Author Topic: The 'Andy Roddick and Brooklyn Decker-Roddick' Fan Thread  (Read 68449 times)

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
Re: QUOTES ON, ABOUT, AND FROM ANDY RODDICK
« Reply #280 on: August 30, 2008, 10:48:14 AM »
I knew you'd like that. :))

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #281 on: September 11, 2008, 11:26:20 PM »
This isn't really a quote on, about, or from Andy but ti's about him and I didn't want to start a new thread. :)~

I graduated from school in May 2007 and knew what I wanted most: an autographed poster from Andy benefiting his foundation. There was one I wanted in particular: the Committment poster.

I REALLY wanted that poster so I asked one of my cousins to get it for me. She said she would but kept putting if off until they ran out. :crying: By then, I had bought a few things from Andy's shop, a t-shirt for myself and my brother and an ARF umbrella. My umbrella broke during my niece's graduation this year so it was gone too. :crying:

So you can imagine my surprise when I got an ARF package in the mail containing an umbrella and a Commitment poster. I had told her a while ago that I didn't want the autographed one because I wanted to try and get it autographed myself. :cool:

But it was just kinda funny that I got my graduation present 16 months after my graduation. :rofl_2:

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #282 on: September 12, 2008, 09:13:39 AM »
Cool!   It was not autographed right? 

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #283 on: September 12, 2008, 01:25:18 PM »
No, that's my goal for Miami and the USO next year. ;)

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #284 on: September 29, 2008, 12:59:30 PM »
PICS :uh:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #285 on: September 29, 2008, 07:31:49 PM »
Well this isn't about Andy but about his friend Marty so I didn't want to start a 'new' thread just to report this... but Congratulations to Marty (so... is Andy next?)

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #286 on: October 01, 2008, 12:47:53 PM »
I didn't know Andy missed the wedding. :( But this is a nice article. :))

The Net Post: all hail Andy Roddick, the nice guy of the ATP Tour who just keeps giving

It is about time that Andy Roddick's contribution to men's tennis in the past nine years on the ATP Tour received full and unequivocal respect and the Net Post does not mean it should happen now just because of the gesture, when he lifted the China Open yesterday - the 26th title of his career - to donate $25,000 of his prize money to those still suffering after May's catastrophic earthquake in the country's Sichuan Province. He has deserved his panegyric for a long time.

"I would really like to contribute a part of my money to those families affected, to those who lost everything they had, suffered painful injuries or lost loved ones in the earthquake," said Roddick, who defeated Dudi Sela of Israel, 6-4, 6-7, 6-3. "It is my great honour to be in Beijing to work with Chinese Tennis Association to assist those kids who are in need. It is an athlete's privilege and responsibility to give back."

One would expect nothing more from Roddick who is 26 now, has been a grand slam champion, the world No1, has inspired his country to win the Davis Cup, has withstood the slings and arrows of being, at various times, the "Next Big Thing", the "It Man" and the "When Is He Going To Win Another Major?" guy of American tennis, and done it all with a sense of duty and humour that often goes either ignored or misinterpreted.

He has ridden the good times and the not so good and maintained a view of the life he enjoys with more wise sense than people twice his age. No-one has had more reason to take at face value Kipling's words about triumph and disaster that look down upon him every time he enters Wimbledon's Centre Court. His record at the All England championships is played 36, won 28, he has lost in two finals (both to Roger Federer) and one semi final (also to Federer). He wants to win it very badly indeed.
Related Links

* The Net Post: questions need answering after Davis Cup exit

* End of the world for Britain in Davis Cup

* Murray forced to carry flag alone

This year, Roddick was beaten in the second round on Centre Court by an inspired Janko Tipsarevic of Serbia, to which his response was profound. The Net Post quotes him verbatim: "I literally, you know, any chance I got I pretty much choked it. That's tough to deal with, and that's not something that you really want to do. It's not an easy thing to say, but it's pretty much what happened. I could sit here and try to dance around it all night but you guys watched it. It was what it was. It's like you want something so bad you almost squeeze too tight."

If he is guilty of anything, it has perhaps been that he has wanted too badly. It was true when he was a junior - the first time the Net Post came into contact with him was when he won the US Open boys in 2000 - and found losing very hard to cope with. It takes some time to rationalise that that may not happen, because you tell yourself you can be the best, there is that "American" thing of bolder, brasher, bigger, you have a huge serve and a thumping forehand and everyone else should bend their knee.

Well, Roddick has had to bend his for some time now but he keeps coming back for more. No quitter he. Catching snatches of his performance for the US against Spain's David Ferrer in the opening day singles of the world group semi final in Madrid last week (a match he lost 8-6 in the fifth set) one was reminded of Roddick's courage and resilience, of his attempt to navigate his way to a victory when the odds were stacked against him, of the regard in which he is held by his team-mates and captain.

