Author Topic: The 'Andy Roddick and Brooklyn Decker-Roddick' Fan Thread  (Read 68404 times)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
Re: QUOTES ON, ABOUT, AND FROM ANDY RODDICK
« Reply #220 on: June 22, 2008, 04:08:38 AM »
From Tennis Channel Page:  Watch out ball-kids!  Andy will be Andy   :lmao: .  JMac has it pretty right.  :))

Despite tantrum, Roddick ready for Wimbledon
6/21/2008 3:08:00 PM

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) -A frustrated Andy Roddick threw his racket at a garbage can Saturday, which may or may not have been a commentary on the state of his game.

``I hate myself,'' he muttered a few points later during a practice match at Wimbledon. ``I just can't stand myself.''

I saw that article... I read the first couple of lines and I was confused about why he did that. :(

Haven't you noticed, BGT, that when Andy is on court, even in practice, there is a constant conversation going on  :argue:, occasionally with the other player (especially if he's young and uppity)  :lifting) , a few times (uncomfortably, even when he's right) with the chair umpire   :Boxing: , sometimes with the players box  :cursing:  but mostly with himself  :crying:  :ranting:  :spot on:. The degree of self-absorption is amazing and this is what makes him entertaining to watch. 
The tennis can get good, too.   :trampoline:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 10:58:07 AM by euroka1 »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #221 on: June 22, 2008, 06:01:27 AM »
Roddick during his pre Wimbledon interview:
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #222 on: June 22, 2008, 06:11:20 AM »
Andy looks good too, Chris, but here the self-confidence does not shine out as with Nole. It's more "That's it, folks". Still, I think he could do well. He's lucked out with the draw. Now there's the weather  :rain: and other peoples injuries and ailments  :sick: :fever: that could help his cause.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #223 on: June 22, 2008, 06:48:45 AM »
Andy looks good too, Chris, but here the self-confidence does not shine out as with Nole. It's more "That's it, folks". Still, I think he could do well. He's lucked out with the draw. Now there's the weather  :rain: and other peoples injuries and ailments  :sick: :fever: that could help his cause.

I must agree with you Euroka- you've picked up on the body language of both perfectly here and Roddick doesn't come across as confident as Djoko and probably not even as he came across 4 year+ ago. He could well make a run to the semi finals here though and then who knows get a rematch with Rafa  :)

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #224 on: June 22, 2008, 10:26:33 PM »
Here are 3 posts on Andy from PerezHilton.com, one of my fave sites. :lust:

See you in the showers!

Richard Gasquet - from France - checks out Andy Roddick's ass after defeating him in the quarterfinals at Wimbledon.

Too bad he lost, but maybe he found new love???

Drop the soap!

Fill in the Blank

Tennis players Serena Williams and Andy Roddick celebrate their achievements at the Espy Awards in Los Angeles on Wednesday night.

Andy Roddick and Serena Williams share a laugh over _______.

Off the Market

Sorry ladies (and fellas) Andy Roddick is a taken man!

The tennis star, who has dated Brooklyn Decker since 2007, is now engaged.

Brooklyn's a model who has appeared in the swimsuit edition of Sports Illustrated. Typical! Everybody wants to bang a model!

The pair met after the tennis star asked his agent to track down her number.

Roddick popped the question last week, and unlike most of Hollywood, they are confirming the news.

Andy confirmed it on his website, stating, "The couple wanted to tell their family and close friends first but good news travels fast. By the time Andy arrived in Miami for the Sony Ericsson Open, the tournament was bustling with the news. With their hectic travel schedules, Andy and Brooklyn plan to enjoy their engagement and will wait to set a wedding date."

Congrats are in order. We give them 2 years. Max.  :innocent:

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #225 on: June 24, 2008, 01:01:52 AM »
Federer wary of Roddick threat

“For me he’s one of the big favorites. I’m happy to see him in the other section of the draw actually,” said five-time Wimbledon champion Roger Federer when asked about the threat Andy posted at the 2008 Championships.

