey team in Northern California? When they arrived they used the shark image brilliantly. They played in the Shark Tank. They had neat logos and teal unis which flew off the shelves. They lost consistanly, but they were always in the top 5 in products sold. The only problem was they didn't gain momentum by being a contender quickly, but they are getting that now.
Good PR and good decision making can make it work, but someone will have to go in it for the long haul, and understand that they will lose money for a few years, but reap the rewards down the road.
Big business just doesn't have the abilty to do that anymore.

Exactly right Dmas, what you've said there is o right and i just couldn't agree more. A business set up or businessmen have got to realise that to make it work in LA it would take a lot of patience and its not something that can be achieved overnight. They must realise they've got to build it up gradually and gain the public support within LA slowly and then take it from there. Money poured into the franchise and team would certainly mean a loss to them to start with but as you rightly say maybe a decade or so down the line that would have changed, LA would have a great, well known franchise, some star players and thats when the team as a business and owners start seeing their rewards in terms of money and public support. Knowing now about the block out of seats and games not being broadcast with lots of empty seats a new Stadium would have to be constructed as the 90000 Stadiums LA has would not be suitable you'd fell, especially when the biggest NFL stadium is in Washington and that has 80000 seats, so that would be a hugely expensive thing to begin with for the business or the city. It is for sure going to be very hard for LA to have a successful franchise because they not only need a willing organisation or hugely wealthy businessman who has a lot of patience and is prepared to lose a lot of money to start with, but also the LA people need to gradually take to the new team and get out and show their support each game, and that would need to be a gradual thing that needs to be given time.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #238 on: December 23, 2007, 01:23:37 PM »
Colts are up 24-7 at home to Houston with 2 minutes of the 1st half remaining  :)
Bears 13-7 Packers
Browns 0-13 Bengals (could be huge for the playoffs)
Raiders 3-28 Jaguars
Giants 17-14 Bills
Chiefs 14-19 Lions
Eagles 24-14 Saints

All halftime or 3 minutes or less away

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #239 on: December 23, 2007, 01:41:24 PM »
Colts are up 24-7 at home to Houston with 2 minutes of the 1st half remaining  :)
Bears 13-7 Packers
Browns 0-13 Bengals (could be huge for the playoffs)
Raiders 3-28 Jaguars
Giants 17-14 Bills
Chiefs 14-19 Lions
Eagles 24-14 Saints

All halftime or 3 minutes or less away

HALFTIME:
Colts 24 - 7 Texans !!  :)
Bears 13-7 Packers !!
Browns 0-19 Bengals !! 
Raiders 3-28 Jaguars !!
Giants 17-14 Bills !!
Chiefs 14-19 Lions !!
Eagles 24-17 Saints !!
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.