Author Topic: New, new, and knew  (Read 1081 times)

Offline rebound

• New Poster
New, new, and knew
« on: December 06, 2007, 06:56:23 PM »
I'm new to this forum. I just found it while searching for tennis information about Northwest Florida. We plan to vacation there this winter.

I'm also new to tennis. I just started this past season. I never played before and took it up mostly as a fitness activity. I have had a stubborn case of Plantar Faciatis and have been unable to run any distance (distance running had been my normal fitness activity). So, tennis is my current passion but I'm not good at it. I am much improved and don't hit nearly so many over the fence any more but still, I'm only about a 2.0 on my good days.

I knew some would be curious so some background. I'm a retired Systems Engineer/IT Consultant (65 years old) living in Canada. There is about 6" of snow on everything right now so the only tennis available is at the gym I belong to. We have to set up and tear down every time we play. Indoor tennis is OK but it's about like running on the indoor track - better than nothing but a poor imitation of a real outdoor activity. And, that explains why we are going to Florida for a good chunk of the winter and why we can.

I don't expect I will be able to contribute much to the forums and will likely just try to absorb as much as possible. Is it possible to become a good player through osmosis?

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: New, new, and knew
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 07:06:04 PM »
Welcome to the forums! 

Indoor tennis (most likely on a gym floor?) is tough because the ball doesn't bounce much, but any tennis is better than no tennis...

As far as the osmosis goes, I have no clue.

Glad you found us here!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 07:17:17 PM »
Welcome Rebound, tennis can be a great sport for burning some calories and releasing some competitive juices while meeting cool people!  Don't hesitate to jump in wherever and ask any question you like.  Also, you better create a journal so we can discuss your developing game. 

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 07:53:51 PM »
I don't think osmosis works where tennis is concerned. You just have to play and play, and if you can, get lessons. That has been and probably always will be the best way to learn.
Welcome to T4Y. Fire away if you've got any questions.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 01:54:03 AM »
I'm new to this forum. I just found it while searching for tennis information about Northwest Florida. We plan to vacation there this winter.

I'm also new to tennis. I just started this past season. I never played before and took it up mostly as a fitness activity. I have had a stubborn case of Plantar Faciatis and have been unable to run any distance (distance running had been my normal fitness activity). So, tennis is my current passion but I'm not good at it. I am much improved and don't hit nearly so many over the fence any more but still, I'm only about a 2.0 on my good days.

I knew some would be curious so some background. I'm a retired Systems Engineer/IT Consultant (65 years old) living in Canada. There is about 6" of snow on everything right now so the only tennis available is at the gym I belong to. We have to set up and tear down every time we play. Indoor tennis is OK but it's about like running on the indoor track - better than nothing but a poor imitation of a real outdoor activity. And, that explains why we are going to Florida for a good chunk of the winter and why we can.

I don't expect I will be able to contribute much to the forums and will likely just try to absorb as much as possible. Is it possible to become a good player through osmosis?

welcome to the forums. we are not experts here. post away and have a blast.