Author Topic: The 'Andy Roddick and Brooklyn Decker-Roddick' Fan Thread  (Read 60698 times)

Offline Victor

• Tennis God
Re: Quotes on, about, and from Andy Roddick
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2008, 06:45:25 AM »
More more! These are great XD
Dont fight about tennis, support tennis.

I just didn't think I would be seeing a clay court tournament where Roddick is still in it and Nadal is out.   -   Dallas -  31 May, RG 2009

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2008, 12:01:13 PM »
Part 4
--------------------------

32 – If you could change one thing about your appearance, what would it be?
Not really sure where my hair wants to go, but I would appreciate it if it stuck around a little while longer ha ha. Awww. even he realizes that his hairline is receding too... :scared:

33 – Do you have any good luck charms you keep in your bag?
Not really…I keep a lot of the stuff that fans give me in there, but normally have a fresh bag every year or so.

34 – Which is your favorite NFL team?
Texans…I get local coverage in Austin so I watch a lot of their games…and whatever teams the guys on my fantasy football team play for.

35 – If you could play doubles with one celebrity, who would it be?
Probably a comedian for entertainment value…maybe Robin Williams, Chris Rock, or Dave Chappelle.

36 – How does it feel when you see things written about you on the Internet, does it bother you, freak you out a bit?
This one is always weird. I normally don’t think much of it, but there are exceptions. Last year I was running in a park in North Carolina and was back on this wooded trail for an hour… I must have seen 4 people the whole time I was out there and it gotten written up in the paper and on the internet the next day…Also, I read recently where it said I was in Vegas on new years. I am not sure how they can write that, because I was definitely in Hawaii…weird.

37 – Would you ever consider doing a reality show?
Nope.

38 – Some of the European players have posed nude for magazines, would you ever?
Nope.

39 – Do you play any instruments?
Nope…I will learn an instrument when I am done though. I am so jealous of the Bryans when they just sit down and start playing music… I think it’s so cool.

40 – Even though you said you didn’t want to be an actor, if you could be in any movie, what movie would you want to have been in?
Rocky.

41 – Do you follow the elections in the states?
Yes I am actually following the elections closely this year. There are so many intriguing storylines, especially on the Democratic side.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2008, 09:55:40 AM »
Andy and Arizona unveil new fitness drink

Andy and AriZona Beverage Co. Team Up to Create Hypotonic Sports Drink!

“Andy Roddick, the All-American tennis Pro, delivers the fastest serve on the tennis court. He chooses a drink that can measure up to his extreme level of performance.”

Team Roddick joined forces last year with AriZona Beverage Co. to create a new Lemon Lime flavor sports drink that can match the level of endurance of a professional athlete. The result is the Hypotonic Sports Drink. With no preservatives, artificial colors and 100% natural flavor, it is the only Hy-Performance sports drink fortified with calcium, magnesium, potassium, and Vitamin A & E, infused with Amino Acids for a better game.

Ar.com caught up with AriZona Beverage’s Jim Gunther to learn more about the revolutionary Hypotonic Sports Drink. “In terms of sports drinks, there are three types, Isotonic, Hypotonic, and Hypertonic. All three names have to do with how the drink is absorbed by the body,” Jim explained, “Andy’s Sports drink is a Hypotonic.

But why is Hypotonic better for your body? Hypotonic drinks have a concentration that is lower than the blood. Therefore these drinks are rapidly absorbed into the blood stream. They begin
the re-hydration process while simultaneously helping to replenish carbohydrate energy reserves. The value of the Hypotonic drink is explained right on the bottle’s label. “Faster
Re-hydration means less fatigue, quicker response and overall better athletic performance. So serve up AriZona’s new Hypotonic, just like Andy.”

Andy’s Hypotonic Sports Drink is currently available in select markets throughout New York, Chicago and Florida but you can score yours at www.drinkarizona.com

Be sure to check back to Ar.com this weekend for discounts and interactive features from AriZona Beverage Co. and Hypotonic Sports Drink.

-------------------------

I heard about this a long time ago so it's exciting that it's finally out. I want to buy some if I can find it. :pepsi:

Here's the link to the drink online. I bet it's delicious.. like Andy. :)~

http://www.drinkarizona.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=2&idproduct=238
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 10:01:34 AM by blackgirltennis »

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2008, 08:30:38 AM »
Found a whole bunch of funny quotes. Kinda long, but worth a read. I bolded the ones I really liked.

