Author Topic: Andy Roddick  (Read 5594 times)

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!
Re: Andy Roddick
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2007, 06:51:07 PM »
I don't believe Andy is disingeneous at all. I think he tells things as he sees them and takes hits honestly when he hasn't played well.

We had a mall opening in Austin where Andy attended opening ceremonies and did a talk, etc. He was amazingly friendly and happy and signed autographs until his hands had to have been cramping.

Sometimes, I think one is a fan of a player because of who they are as well as what they can accomplish on the court.  That's true of many Fed fans who praise his demeanor of court, etc.; if he were a jerk he'd have fewer fans.  Many Andy fans like his play but they simply like Andy, the person. Much of being a fan is not necessarily based on a forehand or ranking, you just believe in a person and wish them the best.

Being a fan of anyone but Fed is a big job... anyone from Rafa on down the list can be destroyed by tennis technicians, but they all have fans for reasons only known to them. Bravo!

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2007, 09:46:14 PM »
I don't believe Andy is disingeneous at all. I think he tells things as he sees them and takes hits honestly when he hasn't played well.

We had a mall opening in Austin where Andy attended opening ceremonies and did a talk, etc. He was amazingly friendly and happy and signed autographs until his hands had to have been cramping.

Sometimes, I think one is a fan of a player because of who they are as well as what they can accomplish on the court.  That's true of many Fed fans who praise his demeanor of court, etc.; if he were a jerk he'd have fewer fans.  Many Andy fans like his play but they simply like Andy, the person. Much of being a fan is not necessarily based on a forehand or ranking, you just believe in a person and wish them the best.

Being a fan of anyone but Fed is a big job... anyone from Rafa on down the list can be destroyed by tennis technicians, but they all have fans for reasons only known to them. Bravo!

Good point!! In that sense you can say I am a fan of Roddick. And I am a fan of Roddick, just not his game. I think he's good for the game and really wish he could play better tennis - or maybe even a little different tennis than what he does now but I still like him.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2007, 12:55:30 AM »
Well, I for one will not be sorry when he eventually goes away, as he must. I don't like his tennis game, I don't like his on-court manners and find his off-court interviews disingenuous. I will concede that he has done very well with a limited talent and currently deserves his place in the top ten but it is still not the sort of tennis I want to watch.

in that article he says that he is not running or anything. i am sorry but that is what most are saying. they are saying that he is running. he sort of indirrectly tells you that he is running. he ran from madrid and he ran from paris. its time to get into the mis and take your best shot. you just never know with that monsterous serve. and roger just might have an off day and next thing you know you have that monkey off your back and you are no longer scared.

he was very unhappy about drawing federer in his 1/2 at wimby and he was mad as hell for drawing him again at the u.s. open only this time he was to meet him in the quarters.

once again, i have my right to be critical and call it like i see it. and if i am willing to do that to may favorite players, it shows that i am trying to be objective. there is no malicious intent to rip him in any way.

i am hearing a lot of talk from roddick but i am not seeing the results. he just needs to quit worrying about how good federer is and just try to get his rankings up or he will meet people like federer, djokovic, nadal, and even ferru in the quarters.

this is the guy who boasted about needing to practice no more than 1/2 hour a day and living a charmed life before he hired connors. everybody likes roddick but he has to put in the hard yards. that forehand really was more lethal a while back and he was moving better. he needs to keep challenging the best and see what happens.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2007, 06:37:07 AM »

Guess you're right, but Andy does mostly tell people what they want to hear (most of us do   :( )
I can well believe he's more palatable as a personality off-court than on-court but in my case it's the on-court stuff that I decidedly don't like.

Offline Fedsuperfan

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2007, 07:09:59 AM »
I also can't stand Roddick on court manner. Roddick and "prior marriage" Hewitt are the two most obnoxious players on court. Having said that I still prefer "PM" Hewitt compared to Roddick because at least Hewitt did not try to sugar-glaze his interviews. just my opinion.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2007, 07:14:59 AM »

Great post Yellow!   :) :cool: :king:

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2007, 10:03:54 AM »
Well, I for one will not be sorry when he eventually goes away, as he must. I don't like his tennis game, I don't like his on-court manners and find his off-court interviews disingenuous. I will concede that he has done very well with a limited talent and currently deserves his place in the top ten but it is still not the sort of tennis I want to watch.

in that article he says that he is not running or anything. i am sorry but that is what most are saying. they are saying that he is running. he sort of indirrectly tells you that he is running. he ran from madrid and he ran from paris. its time to get into the mis and take your best shot. you just never know with that monsterous serve. and roger just might have an off day and next thing you know you have that monkey off your back and you are no longer scared.

he was very unhappy about drawing federer in his 1/2 at wimby and he was mad as hell for drawing him again at the u.s. open only this time he was to meet him in the quarters.
once again, i have my right to be critical and call it like i see it. and if i am willing to do that to may favorite players, it shows that i am trying to be objective. there is no malicious intent to rip him in any way.

i am hearing a lot of talk from roddick but i am not seeing the results. he just needs to quit worrying about how good federer is and just try to get his rankings up or he will meet people like federer, djokovic, nadal, and even ferru in the quarters.

this is the guy who boasted about needing to practice no more than 1/2 hour a day and living a charmed life before he hired connors. everybody likes roddick but he has to put in the hard yards. that forehand really was more lethal a while back and he was moving better. he needs to keep challenging the best and see what happens.

Who is happy to draw Federer? Are there players out there who say, "I love playing Federer. It just makes my day to know I'm drawn to play him again." If Andy had sad, "I'm happy to play Roger again. it's just so fun. It's either gonna be that I'm embarrassingly close to beating or he's gonna destroy me like I'm a junior." If andy had said that, I would have thought he was high on drugs and would have planned an intervention.  ..-)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2007, 10:22:24 AM »

Who is happy to draw Federer? Are there players out there who say, "I love playing Federer. It just makes my day to know I'm drawn to play him again." If Andy had sad, "I'm happy to play Roger again. it's just so fun. It's either gonna be that I'm embarrassingly close to beating or he's gonna destroy me like I'm a junior." If andy had said that, I would have thought he was high on drugs and would have planned an intervention.  ..-)

ah but they dont cry, weep, and whine in public about it.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2007, 11:33:52 AM »

ah but they dont cry, weep, and whine in public about it.

Q: What was your reaction to the draw, possible matchup with Federer in the quarters?
Andy: I have to get there first before it becomes relevent to me.

Q: Is there a difference to plating him the quarters and playing him in the final?
Andy: I've never played him the quarters.

Those are just two questions I've read from Andy's press conferences during the USO that sounded remotely negative. That doesn't sound like crying, weeping, and whining to me.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2008, 08:14:55 PM »
Just bumping this thread because I called Ferrer out a year ago. :)~

it wasnt fed who ran him off the court at indian wells. fed was no where near when dancevic beat him in a final of hard court tournament. ferru took him out in cincy and not federer. aging 35 year old shrimp by the name of santoro took him out in lyons, france not fed. he was not in the tournament.

who is he kidding anyway? secondly, he has been running. he ran from madrid, basel, and paris. 2 of these events are supposed to be required.

federer is just an excuse. he has failed to improve his game and while some of the others are catching up. now he has not just fed but a numbers of other players to worry about.

i hate to say it but roddick is making excuses. mahut had a match point against him in queens and should have won. he had no business losing to gasquet at wimby aftr being up by 2 sets to love.

if he cant win small tournaments with no fed around, how does he ever hope to win a slam. the short answer is that he does not expect to ever win another slam. i think he will drop out of top 10 in a few months.

If this isn't bashing, then show me when you criticize players.  ..-)

BTW, Dancevic beat Andy in the semis and then went on to his first ever ATP final. A fluke win. Ferrer simply broke Rafa down a few weeks later at the USO. Not a fluke as Ferru as you call him (we call him Pics on MTF  :)) ) has qualified for the TMC. He won't be back next year. And that 35 year old shrimp destroyed Djokovic in Paris and has given Fed lots of trouble. Andy has beaten him twice before, and it was Andy's first event in months so that was a fluke. It probably won't happen again. Anything else?  ;-()

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2008, 08:16:01 PM »
I cant see Andy ever beating Federer, Djokovic, or Nadal in the future to be honest.    Those guys can read his serve, which despite its power is still easier to return then say Karlovic's serve; and those guys can all easily outhit or outrun him from the baseline.   His transition game to the net, and actually ability to cover and volley is not good enough vs the passing game of those guys.   He also does not return well enough to effectively return any of their serves, even Nadal's serve is tough for him to return well as we saw in the Pacific Life semis.   His overall game just isnt good enough to be any better then he is now.    I am sorry, that is just the way it is.

Also I dont agree he doesnt work on getting better, I think he does, he has pushed to the boundaries of his potential talent, and unfortunately many of the American "experts" including guys like Johnny Mac had an inflated idea of what that potential talent was in the first place, which is why they give him a hard time.   The 3 I mentioned are just much more naturally talented all around players then he is, and there are a couple more coming up.   

:rofl_2: I couldn't either. :)~