Author Topic: NFL Thread  (Read 124365 times)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Re: NFL... anyone?
« Reply #280 on: December 28, 2007, 11:44:56 PM »
Even if they do win tomorrow night, if they fail to win the Super Bowl the season will have been a failure.
At least that's what they are selling around here.

In a way - I agree!  That fantastic year the Mavs had last year was all for naught because they lost in the playoffs.  So anything less than a Super Bowl for New England would look upon as a failure... which I hope happens at the hands of the Cowboys! :rofl_2:

:Bleh:  :Confused: :confused1:

:dunno:

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #281 on: December 29, 2007, 01:06:19 AM »
Even if they do win tomorrow night, if they fail to win the Super Bowl the season will have been a failure.
At least that's what they are selling around here.

In a way - I agree!  That fantastic year the Mavs had last year was all for naught because they lost in the playoffs.  So anything less than a Super Bowl for New England would look upon as a failure... which I hope happens at the hands of the Cowboys! :rofl_2:

:Bleh:  :Confused: :confused1:

:dunno:

Hopefully you won't get the chance Dallas as the Colts will have beaten them in the AFC Championship showdown  :)) With the majority of our starters back we're going through the Divisional match and then we're going to Gillette Stadium to show their 16-0(probable) counts for nothing!

On another doubt there's a little doubt about Brady's fitness for tonights match with a slight shoulder injury, that would be pretty handy as Peyton manning would then keep his 49 touchdowns in a season record. Brady is on 48 with one game to get to the mark.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #282 on: December 29, 2007, 04:00:10 PM »
NE is favored over the Giants by 13.5. This one is in the bag.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #283 on: December 29, 2007, 04:10:26 PM »

I'm really interested to see how many starters the Giants may leave out. I'd love to see them go with a full team and do the impossible and turn NE over. The thing I'm hoping for most tonight though is that Tom Brady throws no touchdown passes, or if he has to he gets one at the absolute most, so that Peyton can keep his record of 49 TD in the season, Brady currently has 48. They should leave Brady on the sidelines for this one, should Peyton can keep his record.
Peyton Manning could also once again make more NFL history tomorrow as if he throws for 53 yards he'll become the first ever Quarterback in NFL history to go over 4000 yards in 8 different seasons, just a trully awesome feat.

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #284 on: December 29, 2007, 05:38:12 PM »

I'm really interested to see how many starters the Giants may leave out. I'd love to see them go with a full team and do the impossible and turn NE over. The thing I'm hoping for most tonight though is that Tom Brady throws no touchdown passes, or if he has to he gets one at the absolute most, so that Peyton can keep his record of 49 TD in the season, Brady currently has 48. They should leave Brady on the sidelines for this one, should Peyton can keep his record.
Peyton Manning could also once again make more NFL history tomorrow as if he throws for 53 yards he'll become the first ever Quarterback in NFL history to go over 4000 yards in 8 different seasons, just a trully awesome feat.

I think Brady will play and Moss needs just 2 receptions to break the reception mark.
The team needs less than 10 points to break the season total scoring mark so there's a lot of interest in the game besides the perfect regular season.
Manning is playing good as usual but Brady has more support.

The records are a personal thing but can't be done alone. That's why I don't care that much if Brady breaks the touchdown record.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #285 on: December 29, 2007, 06:21:53 PM »

I think Brady will play and Moss needs just 2 receptions to break the reception mark.
The team needs less than 10 points to break the season total scoring mark so there's a lot of interest in the game besides the perfect regular season.

The records are a personal thing but can't be done alone. That's why I don't care that much if Brady breaks the touchdown record.

I think the team needs to score 5 or 7 more points to break the scoring record.
Brady needs 2 touchdown passes to pass Manning, and Moss needs 2 touchdown receptions to pass Jerry Rice for that record.
But overall, obviously, the Pats need a win to be undefeated for the season. Something that hasn't happened since the Miami Dolphins in 1972.
To me the Pats have more to play for than the Giants. They obviously want to match the Dolphins perfect season. They want to break the records I've mentioned. But also the Pats have a bye week next week and the Giants don't. The Pats don't want to go 3 weeks without the starters having played significant minutes. On the other hand the Giants have nothing to play for but pride, and they have to play next week. They will be more inclined to want to rest their players than the Pats.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #286 on: December 30, 2007, 12:36:26 AM »

Brady needs 2 touchdown passes to pass Manning, and Moss needs 2 touchdown receptions to pass Jerry Rice for that record.
But overall, obviously, the Pats need a win to be undefeated for the season. Something that hasn't happened since the Miami Dolphins in 1972.
To me the Pats have more to play for than the Giants. They obviously want to match the Dolphins perfect season. They want to break the records I've mentioned. But also the Pats have a bye week next week and the Giants don't. The Pats don't want to go 3 weeks without the starters having played significant minutes. On the other hand the Giants have nothing to play for but pride, and they have to play next week. They will be more inclined to want to rest their players than the Pats.

Well the Giants really took it to the Patriots but eventually were defeated 38-35, after being up by 12 halfway through the 3rd quarter. Brady and Moss both got the 2TD's they needed to break their respective touchdown records and the Patriots completed their perfect 16-0 season. Now they've got to really get down to business if the playoffs because if they don't win the Superbowl 16-0 will mean very little. The way the Giants took it to the Patriots has been me even more belief that someone could do them in the playoffs, however I do feel that somebody would have to be the Colts. If any team is going to beat them its going to have to be a near full strength Colts team, and that's without being biased.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #287 on: December 30, 2007, 09:52:35 AM »

Well the Giants really took it to the Patriots but eventually were defeated 38-35, after being up by 12 halfway through the 3rd quarter. Brady and Moss both got the 2TD's they needed to break their respective touchdown records and the Patriots completed their perfect 16-0 season. Now they've got to really get down to business if the playoffs because if they don't win the Superbowl 16-0 will mean very little. The way the Giants took it to the Patriots has been me even more belief that someone could do them in the playoffs, however I do feel that somebody would have to be the Colts. If any team is going to beat them its going to have to be a near full strength Colts team, and that's without being biased.

It was a pretty good game. They are a great team but can be beaten. Indy is the obvious choice.
It was a tough game for NE and proved a lot as they came back in dramatic fashion.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #288 on: December 30, 2007, 01:51:35 PM »
Early games
All halftime or just into the 3rd Quarter.

49ers 7 vs 17 Browns
Lions 10 vs 24 Packers
Saints 17 vs 24 Bears
Jaguars 14 vs 28 Texans
Panthers 17 vs 13 Buccaneers
Bills 3 vs 10 Eagles
Bengals 28 vs 10 Dolphins
Seahawks 17 vs 17 Falcons

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #289 on: December 30, 2007, 03:21:23 PM »
Early Game Results

49ers 7 vs 20 Browns (Browns won the game which meant very little to them as their playoff hopes hang with the Colts defeating the Titans, whatever happened in this game)

Lions 13 vs 34 Packers (Comfortable win for the Packers and they go into the playoffs off the back of a win)

Saints 25 vs 33 Bears (Saints faint playoff hopes are over, whereas Bears round off season with 2 impressive wins)

Jaguars 28 vs 42 Texans (Jaguars rested a few starters for next week, Texans move to 8-8, making all 4 teams in the AFC South to be .500 or better)

Panthers 31 vs 23 Buccaneers (Panthers finish the season at 7-9 whereas Buccaneers were looking ahead to next weeks Wildcard playoff match)

Bills 9 vs 17 Eagles (Eagles get back to 8-8 for season whereas Bills fall and finish with 7-9)

Bengals 38 vs 25 Dolphins (Dolphins finish the season at 1-15, whereas the Bengals finish 7-9)

Seahawks 41 vs 44 Falcons (High scoring and entertaining match with Seahawks looking to next weekend and Falcons looking to take a last weekend win from the season)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 03:22:21 PM by ChrisTaylor1987 »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #290 on: December 30, 2007, 03:25:33 PM »
The final NFC playoff place is between Washington and Minnesota, with a Washington win over Dallas giving them the last place, but a slip up for them and Minnesota need to win in Denver to clinch the final place. A defeat for both teams gives Washington the final place.

The final AFC playoff place is all down to the Colts vs Titans game and its a simple equation, a Titans win in Indianapolis and they make it, a defeat for them and the Cleveland Browns take the last place instead.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #291 on: December 30, 2007, 07:25:17 PM »
NFL playoff schedule

Updated: December 30, 2007, 8:12 PM ET

AFC
WILD CARD WEEKEND

Saturday, Jan. 5

5. Jacksonville Jaguars (11-5) at 4. Pittsburgh Steelers (10-6), 8 p.m. ET (NBC)

Sunday, Jan. 6

6. Tennessee Titans (9-6) or Cleveland Browns (10-6) at 3. San Diego Chargers (11-5), 4:30 p.m. ET (CBS)

1. New England Patriots (16-0) and 2. Indianapolis Colts (13-2) have first-round byes.

DIVISIONAL ROUND

Jan. 12-13

San Diego, Pittsburgh or Jacksonville at Indianapolis

Pittsburgh, Jacksonville or Tennessee/Cleveland at New England

NFC
WILD CARD WEEKEND

Saturday, Jan. 5

6. Washington Redskins (9-7) at 3. Seattle Seahawks (10-6), 4:30 p.m. ET (NBC)

Sunday, Jan. 6

5. New York Giants (10-6) at 4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (9-7), 1 p.m. ET (Fox)

1. Dallas Cowboys (13-3) and 2. Green Bay Packers (13-3) have first-round byes.

DIVISIONAL ROUND

Jan. 12-13

Tampa Bay or New York or Washington at Dallas

Seattle, Tampa Bay or New York at Green Bay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AFC, NFC championships: Sunday, Jan. 20

Super Bowl XLII: Sunday, Feb. 3, 6 p.m., University of Phoenix Stadium (Glendale, Ariz.)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #292 on: December 31, 2007, 12:39:09 AM »
Tennessee Titans took the final playoff place after beating the Indianapolis Colts 16-10 at the RCA Dome. The Titans were certainly helped by Indy rested a lot of their main starters and Peyton Manning was withdrawn from the game just halfway through the 2nd quarter, although he had gone over 4000 yards for the 8th season, the first time its ever been done in the NFL. The Titans now go to the San Diego Charges next weekend for the Wildcard playoff match.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #293 on: December 31, 2007, 07:48:14 AM »
Thanks for the update Swish...........I hope I am free to watch these games. 

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #294 on: December 31, 2007, 03:03:55 PM »
Guess you're not too happy with the Colts Buckeye after last nights heartbreak for the Browns  :whistle:

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #295 on: December 31, 2007, 03:10:49 PM »
Guess you're not too happy with the Colts Buckeye after last nights heartbreak for the Browns  :whistle:

I just think it stinks the way the schedule works.  If you look at schedules, then Tennessee is going to lose to Indy at Indy any other game unless it is at the end of the season when Indy doesn't need the game at all.  The Browns should have gotten themselves another win anyway! 

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #296 on: December 31, 2007, 03:37:50 PM »

I just think it stinks the way the schedule works.  If you look at schedules, then Tennessee is going to lose to Indy at Indy any other game unless it is at the end of the season when Indy doesn't need the game at all.  The Browns should have gotten themselves another win anyway! 

Yeah fell really unfortunate for the Browns and very fortunate for the Titans because at any other time in the season then it would have been a Colts win, with all the main starters in there and firing. Made the AFC look very strong though with 3 teams from it making the playoffs. Shame for the Browns but they had their chance at Cincy last week and unfortunately for them blew their chance.

Just can't wait for the playoffs to begin, some fantastic match ups and should be some real excitement over the next few weeks, especially if the Colts get the chance to go to New England and turn them over, now that would be one of the great moments  :)

Offline Jamesdster

• Tennis God
« Reply #297 on: December 31, 2007, 08:51:38 PM »

Yeah fell really unfortunate for the Browns and very fortunate for the Titans because at any other time in the season then it would have been a Colts win, with all the main starters in there and firing. Made the AFC look very strong though with 3 teams from it making the playoffs. Shame for the Browns but they had their chance at Cincy last week and unfortunately for them blew their chance.

Just can't wait for the playoffs to begin, some fantastic match ups and should be some real excitement over the next few weeks, especially if the Colts get the chance to go to New England and turn them over, now that would be one of the great moments  :)

CT - As a diehard Browns fan it stinks to be the only 10-6 team not IN the playoffs.  But you hit the nail on the head.  We blew it in Cincy!  We have no one to blame but ourselves.  But the future is finally looking brighter as no one picked this team to win 10 games...yes I know it came against a weak schedule, but I have to have something to hang my hat on.
I was at this casino minding my own business, and this guy came up to me and said, "You're gonna have to move, you're blocking a fire exit." As though if there was a fire, I wasn't gonna run. If you're flammible and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.  - Mitch Hedberg

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #298 on: January 01, 2008, 02:11:11 AM »

CT - As a diehard Browns fan it stinks to be the only 10-6 team not IN the playoffs.  But you hit the nail on the head.  We blew it in Cincy!  We have no one to blame but ourselves.  But the future is finally looking brighter as no one picked this team to win 10 games...yes I know it came against a weak schedule, but I have to have something to hang my hat on.

Too right Jamesdster, it really is very unfortunate and unlucky to go 10-6 and not make it into the playoffs, that just shows how strong this AFC is right now. But the Browns may have missed out but they've got a hell of a lot to be proud of this season because they were not really considered a playoff team at the beginning of the season and no one expected a 10-6 season. Now they've got to keep a large amount of this squad together, have a good draft and one or 2 trades to strengthen the Browns and ensure that they can get to at least 10-6 next year and use 07 as a springboard. You were just 1 win against Cincy from 11-5 and a playoff spot, thats how close you came this year. I think you've got a lot to look forward to Jamesdster concerning the Browns  :)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #299 on: January 01, 2008, 03:23:33 AM »
This certainly isn't a surprise and something that was spoken about happening with the Ravens and Billick. To fall from 13-3 one season to only winning 5 the next year was certainly asking for trouble and I think this is the right move for the Ravens, as long as they get a good head coach in place.

Billick fired by Ravens
Super Bowl-winning coach departs after poor 2007

The Baltimore Ravens have sacked head coach Brian Billick after a disappointing NFL campaign.

Billick, 53, led the Ravens to success in the Super Bowl following the 2000 season but won only one play-off game over the course of the next seven years.

Owner Steve Bisciotti said the decision was made in the 'Ravens' best interest'.

"He (Billick) was very gracious to me when we met today," Bisciotti told a news conference. "He understood, at least gave me the confidence that I was true to go with my gut.

Better chance

"I believed it was time for a change. I believe that we have the nucleus of a team that can get back to the Super Bowl and we felt that in the next five years we'd have a better chance with a new coach."

With an 85-67 record over nine seasons, Billick was Baltmore's most successful coach.

"It has been a great ride with the Ravens and the fans here," Billick said in a statement.

"The passion, the dedication and the willingness to work by the players is so appreciated. Even in this difficult season, they fought through it.

"My respect for the players, every single one who has played for the Ravens in the last nine years, is hard to articulate. They have my complete respect and admiration."