---------------------------

Rod-dick... I had years of psychological issues with that.

There's no doubt there are issues with clay. Our issues have issues that are issues right now. That's not a secret.

The key to the match might have been his serving. Maybe I should have concentrated harder on watching them go by me, I don't know.

The cheerleaders. Wait, there are none.
On what really keeps him playing tennis

At one point in your life you have the thing you want or the reasons why you don't.

I was happy to get to No. 4 because Brad, that was what he had on me - 'Yeah, yeah, I was 4 in the world, you're only 5.' So he's lost that line this week.

I threw the kitchen sink at him but he went to the bathroom and got his tub.

I went in on his forehand and he passed me; I went in on his backhand and he passed me; I stayed back and he passed me even though I was at the baseline. :rofl_2:

What will I do on my day off? Not do press conferences.

If I didn't want pressure, I'd go make sandwiches somewhere.

No, they have TV, which is nice. You get to the Round of 16, and Mom's all pumped because she can watch on TV. Other than that, they sit in front of the computer and watch the scoreboard tick away, which, if you ask me, would be extremely annoying, but, you know.
On his parents watching his matches

Elmo's a very important person in my life. You've got to have Elmo's respect. You don't want to piss him off.

Maybe I'll just punch him or something.

It's really hard to try and kick someone's ass who you like so much!

My hobbies include underwater fire extinguishing.

The wind was blowing, the dogs were barking, something got in my eye.
Explaining his defeat at Wimbledon 2002

You'll see 18 guys walking before me, I'll be the one pointed out. I guess they think I'm trying to sneak into the locker room.

What are you? Are you an absolute moron?
A remark to the umpire at the US Open 2002

Valentine's Day was created by women to get men in trouble.

As good as anybody not named Roger.
On his chances as the US Open 2005

When I was a kid, it was challenging to find out when and where you could find tennis on TV.

Call me All American, but I love ham and cheese sandwiches. And not just any old ham and cheese sandwich... My mother's is the best. I've tried many times to make these sandwiches on my own, but it's never the same.

When you come off something really disappointing, you want to come back and kind of regroup and get involved in something positive right away.

You know, you can only throw in so many haymakers before one misses and you get knocked out.

I don't know if my fans think that long-term in regards to me.
When asked if he ever received marriage proposals from fans

Oh my God! I just won the US Open!
After winning the US Open 2003

I said, "Get him, help me out." Compliments, no, I just wanted the bee to get him. I mean...
On wanting the bee to sting Federer in their Wimbledon 2003 match

If wore a sleeveless shirt, people would try to feed me after the match. If you got the guns, go for it. I got two breadsticks sticking out of my sleeve. I'll stick with sleeves.

I love this s**t!

People say Lleyton Hewitt and Andy should have a great rivalry but how can you have a great rivalry if one guy wins all the time?

The things that annoys me the most is when you see these players throw the racket with no intentions of breaking it. Don't half-ass it, just go for it. In 2002, I broke 39 rackets.

I'd like to congratulate Roger, you're certainly becoming very annoying!

I take my tennis very seriously. It's the rest of my life that's a little shaky.

When I was 12 years old, I got really pissed at my opponent and I chased him with a tennis racquet. My mom pulled me off the court, and I was done with the tournament. It's not cool when you're 12 and your mom drags you off the court.

I haven't played strip tennis yet - I have to leave some goals unreached for the future! :)~

I get cooler with every match I win, but I'm still the biggest dork who ever lived.

Having two older brothers is a healthy reminder that you're always closer to the bottom than you are to the top.

I don't think that I am God's gift to the world just because I can hit a little yellow fuzzy thing across a net a couple of times. I don't buy into that whole thing. That's not me.

I'm kind of like in this alternate state on court. I get so pumped up. I'm yelling at myself and cussing at myself, or I'm euphoric and jumping into the stands. If I see a replay of me, I'm like, 'What was I doing?' ://

Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do, but to hold on when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, thats true strength.

Winners never quit, quitters never win.

If someone wants your autograph it takes two seconds to scribble your name and you're making someone happy. Whoever says that's a burden, I don't agree with that. ://

You can't have fear, or you're not going to do anything.

You can talk about it for so long but, you know, there comes a time where you just have to suck it up and try to implement it.

I have denial problems. I have very selective memory. I have no idea what you're talking about.

You know the thing we use to hold up our backs? It's called a spine. You should look into one!
Yelling at a chair umpire

All is not lost, because I lost today.

I like to sing no matter how bad I sound.

I'm a little bit of a goofball. I was the class clown at high school. Smart comments and stuff. There was this one teacher that would make me write 500 word essays as punishment whenever I spoke out of turn or did something bad. So one Sunday I decided I'd write five or six of 'em and when she said: 'Right, 500-word essay!' I just pulled one right out of my desk. She made me write 1,000 for that one. I was a smart-ass. :rofl_2:

The only pressure I feel is what I put on myself.

Anyone who thinks I actually plan stuff out on the court is about as sharp as a marble. I'm totally focused on winning matches out there. That's tough enough without trying to do something else.

You know that you've made it good when your on a Wheaties box. That would be sweet.

I still have a way to go because I still like cartoons.

Losses like this just inspire me more. I just want to keep getting better and better, and I feel like I'm on the right track.

Every time I look at the bracelet it reminds me of the reality that so many children need help.
://

If you can't beat the best, then you can't be the best.

You've got to admit this is rather ridiculous to live the kind of life that gives me the chance to play a sport I love, make good money and meet all sorts of famous and interesting people.

It's nice when you have 30-odd girls in bikinis cheering for you.

I have a bunch of half-naked women. He has a bunch of men. I know who I'd rather have dinner with.

I was watching naughty tapes with my brother last week. Made me feel a lot better about my game.

I have no problem talking.

I was so torn with the match up. Obviously you want to play against your idols, but then again you don't want to be the guy who shot Bambi.
- On possibly playing and having to beat Andre Agassi at the US Open 2006

I fell out of bed the first night I was sleeping here. That's about as close to skydiving I got this week.

You throw enough crap against the wall, something's gonna stick one of these times.

I've definitely learned how to lose.

I don't know if I am politically correct enough to commentate. If a guy's playing like crap, I'm going to say he's playing like crap.

If someone gets under your skin, you give it back. It's not pleasant, but it's sports.

I am the guy who is not fun to do stuff with because I'm too competitive. We can play, but if you beat me, I'd need a moment.

This is the first ever year where I felt old. I'm giving advice. Jesus. You know how scary that thought is?

Don't go checking me for grey hairs - I'll push you away. It's weird sitting here being asked about the younger generation already!

I'm lucky enough to get my birthday wish every year, which is to play at the US Open.

I can't not know how to do anything on the tennis court and be an underachiever.

I think I was nine years old and I went with my tennis club to that tie [in 1992] in Dallas. It changed my life.

Being with the other fans in an arena like that, seeing your heroes play, hearing the anthem for the first time, it really was the first time I'd been at a sporting event which was just, you know, completely about patriotism and that whole thing. I think I fell in love with it then.
On going to the Davis Cup final in Ft. Worth, TX in 1992.

I've kind of found this comfort level with playing Davis Cup, whereas early on in my career I would be maybe get a little bit too overanxious. I feel comfortable playing for the U.S. flag now. Maybe that showed in the last couple of ties that I've been able to clinch.

I was freaking out. I had to leave after the first set and take like a 10-minute break to compose myself. It's a lot easier playing out there than it is watching, that's for sure.
- On watching the Davis Cup doubles against Sweden.

I don't even live at home anymore and I'm still afraid of my dad.
- When asked about Mardy Fish being afraid of his dad.

It's tough to view yourself. From the inside looking out, it's tough to see.

I'm not going to let anything change who I am.

If you guys were the second best journalists in the world, I bet you'd be pretty happy. It's a fine line, but also it's almost like a backhanded compliment.

I just come in and whatever pops into my head, I say.

You can't worry too much about stuff that you have no control over.

I'll be the first to admit that the life I'm leading is basically a joke. I should probably be a lot cooler about it, but I can't fake it, you know?

I like to divide it between the two a little bit, you know. One gets jealous so I have to sprain the other one too.
- On repeatedly spraining his ankles.

Don't sweat the petty. Pet the sweaty.

How to challenge line calls? No, he's taught me how to yell at referees.
- When asked if Jimmy had taught him how to challenge calls with Hawkeye.

I always lie about this one. I always just say whatever just happened is my favorite. So right now I'm glad I had a tough one, whereas last year when I had an easy one, I said I was glad I had an easy one. So I'm glad I had a tough one.
- When asked if he'd prefer an easy or hard first round match.

I always root for Dudi. You can't say "root" here. I always go for Dudi. Whatever. There's your headline.

I'm so proud to be part of this team, I'm so proud of my teammates, I wouldn't trade this team for any in the world. I love these guys.

Pretty sure I'm not as fit as the Men's Fitness cover suggests. Little did I know I have 22 inch guns and a disappearing birth mark on my right arm.

I caught an absolute beating tonight. There's no doubt about it. There's no two ways about it. You deal with it and you go back to the drawing board. You act like a professional, and you try to keep working hard.

I wake up and work my butt off on a daily basis.

I would pay a lot of money if everyone would just make up stuff that I said and pretend like I was actually here. That would be fine. My dad didn't raise me to run away from it, so here I am.
- When asked how much he would have paid not to come to a press conference after the AO 2007 semi against Federer.

There's a lot of strategy talk. It's not so much like, If you're down 6-4, 6-0, 2-0. We didn't really talk about that. Oops.

If there were rankings for press conferences, I wouldn't have to worry about dropping out of the top five, I hope.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2008, 12:46:52 PM »
Some fantastic quotes there BGT thanks for a great laugh  :rofl_2: I particularly liked the one when he was at school as the class clown and writing the essays in preparation- thats so Roddick for you  :))
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2008, 07:29:32 PM »
One thing about Roddick... he is intertaining in the press. :rofl_2:

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2008, 01:45:48 PM »
BGT, You have to take the bad with the good!  Guy needs to grow up.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jon Wertheim's analysis of Andy Roddick's recent behaviour

....Sports Illustrated

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll start by saying that more than a few of you were ripping James Blake last week for being too soft against Kei Nishikori and failing to flex his muscle against this teenage arriviste. When Roddick bullies the kid, he gets roasted for gamesmanship.

Also, I'm not sure this episode rises to the level of "felony trash talk." As I understood it, Roddick was telling Nishikori to be merciless, essentially saying, "If you're going to drive the lane, go for the dunk and not some cutesy finger roll." The message got lost in translation, but the intent didn't seem malicious. (Here's a write-up of his "monologue.")

Nevertheless, triggered by this latest episode, a lot of you wrote in criticizing Roddick's attitude of late. And I think that the larger point is a fair one. The dirty secret in men's tennis is that the guy has been fairly insufferable lately.

This isn't just from the grumps in the media. This has been noticed by everyone from ATP personnel to former Grand Slam champs to current players. And this diminishing reputation has nothing to do with match results or a stagnating game. It's all about disposition.

I haven't hidden my fondness for Roddick over the years. But it's probably about time he got called on his you-know-what. And heeding Roddick's advice to Nishikori, we're going to stick him with it: I cringed as Roddick dressed down Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and winced as he sucked down champagne and blew off the Portland, Ore., kids seeking autographs at the Davis Cup, and bristled at this laughable, Connors-ian me-against-the-world routine.

But he completely lost me in Australia. Roddick's tirade against the umpire -- some poor guy with kids watching at home -- was not only low-rent, but also played to every Ugly American stereotype. Roddick played the role of posturing bully frat boy, even when he didn't have right on his side.

Part of what makes this all so disappointing is that Roddick is better than this. I wish I had transcripts of some of the interviews I had with Roddick when he was 20. He simply "got it." He understood the flaws and virtues of tennis. His sportsmanship was beyond reproach. I vividly recall his losing to Pete Sampras at the 2002 U.S. Open, commenting that injuries were not a factor and then, in the locker room, removing a shoe to reveal a foot that looked fit for amputation.

He was accessible and accommodating. He did little things like pronounce Guillermo Coria's first name correctly; he did big things like launch a legit foundation, not the pay-my-friends-to-show-up-and-donate-the-table-scraps sham that so many other athletes perpetrate.

It's discouraging that at 26, Roddick has regressed almost to the point of cliché: another boorish athlete who appears to have forgotten that he was once that kid with the Sharpie in his extended hand. How is it that Roddick -- that wide-eyed teenager with Nebraska Cornhuskers wallpaper and pragmatic Wisconsin parents -- is now all about NetJets, model-dating and high-stakes poker games?

If there's any consolation, Roddick is conforming to a typical Tennis Growth Cycle. You start out innocently, thrilled to be part of the show and happy to accommodate. Then you get jaded by your existence. You're sick of being asked to sign autographs and pose for a photo with the promoter's sponsor's cousin.

You hate the Tour. You're sick of the media and their inane questioning. (In Roddick's case, how many times has he been asked some variation of a) how come American tennis is on the decline and b) with Roger Federer up there, have you resigned yourself to being a one-Slam wonder?) You're the smartest guy in the room and everyone else is an idiot.

Eventually, you come to realize that maybe your life isn't so bad. Those kids you just blew off? They are the ones paying your salary. The media? They help spread the gospel. The promoters? They're just trying to run a business. The money you got for showing up in Indianapolis or Bangkok? It will come in handy when you're done playing. As one of my favorite ATP execs puts it, "Tennis players learn how to say hello as soon as it's time to say good-bye."

So give Roddick a few more years. (Or wait until he and Connors part company.) Says here, he'll be back with us before we know it.

It's nice that this ends on a message of hope.  :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 03:09:42 PM by euroka1 »

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2008, 05:38:46 PM »
i am interested to see bgt's reaction. and good thing you changed that last line of your euroka! not that its any secret around here :rofl_2:

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2008, 05:44:18 PM »
i am interested to see bgt's reaction. and good thing you changed that last line of your euroka! not that its any secret around here :rofl_2:

who, me pawan? I'm the epitome of discretion! ..-)

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2008, 05:49:33 PM »
euroka, you're first post in the Andy quotes thread. :)) I have seen this article, and I hope Andy sees it too. :// Whether he has changed from when he first came on tour, imo, I cannot say because I have been following him since Wimbledon 2005. I liked this post on MTF:

I agree with you totally, when I saw him at the US Open practice session last year he stayed on court at least 10 minutes extra just signing autographs for anyone who wanted one. I saw Federer practice with Henman afterwards and when Federer was done he signed autographs for about 1 minute and then just grabbed his stuff and left. Roddick gets a lot of unfair criticism on this board, what he does on the court is one thing, but off the court in his interviews and conduct with the fans I've always found him to be a class act.

How Andy conducts himself on and off court are differenct. Heck, look at Tursunov. He is the most serious person on court. He won't even crack a smile -- if he has won the tournament!! but watch his No Strings video or just read his blog and you will find a very outspoken and funny person. :dunno:

I'm sure you can find many players who have 'lost' themselves on tour. He is barely at home and lives from hotel to hotel, flight after flight, and knows nohing but restaurants, room service, and suitcases. If you don't know yourself, you'll lose yourself. Maybe he needs to step back and just do some self-analysis and self-criticism and say, "What kind of person have I become and what kind of personality am I portraying to the public?" He needs that imo. That's my $0.02.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2008, 06:01:42 PM »
euroka, you're first post in the Andy quotes thread. :)) I have seen this article, and I hope Andy sees it too. :// Whether he has changed from when he first came on tour, imo, I cannot say because I have been following him since Wimbledon 2005. I liked this post on MTF:

I agree with you totally, when I saw him at the US Open practice session last year he stayed on court at least 10 minutes extra just signing autographs for anyone who wanted one. I saw Federer practice with Henman afterwards and when Federer was done he signed autographs for about 1 minute and then just grabbed his stuff and left. Roddick gets a lot of unfair criticism on this board, what he does on the court is one thing, but off the court in his interviews and conduct with the fans I've always found him to be a class act.

How Andy conducts himself on and off court are differenct. Heck, look at Tursunov. He is the most serious person on court. He won't even crack a smile -- if he has won the tournament!! but watch his No Strings video or just read his blog and you will find a very outspoken and funny person. :dunno:

I'm sure you can find many players who have 'lost' themselves on tour. He is barely at home and lives from hotel to hotel, flight after flight, and knows nohing but restaurants, room service, and suitcases. If you don't know yourself, you'll lose yourself. Maybe he needs to step back and just do some self-analysis and self-criticism and say, "What kind of person have I become and what kind of personality am I portraying to the public?" He needs that imo. That's my $0.02.

That's a very fair response, BGT. I really only want to judge Andy on how he plays and behaves on court and the bottom line is that I don't always like it. That's why I was pleased at your report of the San Jose final. I'm not really interested in what appear to be very smart press conferences and videos. Yes, I do think he should take a look at himself and what he is becoming and try to right it. That's all part of growing up and moving out of the playground where most of us learn those lessons in life early on.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 06:03:27 PM by euroka1 »

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2008, 06:08:45 PM »
Thank you. :) I really try to be subjective when it comes to my faves especially Andy but it can be difficult, espcially when I am the only one standing up for him. :(

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2008, 09:53:43 PM »
I like Roddick too. I might not stand up for him but the only time you see me totally criticize him might be his game - which as a tennis player of course he's subject to any time. but I like him, but I guess it might be getting out of control.. its not like i follow his every move so if the general trend for him as a character seems downhill.. then i am with bgt and euroka.. he needs to reevaluate.

if he thinks just because he's not number one and the best, he's entitled to dips in character and will only clean up when he's getting all the attention being the best on court.. that's just wrong. you have to act like a champion to be a champion. you have to have a champions mentality and character and only then will you be a true champion. not the other way.

Offline Victor

• Tennis God
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2008, 04:28:26 AM »
Thanks BGT for the quotes, theyre awesome
Dont fight about tennis, support tennis.

I just didn't think I would be seeing a clay court tournament where Roddick is still in it and Nadal is out.   -   Dallas -  31 May, RG 2009

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2008, 06:05:54 PM »
Justin Gimelstob defends Andy Roddick from recent Werthiem word-lashing (bolded words are Justin's own)

Yes, Andy Roddick is my friend. But that's not why I'm about to spout off. This is about coming face-to-face with a fellow writer who I believe took it too far -- even though he's the guy who got me this gig.

I'm writing this because a 25-year-old professional tennis player -- one who has already won the U.S. Open, held the No. 1 ranking in the world and has been the stalwart of the reigning Davis Cup champions -- doesn't deserve to be represented as a failure or a malcontent.

He deserves to be appreciated as a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer who continues to strive for excellence on and of the court. This doesn't mean Roddick shouldn't be subjected to criticism -- one of Andy's most admirable qualities is his self-deprecation and acknowledgement of his flaws (e.g., "I've been a brat long before working with Jimmy Connors, so don't blame that on him!").

I understand the symbiotic relationship between athletes and the media. The more attention and exposure an athlete gets, the more marketable he becomes. The better the access the media gets to an athlete, the better the job it can do to paint interesting, entertaining insights.

Star athletes are big targets, and Roddick has had a huge bulls-eye on his chest since winning the U.S. Open in 2003 and then falling short of other people's unrealistic expectations.

All that said, I feel my colleague Jon Wertheim took it too far in this demeaning and overzealous take on Roddick in his Mailbag a few weeks back.

As far as sportswriters go, Jon is in the top echelon. But if you're going to make statements as accusatory and defamatory as "blowing off kids for autographs," "jaded by your existence," "hating the tour," "insufferable" and insinuating that "everyone from ATP personnel to former Grand Slam champs" concur with your assessment that Andy holds himself as the "smartest guy in the room and everyone else is an idiot," you'd better do better research.

For one, referencing Roddick's charitable foundation in the past tense belittles the effort he continues to put into it and minimizes the $2 million dollars he raised this year and the more than $10 million total he has raised for the Andy Roddick Foundation. Andy lives and breathes his foundation and is making a huge impact in people's lives while using the positive side of his celebrity.

The hits he's taking for not playing "dead rubbers" in Davis Cup competition are utterly ridiculous. How about lauding his unparalleled commitment to the Davis Cup in today's era? Would you prefer Andy save his body after a tie is decided? Or have him pull a Roger Federer/Rafael Nadal, and not play at all? Does the NBA ask Dwayne Wade to play exhibition basketball games after deciding the championship?

Don't fault Roddick for a system that is obsolete. Mocking him for celebrating the Davis Cup accomplishment with a few too many drinks? Is that the worst you can say about him? He's 25, not 17. He signs more autographs then any player on tour. To state he "sucked down champagne and blew off the Portland kids" is too harsh. I highly doubt too many tennis fans left unhappy in Oregon last December after hearing them blow the roof off the stadium during the weekend.

And then the jab about the guarantees? Paying star players to play lower-tier ATP events has gone on since the inception of the tour, and trust me, if tournament promoters didn't see value in it, they wouldn't do it. I know for a fact that Andy has turned down huge sums of money while at events just because it would have been dangerous or unprofessional to play hurt or unprepared.