Andy is, of course, a two-time runner-up at Wimbledon – arguably the most prestigious of all tennis tournaments – and was beaten in both finals by World No. 1 Federer in 2004 and 2005.

Andy has enjoyed a largely successful 2008 thus far, albeit blighted by the shoulder injury that cut short what was turning into a promising clay court season.

“I think he’s been playing well,” affirmed Federer. “Clay court season obviously has been disappointing. Not played maybe that much. He actually played okay in Rome, where he reached the semis and everything.

“I think he’s been a little bit under the radar because other guys have been in the spotlight. You know how it is, the ones who win Queen’s usually get the headlines anyway. That’s something where Andy hasn’t been this year after winning it, was it four times maybe as well.”

Andy recorded his first victory in the past 12 meetings against Federer at the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami earlier in the season and, one thing is for certain, Federer does not want to see Andy on the opposite side of the net if he reaches the Wimbledon final.

Stay tuned to andyroddick.com for more news and view from SW19.

Go Andy!

Roddick ready roll against Schwank

Starting on Day 2 of The Championships at Wimbledon, Andy is ready to take on his first round opponent, Argentinean Eduardo Schwank. The world number 6 will take on the world number 60 on Court 1, playing third after a 1pm start, on Tuesday, June 24th.“I’ve only played on this surface once before and that was at Wimbledon last year and I just did some leg work the day before,” noted Schwank in a press conference at Roland Garros earlier this year. Returning to play at the third Slam of the year after stopping home to treat a nagging back injury, Schwank is ready to keep rising in the rankings as he reached his career high (60) today, June 23rd, though not if Andy has anything to say about it.This 22-year-old righty has been on a winning streak this year, winning 18 matches in a row before getting knocked out of main draw at the French Open, thanks to his coach Javier Nalbandian, David’s older brother. He won three qualifiers this year- Bordeaux, Cremone, and Rome- though his lack of experience on grass will most likely prove evident against the two-time Wimbledon finalist.Here are more stats on Eduardo Schwank:

Birthdate: 23-Apr-86
Birthplace: Rosario, Argentina
Residence: Rosario, Argentina
Height: 6’0’’ (182 cm)
Weight: 182 lbs (82 kg)
Plays: Right-handed
Turned Pro: 2005

Stay tuned to AR.com as Andy kicks off his run at SW19 for all of the latest results and information. Go Andy!

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #226 on: June 24, 2008, 09:15:27 PM »
Tuesday, 24 June 2008

Andy Roddick def. Eduardo Schwank 7‑5, 6‑4, 7‑6

Q. You played a pretty scrappy match. Got to be fairly pleased. Good rallies, did some things you wanted to do.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I actually hit the ball probably better than the score indicates. It seems like every game I was at, I was 30 on his serve and kind of cruising on mine. He would come up with something creative a lot of the times.

You know, I actually felt all right.

Q. The guy on the BBC as you walked off the court asked you about cardigans, all that stuff. Everybody has been talking about fashion, both men and women. Do you think that's sort of like, Who cares? Do you enjoy the whole atmosphere here with that?

ANDY RODDICK: I personally don't care. But, you know, if it gets ‑‑ you know, I think any attention drawn to tennis for whatever reason is good. If that means wearing the Mr. Rogers' sweater, whatever else you got, then so be it. I don't know if it would be a good look for me or any of my friends ‑ or relatives (smiling).

Q. Cardigans?

ANDY RODDICK: I'm sure they're the best cardigans out there.

Q. How are you feeling, your shoulder and all that?

ANDY RODDICK: Shoulder feels all right. Yeah, I feel good. Yeah, I don't know if it's going to be perfect. But, you know, I did all right considering. You know, it pulled up all right. Yeah, I mean, probably as good as can be expected.

Q. Is it because you're afraid to really to go into it, or you can actually feel it a little bit sometimes when you're serving?

ANDY RODDICK: No, you know what it is, it's literally for about a six‑week period I served for five days in row, from Davis Cup till then. It's just, you know ‑‑ I think from just not doing something. I didn't feel pain today, so that's good.

Q. Do you feel as a two‑time finalist you're kind of, maybe not forgotton, but not the one that everyone is talking about? Is that good for you?

ANDY RODDICK: You know, I don't know if I've ever been the one that everyone's talking about. You know what, I don't really care. I just want to win matches. You know, to be honest, it's probably nice.

Q. Do you approach first‑round matches at slams any differently than you did, say, four years ago, five years ago?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. I mean, I think, you know, experience helps a little bit. But first‑round matches are always a little uncomfortable at any slam. It's just new surroundings, kind of you normally have the week before to get all hyped up and kind of ‑‑ you know, it's a battle with nerves. It's a battle with kind of anxiety and wanting to get out there and start. So it's never really that comfortable.

Q. You're going to have a second match with Tipsarevic. He's a real pesky player. What makes him so difficult to play?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, he just hits a pure ball. He's able to kind of attack off of both sides. Doesn't really play himself out of points. Has some pretty cool tattoos.

No, I mean, and he actually serves pretty big for someone who is not super tall. If he's playing well, I mean, that's a lot to deal with.

Q. He was a little bit of a problem in that match for a while, wasn't he?

ANDY RODDICK: Sorry?

Q. He was a bit of a problem in that match two years ago.

ANDY RODDICK: There were a lot bit of a problem in lots of matches two years ago (smiling).

I know it was four sets. Yeah, I remember I pretty much scraped by that one. We could have very easily been in a fifth set there.

Q. How do you come to terms with how you exited last year? Was that just one of those crazy matches where you're totally in control and somehow it unravels?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I let it go. I was in control of it and I didn't bear down. After I let him back in he outplayed me and played really well.

But, you know, I gave him that opportunity. I played a sloppy game on my serve. It just shows you at this level, you know, it can start getting away from you. After that game, he kind of just started swinging for the fence and outplayed me.

It's not something you come to terms with. You lose. It's pretty straightforward. But, you know, that one was tough.

Q. Do you learn from that at all? Next time you're a little more leery or tighter in your game when you get in a situation like that?

ANDY RODDICK: I mean, I think you always want to be that way. You know, I think historically I've won a lot of matches I was supposed to win, and I've done a decent job of closing matches out throughout my career. You know, I don't know what you chalk that one up to. It kind of just happened.

Q. Is it hard for you not to point ahead towards that match?

ANDY RODDICK: Towards?

Q. Towards a rematch with Gasquet.

ANDY RODDICK: I haven't even looked at anything so I wouldn't know. Is that like even ‑‑ I don't know even if that's a possibility.

Q. Semis.

ANDY RODDICK: Semis, okay. Well, that's good. I have to get there and he has to beat Rafa. I look forward to it. That would be great (laughter).

Q. Did you speak to Mardy at all after his match?

ANDY RODDICK: I didn't get to see him. We didn't cross paths.

Q. Are you surprised he hasn't done better here over the years?

ANDY RODDICK: Yes and no. I mean, he's had some rough opening matches here. I mean, playing Rafa last year. You know, from what I saw of Richard today he came out and kind of saved all his good tennis for the year and used it today.

I think that was unfortunate. I actually thought they were playing pretty decent tennis. I watched the first set and kind of from then on was kind of peeking in before and after warmup and whatnot.

I am surprised. But, you know, I think the one time he had an opening in the draw I think he had food poisoning against Labadze maybe in the third round or something. That's unfortunate.

But I think it is surprising, because I think his game was or does, should, translate well to grass.

Q. What would you think are some of the keys for you to have a great tournament?

ANDY RODDICK: Winning matches (smiling).

Q. Within your game, what really has to be working?

ANDY RODDICK: I think it has ‑‑ I have to kind of pick and choose my spots to be pretty aggressive. I think I just have to hit the ball pretty firm. I don't know how to explain it better than that.

But kind of, you know, even today on some of the bigger ones, the points that I was winning, I was at least hitting the ball pretty firm. You know, he was having to come up with just, you know, either bail‑out shots that work sometimes. I think that's important, not to let the person get the upper hand.

Q. If you the board and council elections this past weekend...

ANDY RODDICK: The board and council?

Q. Board of directors of the ATP. Where do you think the ATP is headed?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. Really, I haven't paid much attention. I don't know how much stock we can put into it until the Hamburg lawsuit is settled. Personally I think we're in a holding pattern until we figure out what happens with that.

Q. Are you a better player now than when you made the finals in '04 and '05?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, of course I'm going to tell you I'm better (smiling).

No, in '04 I thought I played really well and thought I could have won here and was unfortunate not to. '05, I don't think I played great. I was scrapping through matches. You know, I think, you know, '04 I played well. '05 I kind of had a little bit of luck on my side throughout.

But the way I played so far this year, I'm pretty happy with it, for the most part. I've had some pretty encouraging results, you know, beaten the right players for the first time in a couple years, which is good.

Q. Are you feeling this is the right coaching situation for you, you're more comfortable in this, being with family?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. I mean, it's been that way. I'm lucky enough to have, you know, people that I can use as a sounding board, but I pretty much know what I have to do to win tennis matches. The good thing is I've been able to draw a little bit from some great coaches. So I'm happy right now.

Q. Do you know Jesse Levine pretty well? He won today. What would you say about his game?

ANDY RODDICK: He actually went to my high school. You know, he's a worker, which is refreshing, you know, especially from the young Americans. You know, he gets out there. He traveled to Dubai to hit with Roger for 15 days.

Every time I've asked him to hit, it's almost like he wants to learn. He wants to be a really good player. He's not just content to be kind of traveling around and doing that. You know, you can't really put, you know, a price on that. You can't really teach that. That's just something that's there. That's probably the most impressive thing about him.

Q. Mardy was saying a little while ago that you were skipping the Olympics, carrying the load at the U.S. tournaments.

ANDY RODDICK: What?

Q. The events this summer in the U.S. the US Open Series, that you guys are going to be carrying the load there.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I mean, I think I've been in that position before at some of the ‑‑ not so much the Masters Series events, but some of the other ones. Maybe it's a little bit more intense this year.

You know, frankly, I think I've been in that situation at American tournaments before.

Q. It's a long ways off, but some of the Spaniards were upset at the Davis Cup tie being put in Madrid.

ANDY RODDICK: Did they feel better after watching the French Open final?

Q. I would imagine.

ANDY RODDICK: All right.

Q. Your thoughts? Do you think that is an issue at all? Do you think that will help us in any way in the altitude?

ANDY RODDICK: I mean, if we're calling a spade a spade, we're not going to go in as favorites. There's no question about that. This is probably the most uphill battle we've had in Davis Cup to date. But that being said, I mean, you give us altitude where the ball's traveling a little bit faster, it can only help.

Now, if that can be enough, we'll see. But, you know, I think they're still the clear‑cut favorites. I think the thing that, for lack of a better term would piss me off, is if all the players gave their opinion, and the powers that be, the businessmen or whatever, put no stock in that.

I know we were in a similar situation in '06. We wanted to play Chile on grass. That meant a small venue. When they could have gotten probably 10, 12; we looked at 4 and 5. Luckily for us, they took it into consideration and we were able to get a win.

Q. Does Patrick play a big role in that? Is he the fighter in the boardrooms?

ANDY RODDICK: I'm assuming he is. I mean, I have a pretty good relationship with Arlen Kantarian, too. I know he makes a lot of those decisions. I think there's an open line of communication between myself and him and the rest of the team. I can see why they're upset.

Q. Have you found a difference in how the ball travels in Madrid?

ANDY RODDICK: It does float a little bit. I've never really gotten used to it, to be honest. I've had crappy results in Madrid. But given the option of having the ball scoot a little bit more...

