Author Topic: NBA TIME!!!  (Read 65332 times)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Re: NBA TIME!!!
« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2008, 06:34:53 PM »
Sonics Oklahoma move approved :(
(is that true?? is a franchise with 41 years in Seattle relocating?? (NBA champions in 79 and finalists in 78 and 96, horrible and sad move)

The Seattle SuperSonics' planned move to Oklahoma City has been approved by the NBA's board of governors.
The NBA said it would approve the switch for next season but the move depended on resolution of a legal wrangle between the Sonics and the city of Seattle.
"The support for the NBA demonstrated by the fans, government leaders and business community of Oklahoma City over the last three years has been extraordinary," said NBA commissioner David Stern.
"The Board of Governors is confident that that level of local support will result in success for the Sonics franchise in Oklahoma."

The city of Seattle has been trying to force the Sonics to see out the two years remaining on their lease at the KeyArena while the franchise has been attempting to buy out the lease.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Online Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #141 on: April 19, 2008, 06:46:12 PM »
Well my #1 team, of course, is the Dallas Mavs; #2 is San Antonio...#3 is... I don't have one but I guess I have to still stay with the Texas team so Houston.

Conchita, there is talk that Seattle will now become Oklahoma.  Oh well... :)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #142 on: April 19, 2008, 06:54:51 PM »
so I guess you also like the Cowboys, Rangers and Stars and
perhaps the Texans!!!  :)

Rockets and Spurs were NBA champions in the past, Mavs not yet. in fact Nowitzki MVP was an embarrassment last season -lost 1st Round playoffs to Warriors.
Mavs playing vs Hornets atm...
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2008, 06:58:15 PM »
(is that true?? is a franchise with 41 years in Seattle relocating?? (NBA champions in 79 and finalists in 78 and 96, horrible and sad move)

The Seattle SuperSonics' planned move to Oklahoma City has been approved by the NBA's board of governors.
The NBA said it would approve the switch for next season but the move depended on resolution of a legal wrangle between the Sonics and the city of Seattle.
"The support for the NBA demonstrated by the fans, government leaders and business community of Oklahoma City over the last three years has been extraordinary," said NBA commissioner David Stern.
"The Board of Governors is confident that that level of local support will result in success for the Sonics franchise in Oklahoma."

The city of Seattle has been trying to force the Sonics to see out the two years remaining on their lease at the KeyArena while the franchise has been attempting to buy out the lease.

Yeah, that would suck since I'm a Pacific Division guy. I'd hate to see the west coast split like that. Key Areana can't be old :dunno:  Maybe it is and they are using OKC as a tool to gouge the city of Seattle. For a northwest ownership, I can't see the lure of OKC--it's not like they're moving the franchise from a Third World County... :dunno:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #144 on: April 19, 2008, 07:18:26 PM »

Yeah, that would suck since I'm a Pacific Division guy. I'd hate to see the west coast split like that. Key Areana can't be old :dunno:  Maybe it is and they are using OKC as a tool to gouge the city of Seattle. For a northwest ownership, I can't see the lure of OKC--it's not like they're moving the franchise from a Third World County... :dunno:
the only history of pro-sports in OKC was in.....never!!! Sonics were in Seattle more than 40 years!!!
I agree about Pacific Division, simply the best!!! perhaps Blazers are coming back to Pacific and OKC or Memphis will play in northwest.
there's also a lot of talk about a team in Nevada, Las Vegas and I dont know if my Nets will move to Brooklyn for sure, hope they will stay 4ever in NJ.

Online Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2008, 07:27:03 PM »
so I guess you also like the Cowboys, Rangers and Stars and
perhaps the Texans!!!  :)

Rockets and Spurs were NBA champions in the past, Mavs not yet. in fact Nowitzki MVP was an embarrassment last season -lost 1st Round playoffs to Warriors.
Mavs playing vs Hornets atm...

Of course! :))

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2008, 08:48:09 PM »
Unfortunately, Dallas, your Mavs went down hard to New Orleans.
One of 2 votes against the move of the Supersonics to to Oklahoma City was Mark Cuban. So he gets two pieces of bad news. He looses this game, and he gets a rival team 2 hours from Dallas. ..-)

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2008, 09:07:12 PM »
One of 2 votes against the move of the Supersonics to to Oklahoma City was Mark Cuban. So he gets two pieces of bad news. He looses this game, and he gets a rival team 2 hours from Dallas. ..-)
the other vote can be Memphis also, it's so sad to lose the sonics, it's the first traditional franchise that I will see moving. :(
are the Nets moving to Brooklyn for sure???

Off topic, can somebody tell me a great mlb franchise to root for please??
I rooted for the Mets til Glavine collapse in last game of regular season ended a dramatic downfall.
I like old ballparks, Wrigley and Fenway Park.
(dont like the yanquees and dislike giants and dodgers bc they moved from NY and Brooklyn)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 09:11:39 PM by conchita »

Online Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2008, 09:11:09 PM »

Oh well... The Mavs played so well in the first half.  Too bad they couldn't keep it up!  So if they move to Oklahoma, are they still going to be in the Pacific Division?

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2008, 09:13:11 PM »

Oh well... The Mavs played so well in the first half.  Too bad they couldn't keep it up!  So if they move to Oklahoma, are they still going to be in the Pacific Division?
the right move will be to bring back the Blazers to the Pacific Division. Great Lakers vs Blazers rivalry!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #150 on: April 19, 2008, 09:28:45 PM »
the other vote can be Memphis also, it's so sad to lose the sonics, it's the first traditional franchise that I will see moving. :(

I rooted for the Mets til Glavine collapse in last game of regular season ended a dramatic downfall.
(dont like the yanquees and dislike giants and dodgers bc they moved from NY and Brooklyn)

Though I live near Boston, I'm not a Red Sox fan in the normal sense of the word. But I like the way they go about their business. I think they have the right attitude about running a team and playing the game, and I like the mix of players they have. So I guess you can say I'm a fan of this Red Sox team.
As for the teams I'm a fan of, the two you don't like (for what I feel is a strange reason) are the the ones I can say I'm a fan of, the Dogers and Giants. I mean they moved back in the 50's. Why would have a problem with that?

