Author Topic: NBA TIME!!!  (Read 62849 times)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Re: NBA TIME!!!
« Reply #160 on: April 19, 2008, 10:41:01 PM »
Unfortunately, Dallas, your Mavs went down hard to New Orleans.
One of 2 votes against the move of the Supersonics to to Oklahoma City was Mark Cuban. So he gets two pieces of bad news. He looses this game, and he gets a rival team 2 hours from Dallas. ..-)
the other vote can be Memphis also, it's so sad to lose the sonics, it's the first traditional franchise that I will see moving. :(
are the Nets moving to Brooklyn for sure???

Off topic, can somebody tell me a great mlb franchise to root for please??
I rooted for the Mets til Glavine collapse in last game of regular season ended a dramatic downfall.
I like old ballparks, Wrigley and Fenway Park.
(dont like the yanquees and dislike giants and dodgers bc they moved from NY and Brooklyn)

Though I live near Boston, I'm not a Red Sox fan in the normal sense of the word. But I like the way they go about their business. I think they have the right attitude about running a team and playing the game, and I like the mix of players they have. So I guess you can say I'm a fan of this Red Sox team.
As for the teams I'm a fan of, the two you don't like (for what I feel is a strange reason) are the the ones I can say I'm a fan of, the Dogers and Giants. I mean they moved back in the 50's. Why would have a problem with that?
dont know, perhaps there's too much tradition lost with the NY Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers and legendary Polo Grounds and Ebbets Field.
they are the best clubs from the West for sure (add Philadelphia Athletics then Oakland Athletics)
I agree about the Red Sox roster, really strong team and favorites to win World Series again. I like the fact they have a strong rivalry with the Yankees.
are the Cubs popular in America or a laughing stock like the Clippers??? I like Wrigley Field, my fav. ballpark with SF, but all my friends from Chicago are WhiteSox fans.

The Cubs are extremely popular. Even outside of Chicago. They are popular for the same reason as the Atlanta Braves. Before the recent Cable TV advances, back in the '80s and early '90s the Braves were seen on WTBS, and the Cubs were seen on WGN all over the country.  So many areas that didn't have a local team took the Cubs or Braves as their favorites. Plus the Cubs have the same Lovable Loser image that the Brooklyn Dodgers used to have. Now that the Red Sox have broken their World Series Jinx, the Cubs are now on the clock as the most frustrated team, having not won a World Series since 1908, or something like that.

Well conchita banana, when your world travels bring you the the City of Broad Shoulders, give me a shout. I live right near Wrigley (tough ticket, though  lol) Not a Cub fan at all, but there's nothing like Wrigley. My friend back home is a Giants season ticket holder and he said Wrigley makes everything else look silly (I don't know if he's been to Fenway :dunno:
perhaps Wrigley Field is considered the most unique ballpark in MLB (better than Green Monster and Yankees Stadium) but I am not sure if it is the most legendary sports venue in America??? MSG, Indy Speedway, LA Coliseum, Michigan Stadium, Augusta or Cameron Indoor Stadium are also legendary and wonderful sports venues.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #161 on: April 19, 2008, 10:44:39 PM »
Actually, the SF Giants got me into baseball.  I was a fan when they had Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, and Juan Marichal.  Those were my 3 favorite players (and at that time we didn't have a pro baseball team in the Dallas area.  We had the DFW Spurs minor league team).  So I haven't always rooted for the 'home teams'...  But I'll root for the Mavs as long as they are in the playoffs (which, at this rate, won't be long) :mad1:

Me too!

I actually got to see McCovey play several times in the '70s. The place (what few fans they drew then) went nuts everytime he came to the plate.

Wow...what a small world! :thumbs-up:

Dallas, where were you in the '70s. We could have watch Willie and the Giants, listened to Earth, Wind and Fire and I could have corrupted you with my Serpentine Fire  :Devil:

:rofl_2:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #162 on: April 19, 2008, 10:55:29 PM »

The Cubs are extremely popular. Even outside of Chicago. They are popular for the same reason as the Atlanta Braves. Before the recent Cable TV advances, back in the '80s and early '90s the Braves were seen on WTBS, and the Cubs were seen on WGN all over the country.  So many areas that didn't have a local team took the Cubs or Braves as their favorites. Plus the Cubs have the same Lovable Loser image that the Brooklyn Dodgers used to have. Now that the Red Sox have broken their World Series Jinx, the Cubs are now on the clock as the most frustrated team, having not won a World Series since 1908, or something like that.

