Author Topic: Which Masters Series events are the crappest?  (Read 2033 times)

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
Which Masters Series events are the crappest?
« on: March 07, 2005, 05:36:07 PM »
I reckon these are the best:

Indian Wells (128 draw, big stadium, full crowd)
Miami (Same as above)
Rome (The premier clay court MS event)
Cinncinati (Always seems to have full capacity crowd, which is really important at an event which is supposed to be prestegious. I hate the WTA events which have sparsely populated crowds, it's embarrasing for the sport. At the WTA YEC last year, there was only about five people watching, they must have been giving the tickets away. Actually, as much as I dislike the guy, I reckon they should give the WTA YEC to that Texan matress person, who will put some money into it. But they shouldn't play it outdoors because it will just piss down).
Paris (It has more tradition than the other indoor MS).

I reckon these are the crappest:

Monaco (No-one bothers turning up as shown last year, when Spadea was the only one who could be bothered, Federer and Hewitt couldn't and Agassi hasn't shown up since '98. It also seems to get a bit cold).
Hamburg (This is purely a money-making exercise and it is too close to the FO whch explains why few can be bothered to turn up)
Canada (Last year they opened the new tennis centre for the Tornonto event, which put it on a par with the Montreal site, but there were still empty seats which is bad)
Madrid (If you're thinking of ways to reduce the schedule at the end of the year, then this one should be scrapped, or made to alterante every year with Paris. Although it is better here than in Stuttgart, when it was normal for no-one to be watching in the crowd, and Sampras and Agassi to pull out without any reason)

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 05:38:42 PM »
I think that there should be a Masters on grass too....perhaps get rid of Madrid and make it a grass event? Also, there are too many Masters played in the US for me, why not spread them around?

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 05:42:11 PM »
Amen brother!!  I wish there were more grass tournaments as I have stated before.  A few per year is complete crap!

I live 90 minutes from the Cinncy Master Series event.  Good times down there.  :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 05:47:19 PM »
The problem with turning say, Queens Club, into a Masters Series event is that they would have to play Wimbledon a week later because nobody would wish to play a MS event straight after the FO (as Queens and Halle currently are). I quite like the way the FO and W are squeezed right next to each other; it's a real feast of tennis for the viewer at that time of year, although it is undoubtedly bad for the players.

Actually, I am in favour of giving the grass court MS to Halle because of the retractable roof they have there, which makes life a lot easier for fans.

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 05:52:32 PM »
Yeh, both Queens or Halle would be good venues for a MS. Why not just move it around the calendar? Perhaps bring Newport forward to before Wimbledon to take the place of Halle/Queens and switch this to a few weeks after Wimbledon and make it a Masters Perhaps even add a few more small grass events in the build up to it.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 05:54:44 PM »
By the way Rainer, which part of England are you from and what is your occupation, if you don't mind saying? I'm a student from Birmingham and, as you've probably guessed, am into tennis and football.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 05:57:17 PM »
And another thing, that tennis-world.org that you list at the bottom of your posts seems to have been hijakced by a site called 'Globale Vision', something French. That site had the address for that Al-Jazeera sports channel which showed live AO, and I think will show live FO in the summer (hopefully). It also shows live La liga, but unfortunately no premiership matches.

Offline kungpaobenji27

• Tennis Addict
Re: Which Masters Series events are the crappest?
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 11:15:19 PM »
My List:

Best
1. Canada (when played in Montreal)-It's a vibrant kicking city full of culture and the stands are usually filled.  Seems pretty laid back and the night matches are a joy to watch on TV.
2. Rome-Yep.  It is the premier clay court event.  When I'm watching this on the televiseur, it feels like tennis played outside a castle or battle in a medieval colosseum.
3. Monte Carlo-I actually love this one.  Laid back clay court tennis that seems like a very fan friendly environment.  This is THE clay tourney I'd love to attend.  Plus it's close to the beach, which is great for tennis vacationers and the players.  Clay court tennis and the beach are a perfect match kids, which of the other TMS events can offer that? Great premise for an event but too bad the timing sucks.
4. Madrid-Spain needs an event with a fast surface.  The tourney lives up to that billing, plus they've got those hot models picking up balls now.  It'd be nicer if they changed the surface to carpet seeing how there's already Indian Wells, Miami, Cincy, etc.  
5. Shanghai year end tourney-Thank God the next 3 finals will be played at this venue.  Surface is fast and the fans seem to appreciate the game more than the ones in Houston.  The indoor environment is appropriate.....did I mention the fans are crazy?  Even Serena Williams likes playing WTA tour events in this city because of the crowd just gets into matches.  
6. Cincy-Need I say more?

Crappuchino
1. Canada (Toronto)- Stands don't usually packed till the finals.  Toronto doesn't seem as cultured as Montreal plus the nightlife is ehh lacking.  The stadium still doesn't look as good as Montreal's.  Just seems too basic.  The court is too damn blue as well!
2. Hamburg-Money making tourney that lacks ambience, feel, and is too close to the French....I believe only 2 weeks apart? Ridiculous, pointless, blah blah......
3.  Paris-The only TMS tourney played on carpet unfortunately (It'd be even better if it was played on grass)  Watching it on tv doesn't really evoke any feelings or emotions from me either.  The court appears very dull and colorless.  Doesn't Paris already have the French Open too?!?!  This event does have copious history but it's missing something....maybe if they switched Madrid to a fast carpet and followed that up with Paris on grass?
4. Houston Year End Tourney-Tennis is the 2nd most popular spectator sport behind soccer in the world.  Since the US begs to differ from that, playing this year end tourney in Houston of all places doesn't exactly show why this sport is loved by many everywhere else outside of America.  All I hear is "Let's go Andy!" or "Andre" and that's about all the fans know how to say when watching this event in Houston.  You just don't feel it from the stands.  Don't get me wrong, I loved the atmosphere when the US took out Spain in 2002 on grass at Westside Tennis Center.  It provided for great camradarie, fun, and national pride.  However this place NEVER HAD the makings for a year end event.
5. Indian Wells and Miami-Pretty good tourneys but so tired of hearing about how great they are from everybody.  Cool but sorta overhyped imo.

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 04:41:15 AM »
That link at the bottom of sig not working isn't a great loss - that board is a proverbial ghost site. Anyways, like you I am also a student but herald from an area slightly more North - Liverpool.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 04:48:22 AM »
i enjoy all the Masters Series events and i think they are all done very well. They all offer something different and i really enjoy all 9. It would be hard for me to pick a favourite but would be much harder to pick the worst as they are 9 very unique events and i cant wait for them to get underway in a few days time in Indian Wells. :H
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 06:21:47 AM »
I don't find all 9 unique at all. What does Madrid actually offer thats different? And surely one of Hamburg/Monte Carlo/Rome could go, preferably Hamburg.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 07:30:50 AM »
It was only my opinion and the way i feel when watching the events, i really enjoy them all, and apparantely the players like all the Masters Series events but are not too keen on how early Monte Carlo takes place in particular the non- Europeans.

yeah i take your point but in their own way they represent something of their country. look at the amount of excellent spanish male players there are. wouldnt it be a little less special if they didnt have the chance to play for a major honour in their country. Why should Spain, Italy or Germany have to do without such highly ranked events when a country like North America has the chance to have a grand slam as well as 4 Masters Series events. Each of the Masters Series events have their own culture and their unique style.

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005, 07:37:46 AM »
You shouldn't base events on the number of players who originate from that country. What about all those great Argentine players? Where's their Masters? It just doesn't work like that. For me, Madrid is the least interesting of all the Masters, in terms of its surface and its position on the calendar. It's just bland to me.

I agree about the number of large events in America - I'd like to see them spread around a bit, perhaps keep Madrid but bump it up the calendar and strike off one of Indian Wells/Miami/Cincinatti/Canada

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2005, 08:02:23 AM »
Yeah but Madrid has only been on the calandar for 3 years so who knows we must give it time before making strong judgements on it. Every new tournament needs time to settle in its role and form something special, so who knows this is what may happen with Madrid only the future will tell.

It would be tough to choose which 1 of the 4 American events to get rid of. I couldn't see the organises getting rid of either Indian Wells or Miami because these 2 are generally known as the major 2 Masters Series.  Cincinatti is apparantely either the 1st of 2nd oldest tournament in America so an awful lot of history goes with this event. Therefore that leaves Canada. This is a very large country and in order to promote the sport in the largest countries thay like to have really big events there. Therefore this may bring 2 really big populated countries like Russia and China into the equation and say why not have a large tournament in these 2 each year in order to promote the sport there. Thats why taking the Masters Cup to Shanghai is fantastic rather than America because you are promoting the sport to a different audience of people.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2005, 08:10:53 AM »
I agree that there are too many U.S MS tournaments, but you can't really get rid of any of them because they are so well established. The prime candidates for scrapping are, in my opinion, Monte Carlo, Hamburg and Madrid, but they are all European, so to scrap one of them would give the U.S an even bigger share of MS tournaments.

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2005, 08:15:53 AM »
Maybe not get rid of any, but perhaps down grade them to the same level as Dubai.....I think this could work with either Miami or Canada.

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2005, 09:10:28 AM »
Rome and Madrid are the two I'd most like to attend.  Miami is a fun city, so that tournament would be a good vacation also.  Pac Life is going on two hours away from me.  I should check it out.  Lots of cute tennis chicks.

Anonymous

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2005, 11:32:54 AM »
Actually, what annoys me most about all the empty seats I see at some of these MS events is that I would really like to see Agassi play before he retires, but it is unlikely to happen because of the difficulty in obtaining tickets for the centre court and no.1 courts at Wimbledon (Agassi is always on the main courts).

So when I see these empty seats I think, 'if only I was in the Toronto/Madird/Rome', because then all I would have to do is turn up and I would be able to see Agassi play. I've thought about trying to get tickets for Queens Club, but everytime Agassi has decided to play it has been as a last-minute wildcard, so it would be way too risky for me to try and get tickets for Queens now, because he may not play there this year (he has only ever played there 3 times). I've even considered flying down to Madrid in case he plays there, but that would be expensive, and I would need tickets for both the Monday and Tuesday to guarantee being able to watch him, and sometimes he doesn't bother playing there or withdraws last minute , so again, it is just too risky.

Unless I can get tickets for the main courts at Wimbledon this year, I reckon my best chance of seeing him is on the practice courts where spectators can watch, and that's much better than nothing, seeing as it looks as though I will fail in my quest. Also, it's not even a certainty that he will play Wimbledon this year, as he pulled out injured last year.