Author Topic: Hey everyone ;)  (Read 3850 times)

Offline dareliss

• Tennis Player
Hey everyone ;)
« on: November 03, 2007, 10:30:34 PM »
Hey everyone, My name is Darius I'm new user like you can see first post  :thumbs-up: I have really big question porbably which was asked a lot of times,  :coffee: I want to start playing tennis,  :gleam: I'm 16, and I only play times to time couple times a month,  :scared: because I play soccer Division 1  :cheer: , but i want to change to tennis, and try to be tennis player, is it not to late to start at this age?  :hell-no: Do i still have some chances? were you in situation I'm? and then did you guys started playing tennis? well and local guy rated me 2.5 i don't have idea what does what does what score mean probably sucks  :rofl_2: so i wanna bring it up higher  :innocent: what else about me, well I have bunch of hobbies, surfing playing paintball for fun, and all other crazy things ;) I'm from Florida, Saint Petersburg, so if any of you is from saint pete just tell me we can meet, and try to play tennis  :spot on: I listen to all kind of music, but specially rock, and (techno)  :Confused: I'm huge Tampabay Bucks Fan GO BUCKS, any of you bucks fan? , and Manchester United, my dream team were i wanna play  :rofl_2: and I'm from Europe Lithuania, college student.... And NICE TOO MEET YOU ALL  :)>>>> what else I don't know just ask  :whistle: Thank you very much for help. Darius. :drunk:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 10:31:13 PM by dareliss »

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Re: Hey everyone ;)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 11:41:16 PM »
First welcome to T4Y.
As to your question, it really depends on what you want to get out of tennis. If you want to play professional tennis, I would say it's too late. Most pros get their start in tennis much earlier than 16.
But it's never too late to pick up a racquet and start playing. There is no limit to how good you can get no matter when you start. You still get something out of tennis. The enjoyment of playing, the exercise and meeting good people like many on this board.
Out of curiosity, where are you from? Your sentence construction seems very Spanish or something.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline dareliss

• Tennis Player
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 12:49:49 AM »
Well I don't want to be Pro I just want to play it for fun, and in some tournaments. No I'm not Spanish I'm Lithuanian, whats were i learned English so it's little different from American. So what level you play?  Thanks for reply :)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 01:07:35 AM »
Well I don't want to be Pro I just want to play it for fun, and in some tournaments. No I'm not Spanish I'm Lithuanian, whats were i learned English so it's little different from American. So what level you play?  Thanks for reply :)

Right now, I'd have to say I'm a good 4.0. I've been rated higher, but don't play enough to maintain a high level.
As I said it's never too late to start. I started in '84 and was rated 5.0 in '95.
The best thing for you is lessons. Whatever you can afford. If you can't afford once a week, once a month, or once a year. But if you start out with good form and good habits you will get better faster and be better for it.
I basically taught myself and it took longer to learn because of it. It takes a long time to break bad habits, and learning a couple of those can really set you back. So, going to a coach will give you a good foundation from which to build on.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 01:11:21 AM »
One other thing, there's a journal section of the website. There you can start a journal and we can all track your progress. You can ask questions and get some help as well.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 01:30:39 AM »
Hi and welcome :))

I'm a real stickler for technique so I agree with Dmas, finding a good coach is essential in the beggining stages if you want progress effeciently. Coaches can be on the expensive side but there are some who do offer discounts for teens, there are also semi-private lessons, group lessons and half hour lessons which can be cheaper. Since you are 16 I was going to advise you to hop on your high schools team and that way you'd get lessons for free but you mentioned you were in college, which is impressive for 16 by the way. And no it is never to late to start tennis and there are tournaments and leagues at every level. Good luck. :))
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 03:10:02 AM »
Welcome to the forums! If you've got a good eye for a ball, which you obviously do if you play high level football, you should be able to get going quite well, but a coach is essential, as often as you can. Good luck!

And yes, there is a Bucks fan on here. He's imaginatively called himself OSU Buckeye.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 07:14:46 AM »
Welcome dareliss!!!  Glad you found us at the new forums.  :)

I have met players who didn't start until 35+ years old and they were darn good players.  Don;t let age ever be the reason to keep you from the sport, and you are young, so I so jump on in head first and have at it!!!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 07:33:38 AM »
Welcome to the forums! If you've got a good eye for a ball, which you obviously do if you play high level football, you should be able to get going quite well, but a coach is essential, as often as you can. Good luck!

And yes, there is a Bucks fan on here. He's imaginatively called himself OSU Buckeye.

Just in case this isn't sarcasm Kicker, the Tampa Bay Bucks are Buccaneers (or pirates for a more common term), while a Buckeye is just a very hard nut that's native to Ohio.  ;-()

An ambition fulfilled

Offline dareliss

• Tennis Player
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 07:43:10 PM »
hey thanks for replies guys :) nice to have have what many friendly people on forum :) well I found local team, so I will start having practices three times a week, cause i can't have full time practices, because of soccer season is ain't over yet. The coach played for hes life, so i think he will learn me a lot, and they didn't charge anything so hurey :) well I thought same thing if I only was going to high school not to college, I would go play for jv team :) I will open my journal section in couple days to keep you updated how I'm doing, and thanks for advices, I don't know what would I've done without this forum :) so if you have some other advices, just post them, and can't wait too meet bucks fan, we should open topic about bucs in sports section, I can keep info updated  :confused1: Thanks Darius :)

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 09:52:11 PM »
Good on you Darius, looks like things are working out for you. I'm happy you found a coach especially one that is willing to help you free of charge, maybe he sees some potiential in you, maybe you are better than you think ;-(). Keep us updated and good luck. :))
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 07:38:02 AM »
Welcome here Dareliss.  I am the resident Bucks fan but I am a fan of The Ohio State Buckeyes which you might recognize as a College Football team rather than the professional football team you speak of the Tampa Bay Bucs.  Anyway, I look forward to your posts and journal entries.  Tennis should come quicker for you with your soccer skillz than other less talented people.  Good luck!   :)

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 08:52:15 AM »

Just in case this isn't sarcasm Kicker, the Tampa Bay Bucks are Buccaneers (or pirates for a more common term), while a Buckeye is just a very hard nut that's native to Ohio.  ;-()

It wasn't sarcasm, I only take an interest in real football :whistle:

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 08:54:11 AM »

Not this tired argument again!?   ..-)

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 12:58:45 PM »

Not this tired argument again!?   ..-)

lol, I'll try and let it be.

Offline dareliss

• Tennis Player
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 02:37:44 PM »
Isn't Ohio state ranked as Number 1 in football at this time? So today I will have first tennis practice, but probably it's going to be more like introduction.  :Play Ball: just was curious, why you guys think it's not possible turn pro tennis player if you start playing it late from age 15 too 18, I mean yeah it's one of the hardest world sports they doesn't have what many Pro's like in other sports. I mean if you started late, and you have talent. But still I'm not looking to be pro just question  :) In soccer you can start rally late you still have a lot of chances to find your way up to biggest clubs. And I don't get the rating from 1-7 what does it means? how does rating works? and is anyone on this forum rated 7? sorry for what many question you know I'm NEW  :upside down: Thanks Darius.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 02:47:06 PM »
Isn't Ohio state ranked as Number 1 in football at this time? So today I will have first tennis practice, but probably it's going to be more like introduction.  :Play Ball: just was curious, why you guys think it's not possible turn pro tennis player if you start playing it late from age 15 too 18, I mean yeah it's one of the hardest world sports they doesn't have what many Pro's like in other sports. I mean if you started late, and you have talent. But still I'm not looking to be pro just question  :) In soccer you can start rally late you still have a lot of chances to find your way up to biggest clubs. And I don't get the rating from 1-7 what does it means? how does rating works? and is anyone on this forum rated 7? sorry for what many question you know I'm NEW  :upside down: Thanks Darius.

Yeah OSU is # 1 in the football polls!   :cool:   

1.0 is a beginner and 7.0 is tops in the world.  It goes 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0.................6.0, 6.5, and 7.0.    On this board there is apparently a 5.5 or 6.0 player, we have many 4.5's, and also many others! 

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 03:03:56 PM »
It's not out of the realm of possiblity but it will take a tremendous amount of dedication on your part. Generally it takes 8-10 years of serious training to become a pro player. But the ability must be there. I say don't set your goals so high initially, just focus on slow improvements and have fun with it as you improve start playing tournaments all the way up to 5.5 if they are no longer compeition for you move on to 6.0 and futures tournaments if that becomes less of a challenge move onto challengers and if you do really well there then you can think about joining the tour. But just focus on slow improvements and dedicate yourself to getting better and see where it takes you. We did have a former 7.0 here named Chris Lewis.

Offline dareliss

• Tennis Player
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 03:06:38 PM »
So 7 is like top I mean like rafael nadal, or others? Yeah Ohio state is awesome, can't wait till they play with Usf bulls, we were on top 2 but right know we went down really bad :(

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 03:16:59 PM »
So 7 is like top I mean like rafael nadal, or others? Yeah Ohio state is awesome, can't wait till they play with Usf bulls, we were on top 2 but right know we went down really bad :(

http://www.tennis4you.com/links/rate-yourself/rate-yourself.htm

Here's a link to a guide to the ratings. It's pretty simple stuff. If you've barely started and only play a couple of times a month, yet you're already up to 2.5, that's impressive.