Author Topic: The 'Andy Roddick and Brooklyn Decker-Roddick' Fan Thread  (Read 68653 times)

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
Re: QUOTES ON, ABOUT, AND FROM ANDY RODDICK
« Reply #260 on: July 29, 2008, 07:30:29 PM »
He'll be back soon enough

Stiff neck forces Roddick from Cincinnati (Roundup)

Jul 30, 2008, 0:15 GMT

Cincinnati, Ohio - Andy Roddick's hard-luck season of injury continued on Tuesday as the sixth seed pulled out just moments before an opening match at the Cincinnati Masters.

The US player, who won the title in 2003 less than a month before claiming his only Grand Slam trophy at the US Open, has been bothered since May by a shoulder problem.

He later confirmed that his latest niggle was likely the result of nothing more than poor sleeping posture.

'I fell asleep and woke up, and I still had the lights on in my room,' Roddick said. 'I just kind of passed out. We're guessing it was in the wrong position or whatnot. I woke up this morning, and something in my neck and kind of any activity is causing it to flare up.'

Roddick was unable to take to the court for his second-round match against Philipp Kohlschreiber, leaving the German to face South Korean lucky loser Jun Woong-Sun, ranked 252.

'I can hardly look from side to side,' said Roddick, who missed the French Open with the injury and won only one round at Wimbledon. 'It kills me that I have to walk off without playing.'

He called the ailment a 'fluke thing.'

'It's terrible,' Roddick said. 'I hate not playing, and I hate withdrawing from tournaments. It's the most hollow feeling, even when you have to walk off because you're hurt, and you know people have come to watch you play.'

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #261 on: July 29, 2008, 07:31:52 PM »
Was his lady friend with him? :innocent:

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #262 on: July 29, 2008, 07:33:06 PM »

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #263 on: July 29, 2008, 07:33:21 PM »
Was his lady friend with him? :innocent:

If she was... :ranting:

But I can understand his injury. One time a few years ago, I was laying down on my floor with my feet up on the dresser watching TV, even though I was exhausted. I fell asleep and woke up a few hours in pain because my body had been contorted for so long.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 07:35:50 PM by BGT »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #264 on: July 29, 2008, 07:34:27 PM »
Poor Roddick.  He has had some weird injuries this year...

Offline TheEternalCowboy

• Tennis God
« Reply #265 on: August 03, 2008, 11:46:49 PM »
Posted this in the Cincinnati thread, but it seems like it warrants a mention in here:

Interesting Andy Roddick related...not sure what to classify this as... junk, I suppose.  A friend of mine works at the Children's Hospital in Cincinnati, where the Monday before he was supposed to start, Andy visited.  My friend was relating the fact that he gave a child with meningitis a big hug, which my friend thought was a bit sketchy, since meningitis is apparently very contagious.  Fast forward to Tuesday, where Andy Roddick pulls out of this first match due to neck stiffness.  Guess what one of the symptoms are meningitis is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meningitis

"Severe headache is the most common symptom of meningitis (87 percent) followed by nuchal rigidity ("neck stiffness", found in 83%)."

So there you go, proof positive Andy Roddick couldn't play because he loves children.  Well,maybe not proof positive, but I thought it was an interesting coincidence.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #266 on: August 04, 2008, 12:50:58 AM »
From Deb on MTF:

By now, everyone had heard that Roddick was practicing at 4, so I settled in under some shade. Andy was in an unusually good mood today, joking with his brother and trainer Doug and some buddy that was on court with them. Good news is that his backhand looked really damn good, spot on, low over the net, deep in the court, nice and flat - good angles and down the line in the corners - better than I can remember seeing it, to be honest. Where that is during his matches lately is beyond me. Bad news (for his fans anyway) is that he didn't hit any serves or overheads at all, and he didn't even hit many normal forehands - he was slicing and squashing most of them especially after the first few minutes of his practice (see videos). At one point fairly early in the practice he hit a few really oddly like with his left arm still against his body (he was messing around) and he joked with John that the form was terrible but "at least it doesn't hurt when I hit it this way".... He was also talking to Doug during the practice more than I remember him usually doing, and he kinda stretched his neck a few times. so something is still definitely not right

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #267 on: August 08, 2008, 12:07:28 PM »
OK... something looks different, and it's not the outfit.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #268 on: August 08, 2008, 02:19:08 PM »
OK... something looks different, and it's not the outfit.

OK... what? :confused1:

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #269 on: August 08, 2008, 02:43:05 PM »
His left arm looks different. Usually, when he throws up the ball, the left palm is flat in the air.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #270 on: August 08, 2008, 03:44:21 PM »
His left arm looks different. Usually, when he throws up the ball, the left palm is flat in the air.