An ambition fulfilled

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #151 on: April 19, 2008, 09:33:02 PM »

Who you crappin'?

Mets fans root for the Mets. What is this?   ;-()
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Online Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #152 on: April 19, 2008, 09:46:06 PM »
Actually, the SF Giants got me into baseball.  I was a fan when they had Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, and Juan Marichal.  Those were my 3 favorite players (and at that time we didn't have a pro baseball team in the Dallas area.  We had the DFW Spurs minor league team).  So I haven't always rooted for the 'home teams'...  But I'll root for the Mavs as long as they are in the playoffs (which, at this rate, won't be long) :mad1:

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #153 on: April 19, 2008, 10:02:54 PM »

Though I live near Boston, I'm not a Red Sox fan in the normal sense of the word. But I like the way they go about their business. I think they have the right attitude about running a team and playing the game, and I like the mix of players they have. So I guess you can say I'm a fan of this Red Sox team.
As for the teams I'm a fan of, the two you don't like (for what I feel is a strange reason) are the the ones I can say I'm a fan of, the Dogers and Giants. I mean they moved back in the 50's. Why would have a problem with that?
dont know, perhaps there's too much tradition lost with the NY Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers and legendary Polo Grounds and Ebbets Field.
they are the best franchises from the West for sure (add Philadelphia Athletics then Oakland Athletics)
I agree about the Red Sox roster, really strong team and favorites to win World Series again. I like the fact they have a strong rivalry with the Yankees.
are the Cubs popular in America or a laughing stock like the Clippers??? I like Wrigley Field, my fav. ballpark with SF, but all my friends from Chicago are WhiteSox fans.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:07:32 PM by conchita »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #154 on: April 19, 2008, 10:06:55 PM »

Who you crappin'?

Mets fans root for the Mets. What is this?   ;-()

Mets, Jets and Nets and
also Devils -lost all 3 playoffs games at new arena against Rivals Rags and were eliminated  :(

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #155 on: April 19, 2008, 10:08:57 PM »

dont know, perhaps there's too much tradition lost with the NY Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers and legendary Polo Grounds and Ebbets Field.
they are the best clubs from the West for sure (add Philadelphia Athletics then Oakland Athletics)
I agree about the Red Sox roster, really strong team and favorites to win World Series again. I like the fact they have a strong rivalry with the Yankees.
are the Cubs popular in America or a laughing stock like the Clippers??? I like Wrigley Field, my fav. ballpark with SF, but all my friends from Chicago are WhiteSox fans.

The Cubs are extremely popular. Even outside of Chicago. They are popular for the same reason as the Atlanta Braves. Before the recent Cable TV advances, back in the '80s and early '90s the Braves were seen on WTBS, and the Cubs were seen on WGN all over the country.  So many areas that didn't have a local team took the Cubs or Braves as their favorites. Plus the Cubs have the same Lovable Loser image that the Brooklyn Dodgers used to have. Now that the Red Sox have broken their World Series Jinx, the Cubs are now on the clock as the most frustrated team, having not won a World Series since 1908, or something like that.

An ambition fulfilled

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #156 on: April 19, 2008, 10:12:17 PM »
Actually, the SF Giants got me into baseball.  I was a fan when they had Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, and Juan Marichal.  Those were my 3 favorite players (and at that time we didn't have a pro baseball team in the Dallas area.  We had the DFW Spurs minor league team).  So I haven't always rooted for the 'home teams'...  But I'll root for the Mavs as long as they are in the playoffs (which, at this rate, won't be long) :mad1:

Me too!

I actually got to see McCovey play several times in the '70s. The place (what few fans they drew then) went nuts everytime he came to the plate.

Online Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #157 on: April 19, 2008, 10:18:38 PM »

Me too!

I actually got to see McCovey play several times in the '70s. The place (what few fans they drew then) went nuts everytime he came to the plate.

Wow...what a small world! :thumbs-up:

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #158 on: April 19, 2008, 10:24:20 PM »

they are the best clubs from the West for sure (add Philadelphia Athletics then Oakland Athletics)

The Cubs are extremely popular. Even outside of Chicago. They are popular for the same reason as the Atlanta Braves. Before the recent Cable TV advances, back in the '80s and early '90s the Braves were seen on WTBS, and the Cubs were seen on WGN all over the country.  So many areas that didn't have a local team took the Cubs or Braves as their favorites. Plus the Cubs have the same Lovable Loser image that the Brooklyn Dodgers used to have. Now that the Red Sox have broken their World Series Jinx, the Cubs are now on the clock as the most frustrated team, having not won a World Series since 1908, or something like that.
then I will root for BoSox in AL and Cubs & Dodgers in NL.  Dodgers were close to make playoffs last season and I like a lot the ballpark at Chavez Ravine. both franchises can win their division and the Giants have a bad roster but the ballpark adjacent to the sea is amazing.  All 3, legendary franchises!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #159 on: April 19, 2008, 10:29:46 PM »

Well conchita banana, when your world travels bring you the the City of Broad Shoulders, give me a shout. I live right near Wrigley (tough ticket, though  lol) Not a Cub fan at all, but there's nothing like Wrigley. My friend back home is a Giants season ticket holder and he said Wrigley makes everything else look silly (I don't know if he's been to Fenway :dunno: