Author Topic: Who's got next?  (Read 3809 times)

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
Who's got next?
« on: March 06, 2005, 12:54:06 PM »
I know that allot of people think that Sharapova is the future of the WTA and the Federer is going to dominate forever. I think we're going to be in for a surprise. Who do you think are going to be the spoilers? Which up and comers do you think has the ability to displace these two?

I look at a player like Golovin and think if she only had the confidence. She has the game. Very good solid groundstrokes, she can hit anywhere in the court, has a pretty big effective serve and most of all she's a thinker on the court. Li, Na has a game similar to Golivin without the serve. But is even more of a thinker then Golovin. Kuznetsova said that playing Li, na was like playing a top 5 player. Nicole Vlaidisova, not much to say other then watch out.

Mofils, he has mad game and quite a athlete. He's still very green but has plenty of potiential. Nadal if he's not top 5 and doesn't win a major I'll be surprised. Soderling, he defiantely has the game to win big. There's so many more but I tried to stick to 3. Who do you guys think has next?
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Who's got next?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 12:58:31 PM »
I think Nadal for sure.  Especially on clay but he has game on the other surfaces too, and he is going to improve a ton in my opinion.  Needs a better serve.  I am anxious to see Monfils get a little older and show us what he is made of.

I am not so familiar with the younger women.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Betsmoyo

• Tennis Addict
Who's got next?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 02:45:20 PM »
ATP: Rafael, i agree the serve needs work. Safin if he stays up there can give Roger trouble as weve seen.

WTA: I dont think Maria will dominate so much. Serena can and will beat her almost routinely as long as she gets in tennis shape, shes in great shape but practicing and playing routinely.
Michaela Krajicek
Tatiana Golovin for sure will give the top women some trouble
Nicole Vaidisova very powerful game, strong hitter. Lindsay said in a post match interview that she can really hit the ball.
i wonder about Karolina, she lately has been sucking but i really hope that changes.
Ana Ivanovic
and Jelena Jankovic
Its all good...

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
Who's got next?
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 03:11:25 PM »
Michaela Krajicek  played hopman cup this year and from what I saw she does have a good game. Sprem I think she plays well against certain players, I not sure she will ever get to the top 10. If she does I'll be surprised if she stayed there. Is Ana Ivanovic the girl from serbia that said she would beat Sharapova's butt off? If so has a really really good game at only 14 I think. If she's keeps progressing I think for sure she will beat Sharapova's butt of one of these days.
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline Betsmoyo

• Tennis Addict
Who's got next?
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 03:16:50 PM »
Ana Ivanovic isnt the girl that said shed kick Maria. I cant believe i forgot that girl! Shes a big up and comer, Sesil Karatencheva. I found an interesting article about her. Shes not srbian, but Bulgarian.
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=12544&bannerregion=
I like her.
Its all good...

Anonymous

Who's got next?
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 03:24:06 PM »
Nadal's serve is definately a liabiltly but it's something I know he will improve. He has such a mature game for a guy who's 18. The thing that worries me about Monfils is that he seems to be modeling his game after Roddick. Some have even called him the French Roddick. The problem with this is that I feel he'll become too one dimenstional. He'll rely to much on a big serve and big forehand and neglect the rest of his game. I want to see him develop his whole game and then I think we will see what his made of.

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
Who's got next?
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 03:32:57 PM »
Quote from: "Betsmoyo"
Ana Ivanovic isnt the girl that said shed kick Maria. I cant believe i forgot that girl! Shes a big up and comer, Sesil Karatencheva. I found an interesting article about her. Shes not srbian, but Bulgarian.
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=12544&bannerregion=
I like her.[/quot

Really nice article, thanks!  She's quite a confident girl.

Offline Betsmoyo

• Tennis Addict
Who's got next?
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 03:40:03 PM »
yeah thats always good and shes only 15! Her and Vaidisova both. I think Vaidisovas better but thats b/c ive seen her play and she can whack the ball, great mover. I liker her too.
Its all good...

Anonymous

Who's got next?
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 04:26:59 PM »
I agree with Nadal on the mens side, although service issues are (generally) harder to fix than other mechanical problems.  I'd love to see Dent or Fish make a run but I don't think they will.

Krajicek is my choice on the female side.  I'm not sure Sharapova will ever dominate the way the Williams have or Hingis or Graf did but I don't believe Serena will ever beat Sharapova again (certainly not consistently).  Her (Sharapova's) last loss (to Serena) showed one  area which Serena exploited to win and that was stamina.  I'm sure Sharapova's father and coaches saw the same thing.  Plus Sharapova is still hungry and proud.  Williams may be proud but she is no longer hungry and the injuries are only just starting, IMO.

Offline T rat

• Tennis Player
Who's got next?
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 04:28:35 PM »
That last (guest) post was mine, sorry I forgot to log in. ;&gt;)

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
Who's got next?
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 04:32:13 PM »
Look out for Marco Baghdadis on the men's side, he took a set off Fed last yr at the USO.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline trente-quinze

• Tennis Enthusiast
Who's got next?
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 04:36:15 PM »
Quote from: "thejackal"
Look out for Marco Baghdadis on the men's side, he took a set off Fed last yr at the USO.

Not just that but he had a good Australian Open as well.
the froggy chick formerly known as arnod

Offline cakes

• Tennis Addict
Who's got next?
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 07:30:54 PM »
Arnod:

Your team came through!  Congrats - maybe the young one is over his previous devastating loss for Davis Cup.

cakes

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
Who's got next?
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2005, 09:19:16 PM »
The WTA is all messed up. If you can go for years w/o winning a GS and be number one or two, something isn't right. And those that are winning GS, they don't play enough to deserve the number 1 spot.
Federer will be around for a long while.  Nadal, Safin, Monfils will all beat Federer now and then, but I don't see them knocking Federer around for the whole calendar, maybe Nadal will own Federer on clay. Dent, Fish and Baghdadis, what are those?
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
Who's got next?
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2005, 09:40:40 PM »
Alicia Molik and Nicole Vaidisova are both good enough to be number 1.

On the men's side, Nadal seems to have the most potential to be number 1, if only for a week.  

That Mathieu dude from France is a great player.  Saw him for the first time this morning.  He's the most impressive new player (new only because I haven't seen him before) I've seen in a long time.  I'm going to rave about him the way I raved about Davychenko.  Future top 10-er.

Anonymous

Who's got next?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2005, 02:33:29 AM »
Why aren't any Americans getting any love? What about Ginepri? Nadal is all hype.

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
Who's got next?
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2005, 07:04:19 AM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
Why aren't any Americans getting any love? What about Ginepri? Nadal is all hype.
Because tennis is an international sport.  And Ginepri is too run of the mill.  

Nadal seems to be the most beloved player of the moment.  Tennis fans are just gaga over him.

Offline david

• Tennis Player
Who's got next?
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2005, 08:44:02 AM »
no one has mentioned ljubicic he is going to be a real contender this year, does he have a big serve, if so he could do well at wimbledon also ancic is still only 20 he is improving and was last to beat federer at wimbledon, molik is my favourite female at the moment she could also do well at wimbledon

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Who's got next?
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2005, 09:01:47 AM »
He has a great serve.  His second serve has some real kick on it which was givign Roddick some problems in the first set.  I think Ivan will do great this year.  Hopefully for him this is not just a hot streak.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Anonymous

Who's got next?
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2005, 04:21:50 PM »
I know it's a international sport but I get so sick of every time I visit a message board that no one every mentions a American player as a up and comer. I think Ginepri has the potiential to be another Agassi. And what about Jamea Jackson who played a gorgeous match agaisn't the precious Nicole Vladisova and could have easly won. So you guys think after Williams and Roddick are gone there's no one to take their place? If so your wrong cause there are.