Author Topic: The 'Andy Roddick and Brooklyn Decker-Roddick' Fan Thread  (Read 66411 times)

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
Re: Quotes on, about, and from Andy Roddick
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2008, 07:07:52 PM »
You know you and he have the same name?? :whistle:

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2008, 07:09:33 PM »
BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
but i'm black so that changes everything. ;)
Be the change that you seek.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2008, 07:17:59 PM »
Andrew Stephen Roddick > wilsonboy :)) :)) :))

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2008, 07:19:35 PM »

That's a low blow! :rofl_2:

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2008, 07:23:26 PM »
Okay, so i was waiting until the end of the roddick match since i missed it... wow

I'm actually happy he lost. I don't have anything against Roddick but his attitude stunk on the court. I mean, I know he was mad but still, have some integrity dude. sorry bgt... i know that sucks.

heard he lost his cool. not too bright. you are sending the wrong message to your opponent when you do that.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2008, 07:26:16 PM »

Whatever... my avatar's still hot
Be the change that you seek.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2008, 07:29:17 PM »
Okay, so i was waiting until the end of the roddick match since i missed it... wow

I'm actually happy he lost. I don't have anything against Roddick but his attitude stunk on the court. I mean, I know he was mad but still, have some integrity dude. sorry bgt... i know that sucks.

At least you know it still means a lot to him, a good sign for the Roddick fans.

It looks like he was just caught off guard by a hot player though.

This loss shows that everyone is dangerous and there are no freebies on the court.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2008, 07:39:42 PM »

Whatever... my avatar's still hot

But his girlfriend is in more than pictures. Whichever one you choose.  ;-()

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline jillian

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2008, 08:17:21 PM »
I'd like someone to tell me what exactly Jimmy has brought to Andy's game that he didn't already have. i don't see anything new or threatening.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2008, 09:24:53 PM »
I'd like someone to tell me what exactly Jimmy has brought to Andy's game that he didn't already have. i don't see anything new or threatening.

The only thing I've seen different is Andy's bad attitude on court  (and I don't like that change) :innocent:

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2008, 12:13:29 AM »

The only thing I've seen different is Andy's bad attitude on court  (and I don't like that change) :innocent:

I actually agree here, I feel like Jimmy has encouraged Andy to be more feisty and b**chy and fight harder.  He did not need that.  From hearing Andy talk about Jimmy and his affect it sounded like Andy mainly got a confidence boost in himself because a past great player had faith in him.  Thats kinda weak.....did Andy really need that little confidence boost? 

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2008, 01:19:28 AM »

I actually agree here, I feel like Jimmy has encouraged Andy to be more feisty and b**chy and fight harder.  He did not need that.  From hearing Andy talk about Jimmy and his affect it sounded like Andy mainly got a confidence boost in himself because a past great player had faith in him.  Thats kinda weak.....did Andy really need that little confidence boost? 

For sure Andy has become much more aggressive on court over the last 12 months or so and thats what Connors has spoken about getting into Roddicks game whenever I've seen him in an interview. He always says how he loves to see the fight in a player and thats what he likes in Roddick's game now, so for sure Connors has encouraged Andy to be much more aggressive and fight much more (but in a different way) on the court.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2008, 08:23:06 AM »

For sure Andy has become much more aggressive on court over the last 12 months or so and thats what Connors has spoken about getting into Roddicks game whenever I've seen him in an interview. He always says how he loves to see the fight in a player and thats what he likes in Roddick's game now, so for sure Connors has encouraged Andy to be much more aggressive and fight much more (but in a different way) on the court.

As all know, I don't think this is good.  For years, he's always looked to me to be a pretty unstable character (there have been numerous stories about smashed locker rooms and racquets and late night benders after losses) and Jimmy's advice is not exactly designed for anger management. I believe the Roddicks should send him on his way.

However, to contribute an outside piece, I came across this at the TM website from Steve Tignor written early in the AO.

Andy Roddick: Is he resigned to being a backboard with a huge serve? I didn’t see a lot of effort from him last night to create or attack in his match against Lukas Dlouhy. If Roddick isn’t going to take a few chances at this point, will he later in the tournament? Maybe it’s his best option—his steadiness is his most underrated asset. He doesn’t make a lot of errors, and that will make you a consistent winner at any level.

Rather than just a backboard, I'd say moving backboard but otherwise I thought it rather good.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2008, 10:18:13 AM »
To me, and all the other people in the AR forum on MTF, we all predicted a struggle against Kohl, maybe 4 sets, but not him playing from behind the entire time. His first two rounds proved that. We were ALL disappointed in how he play against Berrer and Dlouhy. I know he didn't have to play his best tennis to beat those guys, but at least look impressive. :mad1:

Offline jillian

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2008, 01:18:40 PM »
so the consensus is that Jimmy hasn't really contributed anything to Andy's game? that's sad.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2008, 02:15:40 PM »

great question. one thing jimmy was known for a monsterous return game. not roddick`s return game is the worst it has ever been.

the jury is still out if he has taught roddick any strategy. he finishes #6 in 2007 for the second year in a row.

and now with this loss here, he could drop out of top 20. next slam is the french open and he does not have a prayer there. wimby belongs to fed or nadal. the u.s. open may go to fed again.

and the masters series events are just as hard for roddick because of low seedings. i think roddick has some huge hurdles in his way now.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 02:20:15 PM by hercules »

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2008, 05:12:55 PM »

great question. one thing jimmy was known for a monsterous return game. not roddick`s retrun game is the worst it has ever been.

the jury is still out if he has taught roddick any strategy. he finishes #6 in 2007 for the second year in a row.

and now with this loss here, he could drop out of top 20. next slam is the french open and he does not have a prayer there. wimby belongs to fed or nadal. the u.s. open may go to fed again.

and the masters series events are just as hard for roddick because of low seedings. i think roddick has some huge hurdles in his way now.

Keep in mind, Conner's "monstrous return game" was monstrous only in relation to his peers. In his day players couldn't put the pressure on their oppenent's serve that he did. Agassi, upped that pressure, and now it is common place.
Today's normal return is more offensive than Conner at his best.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2008, 09:06:38 PM »
The Hot 50: Andy answers 50 questions from his fans. :)) I sent one in so I hope to see it answered. :whistle: Here are parts 1 and 2:

1 – What was your Halloween costume this year?
I was Goose and my buddy Dillon was Maverick from the movie Top Gun. It was funny because a couple of friends of ours came as Top Gun characters also, but thankfully they were from a different scene. I guess I was very unoriginal.

2 – If you could be a comic book superhero, what power would you want?
I would want to be able to be invisible.

3 – Do you wear contact lenses when you play?
Nope.

4 – How often to you check out Ar.com?
Daily … watch out!!!! Be nice!!

5 – Where are you going to put your Davis Cup Trophy?
I have a long hallway in my house and the US Open trophy is at one end….I think it’s gonna go at the other end. That, or in my bed so I can sleep next to it!

6 – Do you consider yourself romantic?
I was never that romantic, but I am getting better.

7 – What is your least favorite work out activity?
Stationary bike workouts… they are so boring. I like being outside when I work out.

8 – Have you ever played ‘spin the bottle’?
Yes I have…I was not a very good spinner ha ha ha.

9 – What question annoys you the most in interviews?
Questions that insinuate that it is just very easy to play tennis and everything is easily fixed…. the old saying goes if it was easy everyone would do it.

10 – Do you still bit your nails?
Yes…it’s terrible.

--------------

11 – What would be your go to song on Karaoke night?
Maybe bust a move by young mc…I can’t sing a lick so I would not subject anyone to it ha ha.

12 – Who is better at scrabble? You, John or Doug?
I am the best scrabble player in all the land…. or at least between John, Doug, and myself.

13 – How many No Compromise wristbands do you go through in a year?
Only a couple….mine never break… I think the only time I switched it last year was when we went to the red, white, and blue band.

14 – What is it like being “Uncle Andy?”
It’s awesome!! They don’t really know what I do, so it is so innocent when I get to spend time with them…. they are growing up so fast… it was great to spend time with them over the holidays.

15 – Would you captain a future Davis Cup Team if you were asked to?
Yes, and I hope to be asked.

16 – Do you ever have a day when you do absolutely nothing?
Nope…I am not good with not having anything to do. Luckily I am always busy with business stuff or my foundation. Even when I have days off of tennis, I like to stay busy.

17 – What is the ring-tone on your phone?
Right now it’s whatever the stock ring is on the i-phone. It’s usually on silent. I text more than I talk.

18 – Any plans to shave your head this year?
No plans, but who knows… I don’t think I have ever known I was going to shave it the day before I did it.

19 – Do you ever take out your US Open trophy and give it a hug?
Nope. It has not moved in four years. I need a new one to hug get working on that Andy.. :innocent:

20 – What is something we would be surprised to know about you?
I am up by 6:30 am everyday… I absolutely love getting up in the morning. It’s become my favorite time of the day. For some reason I guess I come off as the sleeping in type  :scared:

21 – What did you do for New Year’s Eve? Any resolutions for 2008?
It was actually the first time that I made it to midnight in the last three or four years. I was in Hawaii training from the 26th on. It was really nice. Our great friends KC and Toni set up a great little dinner and we had a dj…. there was only about fifteen of us there but it was full of a lot of laughs and it was good fun… I slept in til 8 the next morning.

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2008, 05:28:52 PM »
Not sure if this quote has been posted/ I don't care anyway/ I can't be bothered checking

"If I wore a sleeveless shirt, people would try to feed me after the match" - Andy Roddick

I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2008, 08:20:20 PM »
Not sure if this quote has been posted/ I don't care anyway/ I can't be bothered checking

"If I wore a sleeveless shirt, people would try to feed me after the match" - Andy Roddick

I've seen that one.  :)

Here's Part 3 of the Hot 50.

22 – If you could have attended any sporting event in the past what would it be?
Any of Nebraska’s national title games of the nineties.

23 – What do you normally order at Starbucks?
A latte or just a regular coffee.

24 – If you had a pet parrot, what phrase would you teach it to say?
Go Big Red!

25 – If you could eliminate one fashion trend for girls, what would it be?
I am not sure if this is a trend, but girls who wear too much makeup…. you look fine with half the war paint.

26 – If you could switch and ask anybody 50 questions, who would you want to interview?
I am so lucky that I have gotten to spend some time with a lot of my idols, so I am gonna go with someone I have not met before…… Michael Bono (come on, you could not honestly expect to only pick one person)… Jordan and Bono.

27 – Last year you said you wanted kids someday….have you thought of names?
Yes I have thought of names 

28 – Which player in tennis history would you want to play against?
Arthur Ashe

29 – What chick flick movie do you secretly like (not so secret now!)?
A league of Their Own…… not proud

30 – What are your goals for 2008?
Win more!

31- If you retired tomorrow, what would you do?
Not sure. Hopefully I will not have to make that decision anytime soon…I will always work as hard as I can for our foundation. I don’t see that ever stopping. Radio intrigues me a little.