Author Topic: NBA TIME!!!  (Read 68671 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: NBA TIME!!!
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2008, 09:43:57 PM »
I like the NBA Playoffs but seriously, are we to believe that the reason the home team almost always wins is because they feel more comfortable shooting at home?   ..-)    The foul calls and lack of foul calls are just plain ridiculous in the NBA!   :mad1:

I does seem the home team gets some favoritism from the refs.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #181 on: April 26, 2008, 10:05:55 PM »
I like the NBA Playoffs but seriously, are we to believe that the reason the home team almost always wins is because they feel more comfortable shooting at home?   ..-)    The foul calls and lack of foul calls are just plain ridiculous in the NBA!   :mad1:

I does seem the home team gets some favoritism from the refs.

I think that the home crowds give the home team a lift, as well as pressuring the refs into making calls they might not make in a neutral site.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #182 on: April 27, 2008, 02:21:20 AM »
The Lakers moved just a game away from the next stage of the playoffs with a 102-84 win over the Denver Nuggets in Denver to go up 3-0!
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #183 on: April 27, 2008, 02:29:54 AM »
The Lakers moved just a game away from the next stage of the playoffs with a 102-84 win over the Denver Nuggets in Denver to go up 3-0!

Moving towards yet another Lakers/Celtics final (though the Celtics didn't do their part in Atlanta).

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #184 on: April 27, 2008, 04:05:40 AM »

Moving towards yet another Lakers/Celtics final (though the Celtics didn't do their part in Atlanta).

Sounds an interesting matchup that one for sure. How many times roughly have they met in finals? and who do you see coming out on top if they do both get that far?

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2008, 04:12:18 AM »

Sounds an interesting matchup that one for sure. How many times roughly have they met in finals? and who do you see coming out on top if they do both get that far?
it is the best rivalry in nba history!!! I think if the finals are Lakers-Celtics, LA will win!!! :)
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2008, 04:31:35 AM »

it is the best rivalry in nba history!!! I think if the finals are Lakers-Celtics, LA will win!!! :)

Best rivalry in NBA history- that would be a awesome final to have then and a superb way to round off the 07/08 season. Lakers to win it though  :)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2008, 04:39:35 PM »
Well, Chris - like you said - at least we have 1 win.  IF, and that's a big IF the Mavs can win today to tie the series 2-2, who knows what will happen the remainder of the series!

Of course I want my Mavs to win it all - but that's stretching it a bit so... If Dallas doesn't win it; then let the Spurs win it...but let anyone BUT the Lakers win. I don't like the Lakers and Koby!  :\

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #188 on: April 27, 2008, 04:59:09 PM »
Hi Dallas, why do you dislike Kobe?? is he a nice guy with a wonderful personality??  :confused1:
In Spain Lakers are always on TV because of Pau Gasol.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2008, 05:31:42 PM »
Hi Dallas, why do you dislike Kobe?? is he a nice guy with a wonderful personality??  :confused1:

Kobe Bryant has been a lighting rod for both fans, and detractors alike. He's a great talent, and at times comes across as a reasonable person. But, like A-Rod in baseball, he seems to have some kind of talent for pissing people off. 
People in LA blamed him for not getting along with Shaq after winning 3 championships. It seemed as if he was saying keep me or keep Shaq, and I won't play for Phil Jackson anymore. So off went Shaq, and off went Phil Jackson. The infrence was that they were run out by Kobe. There was only one ball, and it was Kobe Byrant's. He was going to be the scorer, and the focal point of the team.
Then there was the rape incident in Colorado, followed by some pretty bad seasons, followed by Kobe saying something like, this (Laker) team sucks, I want to play for a better team, and better coaches. Get better players, especially a better center, or trade me. This after running both Shaq and Phil Jackson out of town.
This is all pretty much assumtion and heresay, but most of it has legs. It all makes him out to be a superstar who doesn't really know what he wants. Does he want the superstar image and all the trappings, or does he want to win? In the end it seems this season he has settled on winning as being the most important thing, and has been a great player, and a good soldier. But over the last 5 years he's done and said some pretty questionable things.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2008, 05:40:23 PM »

Kobe Bryant has been a lighting rod for both fans, and detractors alike. He's a great talent, and at times comes across as a reasonable person. But, like A-Rod in baseball, he seems to have some kind of talent for pissing people off. 
People in LA blamed him for not getting along with Shaq after winning 3 championships. It seemed as if he was saying keep me or keep Shaq, and I won't play for Phil Jackson anymore. So off went Shaq, and off went Phil Jackson. The infrence was that they were run out by Kobe. There was only one ball, and it was Kobe Byrant's. He was going to be the scorer, and the focal point of the team.
Then there was the rape incident in Colorado, followed by some pretty bad seasons, followed by Kobe saying something like, this (Laker) team sucks, I want to play for a better team, and better coaches. Get better players, especially a better center, or trade me. This after running both Shaq and Phil Jackson out of town.
This is all pretty much assumtion and heresay, but most of it has legs. It all makes him out to be a superstar who doesn't really know what he wants. Does he want the superstar image and all the trappings, or does he want to win? In the end it seems this season he has settled on winning as being the most important thing, and has been a great player, and a good soldier. But over the last 5 years he's done and said some pretty questionable things.

Well...there you go... :rofl_2:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #191 on: April 27, 2008, 11:31:03 PM »

You're just bitter because he didn't buy you a diamond ring.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2008, 11:49:47 PM »

You're just bitter because he didn't buy you a diamond ring.

Your darn right! Not even a small piece of junk. I mean $4 million for a ring for his wife and nothing for me! :cursing:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #193 on: April 28, 2008, 12:33:23 AM »
Everything that Dmas said in that post I have heard and read over here as well in the past years. It was so unfortunate for the Lakers to see Shaq and Phil Jackson very much sqeezed out of the LA franchise- that was for sure on of Kobe's darkest moments. However, this season he's been a really leader, star and team man and its not a coincidence that the season he goes back to how he once was the Lakers are very much a huge factor in the NBA playoffs.

Dallas- its time for you to start wishing for a miracle now as your Mavs have slipped to 1-3 with the Hornets after a 13 point defeat last night. Seems it may only be 1 game you get afterall  :(

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #194 on: April 28, 2008, 06:42:53 PM »
Everything that Dmas said in that post I have heard and read over here as well in the past years. It was so unfortunate for the Lakers to see Shaq and Phil Jackson very much sqeezed out of the LA franchise- that was for sure on of Kobe's darkest moments. However, this season he's been a really leader, star and team man and its not a coincidence that the season he goes back to how he once was the Lakers are very much a huge factor in the NBA playoffs.

Dallas- its time for you to start wishing for a miracle now as your Mavs have slipped to 1-3 with the Hornets after a 13 point defeat last night. Seems it may only be 1 game you get afterall  :(

I don't have any hopes for those Mavs!!!!! :mad1:  Last year should have been their year.  They just 'survived' this year to make the playoffs.  With the kind of ball they are playing now - they don't deserve to move forward in the playoffs. :)>>>>

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #195 on: April 28, 2008, 06:53:52 PM »

I don't have any hopes for those Mavs!!!!! :mad1:  Last year should have been their year.  They just 'survived' this year to make the playoffs.  With the kind of ball they are playing now - they don't deserve to move forward in the playoffs. :)>>>>

You're starting to sound like Herc!  :rofl_2:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #196 on: April 28, 2008, 07:42:08 PM »

You're starting to sound like Herc!  :rofl_2:

Well I'm in good company then! :rofl_2:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #197 on: April 28, 2008, 08:10:18 PM »
I like the NBA Playoffs but seriously, are we to believe that the reason the home team almost always wins is because they feel more comfortable shooting at home?   ..-)    The foul calls and lack of foul calls are just plain ridiculous in the NBA!   :mad1:

Who you crappin'?

Ever look at the home-and-home box scores of Big 10 hoops. I did for years until I finally got too  :sick:  and just tuned the whole thing out. It's not just a Big 10 or NBA phenomenon--it's inherent in the game.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #198 on: April 28, 2008, 08:37:30 PM »
I like the NBA Playoffs but seriously, are we to believe that the reason the home team almost always wins is because they feel more comfortable shooting at home?   ..-)    The foul calls and lack of foul calls are just plain ridiculous in the NBA!   :mad1:

Who you crappin'?

Ever look at the home-and-home box scores of Big 10 hoops. I did for years until I finally got too  :sick:  and just tuned the whole thing out. It's not just a Big 10 or NBA phenomenon--it's inherent in the game.

That's because many of the fouls called are pretty subjective. They can be called either way. Is it a charging, or blocking? Is it a flop, or a foul? On just about every shot that is missed, a foul can be called on someone during the reboud. I think the crowd has a lot of influence on many of those iffy calls.

An ambition fulfilled

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #199 on: April 28, 2008, 08:50:53 PM »

Who you crappin'?

That's because many of the fouls called are pretty subjective. They can be called either way. Is it a charging, or blocking? Is it a flop, or a foul? On just about every shot that is missed, a foul can be called on someone during the reboud. I think the crowd has a lot of influence on many of those iffy calls.

What I object to is not subjective. It's borne out in the box score year after year.

Illinois is a perimeter team and Purdue is a paint team; you'd expect to see the paint team at the line more than the perimeter team. Buts here's what you learn from the box score.

@Illinois  PU  8-14  FT; UI  16-21
@Purdue PU  21-28 FT; UI  6-9 FT

That's what made me  :sick:  walk