Author Topic: Vitamin D and Vitamin K2(MK-7) synergy -- Updated.  (Read 2872 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: Vitamin D and Vitamin K2(MK-7) synergy -- Updated.
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 02:36:35 PM »

Chart for Vitamin D blood levels and % disease prevention.

http://www.grassrootshealth.net/media/download/disease_incidence_prev_chart_101608.pdf

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 03:14:13 PM »
Vitamins are for those who don't get enough nutrients through their regular meals. If you eat nothing but junk food you sure need them. If you eat lots of vegetables and fruit, you probably don't.

No you do.
There is no way for instance to get enough vitamin D year around.
MK-7 or vitamin K2 can be gotten from natto, but most don't like natto.
You have to supplement.

Food these days don't have the nutrients they used to, they are very low in some of them.

Well, I don't take vitamin supplements on account of having a fairly healthy diet and spending quite a bit of time in the sun when it's out - without sunscreen on. What do you think I am risking? 

Increased risk for disease and bodily functions not performing at optimal levels.

Just read a study were increased anti oxidants in the urine is one predictor for life span.
In other words, though they go in and out of the system they are fulfilling needs when there.

This is just one of many studies on lower vitamin D levels:

Vitamin D and bone aging

Then there's magnesium, used in over 300 processes in the body and over 80% are deficient in it.

Their worth isn't being discussed much anymore but the optimal amounts for the most part.

Most doctors don't know much about it but some do.

Well, I have taken several blood samples in recent years, and asked specifically if I was short of any vitamins and got the message every time that the levels were fine. Both vitamin D and magnesium were definitely among those checked. But I'll consider adding to my intake in winter, when the sun is rarely up (I live in Norway). It is generally recommended here anyway. But then, they don't expect people to eat healthy. And they expect them to use too much sunscreen, blocking the vitamin uptake from the sun. So recommendations are given with that in mind.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 04:45:05 PM »
Vitamins are for those who don't get enough nutrients through their regular meals. If you eat nothing but junk food you sure need them. If you eat lots of vegetables and fruit, you probably don't.

No you do.
There is no way for instance to get enough vitamin D year around.
MK-7 or vitamin K2 can be gotten from natto, but most don't like natto.
You have to supplement.

Food these days don't have the nutrients they used to, they are very low in some of them.

Well, I don't take vitamin supplements on account of having a fairly healthy diet and spending quite a bit of time in the sun when it's out - without sunscreen on. What do you think I am risking? 

Increased risk for disease and bodily functions not performing at optimal levels.

Just read a study were increased anti oxidants in the urine is one predictor for life span.
In other words, though they go in and out of the system they are fulfilling needs when there.

This is just one of many studies on lower vitamin D levels:

Vitamin D and bone aging

Then there's magnesium, used in over 300 processes in the body and over 80% are deficient in it.

Their worth isn't being discussed much anymore but the optimal amounts for the most part.

Most doctors don't know much about it but some do.

Well, I have taken several blood samples in recent years, and asked specifically if I was short of any vitamins and got the message every time that the levels were fine. Both vitamin D and magnesium were definitely among those checked. But I'll consider adding to my intake in winter, when the sun is rarely up (I live in Norway). It is generally recommended here anyway. But then, they don't expect people to eat healthy. And they expect them to use too much sunscreen, blocking the vitamin uptake from the sun. So recommendations are given with that in mind.

The readings that are considered normal are in many cases not normal.

The people who determine these levels are way behind the latest research, maybe ten years or more.

Usually 30 ng/ml is rated as normal for Vitamin D, but for optimal use it should be 50 - 80 ng/ml.
This is way higher and the amounts needed for some disease prevention.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 06:32:03 PM »
Doctors for instance will tell you that your vitamin D levels are fine.
They use the metric of 30 ng/ml as a low point.
The amount needed for disease prevention is around 50-80 ng/ml which close to no one has unless their supplementing.

Taking vitamin D won't bring your levels up quickly, it takes weeks to get it moving and about 3 months to level out with a constant intake amount.

I may start a new thread about magnesium, very important and over 80% of the population is deficient.
It's used in over 300 chemical processes in the body and very effective for preventing kidney stones among many other problems.

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 02:45:15 AM »
I hope my vitamin D levels are up to scratch now, at least, I've gotten a lot of Sun this summer and I'm about the palest guy you've never seen - short of an albino - so I absorb most of the Sun's rays.

I have taken magnesium supplement for some years previously but I stopped a few years back as I didn't notice any difference from taking it.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 08:27:02 PM »
I hope my vitamin D levels are up to scratch now, at least, I've gotten a lot of Sun this summer and I'm about the palest guy you've never seen - short of an albino - so I absorb most of the Sun's rays.

I have taken magnesium supplement for some years previously but I stopped a few years back as I didn't notice any difference from taking it.

Sometimes you'll notice and other times you won't.
I don't notice anything either but that doesn't mean it's not helping.

I'll have to gather some information later but my job leaves me too worn out to do much lately.

Offline Litotes

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 06:52:29 AM »
You too? I'm pretty worn out myself. But at and after work, actually. If you know about something that will give more energy, feel free to mention it (no addictive stuff, though). But I guess then you'd use it yourself....

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2013, 05:47:08 AM »
You too? I'm pretty worn out myself. But at and after work, actually. If you know about something that will give more energy, feel free to mention it (no addictive stuff, though). But I guess then you'd use it yourself....

Some of the things I use for energy but right now I have run out.

High grade resveratrol, it gives me quite a bit of energy. But you have to be careful as some sell cheap stuff and those won't do anything.
Acetyl carnitine is also known for for that.

I'll get a more comprehensive list as I have to do some shopping myself and will also include sources that are pharmacy grade with guranteed potency.

As a matter of fact I have a whole list of energizing supplements and maybe this would be an interesting thread also.

Offline Nekro t4u

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 11:54:34 PM »
For fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, K I prefer to eat cod liver from time to time..... It's not only healthy but also very delicious.....

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 08:12:34 PM »
For fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, K I prefer to eat cod liver from time to time..... It's not only healthy but also very delicious.....

The trouble is the ratios of vitamins in cod liver oil.
And different brands will have different ratios.

To get enough vitamin D to bring blood levels up to optimal levels then too much vitamin A will be taken.
The form of vitamin A in cod liver oil is active meaning it doesn't have to be converted.
Beta carotene is better in that it will be converted to active vitamin A as the body needs it.
But a little cod liver oil now and then will help some.

The vitamin K in cod liver oil is K1.
K2 (MK-4, MK-7) is what's needed.
K2 takes calcium out of the body and into the bone after carboxylating proteins.
The MK-7 form is preferred as it stays in the body for some time to do it's work but the MK-4 is gone with a short half life of hours.

The minimum of K2(MK-7 form) needed is 200 mcg, a very small amount and more doesn't hurt as it's non toxic.

The vitamin E is good but the form most people need is called gamma E and should get about 500-1000 mg a day. Cod liver oil has natural vitamin e which helps some.

So if you take it now and then it WILL help some especially if you are running low in one of those vitamins.

People get in trouble by taking too much all the time, getting too much vitamin A.

Never tried it myself. But from what I've heard.  :yuk:  I guess it's a acquired taste.  :rofl_2:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2013, 10:41:25 AM »
Just a general link on vitamin D. It has some good general but recent information.

Vitamin D

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2013, 07:52:39 PM »
Found this article on vitamin K2.
Very good explanation and a pretty solid background on the vitamin.

http://www.westonaprice.org/fat-soluble-activators/x-factor-is-vitamin-k2#dental