Author Topic: Hellooo T4U  (Read 1373 times)

Offline ofey

• Tennis Player
Hellooo T4U
« on: November 21, 2007, 08:20:50 PM »
Hi all,

I first picked up a racquet at about 13 (now 30) and took tennis lessons from a "colorful" coach who absolutely worshipped Boris Becker (he serves like him and imitates Becker's "walking the ball" routine). My parents were advised by him NOT to buy a racquet initially and so I started by borrowing his Wilson ProStaff Classic 6.0 85Sq" (which he passed on to me when I stopped my training at 17 and him retiring) and was taught to play with an Eastern Grip. I was also taught to play with a Wooden Wilson Jack Kramer and Dunlop MaxPly. My uncle who suggested this coach also for a time lent me his Prince Graphite Classic for a time. So you can say I've used some classic racquets in my time.

My personal favourite player is Stefan Edberg (initially chosen just to piss my coach off) and I adapted myself to play with a continental grip on all my strokes (serve, fore and backhand) and copied his strange serve (yes high ball toss) and back arch.  I also possess his even stranger chicken wing forehand. Being rather vertically challenged, the serve volley game doesn't suit me but alot of people have commented that I've actually imitated Stefan's serve, strokes and on court demeanor to a T. I've also admired Sampras, Henman, Gasquet and Safin over the years.  Still since I don't play competitively, it's worked for me in friendly games.

Didn't play much during Uni. Now since moving to Melbourne, I've picked up the racquet again and am currently helping my wife pick up her tennis basics. I would probably rate as a 3.0 player.

So anything to do with Edberg or Sampras, I'm interested.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: Hellooo T4U
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 09:16:17 PM »
Hi ofey, welcome to the forums!! You'll find a lot of lively debates about the players here. Just jump in whenever you want!!   :)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 05:56:52 AM »
 :welcome2:
Great intro to the forums!  Sounds like we are about the same age and share some common ground.  Be sure and catch Sampras v. Federer this week!  Not very competitive but still fun to watch the shotmaking of 2 great champs.  Also, be sure and check out the video section of the site, very good stuff there.

Don't forget to start your own journal about your tennis activities.  It serves well as a log, tip source, and general tennis BS area.

I'm off to watch the 2nd Pete v. Roger match right now!   wooooohoooo ( on the tele of course :().
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 07:36:24 PM »
Welcome to the forums!  Glad you found us here! 

I didn't see much of Edberg but I did see a ton of Sampras, and I am a big fan!

Also sounds like you and I picked up the racquet almost at the same time.  I was 14 and I am 32.  Not sure what the "Uni is".

And speaking of vertically challenged, I am 5'-4" tall, although I do serve and volley.  I play in the 4.5 leagues.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline ofey

• Tennis Player
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 11:30:09 PM »
Not sure what the "Uni is".

Uni = University.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 11:40:13 PM »
I should have known that, my bad...

College was rough for me too.  I only met one guy who was better than I was at college and he ended up leaving mid way through my 5 years there.  The gap between the rest of the players left and myself was huge, which is way sad for a decent size college (Kent State).  I played the college intramural tennis tournaments and won 11 in a row before I quit playing them. 
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 07:00:38 AM »
Welcome here Ofey!   :)    I look forward to hearing more from you.   ;-()   

Hey Monster you are not 30 (or near) right? 

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 02:39:21 PM »
Welcome here Ofey!   :)    I look forward to hearing more from you.   ;-()   

Hey Monster you are not 30 (or near) right? 
Ahhh, no.  Way past that.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 05:16:26 PM »
Hi ofey, welcome to the forums!! You'll find a lot of lively debates about the players here. Just jump in whenever you want!!   :)

indeed. welcome to the forums. jump in and dont be shy.