Well conchita banana, when your world travels bring you the the City of Broad Shoulders, give me a shout. I live right near Wrigley (tough ticket, though  lol) Not a Cub fan at all, but there's nothing like Wrigley. My friend back home is a Giants season ticket holder and he said Wrigley makes everything else look silly (I don't know if he's been to Fenway :dunno:
perhaps Wrigley Field is considered the most unique ballpark in MLB (better than Green Monster and Yankees Stadium) but I am not sure if it is the most legendary sports venue in America??? MSG, Indy Speedway, LA Coliseum, Michigan Stadium, Augusta or Cameron Indoor Stadium are also legendary and wonderful sports venues.

I don't know about best, but Fenway is definitely the oldest active park in baseball (built in 1912 vs Wrigley, 1914). When the current owners bought the team they beat out the (now) owner of the Dodgers, Frank McCourt who is from the Boston area. He owned some beach front property that was targeted as the future home of the new Fenway Park. There was a lot of momentum for building a new park at that time, and having been to Fenway a couple times, I agreed. Some of the most uncomfortable seats I've ever tried to sit in. But when John Henry and his group got the team, they "did a study" and found it was not possible to fund a new park so they focused on sprucing up the current one. They have made a huge difference, and everything they have done has been an improvement, save raising ticket prices. So maybe Fenway will be around for another hundred years or so.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #163 on: April 19, 2008, 11:14:55 PM »
One of 2 votes against the move of the Supersonics to to Oklahoma City was Mark Cuban. So he gets two pieces of bad news. He looses this game, and he gets a rival team 2 hours from Dallas. ..-)
the other vote can be Memphis also, it's so sad to lose the sonics, it's the first traditional franchise that I will see moving. :(

I rooted for the Mets til Glavine collapse in last game of regular season ended a dramatic downfall.
(dont like the yanquees and dislike giants and dodgers bc they moved from NY and Brooklyn)

Though I live near Boston, I'm not a Red Sox fan in the normal sense of the word. But I like the way they go about their business. I think they have the right attitude about running a team and playing the game, and I like the mix of players they have. So I guess you can say I'm a fan of this Red Sox team.
As for the teams I'm a fan of, the two you don't like (for what I feel is a strange reason) are the the ones I can say I'm a fan of, the Dogers and Giants. I mean they moved back in the 50's. Why would have a problem with that?
dont know, perhaps there's too much tradition lost with the NY Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers and legendary Polo Grounds and Ebbets Field.
they are the best clubs from the West for sure (add Philadelphia Athletics then Oakland Athletics)
I agree about the Red Sox roster, really strong team and favorites to win World Series again. I like the fact they have a strong rivalry with the Yankees.
are the Cubs popular in America or a laughing stock like the Clippers??? I like Wrigley Field, my fav. ballpark with SF, but all my friends from Chicago are WhiteSox fans.

Dmast, I hope to get to Fenway someday.

conchita, nice list. I've been to many: Wrigley, MSG, Indy, Churhill Downs, Michigan Stadium, Superdome, Rose Bowl, "old" Notre Dame Stadium, Mile High Stadium, Cow Palace... and many more. 

I even played a football game at Kesar Stadium in San Francisco.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #164 on: April 19, 2008, 11:19:18 PM »

Dmast, I hope to get to Fenway someday.

conchita, nice list. I've been to many: Wrigley, MSG, Indy, Churhill Downs, Michigan Stadium, Superdome, Rose Bowl, "old" Notre Dame Stadium, Mile High Stadium, Cow Palace... and many more. 

I even played a football game at Kesar Stadium in San Francisco.

Make sure you loose some weight before you go. Not to say you are fat, but the seats at Fenway are for midgets.

Getting back on topic, the Hornets sting the Rockets in Houston to steal home court advantage.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2008, 08:26:01 AM »

That was one heck of a match between Spurs and Suns yesterday. I thought Suns were supposed to win that one, but credit to Spurs for some incredible plays at unbelievable times.

Duncans first 3 pointer of the season, couldnt come at a better time. This will be an exciting series.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2008, 07:10:53 PM »
Lakers handled the Nuggets in the first game of their playoff season. Should be an easy match up for them as the Nuggets just don't play much defense. There could be some high scoring games in that series.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2008, 08:56:18 PM »
Actually, the SF Giants got me into baseball.  I was a fan when they had Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, and Juan Marichal.  Those were my 3 favorite players (and at that time we didn't have a pro baseball team in the Dallas area.  We had the DFW Spurs minor league team).  So I haven't always rooted for the 'home teams'...  But I'll root for the Mavs as long as they are in the playoffs (which, at this rate, won't be long) :mad1:

Me too!

I actually got to see McCovey play several times in the '70s. The place (what few fans they drew then) went nuts everytime he came to the plate.

Wow...what a small world! :thumbs-up:

Dallas, where were you in the '70s. We could have watch Willie and the Giants, listened to Earth, Wind and Fire and I could have corrupted you with my Serpentine Fire  :Devil:

:rofl_2:

You are right on that! I was in Dallas from the beginning of the 70s to 1972.  Then I moved to Houston (went to school there) and stayed until 1978 before I moved back to Dallas... but I was a big Giants fan and EWF fan as well!  Had all of their "albums" and they really were albums! :rofl_2:

Offline retro

• Tennis God
« Reply #168 on: April 21, 2008, 10:21:05 AM »
What?
No mention of my Sixers beating Detroit. They are seriously slept on in this thread :)>>>>
I lost the will to live mid way through the first set!
 ~*Supernova*~   from wtaworld.com

Victoria Azarenka d. Kaia Kanepi 7-6(5) 6-3
May 7, 2009

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #169 on: April 21, 2008, 11:39:10 AM »
What?
No mention of my Sixers beating Detroit. They are seriously slept on in this thread :)>>>>

I was going to note it, but I didn't see it so I figured someone who saw it could bring it up.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #170 on: April 22, 2008, 09:27:46 PM »
Well I see that my Mavs have taken up where they left off last year... :\ :\ :whistle: :whistle:

Offline retro

• Tennis God
« Reply #171 on: April 22, 2008, 10:02:55 PM »
Well I see that my Mavs have taken up where they left off last year... :\ :\ :whistle: :whistle:
When your best player is softer than a pillow, stuff like that happens. :whistle:

May 7, 2009

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2008, 03:00:24 PM »
When your best player is softer than a pillow, stuff like that happens. :whistle:

Well... until things happen differently, I can't disagree with you. :(

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #173 on: April 25, 2008, 03:27:47 PM »
I saw that the Lakers are 2-0 up in their Series and seem to be looking strong right now for a possible run to the Finals. I've not really followed much this year so who are you guys going with to maybe make this years NBA Finals?
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #174 on: April 25, 2008, 07:30:05 PM »
I saw that the Lakers are 2-0 up in their Series and seem to be looking strong right now for a possible run to the Finals. I've not really followed much this year so who are you guys going with to maybe make this years NBA Finals?

Well I don't like Dallas' chances right now... :\

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #175 on: April 25, 2008, 08:02:32 PM »

Well I don't like Dallas' chances right now... :\

I don't give Dallas much chance. This is going to be a hail of a playoff.  :gleam:

Offline retro

• Tennis God
« Reply #176 on: April 25, 2008, 08:29:20 PM »
What?

I was going to note it, but I didn't see it so I figured someone who saw it could bring it up.
I hope you guys are noting my Sixers blowing the Pistons out tonight :whistle:

May 7, 2009

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #177 on: April 25, 2008, 10:30:21 PM »
What?

I hope you guys are noting my Sixers blowing the Pistons out tonight :whistle:

I hope you guys saw that my Mavs won at least ONE game in this series! :))

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2008, 01:26:10 AM »
Good to see you got 1 win on the board Dallas, maybe your guys could start a recovery now  :) Lakers playing tonight in game 3 at Denver, last chance saloon for them now- a Lakers win and this series is just about in the book! Philly are doing really well being 2-1 up over the number 2 team in their Conference- that series looks as if it really could go down to the wire! Spurs are looking very strong as usual right now and have their series all but done with the Suns being 3-0 up!
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2008, 10:38:21 AM »
I like the NBA Playoffs but seriously, are we to believe that the reason the home team almost always wins is because they feel more comfortable shooting at home?   ..-)    The foul calls and lack of foul calls are just plain ridiculous in the NBA!   :mad1: