Author Topic: Who's got next?  (Read 3709 times)

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
Who's got next?
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2005, 04:23:22 PM »
How long's Ginepri been around for now without doing anything? Remember when you all thought Gambill was the great American hope? Truth of the matter is, after Roddick & Agassi the American players are a pretty average bunch.

Anonymous

Who's got next?
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2005, 04:35:10 PM »
Why does everybody think if a guy has been around for all of 5 years and hasn't won a major that he's a nobody and won't ever improve. The guys is young and hasn't even been around that long like I said he has great potiential. Have you ever heard of a late bloomer? I'm so over the Anti-American vibe on allot of these boards.

Anonymous

Who's got next?
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2005, 04:56:40 PM »
I want to apologize in case I'm coming off nasty or hostile but I just would like to see a little bit more support of some up and coming American players. The talent is there it just needs to be nourished.

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
Who's got next?
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2005, 05:04:11 PM »
I wanna see support for some up and coming Belgians, and Dutch, and Turks. Truth is there aren't any. What makes Ginepri so different from someone like Victor Hanescu other than he's American? His results/performances so far have done little to suggest he'll ever be anything more than a top 30, in my opinion.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Who's got next?
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2005, 05:09:57 PM »
The Sampras-Agassi-Chang-Courier-Martin era of great players was a freak occurence, and will not repeated, so the Americans will jut have to come to terms with that.

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
Who's got next?
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2005, 05:16:17 PM »
each country goes through peaks and troughs of producing great players. At the moment, the Russians on the WTA side and to an extent the Argies and Spanish on the ATP are developing the better players, and USA and other supposed sporting super powers just have to deal with that. That might sound harsh, but people can't live on past glories. I know that too well being an Everton supporter......

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Who's got next?
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2005, 05:22:42 PM »
What have you got to complain about? You lot shoud make champions League this season, which was impossible to believe at the beginning of the season. What do you think of this week's champions league matches, I reckon all th English teams may go out apart from Liverpool. Arsenal are out if they concede a goal, and Chelsea will struggle if they concede, and Man U have little chance in the San Siro.

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
Who's got next?
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2005, 05:26:24 PM »
The weekend was great up until Sunday with Liverpool losing at Newcastle. If we'd beaten Blackburn, we'd have been 11 pts clear in 4th, but we throw in our poorest display since the opening day of the season and lose.

In regards to the Champions League, I'm going to look into my crystal ball and see that Man Utd will go out, Arsenal will follow them after conceding yet more goals (I don't even think Lehmann & Almunia together in goal could catch a cold, never mind a football), Liverpool will hopefully lose, but I sense arrogant Chelsea winning 1-0..... Anyway, what team do you support so I can take the mickey......

BTW, how randomly off-topic, feel free to continue to debate Ginepri's (lack of) ability  :whistle:

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
Who's got next?
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2005, 05:27:11 PM »
Well, I have to admit that you guys are right although I would like to see a American do well I don't see any American that can take the place of the William's and Roddick and Aggassi when they retire. I don't think there is so much an Anti American vibe it's just that there aren't really any American's to talk about. Donald Young is looked at as being the next great American player, but i'm not so sure. His first mistake was turning pro so young. He's nowhere near as physically strong as the men on tour. For the girls it might be ok to turn pro at 14 but they guys in unless your 15 and built and as strong as a full grown man it's not going to work. Maybe he's the real thing but many players have been hyped up in the past and have turned out to be a dud so we'll see.
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Who's got next?
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2005, 05:41:39 PM »
I'm an Arsenal fan, and am confident about our ability to score the 2 goals needed to take us through, but am very unconfident about our ability to avoid conceding a goal, especailly without Campbell. We're also missing Pires, who hasn't been playing well recently, but is still exceptionally talented. With Henry on the pitch (quite possibly the best footballer on earth) we have a chance to score twice, but the problem is that if they score once, Arsenal have to score three just to take it to extra time/ penalties.

BTW, Ginepri is a bit poor, although I wouldn't give up on him yet.

Anonymous

Who's got next?
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2005, 06:28:05 PM »
Quote from: "gm3106"

BTW, Ginepri is a bit poor, although I wouldn't give up on him yet.

Finally someone agree's with me and see's potiential in Ginepri.

