Author Topic: Having some trouble  (Read 1035 times)

phenomic

Having some trouble
« on: March 12, 2005, 10:18:31 PM »
I don't know why but lately my height of shots is being inconsistent.  I have been playing for two years and recently switched to a head liquidmetal 4 racket.  I hate to blame it on the racket but it doesnt feel right to me.  It feels like i have to take a lot off of my shot to keep the shots in even with some good topspin.  My old racket prince more control db, i could hit as hard and fast as i wanted and always was able to keep my shots in.  I broke 3 of those rackets though so i dont want another one.  Should i try changing to a different racket (Any suggestions?)  

I am hitting semi-western forehands and i dont know what my backhands called but one knuckle is on two and the other is directly across it.

I am just getting irritated because i have to slow my strokes way down to keep the ball in and it doesnt feel right.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Having some trouble
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 10:30:15 PM »
Have you tried stringing the racquet any tighter?  I will assume that you switched to the same size of head racquet?  Midplus?  I hope you did not go from a midplus to an oversize, those things are like rocket launchers after using a midplus.

Some racquets are more flexible too, and that will give you some more power.  Let me go look up the specs on those racquets...

Head Liquid 4
Midplus Specs
Head Size:
102 sq. in. / 658 sq. cm.
Length: 27.25 inches / 69 cm
Strung Weight: 10.7oz / 303g
Balance: 1 pts Head Heavy
Swingweight: 335
Stiffness: 67
Beam Width: 25 mm Straight Beam
Composition: LiquidMetal Titanium / Graphite and Piezzo Electric Fibers
Power Level: Medium
Swing Speed: Moderate-Fast
Grip Type: HydroSorb
String Pattern:
16 Mains / 19 Crosses
Mains skip: 7T,9T,8H
Two Piece
No shared holes
String Tension: 52-62 pounds

Prince More Control DB
Midplus Specs
Head Size:
97 sq. in. / 626 sq. cm.
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm
Strung Weight: 11.4oz / 323g
Balance: 5pts Head Light
Swingweight: 322
Stiffness: 71
Beam Width: 22 mm Straight Beam
Composition: GraphitExtreme / Copper / Titanium / Tungsten
Power Level: Low-Medium
Swing Speed: Medium-fast
Grip Type: More Air+
String Pattern:
16 Mains / 20 Crosses
Mains skip: 7T.9T.7H.9H
One Piece
Shared Holes: 10H
String Tension: 53-63 pounds

The older racquet you were using had a power level of Low-medium, you new racquet is rated at medium.   You also went from a head light racquet to a racquet slightly head heavy.  The combo of the two is probably 2 reasons the new one is rated at medium power over the low-meduim.  Your old racquet was stiffer too, so 3 reasons.

In the end it didn't seem like a major change in the specs though still a change.  I recently switched racquets because I could no longer find the ones I was using, even racquets that were used.  So I switched to a racquet that was suppose to be it's replacement.  I hated them.  I had never demoed them and it was a mistake.  I liked it for everything but the forehand, I never felt like I knew where the head of the racquet was.  I tried some more racquets and fell in love with one and still use it now.

First I would try to string the racquet tighter, see if it helps.  If not, start trying some other racquets.  Let us know how it goes.  I know it can be a frustrating process, hang in there!!!!!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Anonymous

Having some trouble
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 10:50:11 PM »
Thanks for the indepth info.  I feel guilty blaming it on the racket but i think it is.  Both were midplus.  When i bought the racket, my pro strung it at 57 lbs which was recommended.  I told him it was way to opowerful for me so he restrung it at 62lbs which was the maximum recommended tightness.  It felt a lot weaker which is what i liked but still bugged me.  Since i have broken all my previous rackets (I don't through them at the ground or hit them on the ground, the more controls always broke on the tungsten parts of the head).  I think ill demo some stuff soon and use this one as my backup.