Q. But you felt it scoot a little bit more?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. There's no question. I mean, when you play in thin air, in altitude, it's just like anything. It's like Coors Field in Colorado. You look at the home and away stats, and there's a difference.

Q. Have you heard or read the term "the big three" as it refers to Federer, Nadal and Djokovic?

ANDY RODDICK: " The big three"?

Q. As it's referred to now, in tennis. Do you react saying, No, it's not really like that; tennis is much deeper? Do you think the guys deserve it?

ANDY RODDICK: They've played pretty well, but it goes in waves, dude. You know, people are gonna come in and out. I think Roger and Rafa and Novak have established themselves as the best players so far. There's no question about that.

Now, as far as fun nicknames, headlines and whatever, you know, I don't really care. Everyone's beatable. I've beaten the three of them. But if you're asking if it pisses me off at all, I don't really care. I just want to win tennis matches.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #227 on: June 24, 2008, 09:24:11 PM »
Too much to read, BGT.
I was out of it today. How well did Andy play today in no more than 5 lines, someone who saw?  :confused1:
Comment over at MTF was not altogether favorable even among the fanatics but that place does harbor the extreme.  ..-)

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #228 on: June 24, 2008, 09:27:30 PM »
I don't really see what they saw. I thought he played an average match. I thought his forehand was :lust: It's been a long time since he hit his forehand like that. It was nice to see. :)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #229 on: June 24, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
I don't really see what they saw. I thought he played an average match. I thought his forehand was :lust: It's been a long time since he hit his forehand like that. It was nice to see. :)
Thanks. :))

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #230 on: June 26, 2008, 02:39:54 PM »
Duh, Murrayfan, you know this was the 3rd player thread started. :)~

But, I guess this was the story of the match.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 02:41:25 PM by BGT »

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #231 on: June 26, 2008, 03:50:40 PM »
Janko Tipsarevic def. Andy Roddick 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)

Q. Last year when you talked to us here in this room after your last match you were pretty distraught. What is your feeling right now?

ANDY RODDICK: Uhm, you know, pretty distraught. But, I mean, you know, probably I don't know what I am. Uhm, probably just disappointed.

You know, I literally I mean, you know, any chance I got I pretty much just choked it. So, you know, that's tough to deal with, and that's not something that you really want to do, you know.

So that's probably that's disappointing, you know. It's not an easy thing to say, but it's pretty much what happened.

I could sit here and try to dance around it all night, but, I mean, you guys watched it. It was what it was. It's like you want something so bad you almost squeeze too tight.

Q. Did you feel you had clean shots at those three set points in the fourth?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. The guy hit average serves in the middle of the box at about 90 miles an hour. There's no excuse. You know, if I consider myself, you know, a top player or whatever, you make those. You make those in your sleep.

And I just you know, I not only didn't make them, there was nothing even positive in the misses.

Q. What were you trying to do with the flat footed shot you tapped back into the net?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean, obviously I think you're looking backhand there. I don't know if you go forehand at all. That was probably a good play by him.

Once I was fooled. I was literally trying to make him play. I thought he was pretty tight also. That's not the way you just got to reverse the mentality of putting it in and hoping he's going to miss. I just didn't make anything happen out there tonight. Zero, zero, zero.

Q. The kind of surplus of emotion you talking about something you learned how to handle in Davis Cup. Is this the one spot where it's still hard for you to overcome?

ANDY RODDICK: No, I don't know. I don't know. You know, different scenario. Possibly. I mean, it's twice in a row here that I've completely blanked. '06, I was just playing like crap. But the last two years, I feel like I've actually been hitting the ball decent.

Obviously I didn't have great preparation, but that doesn't have anything to do with dumping the balls that I did tonight.

Q. Do you feel like you played like crap the whole match or just like crap on the big points?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know the stats. I probably won more total points, or I was winning more total points up until the last one or two. I mean, you know, when you feel like you're playing bad and you're still winning more points, I mean, it comes down to the big points.

I played just horrific shots on breakpoints both ways. He was a hundred percent on breakpoints, I was O for 58. I put myself in position to win that match in straight sets, you know. I served huge tonight. You know, I actually returned well in spots.

I don't feel like it's not like it's not the same as '06 where I couldn't have hit the ball into an ocean from the beach. It was just the big moments. I blinked. You know, there's no way of getting around that.

Q. After the match, was it more right away anger at yourself, disappointment, shock?

ANDY RODDICK: No, I don't think it's shock. I mean, you know if you do that you should lose. No one's going to give you anything. Especially he's played well before. I mean, he's capable of playing well, especially when you give him opportunity after opportunity and kind of let him off the hook. I mean, that's not shocking.

Angry and disappointed in myself? Absolutely, yeah.

Q. How do you correct the tightness?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean, it's I think it's tougher when you're not match tough. I kind of came in hoping, you know, hoping it was going to be okay. Obviously, I've won big matches before, you know, so, that probably has something to do with it.

Just letting it go. I think it's a mentality, and I just didn't have it tonight. I was just it was just bad.

Q. What within the match did you try to do to correct it?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean, you know, in the fourth set it was a little better. I started to hit I probably hit the ball better in the fourth set than I did the rest of the match. I just started trying to compete and forget about everything else. You know, it wasn't enough, but it felt a little bit better.

Q. Outside of the breakpoints, you get into the breaker there, it's a whole different match. Take us through the tiebreak there.

ANDY RODDICK: The last one?

Q. Yes.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. I mean, it pretty much comes down to, you know, I missed a forehand. I hit the top of the tape. I missed a backhand. Hit the top of the tape.

You know, that's not the tiebreaker's not what angers me the most. You know, that wasn't horrendous. He actually won that. He hit some good shots up the line. He played a good tiebreaker.

Q. On the third set point, did he surprise you with the serve and volley? Did that have any affect on the return?

ANDY RODDICK: No. I mean, I think you're set in on your return. If he hasn't serve and volleyed the whole match and then he hits 130 and comes in behind it, you're not noticing until, you know, he's already up there. I mean, you're looking to hit a firm return either way.

That makes me upset, because, you know, if someone doesn't do something the whole match, all of a sudden does it on breakpoint, they're panicking, too, and don't want to hit a shot. So I'm noticing all these things and not able to capitalize. It's just frustrating and it's, you know yeah, it's just frustrating.

Q. You said before about just wanting this so much. Can you try to explain to us how much you want this? When you come into this tournament, what are you feeling?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean, it's a weird situation 'cause, you know, by no means am I going to complain about anything that I've been blessed with, but it's almost at this point win another slam or what. You know, that's also a tough you know, it's a tough thing to kind of deal with.

Either you win a slam or what, you're disappointing? You kind of have to deal with that every day. And I think I was trying to press so much, even from practice, just trying to get to a level where I thought I could compete for this title.

You know, kind of try to squeeze it in and play catch up. You know, maybe that even came through tonight, 'cause I was trying to press so much and get ready. You know, it's unfortunate timing for not being prepared. You know, I think I did pretty much everything in my power to be here and to give it a go and to try.

I hope that has something to do with it. I'll probably have a better read on it in a couple days. Right now, you know, you kind of have to try to give it time to settle.

Q. Given that you have set up your whole summer to give yourself the best chance at the US Open, that's putting a lot of eggs in the basket. Will it be hard to not put too much pressure on yourself?

ANDY RODDICK: What's the other option, not to play at all? Then I'm in the same position I was here. I'm gonna have pressure on myself regardless. And it's not from anybody else, it's from within. You know, I want to win another slam and I want to, you know I could probably coast and not train and be a top 10 player and kind of have a cushy lifestyle and be set for as long as I need to be set for. I'm happy as I can be away from losing tennis matches.

But I don't know if I'll be I don't know if that appeals to me. I don't know if I'm satisfied with that. So, you know, you do what you can and you kind of try to put yourself in that position.

Historically I've played well when I've had a lot of matches going into a slam.

Q. So you think that is a fair question we should be asking you? Win another slam or what? Or that is your feeling inside?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, I put the analogy to John and Doug. We were just talking in there. I said, You know, when you've seen the Rolling Stones from the front row, and then all of a sudden you're like, you know, seven or eight rows back and there's a really tall guy in front of you waving his hands and screaming, you can't see much, it's not going to be as good as the other show.

That's kind of what you're going to remember. Maybe you got to kind of get some baby steps to get back there. I know I was in that position in '06. Kind of almost started enjoying every single match I won again because it was void. It's a little bit of a different situation.

I mean, you can ask whatever you want. I'm telling you, you know, that's where my head's at. I want to win another slam. You know, if I'm being honest with you guys, and if you guys are being honest with me, if I go and win a tour event, what are you guys going to say? Who cares?

Q. You've been on top before, so right.

ANDY RODDICK: I'm aware of that. I'm aware of the situation I'm in.

Q. Taking the Rolling Stones analogy a step further, is it sometimes better to get that seat in the front row when you're a little bit older than getting it when you're younger?

ANDY RODDICK: I wouldn't trade anything I've been through. I know you guys probably aren't going to believe any of that, but I wish you would, because I've been pretty much brutally honest throughout my entire career.

Tennis is hugely important because it's what I do and it's what I take pride in. If I'm going to sit here and tell you, you know, would I have liked to have struggled, you know, early on and then come through in this moment of glory later on?

I don't know. Is that even worth talking about? It's not a realistic situation. You know, we're not Peter Pan, the Sta Puff Marshmallow Man or whatever. We're not living in a fantasy world. I'm very proud of what I've accomplished so far in my career. I wouldn't trade it.

Q. Have you seen the Stones?

ANDY RODDICK: I saw them in Austin one time.

Q. What row were you in?

ANDY RODDICK: I was at the bar bunny. No, I don't know. I wasn't in the front row.

Q. If you do get to the front row, how do you think that will change things?

ANDY RODDICK: As far as what?

Q. As far as wanting to win another Grand Slam, how do you think that would feel?

ANDY RODDICK: Oh, I mean, it would be it would probably be I don't know. You know, tennis is different, too. It's ups and downs. I think a couple days removed I'll have a little bit more perspective.

You know, playing well in Dubai, winning those matches, the feeling you have for that 10 seconds after I beat Roger for the first time in however long, you know, those are the good moments that should counteract ones like this.

It probably would be better than anything I've felt in tennis before. Maybe Davis Cup along those lines. That was like a couple days of euphoria after that. But it would probably feel better than the US Open just because, you know, kind of took a lot more to get to that point if it does happen.

Q. It was kind of a bizarre day. Davenport pulls out, Blake loses, Maria gets upset, you. Do you ever get a sense of that, or are you within your own world, all these other things are happening around me?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't think they have an effect on each other, if that's what you're asking. Sometimes it happens. Sometimes you have favorites through to the semis. It's the way sports is. It's not going to be the first day of upsets. It's certainly not going to be the last time it's happened.

Q. You've given up the Olympics to get ready for the US Open and hard court season. Is it going to be easy to stay loose playing the Open with that kind of a decision behind you, to go in there and feel like you can play?

ANDY RODDICK: No, I mean, let's not get nuts. I mean, I've played plenty of US Opens and have done just fine. No, I mean, I want to be prepared, and I want to be you know, physically and mentally.

You know, when I've done well at the Open in the past, I've played a pretty heavy schedule and a lot of matches going in.

I think if you run the track record, when I've done well leading up, I've normally done well in a slam. It's kind of like, you know, I don't know, something you do every day. If you don't do it for six weeks it's gonna take you a second.

Unfortunately, my second takes place out there on Centre Court at Wimbledon. But playing a lot of matches going into a slam and playing weeks has worked before, so that's the best way I know how to go about it.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #232 on: June 26, 2008, 06:03:50 PM »
Thanks BGT  :(. Again a lot to read but I can't take these ramblings seriously and besides, he was in no fit state to make them. Hope I can catch the match later or at least read what the pundits have to say.
I really thought he would breeeze to the semis.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #233 on: June 26, 2008, 09:36:58 PM »
From the Wimbledon site:

Andy Roddick has never been one for mincing his words. And this was no exception. He may have suffered a 6-7, 7-5, 6-4, 7-6 second round defeat to Janko Tipsarevic, but the Nebraska-born boy revealed afterwards that he is not giving up just yet. He wants to win another Grand Slam.

Unfortunately, the Wimbledon 2008 title will not be it. His problem was, perhaps, simply wanting it too much. A two-time Wimbledon finalist and last year’s quarter finalist, Roddick admitted that he choked on every opportunity he got.

"That’s tough to deal with and that’s not something you really want to do," Roddick said. "I could sit here and try to dance around it all night but it was what it was. It’s like you want something so bad you almost squeeze too tight."

The 25-year-old described his shots on breakpoints as "horrific" and said there was "no excuse" for not making returns off 90 mile-an-hour serves that fell in the middle of the box.

"It's not the same as 2006 where I couldn't have hit the ball into an ocean on the beach," he said. "It was just the big moments. I blinked. You know, there's no way of getting around that."

Even though A-Rod was clearly disappointed — describing his performance as "just bad" — he will dust himself down and prepare for the US Open. For him, "coasting along as a top 10 player" doesn’t really appeal and he yearns to win another major event.

"I want to win another slam. If I'm being honest with you guys, and if you guys are being honest with me, if I go and win a tour event, what are you guys going to say: 'Who cares'?"

Tipsarevic, on the other hand, believes he won simply by taking his chances, whereas Roddick didn't.

"He had a lot of breakpoints, I think 11 or 12, four set points even in the whole match and he didn't use them. The good thing for me is he didn't make me play too much on these set points and breakpoints. He was making unforced errors."

"I could see that he was tight, and this is one of the reasons why, especially in the important moments, I made him play. I didn't try to hit great shots like impossible down the line shots or something like that."

For Tipsy, as he is known, the victory only began to sink in when he was back in the locker room when, "your emotions are down and your brain starts to work".

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #234 on: June 29, 2008, 05:47:07 AM »
The Andy Roddick vocabularly was certainly in full swing during an interview after his match with Tipsarevic, just take a look at this little piece I've found  :))

"For a guy who has hosted Saturday Night Live in America, Andy Roddick was left stumbling somewhat after his shock defeat to Janko Tipsarevic.
In fact we were treated to what may be a record 47 'You knows', 16 'I don't knows' and 18 'I means.'
A quick taste to the transcript of A-Rod's words "Uhm, you know, pretty distraught. But, I mean, you know, probably I didn't know what I am."

:rofl_2:

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #235 on: July 02, 2008, 08:24:29 PM »
Here is Andy's summer schedule:

WTT in St. Louis -- July 12
Canada Masters -- July 21
Cincy Masters -- July 29
Countrywide Classic in LA -- August 4
Legg Mason Tennis Classic in DC -- August 11
US Open in NYC -- August 25

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #236 on: July 02, 2008, 09:29:27 PM »

Cincy Masters -- July 29

So he's going to try to rack up the tournaments while the rest of the 'major players' are going to the Olympics, huh! :rofl_2:

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #237 on: July 02, 2008, 10:00:44 PM »
Not so sure. He's skipping Indy and playing LA and he didn't play that last year.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #238 on: July 03, 2008, 01:36:07 AM »

Cincy Masters -- July 29

4 straight weeks of tournaments then- that'll be tough if he goes deep in them all and there's a lot of heat and humidity at a couple of those places.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #239 on: July 03, 2008, 11:30:02 AM »
Doesn't affect Andy as he LOVES heat and humidity. He is one of the players who doesn't want the heat policy for the AO.