Author Topic: Lendl tags McEnroe  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Lendl tags McEnroe
« on: December 08, 2007, 06:37:53 PM »
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Re: Lendl tags McEnroe
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 09:29:03 PM »
Lendl was well known for this tactic. It's not a bad thing, it's just that he felt it was the simplest, most effective way to win that kind of point. Kind of like the comment by Don Drysdale (pitcher for the LA Dodgers) who, when asked to intentionally walk a hitter, would plug him instead. Why throw for pitches to walk a guy when he could get the same result from hitting him.
McEnroe, of course, plays it for all it's worth. ..-)

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »
ouch, that's still cool though. Lendl was fair and square. It's all good.

I once nailed my friend right in the chest.. accidentally. Like I was just kidding around, and I wanted to hit the ball into the net really hard (you know like you do when you are angry or something) and we were talking and I was standing by the service line and he was standing just on the other side of the net and I slammed the ball as hard as I could, and instead of hitting the net as I intended, it hit him .. full force. It was funny but painful for him. I shoulnd't laugh but it was funny, and ouch that must have hurt.

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 02:18:03 AM »
It looked like Lendl's shot would have been out too seeing as how it hit Jmac high on his chest with great speed.  He should have been hit more often. 

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 06:22:39 AM »
Lendl was well known for this tactic. It's not a bad thing, it's just that he felt it was the simplest, most effective way to win that kind of point. Kind of like the comment by Don Drysdale (pitcher for the LA Dodgers) who, when asked to intentionally walk a hitter, would plug him instead. Why throw for pitches to walk a guy when he could get the same result from hitting him.
And the Intimidation factor can be HUGE in both cases! :)>>>>
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 01:29:30 PM »
And the Intimidation factor can be HUGE in both cases! :)>>>>

I've got the intimidation factor working for me big time....  :)~

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline mdshahid20

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 08:51:29 PM »

I once nailed my friend right in the chest.. accidentally. Like I was just kidding around, and I wanted to hit the ball into the net really hard (you know like you do when you are angry or something) and we were talking and I was standing by the service line and he was standing just on the other side of the net and I slammed the ball as hard as I could, and instead of hitting the net as I intended, it hit him .. full force. It was funny but painful for him. I shoulnd't laugh but it was funny, and ouch that must have hurt.
was this me or someone else? osmetimes if someone cheats in a match and the volley and i have an easy passing shot, i like to just own them in the chest. i was playing doubles once with a really bad teammate and he got hit in his "unmentionables" (ala JD froms scrubs) and i felt bad. I laughed at him anyway but i felt bad on the inside  :)~.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 11:43:46 PM »

was this me or someone else? osmetimes if someone cheats in a match and the volley and i have an easy passing shot, i like to just own them in the chest. i was playing doubles once with a really bad teammate and he got hit in his "unmentionables" (ala JD froms scrubs) and i felt bad. I laughed at him anyway but i felt bad on the inside  :)~.

not you, no. maybe I should do that to you, give you some more motivation to beat the crap out of me when we play.