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
Who's got next?
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2005, 07:50:03 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
I know it's a international sport but I get so sick of every time I visit a message board that no one every mentions a American player as a up and comer. I think Ginepri has the potiential to be another Agassi. And what about Jamea Jackson who played a gorgeous match agaisn't the precious Nicole Vladisova and could have easly won. So you guys think after Williams and Roddick are gone there's no one to take their place? If so your wrong cause there are.
Dude, I don't think anybody is intentionally trying to snub American players.  There's a Donald Young thread around here someplace.  People aren't naming American players simply because none come to mind in regards to answering the question.  

Ginepri will never be another Agassi.  At best, he's a solid top 20 player that just might sneak into the top 10 one day.  Not exactly the type of prospect that gets the heart racing and computer keyboards pounding.  And he's a known commodity.  I actually think Mardy Fish is a way more intriguing prospect than Ginepri.

Offline Betsmoyo

• Tennis Addict
Who's got next?
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2005, 09:51:55 PM »
Fish could IF he got into good enough shape. He isnt in the best of shape, plus he needs to work on his game all around. Net game and just everything. But i would LOVE to see Mardy do well! He has potential. Sadly i dont think he'll be a numb 1. Top 10er one day big titles, i dunno though. I wouldnt be sad if i were wrong.
Its all good...

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
Who's got next?
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2005, 11:09:48 PM »
I think Dent got a better chance to make something of himself than Fish or Ginepri. Donald Young is an enigma right now. He's good, but turning pro at 15 will only hasten injuries or he'll just burn out before he peaked. I'm sure there are a lot of up and coming Americans. We'll just have to wait and see. Gambill's been playing for like 8 yrs now? He's not new or young. Don't forget James Blake, he got potentials.
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
Who's got next?
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2005, 04:19:57 AM »
Fish, IMO, has way more potential than Blake and Ginepri.  Blake has a great forehand, and he's quick, but his backhand and serve is too average.  He's done well.  I doubt he's ever going to do much better than he already has.  

I've been waiting for Dent to make a move for a couple of years now, and I've pretty much given up on him.  Fitness is his biggest issue.  You would think he's got the weapons needed to crack the top ten, but he's too out of shape, inconsistent, and lumbering.  

Fish is also not the greatest mover on tour but I think his weapons are the type that can compensate for his weaknesses.  He's got a huge serve, a great backhand, is pretty cocky, and seems to have an X-factor type flair for the game.  He's got a lot of talent.  He needs to strengthen up, get his movement up, make his forehand more consistent, and maybe get a new coach.  He has the type of talent that I think a lot of elite coaches would be interested in tinkering with.

We'll see.

Anonymous

Who's got next?
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2005, 07:45:40 PM »
Personally I don't think fish has it at all. How many guys in the ATP have good backhands and a big serve? To many to count. Other than his serve and backhand he's nothing special Saying he's a solid top 50 is generous. He's going to fall in that where are they now categorie in a few years, I don't think there's much hope for the American men, maybe the women might have some success and that's a big might. Blake probably has the most potiential of all the young Americans, Or you better hope that young is the real deal. I agree that he is way to underdeveloped to have joined the tour at this point. He's going get knocked around so much that he's probably going to end up quiting before he peaks. I predict the next great tennis nation will come from FRANCE.  ://

Offline T rat

• Tennis Player
Who's got next?
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2005, 08:54:00 PM »
No, no, no Blake is old news.  No backhand, mediocre serve.  Fish has a shot.  He has all of the tools within reach but drive could be his biggest failure.  Sadly, I think the same about Dent.  Young is way to young to talk about.  But let's not count out Andy.  He is VERY dedicated at this point and who knows how much better Roger can get (maybe he's peaked).  Andy could be an Agassi in Reebok clothing...

Anonymous

Who's got next?
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2005, 09:11:02 PM »
Trust me you guys are betting on the wrong man. Fish is going nowhere fast, he's just nothing special. I saw the match this year between Blake and Hewitt, Blake really showed me something. I think he has the goods. When he learns how to play tennis then he can really be something. The ATP is becoming more and more athletic and in no way is Fish a athlete. Soon we all be saying, Fish who?

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Who's got next?
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2005, 09:43:14 PM »
I do not think Fish has much either.  He has not showed me the potential I expected.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Betsmoyo

• Tennis Addict
Who's got next?
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2005, 05:30:28 AM »
Fish could be better if he got in better shape and was more consistent. He goes from the silver medal to what like the 2rd? Hes done great 1 week bad the next few.
Its all good...