Author Topic: Hey everyone ;)  (Read 3761 times)

Offline dareliss

• Tennis Player
Re: Hey everyone ;)
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 03:22:25 PM »
It's not out of the realm of possiblity but it will take a tremendous amount of dedication on your part. Generally it takes 8-10 years of serious training to become a pro player. But the ability must be there. I say don't set your goals so high initially, just focus on slow improvements and have fun with it as you improve start playing tournaments all the way up to 5.5 if they are no longer compeition for you move on to 6.0 and futures tournaments if that becomes less of a challenge move onto challengers and if you do really well there then you can think about joining the tour. But just focus on slow improvements and dedicate yourself to getting better and see where it takes you. We did have a former 7.0 here named Chris Lewis.

Well I'm not planing to go so high, but what would be nice, what was just question, so if you play for universitie, you play only for scholarship, or you still can become someone after universitie? I'm still looking forward soccer career, and i want to play tennis only as for hobby, and for some competition, but i will see how it goes, if I will reach 5.5 some time what would be really high accomplishment for me. and Chris Lewis, is it the one who was 1983 Wimbledon finalist?
Thanks.

Offline dareliss

• Tennis Player
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2007, 03:25:56 PM »
So 7 is like top I mean like rafael nadal, or others? Yeah Ohio state is awesome, can't wait till they play with Usf bulls, we were on top 2 but right know we went down really bad :(

http://www.tennis4you.com/links/rate-yourself/rate-yourself.htm

Here's a link to a guide to the ratings. It's pretty simple stuff. If you've barely started and only play a couple of times a month, yet you're already up to 2.5, that's impressive.

Right now ill get it, by what 2.5 says, whats what I'm, probably because of soccer.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 04:03:45 PM »
It's not out of the realm of possiblity but it will take a tremendous amount of dedication on your part. Generally it takes 8-10 years of serious training to become a pro player. But the ability must be there. I say don't set your goals so high initially, just focus on slow improvements and have fun with it as you improve start playing tournaments all the way up to 5.5 if they are no longer compeition for you move on to 6.0 and futures tournaments if that becomes less of a challenge move onto challengers and if you do really well there then you can think about joining the tour. But just focus on slow improvements and dedicate yourself to getting better and see where it takes you. We did have a former 7.0 here named Chris Lewis.

I say he's still with us. I am curious if he logs on to see what we are saying now and then.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline dareliss

• Tennis Player
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2007, 06:02:16 PM »

I say he's still with us. I am curious if he logs on to see what we are saying now and then.

What did you mean by that? I just came back from practice, I'm gonna take a shower and get make in 30 minutes ;) just was curious what did you ment.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2007, 06:18:41 PM »

What did you mean by that? I just came back from practice, I'm gonna take a shower and get make in 30 minutes ;) just was curious what did you ment.

We had Chris Lewis who is a former pro player from the mid 80's join us for a few weeks to answer questions and hang out. He just posted in one thread, and hasn't logged on since Oct 25th. So I guess that makes me wrong. ;-()

An ambition fulfilled

Offline dareliss

• Tennis Player
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2007, 08:25:13 PM »

We had Chris Lewis who is a former pro player from the mid 80's join us for a few weeks to answer questions and hang out. He just posted in one thread, and hasn't logged on since Oct 25th. So I guess that makes me wrong. ;-()

Oh ok ;) So like i fought the practice wasn't so hard today more like introduction to everything, but pretty good ;) It would be cool if Chris Lewis could post hear ;)

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2007, 11:14:45 PM »

Oh ok ;) So like i fought the practice wasn't so hard today more like introduction to everything, but pretty good ;) It would be cool if Chris Lewis could post hear ;)

Maybe he will come back and answer more questions. There was also a female 7.0 (Lilia Osterloh) here but I'm not sure if she posted like Chris Lewis did she may have I'm not sure though.
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2007, 11:17:19 PM »

Maybe he will come back and answer more questions. There was also a female 7.0 (Lilia Osterloh) here but I'm not sure if she posted like Chris Lewis did she may have I'm not sure though.

No Oserloh never joined the board. Scooter (our exalted Admin type) got her to accept questions, he started a thread where we could fire away, and he emailed them to her. She answered and emailed the answers back.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline dareliss

• Tennis Player
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2007, 11:24:17 PM »
Can anyone explain me how does university tennis works in USA? and do you have future after it, or is it just for scholarship? I asked before, but none didn't answer me. sorry for asking again.
Thanks.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2007, 11:32:17 PM »
Can anyone explain me how does university tennis works in USA? and do you have future after it, or is it just for scholarship? I asked before, but none didn't answer me. sorry for asking again.
Thanks.

What do you mean by "how university works"? You are looking to find out how to get a university scholarship? The best way to get a scholarship to a college is to be a #1 or #2 player for a high school team, and do well in the tournaments like Ojai and Kalamazoo.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2007, 11:43:07 PM »
Thanks.

By future you mean a possible pro career? If so then yes there have been many who gone from collegiate tennis to pro tennis. As far is getting a tennis scholarship you have to build a tennis resume by playing junior tournaments and getting your junior ranking as high as possible depending on who you want to play for.
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline dareliss

• Tennis Player
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2007, 11:51:16 PM »
Ok now everything is clear  :cool: But if i will have any other questions ill ask :) I was thinking if i will not end up playing soccer for university, ill try to play tennis maybe ill get accepted, I will be playing Junior League soon, right now i'm still practicing.  I would get great expierience playing for university if I will, so who knows what might happen after it...  It's really nice what you guys answer all my questions it helps me a lot :) Thanks, Darius.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2007, 12:11:01 AM »
Feel free to fire away..... :)&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; :))

One thing I would suggest; it sounds like you are getting a late start. Your competition has already been working at it for 10 years already. If you want to make the pro tour that's a pretty tough road, but one way to give yourself a chance is to work on doubles as well as singles. You might have a better chance to make the doubles tour than the singles tour.
There are many players on the tour who play doubles only. The money's not the same, but it's still a pretty good living.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2007, 12:44:49 AM »
Yeah I agree with Dmas, unless you are just amazingly athletic junior tennis is out of the question because you've started so late and would only have another couple years to play juniors. For D1 schools a junior ranking is pretty much a requirement, for D2 and 3 schools I think you have the ability to try out. But they also have intramural tennis on most college campuses as well as tennis clubs where student who play tennis join.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2007, 06:59:11 AM »

Well I'm not planing to go so high, but what would be nice, what was just question, so if you play for universitie, you play only for scholarship, or you still can become someone after universitie? I'm still looking forward soccer career, and i want to play tennis only as for hobby, and for some competition, but i will see how it goes, if I will reach 5.5 some time what would be really high accomplishment for me. and Chris Lewis, is it the one who was 1983 Wimbledon finalist? Thanks.

That is the one!  He was on here and posting among us and answering many of our questions..........actually, he answered all of our questions. 

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2007, 08:24:32 AM »
Yeah I agree with Dmas, unless you are just amazingly athletic junior tennis is out of the question because you've started so late and would only have another couple years to play juniors. For D1 schools a junior ranking is pretty much a requirement, for D2 and 3 schools I think you have the ability to try out. But they also have intramural tennis on most college campuses as well as tennis clubs where student who play tennis join.

Which means you would be paying for your college, and if possible, earning a scholarship for the next year.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2007, 08:29:13 AM »

Well I'm not planing to go so high, but what would be nice, what was just question, so if you play for universitie, you play only for scholarship, or you still can become someone after universitie? I'm still looking forward soccer career, and i want to play tennis only as for hobby, and for some competition, but i will see how it goes, if I will reach 5.5 some time what would be really high accomplishment for me. and Chris Lewis, is it the one who was 1983 Wimbledon finalist? Thanks.

That is the one!  He was on here and posting among us and answering many of our questions..........actually, he answered all of our questions. 

Here's the thread if you want to check it out, interesting stuff:
http://www.tennis4you.com/forum/index.php?topic=7803.0

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Chris Lewis

• Tennis Enthusiast
    • Tennis-Experts
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2007, 10:54:01 PM »

... It would be cool if Chris Lewis could post hear ;)

Hi Dareliss,

My apologies for being a little late.  But welcome to the forum. If you love tennis, you'll be in good company here at Tennis4You. You'll also learn a lot about the game.

Tennis-Experts
Great Equipment - Great Prices
http://www.tennis-experts.com