He has had his share of intrigue with coaches, Tarik Behabiles, who was his first as a professional, Brad Gilbert, John Roddick, his elder brother, Jimmy Connors and now as he searches for someone else to help him stay at the top (he has been ranked inside the top ten player but all but eight weeks since January, 2003), it is clear he does not see the end of the road by a long shot.

Typical of Roddick that he arrived in Beijing a little saddle sore, both from the defeat to Spain and the long haul flight to China but immediately requested to the tournament that he did not need the four bodyguards they had assigned to chaperone him around the player areas of the tournament, which reflects how much respect he has for the other guys on tour. That he has won his two biggest events this year, in Dubai and Beijing when he was pretty much out on his feet, speaks to his character traits. His ambition for the rest of the year is to reach a fifth Masters Cup - with his victory in China he leap-frogged Ferrer into sixth spot in the ATP Race - and there is no doubt that the sport and especially our American cousins want him there too, because without him, tennis in the United States would take an awful lot of selling.

Roddick could have had a nice, cosy weekend, sipping champagne, living the good life. One of his best friends on the tour, his fellow American Mardy Fish, was married yesterday and Roddick would love to have attended but his playing schedule just didn't allow it, that he had spoken to Fish about it and his friend understood. As well he should.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #287 on: October 01, 2008, 12:53:27 PM »
A+ for the week BGT on the pics and the article.

There are a few things that bug me about every player, but the more I learn about Andy, the more I like him both as a person and a tennis player. :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #288 on: October 01, 2008, 01:06:33 PM »
How anybody could call Andy a jerk is beyond me. He just seems like such a nice guy. Very humble and down to earth and especially giving.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #289 on: October 01, 2008, 01:32:06 PM »
How anybody could call Andy a jerk is beyond me. He just seems like such a nice guy. Very humble and down to earth and especially giving.
The incident at the end of his match with Santoro (this years Open) didn't win him many fans.... :(
CONK da ball!!!

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #290 on: October 01, 2008, 03:15:23 PM »
The incident at the end of his match with Santoro (this years Open) didn't win him many fans.... :(

I still don't see that Andy did anything wrong. He's very deferential and respectful of his opponents, especially players like Federer or Santoro.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #291 on: October 01, 2008, 04:18:18 PM »

I still don't see that Andy did anything wrong. He's very deferential and respectful of his opponents, especially players like Federer or Santoro.
Personally I don't think he did anything wrong either.  He just didn't win any/many fans that day....
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #292 on: October 01, 2008, 06:36:02 PM »
I don't have a problem with Andy off court.  In fact, I think he's great off court and in interviews.  I just don't like his attitude sometimes ON court - especially when he's playing lower ranked players.  He likes to throw his weight around.  He's fine when he plays players like Roger...but it's those up and coming players that he sometimes just... well.. acts like a jerk to.  But Andy is one of my favorites to read in interviews.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #293 on: October 01, 2008, 06:51:39 PM »
I don't have a problem with Andy off court.  In fact, I think he's great off court and in interviews.  I just don't like his attitude sometimes ON court - especially when he's playing lower ranked players.  He likes to throw his weight around.  He's fine when he plays players like Roger...but it's those up and coming players that he sometimes just... well.. acts like a jerk to.  But Andy is one of my favorites to read in interviews.
Do you have any examples of what you described?  I missed it! :confused1:

Is the Santoro incident one of those examples?
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #294 on: October 01, 2008, 06:59:12 PM »

No Santoro is not included.  When Andy played Tsonga at the US Open about 2 years ago, he treated Tsonga wrong; and there were several.  We had discussions about them on an earlier thread. (I'm having dinner now so I can't go into all of them, but there are several).

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #295 on: October 01, 2008, 07:18:15 PM »

No Santoro is not included.  When Andy played Tsonga at the US Open about 2 years ago, he treated Tsonga wrong; and there were several.  We had discussions about them on an earlier thread. (I'm having dinner now so I can't go into all of them, but there are several).
I guess the thread was before my time. :Confused:
What's for supper tonight? :))  j/k

I know Andy can get a little 'hot under the collar' sometimes, but I guess I missed the times he's mistreated opponents.
I shall be on my guard from now on. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #296 on: October 02, 2008, 10:44:28 AM »
No MT, we don't want Andy to lose anymore fans. :rofl_2: But Andy has acted jerkish before (like against Kohli at the AO this year or against Nishikori at San Jose). I think the good outweighs the bad by a long shot. :))

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #297 on: October 04, 2008, 11:31:15 AM »
See BGT this is why your Andy gets called a jerk rightly so sometimes because he lost me damn points in the Interboard game today  :mad1:  :rofl_2:
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #298 on: October 04, 2008, 11:57:34 PM »
Glad i forgot to play. You know I'd have had a Gasdick final :whistle:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #299 on: October 05, 2008, 02:01:36 AM »
Glad i forgot to play. You know I'd have had a Gasdick final :whistle:

Thats something on here we can safely say with confidence  :))
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!