Author Topic: How's your weather?  (Read 111261 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: How's your weather?
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2007, 09:34:07 PM »
I'm all set to avoid most of the mad winter here (which usually starts mid Jan and ends in March) by getting my tickets to the Philippines for most of February. I figured that way I would miss much of the bite. But this early pre-winter winter weather has thrown me for a loop.
 :ranting: :cursing: :ranting: :cursing: :ranting: :cursing: :ranting: :cursing: :ranting: :cursing: :ranting: :cursing: :ranting: :cursing: :ranting: :cursing: :ranting: :depressed: :crying:

Shame to hearthe early winter has caught you out but just try to think about all the bad weather you'll be missing when you go to the Philippines for most of February. Brilliant month to go that is to avoid the really harsh weather  :) What are you going to the Philippines for Dmas?, long holiday, family/friends there?

All of the above, plus I probably know (or knew) more solid tennis players there than I do here.

I hope they have good tennis coverage over there.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2007, 09:52:35 PM »
I'm all set to avoid most of the mad winter here (which usually starts mid Jan and ends in March) by getting my tickets to the Philippines for most of February. I figured that way I would miss much of the bite. But this early pre-winter winter weather has thrown me for a loop.
 :ranting: :cursing: :ranting: :cursing: :ranting: :cursing: :ranting: :cursing: :ranting: :cursing: :ranting: :cursing: :ranting: :cursing: :ranting: :cursing: :ranting: :depressed: :crying:

Shame to hearthe early winter has caught you out but just try to think about all the bad weather you'll be missing when you go to the Philippines for most of February. Brilliant month to go that is to avoid the really harsh weather  :) What are you going to the Philippines for Dmas?, long holiday, family/friends there?

All of the above, plus I probably know (or knew) more solid tennis players there than I do here.

When I lived there they had a channel that was dedicated to each Grand Slam. They would show the whole day's coverage, then repeat it. I don't know if they still do that. Have to ask Kara.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crme (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2007, 09:56:04 PM »

When I lived there they had a channel that was dedicated to each Grand Slam. They would show the whole day's coverage, then repeat it. I don't know if they still do that. Have to ask Kara.

Sounds good, USA is lagging behind IMHO.

You'll find out soon enough.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2007, 04:21:48 AM »
More snow coming today, maybe another 6".
Will be firing up the ice auger today in anticipation of some fishing over the next 2 weeks.   wooohooo :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2007, 04:23:38 AM »
Will be firing up the ice auger today in anticipation of some fishing over the next 2 weeks.   wooohooo :))

This snow and ice can't be good for your fishing Monster  ..-)
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2007, 10:58:52 AM »

This snow and ice can't be good for your fishing Monster  ..-)
Snow doesn't help as it insulates the ice below it and slows the freezing process.
Just finished a tune-up on my ice auger and will be heading out ice fishing tomorrow a.m.  woooohooo :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2007, 11:43:30 AM »

Actually I won't find out this time. I'll be there after the AO. I was there for the AO and the French and part of Wimbledon in '99 and it was great. I just left the TV on that channel and it was all tennis all the time. No human interest pieces on the big players, no special reports, no debates, just tennis.
As for the US lagging, well that's a direct result of the networks stranglehold on TV. They dictate the coverage. When it's shown, how it's shown, and what is shown. Until that changes we will never have what I described. Even the Tennis Channel won't be able to do that. They came close this year during the French with their court channels. But that only lasted the first week. In the second week the networks took over and we got junk again.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »

Actually I won't find out this time. I'll be there after the AO. I was there for the AO and the French and part of Wimbledon in '99 and it was great. I just left the TV on that channel and it was all tennis all the time. No human interest pieces on the big players, no special reports, no debates, just tennis.
As for the US lagging, well that's a direct result of the networks stranglehold on TV. They dictate the coverage. When it's shown, how it's shown, and what is shown. Until that changes we will never have what I described. Even the Tennis Channel won't be able to do that. They came close this year during the French with their court channels. But that only lasted the first week. In the second week the networks took over and we got junk again.

Bummer, at least show the second week!

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2007, 09:41:33 PM »
Hey Swish, what is the forecast for Chicago for Saturday-Tuesday?  The wifey and I will be making our way up there for Christmas with the relatives. 

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2007, 09:50:12 AM »
There is no way I could live in a place with all that snow and cold temperatures!  I'm cold when the temp go below 60!  I can not imagine how you guys cope with all that cold weather! :scared:

Offline barbadosan

• Tennis God
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2007, 12:25:02 PM »
There is no way I could live in a place with all that snow and cold temperatures!  I'm cold when the temp go below 60!  I can not imagine how you guys cope with all that cold weather! :scared:

Whoa! If it drops to 78F, we pull out long sleeved shirts and sweaters... anything further down and the blankets come out  :)) This is our temp right now: Grantley Adams International, Barbados; Updated: 2:00 PM AST (December 21, 2007); Conditions: Partly Cloudy; Temperature: 85F (29C);
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 12:27:05 PM by barbadosan »

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2007, 01:46:15 PM »

Whoa! If it drops to 78F, we pull out long sleeved shirts and sweaters... anything further down and the blankets come out  :)) This is our temp right now: Grantley Adams International, Barbados; Updated: 2:00 PM AST (December 21, 2007); Conditions: Partly Cloudy; Temperature: 85F (29C);

:)>>>>

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2007, 05:53:57 PM »
Hey Swish, what is the forecast for Chicago for Saturday-Tuesday?  The wifey and I will be making our way up there for Christmas with the relatives. 

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/60641?from=36hr_topnav_business

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2007, 06:22:40 PM »

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/60641?from=36hr_topnav_business

Thanks Swish!  Looks like smooth driving weather for us. 

Offline barbadosan

• Tennis God
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2007, 09:15:33 PM »

Now you'll REALLY shoot me, but I thought this might make you feel - er- better? warmer?  :)~ :)~

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2007, 12:57:01 AM »

Now you'll REALLY shoot me, but I thought this might make you feel - er- better? warmer?  :)~ :)~

Ah that looks absolutely gorgeous, I compare that to the cold, frosty and no doubt within a few days rainy weather here and ask myself where would I rather be now?........... I wonder  :whistle:
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2007, 08:14:41 AM »

I don't see any fish there! :mad1: :whistle:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2007, 08:17:33 AM »

I had the good fortune of spending a great deal of time in the Caribbean during my stint in the U.S. Navy.  I'll admit it really is beautiful there but I much prefer the different seasons and temperature swings here in New England.  Still, I do vacation in those warmer waters where you live!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline barbadosan

• Tennis God
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2007, 08:36:52 AM »

Haha. I'll make sure some flying fish turn up for you next time :) You want them steamed or fried?  :)~
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 08:38:17 AM by barbadosan »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2007, 08:47:28 AM »

Haha. I'll make sure some flying fish turn up for you next time :) You want them steamed or fried?  :)~
Why both of course! :))
CONK da ball!!!