Author Topic: Best on tour  (Read 1400 times)

Offline healey1101

• Tennis Player
Best on tour
« on: March 07, 2005, 02:17:38 PM »
For you, who is the best player on the WTA Tour?
I obviously can't ask about the ATP cause Federer wins everything.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Best on tour
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 02:26:04 PM »
That is a very interesting question, and I think very hard to answer because of all the injuries.  Davenport is #1, but I think she is benifiting from a lot of players being hurt.  But I do believe she is the cleanest striker of the ball, simply amazing how crisp she hits it.  

Henin has mad skillz (and mental problems, cheater!) and she fights like a dog.  If she was still healthy I think she would easily be number 1.  But to say she is the best on tour right now is silly because she is not even playing.

Serena, too streaky for me to say she is the best.

Sharapova, not yet, but getting there.  This girl has everything and she is very young.  If she keeps getting better this question will be a lot easier to answer!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Best on tour
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 03:13:11 PM »
For me it has to be Maria within about 4- 6 months time as i honestly believe she will be world number 1 if she stays injury free sometime this year and i honestly believe Maria will go onto be the year end number 1 player. :H
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Betsmoyo

• Tennis Addict
Best on tour
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 03:37:01 PM »
i say Justine Serena or Kim are the best Serena is NOT my favorite though. Shes is very talented and very good. Lindsay, Anastasia, Elena are below them. Really good just not the same raw talent.
Its all good...

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
Best on tour
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 03:48:28 PM »
If Lindsay had Serena's mobility, I reckon she'd be the clear best. That's a big if though....

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Best on tour
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 03:51:46 PM »
No way is Davenport the best in the world- I think it's between Serena and Maria, with Serena better when playing well, sharp and focused.

Denise50

Best on tour
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 04:02:49 PM »
There are a lot of 'ifs' when I try to say who the best WTA player is right now:

IF Serena is health, she's the best;
IF Davenport get's her head together and get a little more mobile, she may be the best;
IF we see Justine back like she was playing before her mysterious illness, then she was the best;
etc. etc.

The truth - the entire WTA needs a hospital ward to keep their top players playing!  Since they all are hurt so much! :))

Of course, Federer (in my opinion) is the best ATP player!!! :H

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
Best on tour
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 04:12:08 PM »
If the question is who's playing the best a tthe moment I would have to say Davenport and Mauresmo. Their results have been cosistently better than everyone else's over the past year. Most tennis and insiders believe that Serena has the potiential for greatness and athlectially superior to almost everyone on tour. Although she has the potiential for greatness she hasn't been playing that great in my opinon. She did win the first major of the year but she didn't do it playing her best tennis and her results over  the past year have been inconsistent. Sharapova I believe is one of the most gifted players on tour. She was born to play tennis, I believe Serena could have played anything and would have been great but Maria was meant to play tennis. She's not the quickest but her anticpation is amazing. She has the eye as my coach says. She also has amazing hands similar to davenport. Serena and Maria are probably the two best players on the tour but their results haven't been as consistent as Mauresmo and Davenport.

Federer has been playing some great tennis but those prediciting his dominance for years to come could be in for a surprise. Anything can happen whether it's injury or a hot new plaer coming along. this puzzle called Fedrer could be solved allot sooner then we all think. I've seen safin play a live match once and I was amazed at how physically strong and imposing he was, the man is a beast. Safin's game to me is like a male version of Serena's game. When Serena began to dominate it was because her mental game improved. The same can happen for Safin and when it does the dragon will be unleashed.
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Denise50

Best on tour
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 04:18:38 PM »
No doubt about it... Safin has the goods to dominate!  But, he'll play the match of his life against Roger in the SF of AO, then looses the first round of another tournament.. and Safin is older than Roger.  In order to stay on top for a while, I think you definitely have to have the mentality.  Some players can not be #1 - they can't handle it.  Until Safin shows me differently, I'm going to put him in that category.  (He even admitted when he was #1 for that brief time, he didn't like the attention, etc. etc.).  I know Roger's run won't last forever, but I'm definitely going to enjoy it while it's here. ://

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
Best on tour
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 04:27:26 PM »
Just to clarify, I never said Davenport was the best. I think her groundstrokes are the most accurate, powerful, consistant but her mobility drags her down. If she had the speed of Serena or Capriati however, I'd say she'd be the best all-round player.

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Best on tour
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 08:58:18 PM »
I think that as far as talent is concerned, Serena is the best. She can go out and win matches even when she hasnt been practicing and isnt playing her best. Because of her lack of practice and preparation, she is a streaky player but if she is training and practicing like she should -- Serena is the best.

I have to put Lindsay Mauresmo & Sharapova right up there w. Serena tho because they, too, can produce amazing results and are playing well. I just have to think that a healthy, prepared Serena will take them down every time.

DirtyKash that's me

Re: Best on tour
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 09:31:05 PM »
Quote from: "healey1101"
I obviously can't ask about the ATP cause Federer wins everything.

What, you mean the same way he won at the Australian Open? Or the French Open?  ..-)

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Best on tour
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 09:59:26 PM »
No, I think he means the way Federer has already won 3 titles this year while the only other player relatively close to him (Safin) won the Australian Open and then lost an embarrasing early round in his first tournament following that win.

Nobody quote me on that Safin loss, tho, bC I can't find the tournament that it happened in. But I remember reading about it.