Go take a look at last year's draw in Bangkok, Thailand, where Andy was scheduled to play after another yeomen's effort in Davis Cup. He flew all the way from Sweden to honor the commitment and give himself the best chance to participate in the event.

When his foot injury worsened, he was faced with a precarious decision: a tournament director asking him to take the court in a compromised state in order to earn an enormous guarantee that could buy a house, or pull himself out of the event because deep down he knew his foot was injured and he wouldn't have been able to give a full effort. That's character; that's what defines someone, not the few times your emotions get the best of you on the court because you care so darn much.

I'm not defending Andy's tirade in Australia, but I also know that, until you feel the emotion of competing and the personal nature associated with it, pundits would be best served toning down their criticism. ://

Granted, now that my playing days are over, I've also moved over to the safe haven of the press corps. I can verify that it's a lot more comfortable in the safe confines of the media room than the hyper-competitive world of professional sports.

Jon isn't alone in his criticisms, not by a long shot. So my ire isn't just directed at him, but the institution that believes it has the right to hold athletes to a standard there is no way they themselves could uphold. Even Peter Bodo, a guy who's as respected as Wertheim in the elite of tennis writers, suggested Roddick had become somewhat of a jerk during his now-finished working relationship with Connors. And let's not even start with the wave of criticism Roddick has taken on some of the more prominent tennis blogs out there.

I guess that's just a result of the proliferation of media outlets, where any malcontent with a computer and a wireless signal can post a blog and vent his misguided angst. I just hope those with the best view get to have the greatest influence on public opinion.

Maybe a few of the so-called experts that get to sit high above the court, safely tucked away from the pain and pride of competition should have been in Chatham, N.J., last December when Andy found his own way to my charity event during a snow storm when he found out one of my other marquee players couldn't make his flight because of the weather.

Unsolicited, Andy gave up one of his few days off during the offseason and helped raise more than $300,000 for my own pediatric cancer charity. I guarantee you that every one of the 2,000 people who were there would paint a much different picture of Andy than the one splashed across SI.com's tennis section with the headline, "The Ugly American"

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2008, 07:05:37 PM »
Justin Gimelstob defends Andy Roddick from recent Werthiem word-lashing (bolded words are Justin's own)

Yes, Andy Roddick is my friend. But that's not why I'm about to spout off. This is about coming face-to-face with a fellow writer who I believe took it too far -- even though he's the guy who got me this gig.

I'm writing this because a 25-year-old professional tennis player -- one who has already won the U.S. Open, held the No. 1 ranking in the world and has been the stalwart of the reigning Davis Cup champions -- doesn't deserve to be represented as a failure or a malcontent.

He deserves to be appreciated as a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer who continues to strive for excellence on and of the court. This doesn't mean Roddick shouldn't be subjected to criticism -- one of Andy's most admirable qualities is his self-deprecation and acknowledgement of his flaws (e.g., "I've been a brat long before working with Jimmy Connors, so don't blame that on him!").

I understand the symbiotic relationship between athletes and the media. The more attention and exposure an athlete gets, the more marketable he becomes. The better the access the media gets to an athlete, the better the job it can do to paint interesting, entertaining insights.

Star athletes are big targets, and Roddick has had a huge bulls-eye on his chest since winning the U.S. Open in 2003 and then falling short of other people's unrealistic expectations.

All that said, I feel my colleague Jon Wertheim took it too far in this demeaning and overzealous take on Roddick in his Mailbag a few weeks back.

As far as sportswriters go, Jon is in the top echelon. But if you're going to make statements as accusatory and defamatory as "blowing off kids for autographs," "jaded by your existence," "hating the tour," "insufferable" and insinuating that "everyone from ATP personnel to former Grand Slam champs" concur with your assessment that Andy holds himself as the "smartest guy in the room and everyone else is an idiot," you'd better do better research.

For one, referencing Roddick's charitable foundation in the past tense belittles the effort he continues to put into it and minimizes the $2 million dollars he raised this year and the more than $10 million total he has raised for the Andy Roddick Foundation. Andy lives and breathes his foundation and is making a huge impact in people's lives while using the positive side of his celebrity.

The hits he's taking for not playing "dead rubbers" in Davis Cup competition are utterly ridiculous. How about lauding his unparalleled commitment to the Davis Cup in today's era? Would you prefer Andy save his body after a tie is decided? Or have him pull a Roger Federer/Rafael Nadal, and not play at all? Does the NBA ask Dwayne Wade to play exhibition basketball games after deciding the championship?

Don't fault Roddick for a system that is obsolete. Mocking him for celebrating the Davis Cup accomplishment with a few too many drinks? Is that the worst you can say about him? He's 25, not 17. He signs more autographs then any player on tour. To state he "sucked down champagne and blew off the Portland kids" is too harsh. I highly doubt too many tennis fans left unhappy in Oregon last December after hearing them blow the roof off the stadium during the weekend.

And then the jab about the guarantees? Paying star players to play lower-tier ATP events has gone on since the inception of the tour, and trust me, if tournament promoters didn't see value in it, they wouldn't do it. I know for a fact that Andy has turned down huge sums of money while at events just because it would have been dangerous or unprofessional to play hurt or unprepared.

Go take a look at last year's draw in Bangkok, Thailand, where Andy was scheduled to play after another yeomen's effort in Davis Cup. He flew all the way from Sweden to honor the commitment and give himself the best chance to participate in the event.

When his foot injury worsened, he was faced with a precarious decision: a tournament director asking him to take the court in a compromised state in order to earn an enormous guarantee that could buy a house, or pull himself out of the event because deep down he knew his foot was injured and he wouldn't have been able to give a full effort. That's character; that's what defines someone, not the few times your emotions get the best of you on the court because you care so darn much.

I'm not defending Andy's tirade in Australia, but I also know that, until you feel the emotion of competing and the personal nature associated with it, pundits would be best served toning down their criticism. ://

Granted, now that my playing days are over, I've also moved over to the safe haven of the press corps. I can verify that it's a lot more comfortable in the safe confines of the media room than the hyper-competitive world of professional sports.

Jon isn't alone in his criticisms, not by a long shot. So my ire isn't just directed at him, but the institution that believes it has the right to hold athletes to a standard there is no way they themselves could uphold. Even Peter Bodo, a guy who's as respected as Wertheim in the elite of tennis writers, suggested Roddick had become somewhat of a jerk during his now-finished working relationship with Connors. And let's not even start with the wave of criticism Roddick has taken on some of the more prominent tennis blogs out there.

I guess that's just a result of the proliferation of media outlets, where any malcontent with a computer and a wireless signal can post a blog and vent his misguided angst. I just hope those with the best view get to have the greatest influence on public opinion.

Maybe a few of the so-called experts that get to sit high above the court, safely tucked away from the pain and pride of competition should have been in Chatham, N.J., last December when Andy found his own way to my charity event during a snow storm when he found out one of my other marquee players couldn't make his flight because of the weather.

Unsolicited, Andy gave up one of his few days off during the offseason and helped raise more than $300,000 for my own pediatric cancer charity. I guarantee you that every one of the 2,000 people who were there would paint a much different picture of Andy than the one splashed across SI.com's tennis section with the headline, "The Ugly American"

excelent read.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #136 on: March 10, 2008, 07:29:25 PM »
did you really have to quote the entire article? ;P
Be the change that you seek.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2008, 09:35:52 PM »
He does that A LOT!! :))

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #138 on: March 10, 2008, 09:42:47 PM »

excelent read.

Agreed!!  :)

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2008, 12:26:41 PM »
Instead of writing that article, Werthiem could have become a youtube sensation if he had just done a Tyra Banks and said this:

"Andy, I'm extremely disappoined in you. This is a joke to you. You go over there and you joke and you laugh. This is serious. Do you know all of America is sitting here rooting for you, and you treat this like a joke? Be quiet Andy, be quiet.. what is wrong with you?? STOP IT!!!!!

I have never in my life yelled like this! When my mother yells at me it's because she loves me! I was rooting for, we were all rooting for you!! How dare you?!?!?! Learn something from this. When you go to bed, you lay there, and you take responsibility for yourself. Because nobody is gonna take responsibility for you.

You're rolling your eyes because you're acting like you've heard it all before. You don't know where the hell I've come from, you don't know where the hell I've been from. But I'm not a victim because I grow from it and I learn. Take responsibility for yourself."

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ujj_sGzNbtQ&feature=related[/youtube]