Oh.... only a die-hard Roddick fan would have noticed that.  Good job BGT! :))

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #271 on: August 16, 2008, 07:09:36 AM »
“I have to be very alert (against Troicki),” Andy noted in his press-conference after defeating Schwank. “He can be streaky within a match… you don’t know what’s coming.” Even though Andy served the Serbian a bagel to take the first set, 6-0, Andy did not foresee the end of his run here at the 2008 Legg Mason Tennis as he was defeated in three sets, 6-0, 2-6, 4-6.

“I have to bear down when I’m cruising,” Andy noted in his post-match press conference. After cruising to a one-set lead in 21 minutes, Andy let up on the throttle when he should have floored it. Triocki appeared distraught, off target on all his shots, and self-defeated, though he was just as Andy predicted he would be- unpredictable. His frazzled unforced errors came to an end when Andy’s forehands started sailing into the net instead of onto the baseline, and the 22-year-old broke Andy to lead 2-1. At Andy’s next turn up to serve, his forehand continued to land “outside the box” and Triocki capitalized by breaking the defending champ for the second time, taking a 4-1 lead. The two players held a few very heated games, and Triocki took the set 6-2.

“He played well in the third,” Andy noted of the eventual victor. Keeping up momentum, Troicki pushed Andy immediately to a break point, though Andy answered back by forcing the error and shouting “C’mon” with a fist pump to hold. An hour rain delay gave both players a chance to tune up and turn up the head, as Triocki easily held at 1-1 and then Andy started running him with a firepower forehand offense. At 3-3, Andy’s forehand was hot and cold as was his serving, but two cold moves gave the advantage and the game to the Serbian. As Andy diligently tried to turn up the heat and change up his shots, the drop shot was his favorite of the night, Troicki would go on to earn double match points and take the “W” when Andy’s yellow bullet just missed it’s white sideline target.

“I was backwards, hitting my backhand well and missing my forehand and serve tonight,” Andy closed with. “It isn’t a way I want to go out… but it was good preparation (for the US Open) and I’m looking forward to a week of just practice.” As Andy packs his bags to go home, he knows exactly what he needs to do to round out his game for his favorite Slam of the year.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #272 on: August 23, 2008, 12:32:12 AM »
Q&A with Andy Roddick

Story Highlights

* Roddick doubts Nadal will outlast Federer’s reign at the top
    * Roddick says his impending marriage can only help his career

Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font
Andy Roddick works hard for your questions.
Andy Roddick works hard for your questions.
Gustavo Caballero/Getty Images
ADVERTISEMENT

By Helin Jung, SI.com

NEW YORK -- Earlier this week, SI.com asked readers to submit their questions for Andy Roddick. Roddick, who has been gearing up for the U.S. Open, received hundreds of inquiries. At last night's BNP Paribas Taste of Tennis event in Manhattan, he stepped away from the grill to answer your questions.

What are your top goals from now until you retire?
-- Jason Mauss of Surprise, Ariz.

Well, I'd love to win another Slam. I want to keep being successful in Davis Cup and in playing for the U.S.. If I can just stay consistent, that's what I want to do.

You seem to sweat more than most other players on tour. Do you have to regrip during matches or do you just switch to new racquets?
--Hunter Haisten, Chelsea, Ala.

There's a lot of toweling off in between points, and a lot of trying to hydrate before matches. Unfortunately, that's something that's out of my control, so you kind of just deal.

Your 2003 Australian Open quarterfinal against Younes El Aynaoui is often regarded as one of the greatest tennis matches in history. What is the best tennis match you've ever seen?
-- Gregory Mathews, Milwaukee

I think it just happened. I think it was Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer at Wimbledon this year. It was amazing. It seemed like it was all anyone was talking about for a couple of days, which was nice, considering it happened in Europe. Coming home and hearing people excited about it was a great thing.

What do you think of Rafael Nadal as the new top-ranked player in the world? Do you think he'll outlast Federer's consecutive 237 weeks at the top?
--Aida Mendoza, Manila, Philippines

No. To say anybody would be No. 1 for four years is a tall ask. Rafa, if anyone, is certainly capable. I definitely am happy for him and I think he deserves it. He'd been No. 2 for a while and you know had had a better career than a lot of guys who'd achieved No. 1, including myself. He deserved a spot, and I think everyone's generally pretty happy for him.

How do you think getting married will affect you?
--Clifton LaSalle, Scituate, Mass.

[Laughs] I'm really happy in my personal life right now. It's nice to have something solid and I see that can only help as far as my job goes.

Andy, what's your take on the Blake/Gonzalez controversy at the Olympics? What would you have done if you were in either guy's shoes?
--Daniel Koontz, Bloomingdale, NJ

I've given away matches before, reversing calls against myself, so I can understand both sides, but I know Fernando said he doesn't know if the ball hit his racquet or not, I feel like that's something you would know one way or the other. If I stepped on your foot, you would feel it. I can understand the frustration, but it is what it is.

