Author Topic: NFL Thread  (Read 126425 times)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
Re: NFL... anyone?
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2007, 07:02:02 AM »
Cincinnati got a big comeback win against NYJets!   :cool:    Any Cincy fans up in this piece? 

They won't tell you, cincy is 2-4!!   :(

The Bengals!  You mean they have fans!? ..-) :))

Yeah, it is a novel idea!    Not all people root only for winning teams or players!?   ..-) :)~

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2007, 08:30:48 PM »
Mark your calenders, a mutha of a game is coming up Nov. 4

New England vs Indianapolis  at  ET 4:15 shown on CBS.

What to expect?? probably the best game so far this season.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2007, 08:56:20 PM »

They said the same about the Dallas NE game. It'll be a fun game to watch. I don't know how either will stop the other. Both coaches were defensive coordinators with high flying offenses. I was very impressed with Indy's ability to shut down the Jag's running attack, though the quarterback apparently went out early. That meant they could load up on the line of scrimmage and not worry too much about the pass.
The thing that worries me a bit is that NE has not really done much to establish a running game. I've seen them do this before, pass the ball all over the place and abandon the run and it bit them in the butt late in the season.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2007, 09:14:08 PM »

They said the same about the Dallas NE game. It'll be a fun game to watch. I don't know how either will stop the other. Both coaches were defensive coordinators with high flying offenses. I was very impressed with Indy's ability to shut down the Jag's running attack, though the quarterback apparently went out early. That meant they could load up on the line of scrimmage and not worry too much about the pass.
The thing that worries me a bit is that NE has not really done much to establish a running game. I've seen them do this before, pass the ball all over the place and abandon the run and it bit them in the butt late in the season.

That's the interest, not knowing how each team can counter each other. I think NE has the advantage but the game is at indy, usually worth 2.5 or 3 points in the spread. NE has Randy Moss this year and he really fell into the offense well.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2007, 09:18:47 PM »

That's the interest, not knowing how each team can counter each other. I think NE has the advantage but the game is at indy, usually worth 2.5 or 3 points in the spread. NE has Randy Moss this year and he really fell into the offense well.

He can fall into any offense with his talent. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
I think at this point Indy has the advantage because they feature a better running game and more balance offense. Teams have scored on the Pats, but that usually them trading yards and points for time.
They said prior to the Jax game NE you could have gotten 4 points and a NE win. But I don't know what the line is now.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2007, 09:31:14 PM »

He can fall into any offense with his talent. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
I think at this point Indy has the advantage because they feature a better running game and more balance offense. Teams have scored on the Pats, but that usually them trading yards and points for time.
They said prior to the Jax game NE you could have gotten 4 points and a NE win. But I don't know what the line is now.

There won't be a line till the week before the game, that is an ordinary line, you can go to vegas and get a line on the color of Brady's sox in the 2nd quarter.

As of now
                 W    L  T  PCT      PF      PA       STRK    DIV    CONF
New England 7    0  0  1.000    279    120     Won 7   3-0      6-0
Indianapolis  6    0  0  1.000    193     95      Won 6   3-0      4-0

point differential     per game
New England                 159                    22.7
Indianapolis                    98                    16.3

These numbers may not mean much as it depends who they played, etc.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2007, 09:42:10 PM »
There won't be a line till the week before the game, that is an ordinary line, you can go to vegas and get a line on the color of Brady's sox in the 2nd quarter.

As of now
                 W    L  T  PCT      PF      PA       STRK    DIV    CONF
New England 7    0  0  1.000    279    120     Won 7   3-0      6-0
Indianapolis  6    0  0  1.000    193     95      Won 6   3-0      4-0

point differential     per game
New England                 159                    22.7
Indianapolis                    98                    16.3

These numbers may not mean much as it depends who they played, etc.

It almost seems as if the two teams have switched identities that last couple of years. NE with the high powered offense and slightly leaky defense, and Indy with the efficient offense and stingier defense.
As for Brady's sox, since no one seems to be able to get to him before he gets rid of the ball, I'd say white (assuming that's what he starts with).

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2007, 10:11:33 AM »
I think NE will win fairly easily unless Indy can create at lest 2 or 3 turnovers from NE.    NE are like my Buckeyes right now....................the only way they are gonna lose is if they have 3 or more turnovers!   ;-()

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2007, 10:17:04 AM »
It was really funny after MNF when Steve Young was down playing the upcoming NE-Indy game by saying the game won't matter at all!  :-o             Emmit and Stuart Scott looked shocked as if to say "hey Steve, we are the media and we are supposed to hype everything up rather than down play any games"!   It was hilarious the back-and-forth that followed!   :rofl_2:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2007, 12:13:28 PM »
Lovely jubbly
By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports
October 26, 2007

Folks, brace yourselves: IFL Commissioner Roger Goodell approaches the podium... "In the 1st Round of the 2015 IFL draft, the London Fog select kickserve, out of the University of Mutton Pie, London, England."

LONDON – The end of the world as we know it officially arrived at the Landmark Hotel near Regent Park, as a large gathering of very powerful business leaders in dark suits coalesced to talk about the globalization of sports in the 21st century.

Kicking off a conference sponsored by The Economist, sleep-deprived NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell...stepped to the podium in an ornate ballroom and told the assembled movers and shakers, "The focus of our international strategy now is to present the NFL to the widest possible audience."

<snip>

Translated into the King's English, what Goodell's words mean to the American sports fan is this: Sunday's game at Wembley Stadium between the New York Giants and Miami Dolphins is only the beginning...

<snip>

That also means – brace yourselves – that Goodell wasn't just blowing London fog when he said earlier this month that he was intrigued by the idea of staging a Super Bowl across the pond.

<snip>

Before I give you my reasons for supporting Super Bowl UK, rest assured that Goodell, Waller and I aren't the only ones thinking this way. "I'm in favor," said New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft, who attended the conference along with many of his peers. "It's the next frontier."

Miami Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga agreed, saying, "If the league decides to come here, I think it would be well-received. It's part of the whole globalization thing we're talking about here today. I don't know how the other owners feel about it, but I think it's a good idea."

If you don't plan on travelling to the game, then no big woop! It might be kind of cool (though I think it's a ridiculous idea to schedule a regular season game overseas unless both teams have a bye the following week). But for those fans travelling... well, it's not going to be the same fan base, as the British pound has been twice as strong as the USD for several years now.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 12:14:52 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2007, 03:00:16 PM »
The players are on the opposite side of the fence on this. Think about playing 2 hours of tennis then getting on a plane and flying for 6 hours as the muscles tighten and bones compain. Now multiply that about 20 times for the 3 or 4 hours of a football game with it's moments of supreme effort and bone crushing hits.
I read a story about Jerome Bettis' ritual the day after a game wheh he was still playing, where he crawled out of bed, and down the stairs to get his day started. Took him about 3 hours to get where he could move freely. Flying first class is only going to make it a little less miserable on that plane.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2007, 04:10:52 PM »

It'll probably be a blow-out by one team... :\  OR... neither defense can stop the other so it'll be something like 52-48 ;-()

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2007, 08:03:43 PM »
Well it's on now.
If you listen to the sports or the news there's only one game this Sunday, and it's New England/Indy. Who will win? Who's favored and why? It seems like there are no other games on the schedule. Now that I type this I can't even think of another game that is on the schedule... :Confused: :rofl_2:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2007, 07:07:18 AM »
Whatever!?    Last nights MNF with Brett Favre hooking up for an 82 yard pass on the very 1st play in overtime was amazing!  I think MNF is scripted!?   :confused1:     Anyway, very cool..................I shouldn't have stayed up to watch it but in retrospect it was worth it.   :)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2007, 08:41:16 AM »
Whatever!?    Last nights MNF with Brett Favre hooking up for an 82 yard pass on the very 1st play in overtime was amazing!  I think MNF is scripted!?   :confused1:     Anyway, very cool..................I shouldn't have stayed up to watch it but in retrospect it was worth it.   :)

I missed the game. It was kind of Kafkaesque. I forgot to set the DVR at least to the channel so I could watch some when I got home. So I get out of work and in my car and the radio is playing MNF. There's less than 2 minutes left, so I figure I've got no chance to watch any of it. Then Denver is going down to tie or win. I'm thinking (selfish SOB I am) if they tie it, I can at least watch the OT.
Denver gets all the way down to the 4 yard line, and I'm thinking if they get a touchdown don't get to watch football, and if they get a field goal I do. The end up with a field goal and I'm happy because I get to watch the OT. I turn the radio off, and scoot home (maybe 5 minutes). Turn on the TV expecting to see some football, and it's the postgame show...  :Confused: ..-)

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2007, 09:02:54 AM »

I missed the game. It was kind of Kafkaesque. I forgot to set the DVR at least to the channel so I could watch some when I got home. So I get out of work and in my car and the radio is playing MNF. There's less than 2 minutes left, so I figure I've got no chance to watch any of it. Then Denver is going down to tie or win. I'm thinking (selfish SOB I am) if they tie it, I can at least watch the OT.
Denver gets all the way down to the 4 yard line, and I'm thinking if they get a touchdown don't get to watch football, and if they get a field goal I do. The end up with a field goal and I'm happy because I get to watch the OT. I turn the radio off, and scoot home (maybe 5 minutes). Turn on the TV expecting to see some football, and it's the postgame show...  :Confused: ..-)

Ahhhh, your plans were foiled by the magical Favre and a ballsy call!   :cool: :king:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2007, 09:41:45 AM »

Ahhhh, your plans were foiled by the magical Favre and a ballsy call!   :cool: :king:

The upshot is I missed the entire week of football. I was playing tennis all day Sunday, well, I was driving most of the day and playing tennis (4 hours on the road and 2 hours on court). Got some dinner on the way home, and got home at about 8pm. Watched the World Series game, and then missed last night. :whistle:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2007, 10:02:49 AM »

The upshot is I missed the entire week of football. I was playing tennis all day Sunday, well, I was driving most of the day and playing tennis (4 hours on the road and 2 hours on court). Got some dinner on the way home, and got home at about 8pm. Watched the World Series game, and then missed last night. :whistle:

Yeah, I missed all games Sunday as well.   There was no Sunday night game right?   I looked and didn't find one. 

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2007, 10:07:51 AM »

Yeah, I missed all games Sunday as well.   There was no Sunday night game right?   I looked and didn't find one. 

I don't know. Maybe they didn't schedule one because they didn't want to go up against a World Series game.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2007, 01:06:18 AM »
The latest line:  Indianapolis is the underdog by 4 points against NE. Now this is at Indy so NE is considered more than just a little better. Still, Peyton Manning is a heck of a quarterback. Stay tuned!!