Much was made of Phelps' expansive diet at the Olympics. Do you eat differently during a tournament?
-- Mia, Washington, D.C.

No. I don't spend 36 hours in a pool a week either. [Laughs] I think if you start eating well during a tournament, it's probably too late. It becomes more of a lifestyle as opposed to when you're playing a tournament. You pretty much have to eat well all the time.

You've lost some weepers in finals in your career, notably to the Fed Express. What one match's outcome would you most want to change?
--Jonathan Scott, Indianapolis

It's tough. I would take any of the three Grand Slam finals I've lost to him. In 2004 at Wimbledon, I felt like I was the closest. Probably the one I think about the most. I felt like I was getting the best of him, and then the rain delay happened and it kind of changed the momentum of the match. That's probably the one I would want back.

It's impossible not to think of those matches. When one of your dreams is staring you in the face and you're this close, and you don't get it, you think about it. I realize my worst day is a lot of people's best day, so I think it may be disrespectful to dwell on it too long. That being said, being a competitor, you want to play well, so I normally am pissed off for a few hours and then settle down a little bit.

Can you find the strength within yourself to not break racquets anymore and give them to underprivileged children?
--Tamille Hawkins, Washington, D.C.

That's a good question. To be fair, a lot of the racquets that I break do go to various charities. For some reason, people actually like the broken ones sometimes. Two birds, one stone. I give them all away. I don't really have much use for them after the fact.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #273 on: August 23, 2008, 04:36:49 PM »
BGT has so many "men" to keep up with that she's letting Andy's thread go to pieces.  He doesn't have that many pages compared to some of the other players so I thought I'd help her out and post Andy's pre-interview for her...(from the US Open site):

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Special place, I would think, for an American player to be back in the US Open playing in New York. Your thoughts on this particular Grand Slam?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, it's obviously the one if you're an American you look forward to the most every year. There's had also a certain energy unlike any other tournament. It's probably not only a tennis tournament but an event, things like today going on outside. The things here going on here. It is a special place for me.

Q. Having been a champion here, Roger was talking about the fact that while he's been not getting the results this year as he has in the past, but having the experience of, you know, getting it done, is always psychologically a big help coming in. Is it for you?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I mean, it was a little while ago when I won, so you'd like to think it's still relevant, but who knows.

I think the biggest thing about New York is playing a night session. It's a different animal than any other tournament. I feel comfortable in the fact that I've been in most situations here at this tournament, good and bad.

So I'd like to think I'm ready for it.

Q. How are you? How do you feel you're playing right now?

ANDY RODDICK: Getting better. I've actual enjoyed having a practice week that's been healthy. I've kind of been going from not playing and then jumping straight into tournaments, which isn't ideal, you know, but you've got to kind of play the hand you're dealt.

So it's been a good week, and, you know, hopefully I'll be there when the final comes around.

Q. You said you've been having some training. How about the two weeks where you weren't playing in the US Open Tour instead of playing Beijing, would that help you here where you had some good results?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I played ‑‑ I probably played average in those two events, but it definitely helped me get back into match shape, you know. I don't feel like I was in great shape going into LA. I'd been off for a little while.

And even just playing points in the rhythm of a match, I think that helped.

Q. How does your shoulder feel now?

ANDY RODDICK: It feels fine. Yeah, it's good.

Q. How do you feel about Santoro in the first round?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I mean, it's tricky. He doesn't really play like anybody else on tour, that's for sure. He's certainly experienced and is not going to be intimidated by any situation.

When I've done well in Slams, I've started off with tough draws before. So, you know, you have to be ready to play from the word "go" here.

Q. In terms of travel and jet lag, is there any advantage to having skipped Beijing over a lot of the guys who went?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. There's a week in between, but I just think for my sake, being able to get two tournaments, getting matches in, and like I said, at least playing my way into shape a little bit after the injuries, was probably a good move as far as my tennis goes.

Q. You talked about the difference of the Open compared to the other Slams. Do you think, Nadal never having gotten past the quarterfinals, do you think it's sort of a disadvantage? I'm not saying he's the clear‑cut favorite, but how do you view the fact that Nadal hasn't done well here and everyone's still saying he's clear cut?

ANDY RODDICK: I think it's deserved. I mean, you judge it based on the leadup events, I think, and there's no doubt he's been the best player on tour this year so far.

If anything, he's going to look at it as a challenge that he wants to overcome. He's playing the best tennis, you know. For us to sit here and speculate about what it is about New York, I think you have to hear that from him.

Q. Do you think we can expect another Grand Slam from you here?

ANDY RODDICK: I couldn't hear that.

Q. Do you expect another Grand Slam from you this year?

ANDY RODDICK: From me this year? Well, I'm going to have to start working if that's the case. I certainly hope so.

Q. As an astute observer of the game as you are, can you talk by a little bit about Roger? He's is the three‑time defending champion. I know Nadal is playing as well as he is. But can you assess Roger a little bit coming into this tournament, and what kind of chances do you give him?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, I think he's got as good a shot as anybody. I think it's tough to play perfect for five years in a row. He's only done it four years in a row.

You know, I think the biggest thing ‑‑ I don't know if he's thinking sometimes out there, but it's a tough situation when you feel like you're getting ‑‑ you've made 17 straight semifinals in Slams or whatever it is now, and if you're not thinking about it, being asked about it every day, it's bound to go into your head a little bit.

But I think one big result and it's turned right around for him. I know pretty much every player except for one that would take his bad year. So I think you have to use a little bit of perspective. He's created a bit of a monster for himself.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #274 on: August 23, 2008, 05:59:21 PM »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #275 on: August 23, 2008, 06:02:12 PM »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #276 on: August 23, 2008, 06:03:11 PM »

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #277 on: August 26, 2008, 08:52:37 PM »
In the market

Andy Roddick's brother John will no longer coach him, and the top-ranked U.S. player will look to hire another full-time mentor this fall, according to his agent, Ken Meyerson, who called the parting of the ways "a normal, healthy development. … John's been traveling for 3½ years. He has an academy in San Antonio. He has a life. There were issues after a couple of matches, but there's no animosity.'' Roddick will work with U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe through the Davis Cup semifinals late next month, then assess who's available in the coaching ranks and possibly have a trial run during the indoor season. But Meyerson said he'll urge his client not to rush. "Andy's at a critical juncture of his career, and I don't think he should be piecemealing it,'' he said. "I want him to believe he can win these big events. It's a little trickier now, because he's older, and the old 'you can do it' speech doesn't work anymore.'' Roddick has benefited from the counsel of Tarik Benhabiles, Brad Gilbert and most recently, Jimmy Connors, with whom he split amicably earlier this year. John Roddick is in New York but has not been present at his brother's practice sessions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/notebook?page=notebook/tennis08262008[/

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #278 on: August 30, 2008, 01:10:26 AM »
This post is going in 2 threads. When I wake up in the morning, I'll do a nicer tribute with pictures to go with the story:

Twenty-six years ago today, a son was born to Blanche and Jerry Roddick. They named him Andrew Stephen.

He was an active boy, playing tennis and high school basketball. He lost to his older brother, John, often until he grew two feet and was able to blast serves. :gleam: He grew up with Mardy Fish and befriended James Blake, Robby Ginepri, and Justin Gimelstob. He admired Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi, practicing with them and getting advice. The greatest piece of advice came from Andre Agassi who said that the only thing he regretted about his career was not starting his foundation early enough. With that came the Andy Roddick Foundation -- Helping Children Today for Tomorrow. :gleam:

Andy won his first two career titles back to back at Atlanta and Houston in 2001 at age 18 on red clay. :)~ Andy was known as a up and comer -- the future of American tennis -- after reaching his first Masters final at Toronto in 2002. He reached his first grand slam semifinal at the 2003 Australian Open, winning the longest match in AO history in the quarterfinals. Unfortunately because of that, he had no energy left and lost easily in the semis. He then lost to, what would be many, Federer in his first Wimbledon semifinal.

Andy then dominated the summer season, sweeping both summer masters and avenging his loss to Federer. Andy went on to the USO, saving a MP on route to blasting his way to his first grand slam title. Shortly thereafter, he topped the rankings and ended the year as #1.

He reached the Wimbledon final in 2004 and 2005 and the USO final in 2006 losing to Federer on all three occasions. He is one of just two active players to have finished in the top 10 for 5 straight years (Federer). He is also one of three players to have won titles on all four surfaces: clay, grass, hard court, and carpet (Federer and Gasquet).

Andy has become extremely popular because of his boyish charm and good looks as well as record holding serve at 155 MPH. He has been on many lists including 25 Hottest Under 25, 100 Hottest Hotties, and People's Hottest Bachelors.

In his personal life, many ho's have come and gone but only one woman has managed to beat his bachelor's ways and keep her for his own. Just days before beating Federer for the second time in his career, he proposed to Brooklyn Decker, promising a long engagement. There is no date.

Andy has lost only one match on his birthday at the USO (first round USO 2005) but has won all others. August 30 seems to be a lucky day for him. So happy 26th birthday Andy and have fun today. :Happy-Birthday!: :make-a-wish: :ice cream: :winner: :toot:

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #279 on: August 30, 2008, 01:47:05 AM »
Quote from: bgt
In his personal life, many ho's have come and gone but only one woman has managed to beat his bachelor's ways and keep her for his own. Just days before beating Federer for the second time in his career, he proposed to Brooklyn Decker, promising a long engagement. There is no date

:rofl_2:  :rofl_2: